Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Is 10yrs old too early to die?

So the DVD format officially turns 10 years old and it would seem that some of us are ready for its funeral already, but is it a death that is all too quick? Was 10 years long enough? In fall fairness, most people didn't really catch on until the midway point, maybe around the year 2000 is when things started to shape up as the format had all sorts of early bugs, just like HD. VHS obviously had a longer run than DVD, but maybe it's time was too long and there are still those hanging onto those tapes.

Personally I have spent the past 7 or so years building up a substantial collection, near 1250 or so. However, I could/would have much more, but over the past 3 years have really scaled back due to lack of good titles, poor transfers, poor extras, lack of DTS support, etc etc. I am to the point where I pretty much own every movie that I truly love, although there are still some I want on DVD (THE AFRICAN QUEEN comes to mind), but I am patient. About 30% of my DVD collection is rare out-of-print or import-only stuff, which makes it cool, but sadly the US market dropped the ball on certain titles forcing me to look outside the borders. I'm not necessarily mad to see DVD fade away, more sad that it was never the format that it could have been and was lazily handled by many studios. MGM comes to mind as one studio that pawned off poor prints that were recycled often times from the Laserdisc and if more DTS support would have been given I think DVD could have been more dominant.

What's everyone elses feeling?

Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    So the DVD format officially turns 10 years old and it would seem that some of us are ready for its funeral already, but is it a death that is all too quick? Was 10 years long enough?
    .................................................. .................................................. ..............
    and if more DTS support would have been given I think DVD could have been more dominant.

What's everyone elses feeling?
    I didn't realize that DVD is dying or that it isn't 'dominant'..... I thought it was the fastest selling electronic device in history (don't quote me on that, cuz I can't remember where I read that)... but anyway... DVD is very popular and I'm not sure what you think is killing it... What? Blue-Ray? HD-DVD? Have either of these formats started to significantly eat into the DVD market? Last I knew they were both still extremely expensive and having relative low sales compared to DVD...

Until you can pick up a good Blue-Ray/HD-DVD player for $70, I expect DVD to remain a viable and dominant format.

I think DVD will go the way of VHS, meaning that players will continue to fall, and the high end player market will dissapear. studios will continue to support the format for a few more years. then all players will be under $50 (like VCR's today)

Too early for whom? Usually consumers lament an impending change because of a heavy investment in an old format and/or financial anxiety about a new one. I'm not sure that either concern is relevant, at least right now, for standard DVD, which is strongly entrenched. But only hobbists would care. If all of a sudden a better mousetrap appeared on the scene--and all of the major mousetrap companies were poised to produce it--no one would complain about the old mousetrap's early demise. In the case of DVD, however, or any other home-entertainment format that attracts enthusiasts (people who buy products and get attached to them--for all sorts of reasons), changes can be threatening because enthusiasts' tacit attraction to innovation often contradicts their identification with "tradition." But nothing is more regular than change, especially in a digital age. Phono systems, CRT TVs, and VHS machines hung around a long time because of analog inertia; digital products are on a different curve altogether.

Suspended
    I'm with Carl on this one,I don't see DVD going anywhere soon. For one thing HDTV isn't in everyone's home yet and they sure aren't going to be concerned about HD-DVD. The longer HD-DVD and Blu-ray battle, the more likely they will become a nitch product like SACD/DVD-A, and may even die like that, although I believe the video formats have more potential than that. Thankfully for those of us with large DVD collections the HD players will be backward compatible if they do take off.

If DVD was handled lazily it's because it didn't have a competing format. Keep in mind those of us on this board are audio, video or both, hobbyists, people I see day to day just are not plugged into the newer tecnologies. I have HDTV but other than here, it's rare to find others who do. The doors are staying open at the mass merchants so I'm sure HDTV's are going to somebody, I just can't find out who.

Forum Regular

Hdtv

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I'm with Carl on this one,I don't see DVD going anywhere soon. For one thing HDTV isn't in everyone's home yet and they sure aren't going to be concerned about HD-DVD. The longer HD-DVD and Blu-ray battle, the more likely they will become a nitch product like SACD/DVD-A, and may even die like that, although I believe the video formats have more potential than that. Thankfully for those of us with large DVD collections the HD players will be backward compatible if they do take off.

If DVD was handled lazily it's because it didn't have a competing format. Keep in mind those of us on this board are audio, video or both, hobbyists, people I see day to day just are not plugged into the newer tecnologies. I have HDTV but other than here, it's rare to find others who do. The doors are staying open at the mass merchants so I'm sure HDTV's are going to somebody, I just can't find out who.
    Out of the 50 people i work with only 4 of us have a HDTV, Heck some of them dont even know what it is.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    The short answer is yes. I know people who say I have just too many DVD's to want to replace them all now. They've got to wait a generation.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Not going anywhere fast...

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Reid
    I didn't realize that DVD is dying or that it isn't 'dominant'..... I thought it was the fastest selling electronic device in history (don't quote me on that, cuz I can't remember where I read that)... but anyway... DVD is very popular and I'm not sure what you think is killing it... What? Blue-Ray? HD-DVD? Have either of these formats started to significantly eat into the DVD market? Last I knew they were both still extremely expensive and having relative low sales compared to DVD...

Until you can pick up a good Blue-Ray/HD-DVD player for $70, I expect DVD to remain a viable and dominant format.
    DVD will die a most likely slow death for some, just like VHS, which some people are still holding onto. I personally am not ready to switch over just yet, but I always knew the limitations that DVD had and the problems. While it has improved to some degree it becomes increasingly harder to watch DVD's when they don't look as good as HD programming. This is comparing even the best DVD's to HD programming, now if you actually get about 80% of the rest of the DVD's which are plagued with poor transfers than you have a no-contest HD winner.

My hope is that they do HD right and I am not convinced at this point that they are really ready to adopt a new format that can deliver what people want. People want superb picture, sound, and loads of extras. Until they get all 3 of those areas working in full glory most people will stay with what they have.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    My take is a bit different.

DVD isn't dying, but the universal, dominant format might be. DVD-A and SACD still enjoy a few releases. They aren't mainstream, but so what? Neither are Ferarri's. Look at all the digital audio formats. We used to talk about them dying and disappearing. mp3 seems here to stay.

Slowly we're seeing more and more special-needs and niche products find their way to little corners of the market. It's happening in almost every industry, I think it's almost a certainty that by the time downloading movies and music becomes 25% of the industry's business, we will have seen the last truly dominant format. And that very well could be DVD.
    How many video gaming formats are there? Music formats? Too many dollar-hungry media corps will put an end to the universal, standard format.

When are they going to start storing movies on little memory chips? Seems to me that this would be the easiest way. My camera has a small chip that holds 4GB of memory. A couple of years ago 1GB was a big deal. Soon the 4GB's may be old and cost pennies. How much space does a movie (HD or not) take up? Will this spell the end for both DVD and HD-DVD/BLU-RAY?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    When are they going to start storing movies on little memory chips? Seems to me that this would be the easiest way. My camera has a small chip that holds 4GB of memory. A couple of years ago 1GB was a big deal. Soon the 4GB's may be old and cost pennies. How much space does a movie (HD or not) take up? Will this spell the end for both DVD and HD-DVD/BLU-RAY?
    This would make the most sense, I think...Rather than fancy lasers and expensive hardware, put the burden on software.

For now, I think these HD movie formats are holding 30-50 GB at least. That's gonna be an aweful expensive chip...but in a few years who knows?

I wonder how congested internet traffic would get if legal downloading HD movies became extremely popular? I think everyone's sort of banking on that being a viable future alternative.

Judging by the shelf space given to HD titles, number of HD players I see in stores, and even the slow transition to HD for television service providers, I kinda wonder if the whole HD thing is still really a few years away from taking over.

My 2 cents, even tho the the equipment is here the avarage Joe is still years behind the power curve. Many are buying widescreen T.V. 's but still do not have the supporting gear to push the devices to their full potential. Most people are relying on the the cable company,Direct T.V. to supply the highend content. People still are lost on which type of cable connnection (Component, HDMI, S-video, Compostie, Coax, Optic) needed to get the highend results. And we all know most people hate to read the manuals that comes with their gear, and would rather call a friend for the answer.

So just like the computer industry, the audio/video industry will need to color code all connection to help the reading impaired ( I seen this on my Vizio WS32") so them will not have to spend much time reading about how to connect the equipment. If not for Xbox and PS3 using the newer blu ray and HD DVD, they both would not even be as popular as they are. And with the format war in full swing will continue to keep even us some what knowledgable folks from spending our cash on the loser. It took about 5-7 years for the Beta and VHS wars to end. So it may be awhile for this one to sort itself out. We were just lucky that the DVD and DVIX war was short lived and DVIX still lives on the net as a download format. So in short people ONLY TIME WILL TELL.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Ferrari's are not a format though...

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    My take is a bit different.

DVD isn't dying, but the universal, dominant format might be. DVD-A and SACD still enjoy a few releases. They aren't mainstream, but so what? Neither are Ferarri's. Look at all the digital audio formats. We used to talk about them dying and disappearing. mp3 seems here to stay.

Slowly we're seeing more and more special-needs and niche products find their way to little corners of the market. It's happening in almost every industry, I think it's almost a certainty that by the time downloading movies and music becomes 25% of the industry's business, we will have seen the last truly dominant format. And that very well could be DVD.
    How many video gaming formats are there? Music formats? Too many dollar-hungry media corps will put an end to the universal, standard format.
    I don't really see the illustration here because comparing this to a car doesn't really hold up well. When someone buys a car they typically only buy ONE car. We are talking about formats here and the problem with SACD or DVD-A is the limited amount of titles that one can get and it would be great if you could get a wider selection of them. HD-DVD and Blu-ray are lightyears beyond where SACD and DVD-A are. At least people are talking about the HD formats and getting studio support to some extent. Few people see a need for higher resolution audio, which is unfortunate. Quite frankly the majority of people listen to music in their cars, on computer, on a boombox at work, or some small system while they do other things. It's only the small majority of people like us on this site that actually sit around and just absord music. Therefore SACD and DVD-A are quite useless in a car system.

Still got life.

Unlike VHS, DVDs do not degrade (not at least as rapidly) over time due to wear and tear, or just by siting on shelf. I remember having the Star Treck movies on VHS, and may be played it 2 or 3 times. But after three or four years of just siting on the shelf, the picture got extremely noisy with faded colors. So it became worthless.

So as soon as DVD arrived, most people were glad to dump their VHS collection. But DVDs durability make it a commodity, and consumers might not be as quick to part with it as they did with VHS.

Sorry, I am just babbling

Release everything...

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    Unlike VHS, DVDs do not degrade (not at least as rapidly) over time due to wear and tear, or just by siting on shelf. I remember having the Star Treck movies on VHS, and may be played it 2 or 3 times. But after three or four years of just siting on the shelf, the picture got extremely noisy with faded colors. So it became worthless.

So as soon as DVD arrived, most people were glad to dump their VHS collection. But DVDs durability make it a commodity, and consumers might not be as quick to part with it as they did with VHS.

Sorry, I am just babbling
    I am somewhat convinced that they could put just about any movie or TV show of all time on DVD and there would be someone out there to buy it, the fact is that they have only hit about 15% of what is out there on DVD. There are still many films out there not on DVD and plenty of TV shows...I'm waiting for THE WONDER YEARS seasons on DVD....just kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    I don't really see the illustration here because comparing this to a car doesn't really hold up well. When someone buys a car they typically only buy ONE car. We are talking about formats here and the problem with SACD or DVD-A is the limited amount of titles that one can get and it would be great if you could get a wider selection of them. HD-DVD and Blu-ray are lightyears beyond where SACD and DVD-A are. At least people are talking about the HD formats and getting studio support to some extent. Few people see a need for higher resolution audio, which is unfortunate. Quite frankly the majority of people listen to music in their cars, on computer, on a boombox at work, or some small system while they do other things. It's only the small majority of people like us on this site that actually sit around and just absord music. Therefore SACD and DVD-A are quite useless in a car system.
    The point made was simple and the Ferarri comparison is quite appropriate here if you stop thinking in terms of "format" and consider each format as just a different kind of video media. You don't need to be the dominant format, or dominant product in ANY market (ie, cars, movies/music media, etc) to enjoy a successful run. SACD and DVD-A didn't replace CD, but they continue to satisfy audiophiles in a niche market who want more than than standard CD audio. When it comes to music, they are the high performance, luxury items, much like Ferarri is in its industry...each made to satisfy a niche market ...Right now, so are HD-DVD and BluRay. Only a very small number of people right now are willing to drop the money to move from DVD. There's a lot of us here who'd love to make the switch, we're probably way ahead of the regular joe-consumer when it comes to adopting new audio/video products, but there's still a few too many barriers to entry for us.

For most of the market, DVD is still good enough. There's a huge number of individuals who hope and want HD formats to become more affordable and mainstream (I even hope Ferarri becomes more affordable and mainstream ). We're all sort of banking on this to happen, but there's a good chance that neither will never take over and completely replace DVD as the "only" format available.

I think the problem here is that we've all sort of become conditioned to expect only 1 format in which all titles are released. But who made that rule? Sure, it offers benefits. But I think as long as there's companies looking to make a buck, they'll find different ways to talk consumers into buying "their version" of a product.

If all the studios were to continue to support DVD indefinitely, and not "force" the market into a new product by gradually discontinuing support, who knows how long they could co-exist? It could be years before BluRay or HD-DVD win out over DVD. Neither may ever reach that level. HD-DVD and BluRay could very easily release titles to a relatively small HD capable (or willing) market, while standard DVD continues to sell for several years. By then, a few future formats might be tempting that same niche market to opt for the new high performance product.

Like I mentioned earlier, how many musical formats are there currently? Let's just look at digital audio formats. WMA, mp3, Ogg, flac, etc...each appeals to different crowds for different reasons. I can remember back in the late 90's everyone expected the less common formats to disappear eventually. Hasn't happened.

Your points about people listening in their cars, on their computers, etc, really emphasize my point. We could probably all get by with only 1 universal standard format, but I think it's a very real possibility that days of 1 format only are over. I use LP's, CD's, DVD-A, SACD, and 3 kinds of digital audio - 1 for home, 1 for the car, 1 for my portable player - each offers certain benefits that make it ideal for my needs in their respective application. Quite honestly, having multiple media formats can be a blessing, too.

For video, well, we could very easily be headed for something similar. Especially as Microsoft looks to really be pushing HD downloading in the future - this could eliminate the need for a disc-based format altogether for many people. I don't think the downloading option is going to replace buying a disc in the store any time soon, but I wouldn't be shocked if in 2 or 3 years it represents a significant portion of sales.

I think calling the DVD format dead (or predicting its demise in the near future) might be a bit premature. Especially with so many of the video enthusiast crowd sitting on the fence still waiting for a winner in the HD-DVD/BluRay war. As long as sizeable portion of the market continues to use only DVD players, they'll keep making new DVD's. This could go on for another 5 or 10 years. They'll even continue to sell DVD's long after it loses the #1 spot.

So DVD's are not dying so much as they are growing old. There are a couple of new kids on the block. They have a lot of potential, but so far, still just kids. As these kids grow up, one may beat the other up. Bruised and beaten, the loser may limp on anyhow. Meanwhile, DVD's will still be in charge for a few more years. Some day, one of these kids will decide that it's time to take over, and challenge the old timer. Even then, the old timer won't die off right then and there. He'll pick up a cane at Wal-Mart and wobble on for another decade or so. Eventually he will fade away. And someday, these new kids will move on as well. Replaced by an even newer kid with more bravado than ever.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

DVD was introduced at the same time as the first HD broadcast. DVD was always going to be a stopgap device until HD laserdisc came about. The fact that DVD became so popular with Joe-SixPack was something of a suprise.

Suspended
    I don't dispute what you say but I don't know how anyone could be surprised when with a purchase of a DVD player you got 5 to sometimes more free movies. DVD was also clearly more superior than VHS and what made it popular with Joe 6-pack was CONVENIENCE, no rewinding, chapter access, perfect stills. etc. These things aren't going to change with another disc format, so the question is, will a HD disc be obviously more superior than standard DVD and will anyone care.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I don't dispute what you say but I don't know how anyone could be surprised when with a purchase of a DVD player you got 5 to sometimes more free movies. DVD was also clearly more superior than VHS and what made it popular with Joe 6-pack was CONVENIENCE, no rewinding, chapter access, perfect stills. etc. These things aren't going to change with another disc format, so the question is, will a HD disc be obviously more superior than standard DVD and will anyone care.
    I think Mr. Peabody brings up a good point. It is not video or audio quality that sells a format, for the most part, it is convenience. Remember, I am talking about the majority of buyers. Us audiphiles are in the minority and what we want does not add up to a hill of beans. It is a sad statement and we may not like it, but for most people, it is the truth.

Downloading has a huge potential, and due to its convenience, has made music sales in this format a huge factor. But, we all know that finding music you like in a lossless format is nex to impossible. CD quality is not even a standard. Even if HD material was available, bandwidth is still a major hurdle for most buyers.

DVD will die when a new, united standard, that is more convenient, provides a clear advantage,and is the same cost or cheaper when it enters the market IMO. If these things occur, the studios will support it.

Actually, I think the DVD format was probably born a few years too early (nothing new in that regard with digital formats). Right now, the company line from the various manufacturers pushing Blu-ray and HD-DVD is that the DVD was an "interim" format to hold the market over until the high definition formats come out. Interesting bit of revisionism going on right now, because this "interim" format just happened to evolve into the fastest growing consumer electronics format ever.

While the DVD format provided tangible benefits to consumers transitioning over from VHS and Laserdisc, it probably should have waited until the disc capacity and codec technologies were ready to support HD resolution. The HDTV specs were already in development in 1990, and the first HDTV sets came out in the late-90s. If the DVD had come out as a high definition format from the outset, the HDTV market would have taken hold a lot sooner and this idiotic format war between Blu-ray and HD-DVD would never have happened.

As it stands, Blu-ray and HD-DVD face a very uncertain market. Even though HDTV sales finally took off last year, it was wider availability of broadcast programming that drove those sales. With HD downloading and on-demand services looming, and the reality that Joe6pack very well might view the DVD fomat as "good enough," the market for HD video discs already has plenty of built-in impediments. Add this format war to the mix with neither format supported by all the major studios, and the DVD will not get supplanted anytime soon.

For most consumers, the DVD was their point of entry to 5.1 audio, progressive scan, random access chapter skipping, the now commonplace bonus features, and a much smaller form factor for their movie viewing. Blu-ray and HD-DVD simply provide better picture and audio quality, and enhanced multimedia/networking features. Those aspects might be highly consequential to a home theater enthusiast, but might not provide enough incentive to upgrade for most mainstream consumers, especially at the current pricing.

If anything, the DVD is simply at the end of its growth trajectory, because it's now the established dominant format rather than the upstart. Year-to-year sales continue to increase, but it's primarily new releases that now drive the market. Most of the popular catalog titles have already come out on DVD (in many cases, multiple times), and those with VHS and/or Laserdisc libraries have already repopulated their collections with DVD versions.

Keep in mind that it took six years for the DVD's market share to finally pass VHS, and even longer than that for the CD to supplant the cassette. Blu-ray and HD-DVD were only introduced last year, so there's plenty that still has to happen before either of those formats (or something else like HD downloading) surpass the DVD.
    Last edited by Woochifer; 04-03-2007 at 02:04 PM.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

[QUOTE=Woochifer
    Keep in mind that it took six years for the DVD's market share to finally pass VHS, and even longer than that for the CD to supplant the cassette. Blu-ray and HD-DVD were only introduced last year, so there's plenty that still has to happen before either of those formats (or something else like HD downloading) surpass the DVD.[/QUOTE]

Ok we will keep that in mind. Thanks.

Suspended
    I still think the amount of HD content from satelite and cable is terrible. I have had cable now for 2 years and not a single new HD channel has been added. There's no excuse for that. I think it's just greed. As long as they keep it limited, they can continue to charge premium fees for it.

Cool

DVD is popular with the great unwashed, which means its over.
    The future isnt any disc format, actually, its in a cable or sat signal.
    MY town has VOD, over a fiber optic cable, with plenty of HD content,
    a growing number of HD stations, and if you subscribe to a premium
    service you get vod privliges on a lot of their content, incluing HD!
    I can rent a standard def DVD or wait a few weeks and watch it over cable in HD and dont have to worry about returning it.
    AND on top of that digital cable content in standard def looks pretty good on my flatscreen, usually is DD, and the difference just isnt worth renting a DVD over.
    Unless you are a collector theres' really no reason to buy a DVD in my town anymore, and to heck with both HD and BLURAY.
    Both are overpriced and underengineered, too many geegaws you'll never use (trust me) and no compelling reason for people paying 3 bucks a gallon for gas to buy one (saw a "five hundred" dollar HD player for 399$ at short circuit or sears the other day_
    THE only REAL format that has a future is the HARD DRIVE,
    and other means of digital storage, we cant afford to make plastic oil based discs anymore to deliver content when a stream of photons or electrons over a wire will do pretty much the same thing
    Take a look at the music industry and all of the record stores shutting down if you want to see the future of hard copy video of ANY kind that you buy in a "brick and motar" store

Quote Originally Posted by recoveryone
    My 2 cents, even tho the the equipment is here the avarage Joe is still years behind the power curve. Many are buying widescreen T.V. 's but still do not have the supporting gear to push the devices to their full potential. Most people are relying on the the cable company,Direct T.V. to supply the highend content. People still are lost on which type of cable connnection (Component, HDMI, S-video, Compostie, Coax, Optic) needed to get the highend results. And we all know most people hate to read the manuals that comes with their gear, and would rather call a friend for the answer.

So just like the computer industry, the audio/video industry will need to color code all connection to help the reading impaired ( I seen this on my Vizio WS32") so them will not have to spend much time reading about how to connect the equipment. If not for Xbox and PS3 using the newer blu ray and HD DVD, they both would not even be as popular as they are. And with the format war in full swing will continue to keep even us some what knowledgable folks from spending our cash on the loser. It took about 5-7 years for the Beta and VHS wars to end. So it may be awhile for this one to sort itself out. We were just lucky that the DVD and DVIX war was short lived and DVIX still lives on the net as a download format. So in short people ONLY TIME WILL TELL.
    hey recovery one, the divix on the net has nothing to do with the ill fated divix of years past, dont ask why they named it that
    and HOW DO YOU LIKE YOUR vizio?
    I've had my 37 in for about six months and do NOTHING else but watch it

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information