Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Pix-Kex

I agree with you all. I think it is really a question of format and delivery. At the moment and probably for some time to come we will see a variety of formats but the one that is able to be delivered cheapest to the masses will be the winner. The availability of movies on demand is limited and somewhat new so your Blockbuster, Netflix etc will keep the DVD around (heck my local store still stocks a fairly substantial number of VHS tapes)

Enthusiasts will always be looking for the next best thing or the status symbol (hence the Ferrari analogy works for me) but enthusiasts are a small segment of the marketplace though they often are the drivers of innovations within any given are technology. To further the car analogy that Kex mentioned, right now the DVD is the Model T of the industry-cheap to make-cheap to own and does the job most people need it for. Until a new "Model T" comes out or the public decides they want a car that comes in a color other than black and has more features the DVD has a life.

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    DVD is popular with the great unwashed, which means its over.
    The future isnt any disc format, actually, its in a cable or sat signal.
    MY town has VOD, over a fiber optic cable, with plenty of HD content,
    a growing number of HD stations, and if you subscribe to a premium
    service you get vod privliges on a lot of their content, incluing HD!
    I can rent a standard def DVD or wait a few weeks and watch it over cable in HD and dont have to worry about returning it.
    AND on top of that digital cable content in standard def looks pretty good on my flatscreen, usually is DD, and the difference just isnt worth renting a DVD over.
    Unless you are a collector theres' really no reason to buy a DVD in my town anymore, and to heck with both HD and BLURAY.
    Both are overpriced and underengineered, too many geegaws you'll never use (trust me) and no compelling reason for people paying 3 bucks a gallon for gas to buy one (saw a "five hundred" dollar HD player for 399$ at short circuit or sears the other day_
    THE only REAL format that has a future is the HARD DRIVE,
    and other means of digital storage, we cant afford to make plastic oil based discs anymore to deliver content when a stream of photons or electrons over a wire will do pretty much the same thing
    Take a look at the music industry and all of the record stores shutting down if you want to see the future of hard copy video of ANY kind that you buy in a "brick and motar" store
    I have yet to find an HD program that can match the audio quality of a standard DVD. This seems to be where the sat\cable companies feel they can compress more signal without the average Joe noticing. But, for me, I have gotten to the point where I would rather rent a standard DVD then watch a butchered HD program.

TNTHD is the worst. They cut off the left and right portion of the video, then stretch it to fit the entire 16:9 screen. Not much better than DVD. Pretty sad!

[quote=pixelthis]the great unwashed

Who might they be, and who are you representing--the elite washed (who presumably are possessed of a higher knowledge) or the enthusiasts (though you've already dismissed them as ineffectual, and apparently not you)? Who's left, besides you?

(trust me) I'm sorry, but why should we do that? I'll bet you don't use all of the gee gaws on your TV either, but you still watch it. Many people (in a relative sense) have adopted Blu-ray and/or HD DVD with great success. The PQ is superior to anything that cable or satellite has been known to deliver, with gee gaws (if you like that sort of thing) that aren't ever likely to be available elsewhere.

One thing that you should do is decide what point you're arguing. Whether a format will actually catch fire and turn into VHS or DVD is irrelevant from a certain point of view. It is certainly not the same as claiming that it had no right to appear in the first place, or that it is a waste of technology. A new format's distinguishing characteristics and its appeal to a particular population may well be more important to interested parties than speculation about its longevity. If you think that hi def DVD should never have been offered because other delivery systems appeal to you more, you would do well to couch your opinion in less universal terms. It wouldn't take long at all to find well-scrubbed people who disagree with you.

Tnt-hd...

Quote Originally Posted by westcott
    I have yet to find an HD program that can match the audio quality of a standard DVD. This seems to be where the sat\cable companies feel they can compress more signal without the average Joe noticing. But, for me, I have gotten to the point where I would rather rent a standard DVD then watch a butchered HD program.

TNTHD is the worst. They cut off the left and right portion of the video, then stretch it to fit the entire 16:9 screen. Not much better than DVD. Pretty sad!
    This is a real shame. I have said this before on here, but feel the need to say it again because it's so insane. They first bastardize the film by cutting it for P&S, which means we lose about 35% of the film, then to make matters worse they stetch the film out to fill the frame making everyone look distorted and fat. So...we get an HD picture of a film that has been slaughtered, stretched, and squished.....sign me up for that! HAHHA.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    My local HD provider sends the higher bitrate Dolby for HD broadcasts (484?). The SD simulcast is almost always a lower bitrate, but all that aside, I don't find the compression to be all that terrible - just the opposite, it is extremely well done. It's damn close to DVD quality and usually I'm so engaged in the movie that I don't concentrate on the few times you can hear artifacts.
    As the switch to on-demand programming comes (which should save a ton of bandwidth) I expect the service will just continue to improve.
    HDTV has been available for only a few years now, and really only took off in the last 18 months or so...

All that aside, I don't think we're in any danger of seeing cable/satellite/internet service replace a disc based format any time soon. The home-movie industry was built on one simple fact - people like owning a copy of the movie. That's not going to change anytime soon.
    I could see video chains really getting squeezed out, however. They're losing in the convenience area to these alternatives big time.
    For one, the PPV prices for on demand service are too high.

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    There's no relationship between the DIVX DVDs and the DIVX format for video files commonly used for videos shared on the internet.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by emorphien
    There's no relationship between the DIVX DVDs and the DIVX format for video files commonly used for videos shared on the internet.
    like I said.
    Why do you think they named this great format after one of the most hated lawyer engineered schemes in history??
    BUT anyway I have seen a zillon formats launched, and trust me, like another poster said, it will be a niche format without the support of the masses.
    BUT what really burns my keister about both hd and bluray is they are about selling new players and making money, not serving the consumer.
    Much as I am leery of microsoft, they came out with a great format for HD, wouldnt have added much to the cost of a player and you could watch it on your HTPC if so inclined, and the pic and sound were great, I have two of the discs.
    THIS is the type of low key format we need until the future becomes more clear, too bad it wouldnt sell emough players, which is what its all about.
    So both camps turned out limozines when there is NO market for them,
    I have seen plenty of people raving about their new DVD player, playing through a converter from "the shack" on a coax cable on a tv
    with purple people on it, this is who you have to sell to.
    I looked at a side by side demo at sears , HD versus standard DVD and it was sad, the difference was so subtle most lookin at it remarked
    that they couldnt tell the difference, I could but just barely.
    Dont get me wrong, I love toys probably as much as the next poster on this site(posted a lot of reviews as moviedog) but I smell the smell of death about these formats, hope I'm wrong
    With all of the spending options these days most will look at these formats and decide that DVD is "good enough", if these formats make it it will be through heavy subsidizing .
    The mass market will have the final say, the same people who picked
    VHS over laserdisc, and if that doesnt scare you you cant be scared

I looked at a side by side demo at sears , HD versus standard DVD and it was sad, the difference was so subtle most lookin at it remarked that they couldnt tell the difference, I could but just barely.
    Slow down, there, pard'ner, I may just have to call bullsh!t on that.
    Were these people Morlocks or something? I don't know what the Sears are like there, but I do frequent quite a few a/v stores on my travels and one constant I've always observed is that HD discs on any system configured even halfway properly is far, far superior to DVD. It's not even close. There really is no comparison here - I'll even go so far as to say the difference in picture quality is at least as big a jump as it was from VHS to DVD - maybe more.

Either Sears can't figure out how to hook one up properly, or the TV's torch mode is unflattering, but HD is not just a subtle improvement.
    Now, 1080i resolution to 1080p, even 720p to 1080p reaches a point of diminishing returns, which I could accept as subtle in most living room applications, but 480p to 1080i is a jump and then some.

The transition to HD is going to happen one way or another. Won't be long until all video recording equipment is HD and that's all we'll get...one format or another, doesn't matter to me...Like I said earlier, the home-movie industry was built on the fact people like owning "things". Tangible things they can touch..ie, a copy of the movie. That's not going to change anytime soon. 5-7 years from now we'll have at least 1 new mainstream HD disc format. It's not the first time people upgraded video electronics, most made the switch from VHS without much issue....these things just take a bit of time.

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    like I said.
    Why do you think they named this great format after one of the most hated lawyer engineered schemes in history??
    I seem to recall the DIVX video format preceding the stupid discs.

Suspended
    Pixelthis, you are either fortunate or clueless. Let me say this in the nicest way possible, CABLE SUCKS!!! Our area is serviced by Charter and the company must be ran by the decendens of the 3 Stooges. They must put homeless people on the customer service phone with no training, they act like they have never seen a cable box and can't even tell me if PPV is HD or 5.1. My cable company has not added a single HD channel in 2 years.

My mom gave the kids a movie this weekend, Flushd Away, and it was a stupid full screen version. This made me think of this thread. If it is still profitable for movie companies to make full screen coppies, DVD ain't going anywhere soon. This is also evidence that HDTV has yet to be really "mainstream". Actually, when I look at movies at Wal-Mart,it is more difficult to find widescreen versions. I don't know if all this rederick is wishfl thinking or loss of touch with reality.

I'll be honest with you, I have 3 HDTV's, and I'm mad as hell that there isn't more HD content available. As a TV need arose I replaced it thinking HDTV was right around the corner. Yeah right.....

Talking

First things first, the demo was HD and on a 32 in screen, not the best of conditions, but this IS what people are seeing.
    I must admit I saw a bluray demo at short circuit that was quite impressive.
    But talking about the diff between 480 p and 1080i, the differences arent as great as most would think, when theres movement in a
    interlaced pic of any type the resolution drops to HALF, which is
    why 720p is superior to 1080i, not to mention artifacts that exist in any
    interlaced format.
    The reason hd beats the pants off of dvd is most DVDS are 480i,
    if that, and deinterlaced to 480p, you wont get any rez increase over standard tv, just more "solid" and colorfull pictures.
    So 1080i vs 480p in most cases is 540P versus 480i as far as rez goes.
    AND yes I am blessed, my cable company in many ways is just as
    medevial as most, but several years ago they switched to fiber optic (to the neighborhood in some cases, to the pole in others) and have been adding service, I guess they are nervous about the new upgrade coming from direct tv.
    SO I have a modem, (1.5 mps last time I checked) a motorola
    DVR cable box with HDMI, and a growing list of HD channels
    ALL local stations, including PBS , both of the espns, A&E, INHD,
    DISCOVERY (of course) , universal, golf, tnt, MHD (music vids and concerts) national geographic, and TNT., AND FOX SPORTS SOUTH.
    STARZ, showtime, and max are premium channels, and HD if you subscribe.
    ALL premium channels have some of their content on VOD (VIDEO
    ON DEMAND) some of it HD and no charge if you subscribe to the service, and of course the usual pay-per-view, some HD
    I set the rez on my box to 1080 and go, my TV seems to do a good job of presenting all of the standard digital material, dont know if the box upconverts it before it shoots it to my tv, but it looks great.
    Perhaps living in a college town helps, we used tro be a "market survey site" because of our wide demograpic, got albums, comics, books, etc a few weeks before anybody else, perhaps this is comcast sticking their toe in the water.
    Its great whatever it is, but HECK, it sure is expensive!
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Not even as simple as that...

But talking about the diff between 480 p and 1080i, the differences arent as great as most would think, when theres movement in a
    interlaced pic of any type the resolution drops to HALF, which is
    why 720p is superior to 1080i, not to mention artifacts that exist in any
    interlaced format.
    In scenes with a lot of fast motion, 720p is a bit better..slower movement, dialogue, and large epic scenes with minimal movement resolve better in 1080i - which happens to be the majority of images in most TV/movies...hence the decision to 1080i on most TV programming. Sports being the exception.
    The difference between 720p and 1080p, not nearly as noticeable to me as the diff from 480p to 720p. 1080i to 1080p in most scenes will go unnoticed unless we're talking about projectors on large screens...57" TV and lower, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Pixelthis, you are either fortunate or clueless. Let me say this in the nicest way possible, CABLE SUCKS!!! Our area is serviced by Charter and the company must be ran by the decendens of the 3 Stooges. They must put homeless people on the customer service phone with no training, they act like they have never seen a cable box and can't even tell me if PPV is HD or 5.1. My cable company has not added a single HD channel in 2 years.

HAHAHAHAHAHA Hey wait. I have cable! And yeah, they do suck. When I ordered the DVR's I told them to make sure I got the updated ones with HDMI. The homeless lady on the phone told me that they only have the one DVR and it doesn't have HDMI. I reluctantly ordered component cables from PE to wire the whole house. When the DVR's showed up, guess what connectors they had. Yup, HDMI. Jerks.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Hey Kex, I have to differ just a bit about the VHS change over to DVD. Just as with any other long used product, the VHS died a long slow death and still shows up as a ghost in small niche places. The VCR was a new toy for our parents (I'm 45 so I know a little bit) that they felt was the last real upgrade in the electronic age. The VCR was the first format that allowed people to own a film. So as technology advanced, I.E. DVD's most were not in a real hurry to jump on that band wagon. In many cases we baby boomer's (I'm on the tail end 1961) brought our parent's their first and possibly their only DVD player and first dvd movie. And like my self I had to get a dual machine that had both VCR and DVD, so they could still watch their collection of tapes.

I have been around to see music change formats 45,78,33 1/3 LP's to 8 track to cassettes to CD's to SACD/DVDA. Black & White TV's to Color CRT's to LCD's and more. And one day I too like my parents will just not get all excited about some newer format that will only show me the same old movie stories I seen over and over the years. And I am sure I will still be able to find DVD's somewhere to buy hopefully my kids/grand kids will buy me my first 3D movie viewer/hologram player.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

There's no need for any "format" to die.

first off, comparing this to VHS is totally bogus. That's a different medium. You can't put a VHS tape in a DVD player ...or A SACD player ..or a computer drive. Get the picture?

It's a different medium, just like vinyl, both of which were of the analog era and crearted with a single purpose in mind.

These 5 1/4" discs were created with the intent that they could be used for many different purposes, all determined by how the discs were written and what machines they are played in.

But, you tell Joe Sixpack they are gonna stop making DVD's. I don't think he'll be too happy. There's no valid reason, aside from pure greed, that they can't make future video formats downward compatible with the current "Stone age" DVD format.

They Shoot Laserdiscs Don't They?

Here's a question...

Why did a superior format like the 12" Laserdisc die? It was superior in all aspects when compared to the VHS format, except for it's size and perhaps the fact that you had to change sides or put in another disc, but even that was remedied with later players being able to play both sides.

Was it a lack of promotion? Was it a lack of knowledge? What was it? Maybe people just weren't ready to give up their beloved VHS tapes for something new just yet. This could be the same thing that happens to the HD formats. They are superior in sound, picture, and in time...extra features. Are people ready to get rid of their beloved DVD's? I still have about 70 Laserdiscs that I will not part with. I never owned a single VHS tape and I have over 1200 DVD's. I would love to get an HD player, but am waiting patiently for all the bugs to get worked out and for a player that can handle both formats beautifully. Until then....I stand in the corner with DVD.

good point Skies, I think that laser was just a bit out of the average joe price range back in the day. I remember seeing my first laser disk back in 79 or 80 and I thought then that was the next step. But I think the studio's back the VHS more and left the laser to died in the high end graveyard.

And for Mark, I can tell your a bit young to understand what I was saying in my earlier post. I was not comparing VHS to DVD as sources, but as the edge of technology to each generation. Please learn to read something and think about the impact of the words and not just the right and wrong of the message.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

I wish...

Quote Originally Posted by recoveryone
    good point Skies, I think that laser was just a bit out of the average joe price range back in the day. I remember seeing my first laser disk back in 79 or 80 and I thought then that was the next step. But I think the studio's back the VHS more and left the laser to died in the high end graveyard.

And for Mark, I can tell your a bit young to understand what I was saying in my earlier post. I was not comparing VHS to DVD as sources, but as the edge of technology to each generation. Please learn to read something and think about the impact of the words and not just the right and wrong of the message.
    my join date was 1969....that's so awesome!!!! lol.

a laserdisc was only a laserdisc, nothing more, and that's all it would ever be.

Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    Here's a question...

Why did a superior format like the 12" Laserdisc die? It was superior in all aspects when compared to the VHS format, except for it's size and perhaps the fact that you had to change sides or put in another disc, but even that was remedied with later players being able to play both sides.

Was it a lack of promotion? Was it a lack of knowledge? What was it? Maybe people just weren't ready to give up their beloved VHS tapes for something new just yet. This could be the same thing that happens to the HD formats. They are superior in sound, picture, and in time...extra features. Are people ready to get rid of their beloved DVD's? I still have about 70 Laserdiscs that I will not part with. I never owned a single VHS tape and I have over 1200 DVD's. I would love to get an HD player, but am waiting patiently for all the bugs to get worked out and for a player that can handle both formats beautifully. Until then....I stand in the corner with DVD.
    Did you ever time-shift with TV programs with that laserdisc? I did it all the time with a VHS recorder. That's the beauty of having a recordable media.

These magical 5 1/4" digital media storage devices, however, can be whatever it needs to be. It's a digital tablea rosa that cen be whatever the burner is programed to put on it. that same piee of plastic and aluminum can be a CD ROM, a redbook audio CD, an SACD. a DVD-Audio disc, a HD-DVD, a Blu-ray DVD, and most likely more that I forgot to mention. And, odds are it will be even more in another few months.

Young? Well, thank you, sonny.

Quote Originally Posted by recoveryone
    I was born in '49, watched the golden age of TV on first run shows and built my first tube amp in '62. ,,.and my oldest grandchild (out of five) is only 12, so I don't expect too many gifts from him yet, but his daddy knows what I like .

I subscribed to Audio, Hi-fidelity and Stereo Review (or wharever it was back then) and immirsec myself in this whole AV circus over the following 4+ decades, from both the inside and as a consumer.

And, as for impact vs. meaning of your words, I did consider them. You were simply wrong, that's all. Something I think you failed to notice in your time following this hobby is that it's convenience that rules the marketplace, not SOTA performance. That's the only reason that cassettes, and eventually CD's, did away with vinyl as a mainstream leader. And. while we're at it, VHS tapes had this in spades over laserdiscs as well. If SOTA was the main criteria, DAT would be common today and they would sell hi-end stereos at Wal-Mart, not $70 HTIB sets.

As for laserdics, it's biggest downfall was simply that you couldn't record on it. simple as that. If you could, it might still be around but. alas, you couldn't and it ain't. Time for it to join AM stereo, quadraphonic sound, elcassettes. two-speed cassettes and all the other outdated, unwanted, unneeded technology that served for a short period of time until more suitible means arrived.

At this time, the DVD, (Digital Versatile Disc) is truly the state of tangible media source. And, since it was designed from the get-go to be able to handle many different sources, it will most likely stay the common factor for quite some time to come.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD
    Last edited by markw; 04-09-2007 at 03:52 PM.

Suspended
    The cable company can't tell me if our HDMI is activated but that would be easy enough to find out. If I may hijack for a moment, I also have a Motorola (Moxi) cable box, in the set up it has 1080i, 720p, 480p&i and you check what your TV can display, I checked all of them, is this wrong? I'm using component out into my Toshiba DLP. I was thinking, "well if I only check 720p or 1080i, what would happen on the SD stations". I don't know if the box can upconvert, so I checked them all.

Not sure about your cable box, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    The cable company can't tell me if our HDMI is activated but that would be easy enough to find out. If I may hijack for a moment, I also have a Motorola (Moxi) cable box, in the set up it has 1080i, 720p, 480p&i and you check what your TV can display, I checked all of them, is this wrong? I'm using component out into my Toshiba DLP. I was thinking, "well if I only check 720p or 1080i, what would happen on the SD stations". I don't know if the box can upconvert, so I checked them all.
    ...I've got comcast with a Motorola HD box (dunno the model #) and it does output 1080i and it does upconvert any and all stations to that. The reason I can verify this is that I get about 20+ OTA stations and the 7 local network affiliates transmit OTA HD in either 720 or 1080 and, naturally, the SD stations are in 480. When these stations come in via cable, the box spits 'em out to the TV in 1080 and, if I say so myself, they all look pretty durn good. Not as good as HD, naturally, but they do NOT suck either.

And, when I power up the box, it displays the resolution it's outputting. I would hope yours does the same but, yes, the customer service reps I've encountered seem to be zombies for all the help they provide.

Oh, my STB does not have HDMI output but component is all it really needs as long as your TV accepts HD via component, and I think most do. And, for what it's worth, you lose nothing by using the cable box's component output, assuming it has one. That frees up a HDMI for another input, should you have one.

On my motorolla you turn it off, hit MENU, and there are a whole slew of options, including rez, pick a rez not compatible with your set and the pic disapears.
    Before I had this box I had one with componet, and a TV that showed
    the rez you were receiving, and that box output everything in 1080i, so I assume my new box with HDMI/DVI does also.
    As for the "HOMELESS LADY " on the customer service line mentioned by one customer, well, I have had similar experiences, look,
    cable service people, electronics sales people , most are minimum wage idiots who know NOTHING about electronics, I let the "service
    tech" hook my new box up with the coax cable like he insisted on doing, and when he left I set my system up the way I like it.
    I always wire my house the way I like it, replacing the quite often inferior splitters, cables, etc, with my own stuff. When I get sattelite
    I always install it myself, Micheal fremmer once told a tale of a friend who watched sat for a year on his megabuck system, unaware that the sat box was hooked up with a COAX CABLE!
    Not getting a good enough pic on your cable? Rerwire it with rg-6
    and decent splitters, and assume it was installed by a high school dropout, IT PROBABLY WAS.
    lOOK, AN ENGINEER WONT ANSWER YOUR PHONE WHEN YOU CALL THE CABLE COMPANY, or come to your house to help you.
    Not that I mind, half the fun of this stuff is hooking it up yourself
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

I think the current market is a bit younger, and more tech savvy than when VHS, Laserdisc or even DVD were first introduced. To that effect, adopting new formats is more "palatable". Not necessarily more desireable, but there'll always be that portion of the market that wants the latest gadgets.

All I'm saying, is they more you do it, the easier it gets. I don't expect DVD to go belly up fast, I expect it to continue on indefinitely, but slowly, HD formats will replace them.

Face it, these same electronics companies built those DVD players, I'm sure the average joe mass market DVD player won't last 10 years...so in a few years, people will look at replacing them anyway. When the walk in the store, much like when I needed to replace my VHS player, they'll see an HD format for around the same price, or maybe they won't be able to find many DVD players. The gradual transition cycle continues.

We've been a victim of this orchestrated formula of planned-obsolescence for decades now with plenty of products. It's nothing new. HD is coming. If HDTV's werent' selling and becoming the standard I'd question it, but making the switch is going to become very easy for everyone in a few years.

As for Laserdisc. I don't know about studio support etc, but I know I was an early buyer, and regretted it. Couldn't find many good titles. And from the day I bought it I knew that DVD was lurking in the background and promised to be much better in several years. It happened sooner than I expected.

Hd-ld

Few people are aware of the fact that they experimented around with doing HD Laserdiscs and they easily could have made LD a recordable format. The beauty of LD still is the fact that you can do better freeze-frame than DVD and the audio compression is far less. There are still a few LD's that are worthy of ownership as there is YET to be a better edition in one way shape or form. They are (and not limited to)...

BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA (Criterion Ed.) the only edition of this film to actually have color accuracy throughout the entire film. The DVD releases in ALL forms including Superbit edition. The LD is the only version which accurately gets the greens and oranges correct.

RONIN DTS Unless you get the Region 2 UK edition of the DVD you get jipped on the US editions of this incredible film with the lack of DTS. This is a stellar DTS LD that is uncompressed glory and will blow away majority of any DVD's out there. This was also an HDCD CD soundtrack.

BLADE DTS this is the last DTS edition laserdisc issued and sadly was one of the reference discs of the format. Unless you have the Region 3 Japanese limited issue of this DVD than you also get ripped off from the superb DTS for this film. Region 1 misses out, fortunately the sequels DO have DTS, but the original film is in need of the DTS soundtrack as well.

BLADE RUNNER (Criterion Edition) The European theatrical release (also available on Criterion Laserdisc) is 117 minutes long and more explicit/violent than the original American version, with a few additions/differences from the US release.

-Batty kills Tyrell by pushing his thumbs in his eyes, which bleed copiously.
    -Pris lifts Deckard up by his nostrils when she beats him up.
    -Deckard shoots Pris a third time; there are also more shots of Pris kicking and screaming when she is shot by Deckard.
    -Roy is shown while actually pushing the nail through his hand
    -Deckard and Rachael are seen riding into the sunset

TAXI DRIVER (Criterion Ed.) One of the few films containing commentary by Scorsese, at least that is HIS films, he often does commentary for Powell&Pressburger films, this is the only commentary track that he has done for this film and was exclusive for Criterion, the DVD is owned by ColumbiaTristar and does not have rights to the commentary, which is superb.

The following are LD that have DTS soundtracks that have yet to be issued in Region 1 with that soundtrack, although some of these are available in other regions with DTS. They are:

INDEPENDENCE DAY
    RANSOM
    THE GAME
    TRUE LIES
    SHINE
    ARMAGEDDON
    VERTIGO
    THE GETAWAY
    THE ENGLISH PATIENT
    EVITA
    PHENOMENON
    CRIMSON TIDE
    THE LONG KISS GOODNIGHT
    RED CORNER
    FLUBBER
    TIMECOP
    CON AIR
    HERCULES (Disney)
    MOST WANTED
    HEART AND SOULS
    SPAWN: The Movie
    HARD TARGET
    LOST IN SPACE
    MORTAL KOMBAT
    FROM DUSK TIL DAWN
    DEEP RISING
    MIMIC
    SCREAM 2
    KULL THE CONQUEROR
    THE MASK
    VOLCANO
    IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS
    RUSH HOUR
    SUDDEN DEATH
    MAN IN THE IRON MASK
    STRANGE DAYS
    FIRESTORM
    HALLOWEEN H20
    LAST MAN STANDING
    GREAT EXPECTATIONS
    BOOGIE NIGHTS
    VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED
    HOODLUM
    MR NICE GUY
    FIRST STRIKE
    HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME (Disney)
    KINGPIN
    STREET FIGHTER

you may notice that many of these titles are owned by Disney, New Line, or are crappy Jean Claude Van Damme films.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information