Forum Regular

source digital matter with a DAC?

I have a new DAC (its new to me)...a marantz DP 870. And ive got a lot of digital out components and im wondering if it really matters which one i use...

...are the digital source(s) from my DVD player, my Play Station or my CD player's digital out(s) all essentially the same? Im guesing its just a matter of the laser pickups...which would all be very close, if not identical, right? Im thinking the signal stays digital until the DAC so who cares where it gets read - the conversion is the important part...

Hvostic
    The difference will be in the quality of the disc playing mechanism. A DVD player will be better then the Play Station. I am not familiar with the Marantz DAC, but I recently bought a Musical Fidelity Tri Vista DAC and the difference in sound is absolutely spectacular. The DAC will probably pick up a lot of strange noises if you use the Plat Station.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by masstar
    I have a new DAC (its new to me)...a marantz DP 870. And ive got a lot of digital out components and im wondering if it really matters which one i use...

...are the digital source(s) from my DVD player, my Play Station or my CD player's digital out(s) all essentially the same? Im guesing its just a matter of the laser pickups...which would all be very close, if not identical, right? Im thinking the signal stays digital until the DAC so who cares where it gets read - the conversion is the important part...
    You're leaving out some important info here which would help greatly in answering your query. For instance:

1. do you use your DVD player to play movies? If so, do you have a surround sound system (including the 5 or 6 speakers) to handle the sound from the movie? Or do you just watch movies with stereo sound?

2. what is your receiver or preamp-processor (make and model #)?

3. before you acquired this new (to you) DAC, where was the D to A conversion handled ? In your receiver? In the CD player/DVD player/PlayStation?
    woodman

I plan to live forever ..... so far, so good!
    Steven Wright

Thread Information