Forum Regular

Must analogs be connected along with Digital Coaxial to get sound? Seems so...

I have the Onkyo HT-S760 home theater system and digital cable. I am running a digital coaxial audio cable from the digital cable box to the receiver. I then make sure the receiver knows that video 1 (TV) is coaxial connected. Sound, however, is nonexistent...

I then plug in the red/white analog RCA's, while the coaxial is still connected, and sound comes out. It sounds good, as though it's running entirely the digital route... but why must these analogs be plugged in as well? Or is the sound I hear likely just the analogs?

Any help would be appreciated... thanks!

NOTE: my xbox + DVD player are connected via optical digital, and they do not need any analog inputs to get sound... Thanks

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoostedA4
    I have the Onkyo HT-S760 home theater system and digital cable. I am running a digital coaxial audio cable from the digital cable box to the receiver. I then make sure the receiver knows that video 1 (TV) is coaxial connected. Sound, however, is nonexistent...

I then plug in the red/white analog RCA's, while the coaxial is still connected, and sound comes out. It sounds good, as though it's running entirely the digital route... but why must these analogs be plugged in as well? Or is the sound I hear likely just the analogs?

Any help would be appreciated... thanks!

NOTE: my xbox + DVD player are connected via optical digital, and they do not need any analog inputs to get sound... Thanks
    If your receiver is like mine in this respect, you have to not only tell it that there is digital signal is coming from this component, you have to choose between analog and digital. You may have to set it separately for EVERY component.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Kursun
    I don't have digital cable so I'm not familiar with its receiver setups. I wonder if it has a audio setup similar to DVD players, letting you choose SPDIF/RAW instead of analog...

Wink digital

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    If your receiver is like mine in this respect, you have to not only tell it that there is digital signal is coming from this component, you have to choose between analog and digital. You may have to set it separately for EVERY component.
    I have to agree with Geoffcin, your receiver should show if it is getting a digital feed or analog (most do) and once you set it, it should show the different kinds of digital feed its getting: Stereo(2.0), Stereo surround(4.0) or 5.1 it will vary from each station and program
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Thread Information