Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Suspended
    Not that chats would be bad, but it's a good idea to post a thread because not everyone is here at the same time and a thread will allow more of a variety of input oppose to some one being stuck in the chat..... well, let's say with Pix, and they wanted to know what the best DLP is. Or, to be fair, with me, and they wanted to know if Klipsch was any good. Of course, on the other hand, a one sided biased opinion would alleviate confusion from the poster getting opposing opinions

Chats could get people to hang around more though. I've seen some chats that moved so fast and so many posts, it was nearly impossible to keep up with conversation with some one. It may be something at some point to try and if it works great, and, if not, shut it down.

nightflier
    Hey I'm also in the PR department. How did that happen? I don't remember signing up for this. What is the PR department, anyhow? Do I need to do something? Will I get paid?
    Last edited by nightflier; 08-30-2007 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Not that chats would be bad, but it's a good idea to post a thread because not everyone is here at the same time and a thread will allow more of a variety of input oppose to some one being stuck in the chat..... well, let's say with Pix, and they wanted to know what the best DLP is. Or, to be fair, with me, and they wanted to know if Klipsch was any good. Of course, on the other hand, a one sided biased opinion would alleviate confusion from the poster getting opposing opinions

Chats could get people to hang around more though. I've seen some chats that moved so fast and so many posts, it was nearly impossible to keep up with conversation with some one. It may be something at some point to try and if it works great, and, if not, shut it down.
    Ok, how about still keep the threads, but you have the ability to IM whoever is currently online.

Suspended
    That only works if everybody has IM. I don't, and don't really see the need to set up an account.
    well, let's say with Pix, and they wanted to know what the best DLP is.
    Ha ha ha ha ha!!! Now that's a chat I'd want to evesdrop on!
    Quote Originally Posted by GM
    Dude, did you know that you were in the PR department?
    He didn't show up on the list when I looked at it. Sometimes this place gives me the creeps.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    He didn't show up on the list when I looked at it. Sometimes this place gives me the creeps.
    PS is his second name on this site. I remember him from his older ID.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    Oh. Well, another example of how under maintained this site is.

Im..

Rich,

The IM could be integrated into the site, not a secondary IM system like AOL or Yahoo, but a AR IM system that way everyone who has an account here has one.

So, who's going to step up and take over?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    Okay. I see. So if an inter-IM flame war starts, (i.e. I ask Pixe how to spell encyclopedia and he goes all balistic on me), there will be no one there to see it. How would we regulate/moderate that type of situation, or... would no one care.

Just kidding but IMO to have a real-time conversation takes time out of a person's day, and in the case where people are chatting while at work it could be a distraction, ya know?

Okay. I see. So if an inter-IM flame war starts, (i.e. I ask Pixe how to spell encyclopedia and he goes all balistic on me), there will be no one there to see it. How would we regulate/moderate that type of situation, or... would no one care.

Just kidding but IMO to have a real-time conversation takes time out of a person's day, and in the case where people are chatting while at work it could be a distraction, ya know?
    This site...a distraction? Nooooo. Say it ain't so!

Well, again I suppose it could be possible to do moderated chat rooms and IM capabilities. I find this being more helpful than those certain instances where certain said name trolls come lurking about in which case we have a handy IGNORE button. I also think that once a certain TROLL gets enough ignores from certain people that a prompt goes to a moderator with the ability at that point to eject/ban the Troll for good.

Suspended
    What is the PR dept.?

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    I've never noticed a speed issue, and it's safe to say I visit here a few times every day.
    Well, then you're one of the few lucky ones. This site has always been glacially slow to load, compared to most other sites I've frequented.

But at least before the censors went nuts a few years ago, there was a LOT of traffic, making the wait to load worthwhile. But the combination of extreme censorship AND slow servers killed this place long ago.

These aren't complaints, merely observations.

Jeff
    PIONEER: SX-780, CT-F700, HPM-100(x4), DV-C302D, PD-F1007, PL-514; DENON: AVR-983; SONY: D-15, DVP-985V, DVP-CX860(x2); TOSHIBA: XR-9459; TECHNICS: SL-1800MK2, SL-1700MK2, SL-1400MK2; NAD: PE2200; PARADIGM REFERENCE: STUDIO 100 V.2, SERVO-15, X-30; CERWIN-VEGA: DX-9; REALISTIC: MACH 2; RCA: 42" LCD HDTV

Forum Regular
    I first found AR toward the end of the last century--I'm not sure just when. I had listened to a great many speakers over many years and was pretty familiar with the NRC measurements because Audio-Video Canada and its predecessors used them, and I was somewhat familiar with the work of Dr. Floyd Toole. Knowing something about logic and methodology, naturally I found myself in sympathy with mtrycrafts.

It seems to me that when people ask questions about equipment, then technical and audibility considerations are relevant. However, the rules appear to favor relegating them to The Audio Lab, which means those asking the questions on other forums can't get an adequate answer. I'm not much interested, therefore, though I do look in on the Speakers forum occasionally.

My main musical interests are in various classical genres, and when I first found AR, there was considerable discussion of classical music in Rave Recordings. I now have much less to contribute at RR, but I like the fellows over there and learn a lot about other genres of music, so I look in there every two or three days, anyway, to see if I can contribute anything.

The Reviews are no doubt a main attraction at AR, and they can be helpful if one reads them and screens out the ones who haven't used the equipment and just want to gain an adolescent thrill in bashing something. Just looking at the rating numbers is mostly useless.
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

groovebuster

Maybe that describes what happened to me a few hours ago or maybe it just describes me I'm beginning to think. I'm typing a reply, a rather lengthy one I suspect, when a screen suddenly appears from Aperion Audio. Not a drop down advert mind you but the entire reply to thread page was hijacked and there was no way for me to return to AR let alone save my message. Is this what was referred to earlier by a member stating SPAM is coming through AR? I don't know but this is the second time it's happened. The first time I thought I may had done something wrong but not this time. This is liable to piss some people off if it happens to them. Let me testify to that. jim

It would seem that there are a ton of newbies that post in the Vintage section...anyone have an explanation for this? Also, it would seem that majority of the people that post in the Photo Gallery do not come in the Forums and vice versa.

Redundancy

I think part of the problem is people can ask the same questions so many times and people will get bored. How many threads do you see in the speakers forum titled "What speakers should I buy?" or something close to that.

Quote Originally Posted by flippo
    I think part of the problem is people can ask the same questions so many times and people will get bored. How many threads do you see in the speakers forum titled "What speakers should I buy?" or something close to that.
    So, what speakers do you think I should buy? I want the best speakers available. Money is no object. I have up to $300 to spend.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by flippo
    That happens everywhere though. I've been a member of auto, computer and video card discussion forums and it's the same thing. IMO the search functions of vBB's is pretty much useless so that, among other factors will contribute to the redundancy. In some cases I'm glad to see that because it helps refresh my memory about one person or another's opinions and experiences.

Suspended
    Yeah, GM needs new speakers already.

Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    It would seem that there are a ton of newbies that post in the Vintage section...anyone have an explanation for this? ...
    my guess is that someone new, or someone who is getting back into audio, can get a very good sounding vintage system for relatively cheap. in some cases dirt cheap if you get lucky or know where to look.
    AR MGC-1, AR C225 PS, M&K V-1B, Pioneer VSX 47TX, Oppo BDP-83, Squeezebox v3, Vortexbox Appliance.

Suspended
    Dingus, how do you like your EAD? Anyone looking for a bang for their buck should jump on that stuff at Audiogon.

Dingus, how do you like your EAD? Anyone looking for a bang for their buck should jump on that stuff at Audiogon.
    i love it. my first DAC was the Entech Number Cruncher, a pretty good DAC for $65 to my door. luckily the EAD came up on craigslist shortly thereafter for $185. the owner had it upgraded by EAD so in effect i got a DSP 1500. its a big step up from the Entech, i cant imagine doing without it now.
    AR MGC-1, AR C225 PS, M&K V-1B, Pioneer VSX 47TX, Oppo BDP-83, Squeezebox v3, Vortexbox Appliance.

Yeah, GM needs new speakers already.
    You could send me those B&W's if you like.

Suspended
    They're black and definately would not go with your room's decor!

They're black and definately would not go with your room's decor!
    I have other rooms they could go in.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread Information