Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Suspended

What?

After my last post I got to wondering how many reviews I did have, to my surprise I only have 5. I have written more than that. None of my reviews of my Krell, Arcam or other gear I may have reviewed are here, I reviewed my Denon 1600. Where are these? Do they delete after so much time, did we lose reviews when the website switched to the new format? Are these around somewhere but a profile only counts back so far? Anyone know?

How about if we would introduce a Dealer only board. Dealers could respond to queris from members, or give their opinion what would go well with what, or/and inform this forum about new releases. As-long as there is no blatant advertising and it is very clear what brands each dealer is involved with.
    Just a thought.
    I also think that we should stop hankering after the past and who has gone. Those members that have left are totaly unimportant to new members and I am sure that can be off putting and could be misunderstood by some newbie. This is the only forum that I know of without a charmed circle. And long may it continue.

Peace

"Let The Earth Bear Witness."

I first came to this site for reviews, and I still enjoy reading them everytime I visit this site. But I have yet to find an easy way to search for gears. Why does anyone have to choose a category then click a beginning letter of manufacturer's brand name? Then go thru 500 SONY DVD players before I get to 777 or 999ES.

Why do I have to search:
    "A-R.com + product name" on google?
    There gotta be an easier way....

But as for AR forums, I like it just fine.
    I used to start a thread with basic questions, and used to receive a nice welcome with great info. If it wasnt for them, I woulda ended up with a HTIB. I think we just gotta be nicer and stop being ELITIST JERKS!!

So what is your budget, DA!!!

JRA

Homogenization...

Sounds to me like the same reasons why those of us who have stayed around are the same reasons (to some degree) why we can here in the first place, which indicates to me that this site needs some versatility in order to attract new people in and have different reasons for keeping them here. For the most part, us regulars, all have similar interests and while we might have a slightly wide range of equipment and styles/tastes, we represent a very small demographic as a whole.

These are all great discussion points, let's keep the buzz going and most of all try and put some things into action once we establish some things.

pizzaz and function

I'm pretty new here and respect my elders but maybe I have an insight or two. First, the names of threads should be compelling, offering somethin different and interesting. Think about that. Like maybe their should be a brief description of what's inside- a teaser so the speak- to further draw the interest of the browser. A suggestion . . "Diamonds in the Ruff" followed by "lesser known movies to share" or, maybe "your favorite smaller or lessor known films" or "fire away, you got the floor". Whatever begets action. Keep that in mind.

When we title a column "Tweaks, etc." give it a sub title (cause I'm thinking what tweaks?). There is buzz startin about silver fuses and silver paste contact cleaner. Somehow we should make Tweaks less esoteric in meaning, more interesting, now and real world. Always ask, does anyone really want to check this out?

Separate amps from pre amps, tubes from solid state. Where can I listen to samples of new and, perhaps, not easily obtained recordings? Young people are always lookin for tunes. What can we do differently? What would make a new person sign in? Think about what is go to and catchy

And, of course, the colors and graphics need updating. This is a biggy. Everybody in marketing knows that the package is everything. Hamburgers, everything. Look no further that Shandling for an audio example. A rudimentary CD player but with a center piece design. They got out of the gate strong based on looks alone. I built my own wedsite for nothing. If I can do it, etc. If we are talking advertising dollars, you've got to have potential for a larger market. They will take appreciation of our efforts.

You main guys, you know who you are, add color to your commentary. I don't mean humor or sarcasm, tho I love it, the intelligence and wit of smart men and women gases me, use it, but in your description of whatever it is that you're talking about. Review stuff. Somebody step up here. Write articles but don't put readers to sleep. I'm doing one on the heyday of West Coast jazz (I don't promise that it won't put you to sleep) that I'll stick on this bad boy. Management should solicit this sort of thing. HiFi News in the UK, I think it's them, are having a contest to bring on new contributors. A column like this should get a headline. Come on ladies, pick a subject. There is a cat in the galleries that's from Korea (my best guess). Ask him to tell everyone about his audio experience in his native tongue. Let's go after the Far East. Can we translate to incoming? If so, tell em.

Most of you are capable of adding pictures. Do more of that. It's attractive. I don't mean in the galleries, but that's cool, rather with your comments every time it's appropriate. Scan cartoons out of the New Yorker and elsewhere when it's relevant. What . . you don't subscibe to the New Yorker? Start a thread. Visits to the audio store with quotes from the resident experts. Call up designers. What's happening in New York or Seattle? Wanna be the magazine? Start thinking that way. Contribute.

Jaymo, sorry, mate, I know I'm spelling your name wrong, has the most dynamite portrait of a woman on his signature, if that's the right nomenclature. Appearance is everything! Just ask the fashion or cosmetics industries. Worry about substance later. You got that already and it will be appreciated. I know that this statement may be offensive to your intelligence, and if you look like me day to day it's a bitter pill, but it's true.

My favorite example of rebirth is Arm&Hammer baking soda. Once upon a time, ladies baked at home. When they stopped, whadda think their execs were thinking about about? They came up (with the help of some marketing experts, I expect) with the job it does on odor in the fridge. How many households own fridges? And that's sorta kinda of what we're talking about. In their case, they struck with the original packaging. You can't do that.

You have to be unique to do that. We have to get new. They had been a house hold name. Wanna be a house hold (listening room) name? Start thinking that way. But we're gonna have to turn this place upside down first. Yo, it's dooable.

Think cosmetics, points of interest, and in your substance, think that you want he or she to come back.

Now, I'm on my third glass of red, my limit. I've spent more time editing this damn thing than I did writing it. Maybe we're not that ambitious. That's cool, but we can be better. We can be the best.

PS- Much of this has been said already, I mean to confirm that and add some energy if I can.
    Last edited by jim goulding; 08-26-2007 at 01:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jim goulding
    I'm pretty new here and respect my elders but maybe I have an insight or two. First, the names of threads should be compelling, offering somethin different and interesting. Think about that. Like maybe their should be a brief description of what's inside- a teaser so the speak- to further draw the interest of the browser. A suggestion . . "Diamonds in the Ruff" followed by "lesser known movies to share" or, maybe "your favorite smaller or lessor known films" or "fire away, you got the floor". Whatever begets action. Keep that in mind.

When we title a column "Tweaks, etc." give it a sub title (cause I'm thinking what tweaks?). There is buzz startin about silver fuses and silver paste contact cleaner. Somehow we should make Tweaks less esoteric in meaning, more interesting, now and real world. Always ask, does anyone really want to check this out?

Separate amps from pre amps, tubes from solid state. Where can I listen to samples of new and, perhaps, not easily obtained recordings? Young people are always lookin for tunes. What can we do differently? What would make a new person sign in? Think about what is go to and catchy

And, of course, the colors and graphics need updating. This is a biggy. Everybody in marketing knows that the package is everything. Hamburgers, everything. Look no further that Shandling for an audio example. A rudimentary CD player but with a center piece design. They got out of the gate strong based on looks alone. I built my own wedsite for nothing. If I can do it, etc. If we are talking advertising dollars, you've got to have potential for a larger market. They will take appreciation of our efforts.

You main guys, you know who you are, add color to your commentary. I don't mean humor or sarcasm, tho I love it, the intelligence and wit of smart men and women gases me, use it, but in your description of whatever it is that you're talking about. Review stuff. Somebody step up here. Write articles but don't put readers to sleep. I'm doing one on the heyday of West Coast jazz (I don't promise that it won't put you to sleep) that I'll stick on this bad boy. Management should solicit this sort of thing. HiFi News in the UK, I think it's them, are having a contest to bring on new contributors. A column like this should get a headline. Come on ladies, pick a subject. There is a cat in the galleries that's from Korea (my best guess). Ask him to tell everyone about his audio experience in his native tongue. Let's go after the Far East. Can we translate to incoming? If so, tell em.

Most of you are capable of adding pictures. Do more of that. It's attractive. I don't mean in the galleries, but that's cool, rather with your comments every time it's appropriate. Scan cartoons out of the New Yorker and elsewhere when it's relevant. Start a thread. Visits to the audio store with quotes from the resident experts. Call up designers. What's happening in New York or Seattle? Wanna be the magazine? Start thinking that way.

Jaymo, sorry, mate, I know I'm spelling your name wrong, has the most dynamite portrait of a woman on his signature, if that's the right nomenclature. Appearance is everything! Just ask the fashion or cosmetics industries. Worry about substance later. You got that already and it will be appreciated. I know that this statement may be offensive to your intelligence, and if you look like me day to day it's a bitter pill, but it's true.

My favorite example of rebirth is Arm&Hammer baking soda. Once upon a time, ladies baked at home. When they stopped, whadda think their execs were thinking about about? They came up (with the help of some marketing experts, I expect) with the job it does on odor in the fridge. How many households own fridges? And that's sorta kinda of what we're talking about. In their case, they struck with the original packaging. You can't do that.

You have to be unique to do that. We have to get new. They had been a household name. Wanna be a househouse (listening room) name? Start thinking that way. But we're gonna have to turn this place upside down first. Yo, it's dooable.

Think cosmetics, points of interest, and in your substance, think that you want he or she to come back.

Now, I'm on my third glass of red, my limit. I've spent more time editing this damn thing than I did writing it. Cheers.
    Those are great ideas. When I take over this website I'll appoint you as the director of web operations.

Forum Regular
    Being a newbie here, I thought I would give you all a perspective from one who doesnt know the site or the people here very well at all. Firstly, I found most of the responses helpful and useful. More responses from a greater number of people would have been better, but one can only expect so much. Secondly, for whats its worth, I posted the same threads here on 2 other sites, and got more from folks here, than at the other two.

I didnt read every post here, but read several, and feel like you are all being too hard on your selves. High end audio, or even audio in general, is not something the common person is going to get online and want to discuss. The majority of people, when posed with audio needs or questions just rush down to Bestbuy and get something the salesperson recommends. Research and discussion in audio is mostly for audiophiles and people with too much time on their hands looking for a social outlet. And like already pointed out, many discussions inevitably degrade to similar resolutions. I dont see how this can be avoided. But I would agree that the strength here, as for any online site, is its people and their friendliness, keep that up, and you all stand a chance.

Take care all,

Jim

I could use a spell checker myself.
    So could a few others. Many of the newer sites have this simple addition.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular
    > I could use a spell checker myself.

Actually, if you use Firefox as your web browser, the spell checker is built-in. That way it is available to you independent of the web site.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jim goulding
    Most of you are capable of adding pictures. Do more of that. It's attractive. I don't mean in the galleries, but that's cool, rather with your comments every time it's appropriate. Scan cartoons out of the New Yorker and elsewhere when it's relevant. What . . you don't subscibe to the New Yorker? Start a thread. Visits to the audio store with quotes from the resident experts. Call up designers. What's happening in New York or Seattle? Wanna be the magazine? Start thinking that way. Contribute.

You have to be unique to do that. We have to get new. They had been a house hold name. Wanna be a house hold (listening room) name? Start thinking that way. But we're gonna have to turn this place upside down first. Yo, it's dooable.

Well, I'm playing the "catch-up" game today and that in itself may be telling. A lot of folks don't have a lot of time.Anyway, the above is but one quote out of several with which I agree.

It must be said that I don't completely consider the situation "dire" so I don't agree with the very premise of this thread, but jim's on to something for those that would increase the traffic around here. 'Course for every action there's an equal and oppposite reaction, so be careful what you wish for. The biggest trend in music is P2P and DLing, so any significant increase in new contribution would necessarily bring about deadend conversations about the new Plies or Breaking Benjamin or Akon or Children of Bodom or whatever. It occurs to me that many of you will not be open to such things.

But, yeah, there are some things that we could do around here to market the place to be more inviting and for that we probably need to look at the things that we have done that are successful. "What's Spinning" picks up 50 to 100 views a day might be extremely newbie friendly if we ever responded to them. GSwishy's "Top 50" thread was great until it started running the gamut between ridiculous and obvious. The "YouTube" posts were always good for some visits.

We have lost some characters (the most recent to come to mind are Dusty and RL;where be you jim and Peter?) many of whom were the most frequent to contest or battle something with which they disagreed. Some have held that this is due to the mods but really this may be due to us. I mean, when was the last time something got transfered over to the Steel Cage? Does the Steel Cage even exist anymore? When was the last time a thread even bordered on being so uncivil as to lock it? I'm not really one for meaningless internet battles but I already pick on jayrhymedaddy enough...I could step it up if y'all think some conflict will help (and realistically, to an extent, it probably would if current television programming is an indicator)

At the end of the day, like others, I come here for the people. I can't imagine anyone being able to say that they've benifited more from this place than I have as far as gear and music selection goes. Still I come here for the personalities.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by jim1961
    Research and discussion in audio is mostly for audiophiles and people with too much time on their hands looking for a social outlet.

Jim
    Is there a difference between these two types of people? lol.

We Gotta Get This Guy...

Here is a person who would be great to have some discussion with around here....

http://gallery.audioreview.com/showp...o=1463&cat=503

Here's an idea for discussion . .

Here’s an idea for discussion regards PSky’s recent post about Mutiny and the state of AR.

I’m thinking a new format would help. I’m thinking a newspaper format. A front page with a headline (this would change frequently). Some pictures varying in size. Articles could include industry news and articles by members (this should be encouraged) and industry guests. Readers could be directed to another part of the paper depending on the article. Include a letters section. A box for contents at the bottom left like most papers. That’s how readers would enter. Regards any articles on this page, they could continue if need be by clicking on "con't".

Contents should include something like:

“Enlightened repartee by members of all things audio and video”. This would be the forum which I think is the reason most people are likely to join and stick around. New readers should be directed to a Join Now page to appear at the end of this section to include rules. At the top of every page there should be a banner, no, a bar, of where to go for this and that. Consolidate.

"Audio and Film reviews and commentary by members". The section should have separate sections for each. Encourage repeat entries by staying topical with what’s happening.in the here and now. During Oscar time, for example, encourage readers to nominate.

A "Supporting Industry Advertisers" section and MRSP when available to include dealers in addition to manufacturers to include a page of how to advertise in AR.

"Q and A". This would be for people opening with a question. Sections should be split out like CD players / DVD players / Amplifiers / Pre amplifiers / Hi Def Flat Screens / and so forth.

"Classifieds". Give Audiogon some competition. This is how they get paid.

"Letters and suggestions".

Each section should have its own sub-sections similar to what AR has now.

I don’t much care about systems myself but many do and so there should be a place for that. On the other hand, this could be done by just beefing up a profile section with more detailed information and photos when members want to submit.

The paper should be three color, of course, like USA Today.

Here’s a bad idea . . drop down advertisements. They’re annoying and bolster the impression that AR is about sales rather than news and information and discussion. The home page as it is begs for a change. The newspaper format would give AR a totally different look and the conditioned response is to turn to the section you want, as you do the paper, or browse em all.

Advertisers would see that AR is taking a big step to expand its market and esteem and that should translate to more advertising dollars.

(later) Failed to say anything about the review section. That's a keeper. And the layout is good. Just that the opening page needs some artwork or something.
    Last edited by jim goulding; 08-27-2007 at 12:08 PM.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    Here is a person who would be great to have some discussion with around here....

http://gallery.audioreview.com/showp...o=1463&cat=503
    Are they speakers or china cabinets?

Hey Rich

"Free Money" oughta get you dancin in your seat on the way home, too. It's got that
    tour-de-force thing going as well what with that slow intro, gradual build, and balls to the wall finish.

Suspended
    Jim, it's the third song on my Patti Smith Essentials comp, right after Gloria and Redondo Beach.

Linear Guy

Don't despair, there are lots of things to discuss.

When I first joined the site was a little more instructive. Lots of excellent advice being doled out by Wooch, Kex, etc.

Two areas interest me now,

1) a discussion of equipment symetry and
    matching components and .....

2) frank discussions of the value( or lack thereof) of Pacific Rim high end. Its not going away, and we are all bargain hunters so just how close can we get to the flame?

It seems like there are quite a lot of people who had a hard time changing over when this Forum changed it's format a few years ago, I am curious from those that were here back then why this shift was hard to make and would that happen again if we made changes again? Would we lose people in the shift and would it be worth it in order to attract more people in the long run?

I know that some people have a hard time adjusting to change, but if it is for the better than it shouldn't be as much of an issue. One comment that quite a few people seem to say is that the site is so slow and hard to really do anything like post pictures and such because it takes so long. I can agree with that.

Suspended
    I was thinking of leaving during the change because the forums were totally different then and I was used to them. I wasn't very good on the computer, and still not. Once I got used to doing it this way, I couldn't go back. Now I've been here a long time and unless the site was so screwed up I couldn't use it or it took too much time, they are stuck with me.

As much as I like talking to everyone, I really don't like the PM, the way it's set up. It seems to me like I have to go through a lot just to get to what was written.

I don't find the site slow on my comp'. It does take longer to load than other forums, Once loaded it's fast.
    I was around on the old format, I didn't mind it but knew it had to be updated to handle increased traffic. Basically alot of knowledgeable members left and haven't returned. Sure there was flame wars, but half the time I didn't get the arguments anyway.
    And my post count should be at least double what it is now.

Does anyone else think that topical chatrooms would be helpful here? The reason I ask is because we were talking about ways to get new people connected and perhaps if they are able to ask quick questions in an open chat we can provide quicker responses. Most of the time newbie questions are about certain setup and/or 'what should I buy" and most of the time does not require a thread to get that accomplished, usually just one or two of us responding gets the job done. Also, a chat room about music would also be cool, especially if we were able to upload files so that people could listen, even if it was only samples.

Does anyone else think that topical chatrooms would be helpful here? The reason I ask is because we were talking about ways to get new people connected and perhaps if they are able to ask quick questions in an open chat we can provide quicker responses. Most of the time newbie questions are about certain setup and/or 'what should I buy" and most of the time does not require a thread to get that accomplished, usually just one or two of us responding gets the job done. Also, a chat room about music would also be cool, especially if we were able to upload files so that people could listen, even if it was only samples.
    Sure, but who we gonna tell?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Sure, but who we gonna tell?
    Well, who are the powers that be? We need to find out more about the nuts and bolts of this site. The function of a mutiny doesn't work unless all of us are working together to make changes.

Well, who are the powers that be? We need to find out more about the nuts and bolts of this site. The function of a mutiny doesn't work unless all of us are working together to make changes.
    Dude, did you know that you were in the PR department?
    http://forums.audioreview.com/showgroups.php

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Dude, did you know that you were in the PR department?
    http://forums.audioreview.com/showgroups.php
    That's news to me. Weird. Ok, so now we see a list of the people, but how many of them are still active and active with the site? Do these people get paid?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information