Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Chicago IL
    Quote Originally Posted by eastcoaster
    if you're gonna go with two equilizers one after the other you're gonna need an amp with a preamp in the back of it.with your pre out and main in inputs.do not try to hook it up through you tape monitor inputs.you'l need to go out from your amp from your pre out into your first eq main in,then from the pre out of eq #1 to the main in of eq #2 then pre out of eq #2 back to the main in on your amp. it will work but if you want to do it but i'd recomend hooking up a reverb wth an eq instead of two eqs.
    That is exactly how I was thinking of doing it but like the other people said it will make the sound worse with 2 equalizers so it is better to keep only one!

I have a preamp and amp! Everything I have is separates!

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    The major problem with the Ashly setup is that it is XLR connected only. That is a problem with the majority of HT equipment out there, even though it is a better connection. You still have to measure the room carefully before using this kind of product. If you don't know what you are doing with this thing, you can make acoustical problems electrical and phase problems as well.

For most folks that do not have the proper measuring equipment, I would advise you to pick a system that does the work for you. The Audussey system only asks that you set up the microphones in the best places for viewing in your room, and it does all of the rest. The results are ear opening to say the least.

The Ashly also has 1/4" inputs/outputs, common to pro-audio gear. Quality RCA to 1/4" connectors are available. I use this PEQ judiciously (my system requires a max of 3dB cut on any band, no boost anywhere) and the acoustical effect is stunning. Even though I have a full spectrum analyzer with computer analysis capabilities, I also trust my ears and quickly improved my 2-Ch audio system with minimal drama. It isn't hard or scary.

I'm not dissing the Audyssey system, nor have I used one. I'm just saying a high quality PEQ is a terrific piece of gear.
    Last edited by mijs; 02-09-2010 at 10:05 AM.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by dakatabg
    That is exactly how I was thinking of doing it but like the other people said it will make the sound worse with 2 equalizers so it is better to keep only one!

I have a preamp and amp! Everything I have is separates!

I've GOT to ask this:

Why do you want (or need) TWO equalizers in your system?

Chicago IL
    Quote Originally Posted by mijs
    I've GOT to ask this:

Why do you want (or need) TWO equalizers in your system?
    i was thinking that if i have 2 eq it will improve the sound quality but i was wrong. I was just curious and thats why i asked. That is the purpose of the forum to ask questions and to share knowledge

Forum Regular
    I think he wants two EQ's in attempt for even more bass/treble. His mission might be MAX SPL rather then HI-FI.

Just get an amp with lots of RMS watts if you want that.

edit: Basically, using EQ will only degrade the sound quality unless its done properly with a parametric EQ. But then again, what is your definition of sound quality? Some people like pumped up bass and treble but truth is a speaker sounds more ACCURATE without EQ (unless its done right). A speaker sounds LOUDER and more powerful with EQ. Its a tradeoff.

Are you looking for power or accuracy?

Chicago IL
    that i like bass is true but i don't want to have so much that you can't stay in the room.

i was just curious like i said. I have eq and they improve the sound a lot and i was wondering how it will sound with 2 eq

Forum Regular
    that i like bass is true but i don't want to have so much that you can't stay in the room.

i was just curious like i said. I have eq and they improve the sound a lot and i was wondering how it will sound with 2 eq
    Most people including myself use no EQ, no sound enhancers, no bass boosting, nothing. The reason for that is to try to get the most pure sound possible. When you add enhancers or boosters or EQ, it can make things sound very digital and fake, like processed and artifical. And sometimes EQ works good for one song but the next song is recorded differently so you have to re-EQ it. So many like me just dont use EQ at all.

If you notice that some stereos dont have EQ like a clock radio, TV, cheap boombox. Or most stereos are set with the EQ off by default when you open the box and plug it in brand new. Its basically the industry standard.

If you are looking to "spice" up the sound and fool around with EQ, effects, and enhancers, thats all personal prefrence. Add two EQ's if you want. Or you can use some of the Dolby enhancers and such. Just know that the more you alter the signal, the less it is to what was actually recorded.

Forum Regular

Got it.
    I can relate to the "If some is good, more is better" philosophy, but not with EQs. : )
    Good luck and have fun!

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EYEdROP
    Most people including myself use no EQ, no sound enhancers, no bass boosting, nothing. The reason for that is to try to get the most pure sound possible. When you add enhancers or boosters or EQ, it can make things sound very digital and fake, like processed and artifical. And sometimes EQ works good for one song but the next song is recorded differently so you have to re-EQ it. So many like me just dont use EQ at all.
    You are not getting "pure" sound even if you don't use enhancements or electronic acoustical correction. Pure sound means that your walls, ceiling, and floor play no role in what you hear, the sound is completely neutral. That is not the case at all, as the room plays a vital role in what you hear. No speaker is immune to room related reflections that cause havoc with time and imaging(and frequency response to boot).

If you notice that some stereos dont have EQ like a clock radio, TV, cheap boombox. Or most stereos are set with the EQ off by default when you open the box and plug it in brand new. Its basically the industry standard.
    A clock radio, TV, and boomboxes have one thing in common - they all have small speakers relative to bookshelf or floor standing speakers. They do not have the frequency response, or the acoustical footprint of a regular speaker. Putting EQ in them is like putting tits on a male dog, it serves no purpose.

If you are looking to "spice" up the sound and fool around with EQ, effects, and enhancers, thats all personal prefrence. Add two EQ's if you want. Or you can use some of the Dolby enhancers and such. Just know that the more you alter the signal, the less it is to what was actually recorded.
    When you realize what listening rooms do to sound, then you run out and get a RTA and the necessary equalization to correct it. Avoiding EQ is not going to make your sound better, it will just make it less optimized for the room the speakers sit in.

All speakers that are sitting in four walls need some type of electrical correction applied to them, especially in the bass region where the room dominates what you hear.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Forum Regular
    Interesting, and I appreciate the "purist" point of view. Here's what I've found:

1. Except perhaps for acoustic instruments in an anechoic chamber (or outdoors), "pure" sound is an illusion. Its color changes with every iteration of the recording and playback process. Your cartridge, CD player, speakers, and listening room all add or subtract something from the original sound. A quality PEQ can return balance to an acoustical system.

2. A purely analog PEQ like the Ashly does not contribute a hint of "digitalness" or "processed" sound to the playback.

3. Of course, it all depends on how obsessive you are, but I use pretty much the same settings for most quality recordings. Sure, there's occasionally an old CD or LP that's recorded so poorly it screams for drastic EQ cuts, but newer recordings are pretty good.

I know it's not in vogue to use eqs, but in the right hands, a good one is a wonderful thing.
    Last edited by mijs; 02-09-2010 at 01:02 PM.

Forum Regular
    I agree the room has a huge affect on the sound. And yes, EQ can help with the room and bring balance back but ONLY if done properly with software and mics or with a good ear and sine sweeps. I use parametric EQ to tune the bass in my room because there are many suckouts and peak, which is typical in a domestic room. Eventually Id like to get some DRC unit or software.

Making a smiley face EQ like the OP is not a proper EQ.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    I use parametric EQ to tune the bass in my room because there are many suckouts and peak, which is typical in a domestic room.
    Do you have any acoustical treatment in the room? I use 5 DIY bass traps to neutralize the bass. An EQ can't change a boomy room.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Do you have any acoustical treatment in the room? I use 5 DIY bass traps to neutralize the bass. An EQ can't change a boomy room.
    I have layers of bed foam and arc shaped diffusers placed around my walls and ceiling. This made a huge difference in the mids and highs. I spent alot of time placing the foam and diffusers correctly. But I dont have any sufficient bass traps. I tried to make a DIY bass trap with lots of bedfoam and fiberglass rolled up with chickenwire, but it did not make much of a difference.

Im gonna order some Owens 703 soon.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Here's a great DIY recipe for a bass trap. Start with the corners of the room (4), and add a couple more if you still need to.

http://www.teresaudio.com/haven/traps/traps.html

Chicago IL
    I just got Yamaha GE-60! Does anyone know if they are any good ?

dakatabg;
    Please don't get offended. The smiley face setting for EQ sliders is almost guaranteed not to make the sound better. That's one of the most common settings. Unfortunately it usually has nothing to do with better and/or more accuracy.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Forum Regular

No first hand experience with that model, but it should be pretty effective and fun to play with. You'll want to have ear plugs handy when you crank up the pink noise!

All of these little 10 band EQ's are utter trash. Don't waste your time with cheap EQ, it is not going to make your system sound better.

If you want effective EQ, It won't exactly be expensive, but it won't be as cheap and ineffective as these audiosource EQ variants.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Chicago IL
    Thanks guys! I think I will just give up on the equalizer!

Forum Regular
    Thanks guys! I think I will just give up on the equalizer!

Huh???

You said you just GOT the Yamaha.

Chicago IL
    Quote Originally Posted by mijs
    Huh???

You said you just GOT the Yamaha.
    I work with electronics so I get a lot of stuff everyday! I buy and sell a lot so i have many thing at home!

I have

Kenwood ge-76
    Teac EQA-20
    Yamaha EQ-60
    Marantz EQ-10
    Technics SH-8066
    BSR EQ-3000

and the list is endless! so the Yamaha can be sold in like a couple of days!

Forum Regular

eq

I personally love my eq, Doesn't matter what any one states here. You might like it. The only ears that matter are yours.

jjp

Quote Originally Posted by jjp735i
    I personally love my eq, Doesn't matter what any one states here. You might like it. The only ears that matter are yours.

jjp
    One reason one presents a question on this board is to perhaps get a little common sense, and balance of thought to go along with those personal ears.

We can fool ourselves into believing that anything is good, even if it is bad as hell.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    The major problem with the Ashly setup is that it is XLR connected only. That is a problem with the majority of HT equipment out there, even though it is a better connection. You still have to measure the room carefully before using this kind of product. If you don't know what you are doing with this thing, you can make acoustical problems electrical and phase problems as well.

For most folks that do not have the proper measuring equipment, I would advise you to pick a system that does the work for you. The Audussey system only asks that you set up the microphones in the best places for viewing in your room, and it does all of the rest. The results are ear opening to say the least.
    all you need is a sound level meter and an eq it will plug into

I go with Sir T on this one. Although they can be fun to play with, in my 43+ years in this obsession I've never heard any inexpensive 10 band equalizer make anything sound better. I stopped trying to make them work more than 20 years ago.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information