Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Chicago IL

Equalizer Question

I have an equalizer question! I see that there are equalizer that start form 30 frequency, from 31, 31.5 and most of the time 32! Is it true that the lower the number the better?

Here is another question! Is it good to connect 2 equalizers one after another?

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Actually its the bandwidth the EQ covers that is most important. The EQ in the picture is a 10 band EQ that is basically too crude to use for anything.

The most common usable EQ is a analog or digital 1/3 octave 30 band EQ, where the first band begins at 20hz.

The better EQ's are digital 1/6, 1/10, 1/20 and 1/30 EQ's which the latter can basically correct most anything. The latter is extremely expensive, and I have not seen a lot of these around.

It is a terrible idea to cascade two EQ's together. The phase issues alone with this setup would be enough to turn anyone off on it.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

I will add with what STtT said that using an EQ is something that takes understanding the properties or sound reproduction and what musical information is at different frequencies and using an EQ without having knowledge in how to use it can often lead to unnatural sound that is extremely boosted at the frequency extremes and hollowed out in the midrange. I seen it many times where a person without knowledge of how a EQ can help a system will just do the scoop thing that they have seen others do which in most cases makes the sound of any speaker system unnatural but to it over emphasizes the bass and upper treble so it has a since of better sound to the sound uneducated.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Quote Originally Posted by dakatabg
    Is it true that the lower the number the better?
    While the apparent picture of the typical *smiley face* settings as illustrated looks smooth, in actuality it would result in a roller coaster of peaks and valleys ending up with a most unnatural sonic result.

Do you understand there are sonic compromises made to the signal integrity in terms of phase and distortion with even one in the path?

rw

Chicago IL
    Thanks for answering my questions! I was curious because I was using realistic equalizer and I changed it with a teac and the Teac sounded much better and the realistic eq started from 32 and the teac from 30 so thats why I asked!

For connecting one after another I asked because I saw a friend who did that and he had way too much bass but the sound was still clear!

Forum Regular
    To the OP: Make sure you take care of other problems first such as speaker placement and getting rid of echos inside your room. Then use EQ very last. The less EQ you have to use, the better because of less distortion. Thats why putting 2 together is a bad idea

The best way to EQ is this: Use a parametric equalizer. It lets you specifiy exactly what frequency you want to adjust and the width of the adjustment. Graphic equalizers like your teac only have 10 different pre-determined frequencies. A parametric Equalizer is much more precise.

What you want to do is download a program called SineGen for Windows. Slide the frequencies up and down and listen for frequencies that get suddenly louder. Whatever frequencies get louder, you want to turn down on the EQ. Whatever frequencies are too quiet, raise on the EQ. You want every frequency to sound the same volume level if that makes sense.

It takes patience since the human hearing can hear 20,000 frequencies.

I have an equalizer question! I see that there are equalizer that start form 30 frequency, from 31, 31.5 and most of the time 32! Is it true that the lower the number the better?
    Those numbers correspond to the frequency that you can boost or reduce. Whether that first frequency is 30, 31, 31.5 or 32Hz makes very little difference. Those types of equalizers are more of a gizmo than anything. They most probably do more harm then good. Beside, if you want to be accurate you'll want to work with an SPL meter. A 10 band equaliser, as Sir TtT said, is not going to be able to flatten the whole frequency spectrum.
    If you're system is mediocre, there's no harm in using an EQ. If you want something better, leave it out

the realistic eq started from 32 and the teac from 30 so thats why I asked!
    lol, I'm suprised you think you got an answer to that. I don't think anyone understood that part, that's why I've chimed in.

Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    Whether that first frequency is 30, 31, 31.5 or 32Hz makes very little difference.
    You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. Here's a single frequency sweep from 30-39 hz. Each frequency lasts ten seconds. Try it out!

rw

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.
    Which is what I said no?
    Quote Originally Posted by EStat
    Here's a single frequency sweep from 30-39 hz. Each frequency lasts ten seconds. Try it out!
    Sorry, no full range speakers or subwoofer here

Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    Which is what I said no?
    Yes. It was intended for the OP to determine for himself. There is also the possibility that he shares the same situation as you.

rw

Chicago IL
    Thanks for all the answers! Thats why we are here to help each other!

I have everything kenwood home and I see that the best equalizer is GE-1100

What do you guys think, is it good to get them or not?

I have everything kenwood home and I see that the best equalizer is GE-1100
    How are you seeing the best is the GE-1100 ? by the low number? 16 hz? Id avoid an eq with depth and delay-time controls. It may be alright to EQ a mild peak or a dip here and there but that's it, anything more and your creating more problems

16 hz is kinda useless for music unless you have a lot of very warped records, then you can cut the lowest frequencies to keep your woofers under control.
    Musical Fidelity A3.2 Integrated amp
    Musical Fidelity A3.2 CD
    Teac DS-H01 Dock
    Energy 22 Reference Connoisseur Speakers
    Cardas Cross and Cardas Hexlink Golden 5C
    Tara Labs RSC Reference Gen2

Chicago IL
    I meant that the best EQ Kenwood has made is the GE-1100! Do you know any better Kenwood EQ ???
    Last edited by dakatabg; 02-06-2010 at 12:22 AM.

I meant that the best EQ Kenwood has made is the GE-1100! Do you know any better Kenwood EQ ???
    Ok, I see. No I don't know of any better Kenwood EQ though I never really looked for one either.
    Musical Fidelity A3.2 CD
    Teac DS-H01 Dock

Ok I looked, the Kenwood GE-7030 would be the one i'd buy if i had to buy a Kenwood...its a parametric.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Equalizer Question-image.jpg  
    Musical Fidelity A3.2 CD
    Teac DS-H01 Dock

Chicago IL
    I have seen the GE-7030 but I never thought they will be better! Well I will start hunting for a good deal!

If you really want a EQ that will really help your system you should try a receiver with Audussey EQ

http://www.audyssey.com/technology/m...solutions.html

In all of my years calibrating home theater systems, this is the most effective system I have ever used by far.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

I have seen the GE-7030 but I never thought they will be better! Well I will start hunting for a good deal!

Its a parametric eq which means you can alter the center frequency of each band of the eq...this gives it much more flexibility for frequency correction.

There are better and higher quality eq's out there but if you want to stay all Kenwood this is where I'd go. (GE-7030)
    Musical Fidelity A3.2 CD
    Teac DS-H01 Dock

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    If you really want a EQ that will really help your system you should try a receiver with Audussey EQ

http://www.audyssey.com/technology/m...solutions.html

In all of my years calibrating home theater systems, this is the most effective system I have ever used by far.
    HATE to agree with sir talky about anything, but the Audyssey is a nice system,
    even on my (reletively) cheap receiver(1,000$)
    Not only does it set the levels but also "eq's" every speaker dynamically, which solves the problem of EQ on a 7.1 system.
    Dont have mine on at the moment, preferring my music two channel straight, no chaser,
    but the sound is very good with it.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Forum Regular

Or a Rane Or an Ashly PEQ...

I picked up an Ashly 572 PEQ a few years ago and it is SUPERB! Each channel has 5 fully parametric bands plus low and hi shelving filters. Quality is excellent and it is a scalpel when it comes to fine tuning. Discontinued now, but can be found on pro audio sites, ebay, etc.

Chicago IL
    Here it is for $350 on ebay!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ashly-PQX-572_W0...#ht_500wt_1182

I have never heard of this brand Ashly!

The major problem with the Ashly setup is that it is XLR connected only. That is a problem with the majority of HT equipment out there, even though it is a better connection. You still have to measure the room carefully before using this kind of product. If you don't know what you are doing with this thing, you can make acoustical problems electrical and phase problems as well.

For most folks that do not have the proper measuring equipment, I would advise you to pick a system that does the work for you. The Audussey system only asks that you set up the microphones in the best places for viewing in your room, and it does all of the rest. The results are ear opening to say the least.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Forum Regular
    go with a soundshaper 2 if you want quallity

Forum Regular

if you're gonna go with two equilizers one after the other you're gonna need an amp with a preamp in the back of it.with your pre out and main in inputs.do not try to hook it up through you tape monitor inputs.you'l need to go out from your amp from your pre out into your first eq main in,then from the pre out of eq #1 to the main in of eq #2 then pre out of eq #2 back to the main in on your amp. it will work but if you want to do it but i'd recomend hooking up a reverb wth an eq instead of two eqs.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information