Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
    Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    Here's another Reviewer's persepective (pretty much the same line, though):

http://www.avguide.com/blog/first-li...r?src=Playback

Or is this the same article that was discussed earlier? In any case the comments that follow are entertaining to read.

What I really would like more "reviewers" to address is what the effect of this has been on how high-end audio is perceived. Personally if I was a hi-fi dealer, I'd have quite a bit to say about this.

Ahem... some of the products that I've been a bit skeptical about are the hi-priced digital media streamers like Soloos - sure it's pretty, but let's be honest, it's just a computer with a touch screen running slightly massaged OpenSource software. In the end, putting a Meridian label on a computer doesn't justify charging $10K for it. As a matter of fact, after yesterday's presentation by Steve Jobs, I think the iPad and an external Dac can do most of what Soloos does for a fraction of the cost.
    That's a new link... Thanks for posting it... It is way too polite about what Lexicon did though... Frankly it really sounds as if there is an attempt to in some way justify the price difference, by saying that Lexicon has a supportive dealer network.... I'm seriously supposed to pay 7x the price for that??? Riiiiiiight

God, I remember those massive Infinities...Never listened to 'em. Always thought I'd have to put on a gorilla suit if I did.....Wow...Just, wow!
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

RGA
    Forum Regular
    As an addition what you are paying for with the meridian system is in two parts - the touch screen loading aspect is NOT required for playback - you can use a laptop to save yourself money - the soolos interface is $5,000 but if you don't want it don't buy it.

My dealer carries it and I saw first hand how it works and I have to say it's pretty cool and very easy to use that old geezer audiophiles can use it without an instruction book. Simply insert disc and it automatically stores it with the picture of the album and play list - it's dead easy to use. Something that itunes is not. And the new iPad looks to be a piece of utter junk http://gizmodo.com/5458382/8-things-...about-the-ipad

Incidentally the sound of the Meridian soolos system was very good and the interface is very good. Whether it's worth 12 grand is an entirely other matter - perhaps wait for the Chinese to copy it and come out with their own version for $2,000.

nightflier
    GRA, ironically, the Sooloos does less than the iPad. I agree that the iPad is basically a dissapointement for those who wanted it to be a complete computer (it's basically an eBook reader that plays video). But it's also true that if the iPad wasn't hobbled by iTune's interface and allowed another one to be installed, it would pretty much be the Sooloos minus a good DAC. But more to the point, the iPad costs just $500, 1/10th the price of the Sooloos.

Yes, I agree that the Meridian interface is cool for the technologically-challenged, but it's still an OpenSource app that they've massaged a little bit - in short: it's not their own innovation. Actually nothing on the Sooloos, is - it's a bunch of cobbled together existing technologies... and for that "hard" work they get to charge $10-12K for it?

Yes, I agree, there's always someone dumb enough to pay for the convenience, but we have to be honest about what it is above all: over-priced rebadging.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Well I agree - I certainly won't be in line paying $5grand for the thing. It's one of those - "this is cool and it works great" but my laptop will run it just fine and there is no "sound quality" aspect to the thing so it's not worth it IMO.

For $5 grand this is what I will be looking at - no wonderful features but it will get my butt off the couch to change the cd myself. http://spintricity.com/64/6873/jan-2...te-continued-2

WOW! Hate i dropped off this thread back in Jan. I've owned Revels since 2003 or 2002, can't remember, anyway, i' ve returned to the dealer many times and listened to both Revel and Infinity speakers and they sound somewhat similar (in a good way), but yet quite different.
    Meaning, Harmon does share technology and with my limited budget, i take advantage of this scenario... while i cannot afford Revels to complete my 7.1 setup, i use Infinity Primus speakers to round out my side and rear speakers (because of the close timbre match).
    While I don't think they re-badge everything, i do think the technology is shared and for that reason alone you can piece together a very nice surround setup without breaking the bank going with the high end brand.
    If your looking for a nice mid level surround system, you could do much worse than a Revel/Infinity/JBL mismatch system. Trust me, I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express!

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel_
    WOW! Hate i dropped off this thread back in Jan. I've owned Revels since 2003 or 2002, can't remember, anyway, i' ve returned to the dealer many times and listened to both Revel and Infinity speakers and they sound somewhat similar (in a good way), but yet quite different.
    Meaning, Harmon does share technology and with my limited budget, i take advantage of this scenario... while i cannot afford Revels to complete my 7.1 setup, i use Infinity Primus speakers to round out my side and rear speakers (because of the close timbre match).
    While I don't think they re-badge everything, i do think the technology is shared and for that reason alone you can piece together a very nice surround setup without breaking the bank going with the high end brand.
    If your looking for a nice mid level surround system, you could do much worse than a Revel/Infinity/JBL mismatch system. Trust me, I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express!
    "TarHeel" I would have said the same thing (word for word) I choose to take advantage on that "scenario with the (Beta line) 50s front 20s Sr 360s center...because it was simple "Common sense" after looking an listening to both the Revels and the Beta grills on grills off!! and rapping with the sales man a lil'bit... I didn't get into the metrics of "why and "how come??!! I just take me a great (deal) on the Infinity Beta line these are some beautiful speakers even if though the Revels supposed to be better speaker.

even the best of audiophiles would be having second thoughts after looking an listening to the JBL's, Revels, & Beta's in the same listen session at the same location.
    Last edited by winston; 05-10-2010 at 08:19 AM.
    Chet Baker-Trumpet
    Pepper Adams-Baritone Sax
    Herbie Mann-Flute
    Bill Evans-Piano
    Paul Chambers-Bass & Connie Kay-Drums
    (....ALONE TOGETHER....) DEC. 30 1958
    produced by...Orrin Keepnews...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread Information