Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

There is a difference in Sound Quality on Fiber Optics Cables!

Despite what many sell appointed audio geniouses insist here, there is a difference in the sound quality of optic fiber cables or at least between glass and plastic ones. Based on someones comments on this forum, I checked out glass cables and got someone to give me a good deal on Ebay as I did need some anyway. I figured if there was no difference like alot of people insisted, so what. Well, it turns out there is a significant difference in the sound quality between glass & optic cables which I observed first hand. Strangely, for my tastes, even though the glass cable produced a significantly stronger signal with much more power in the sound, I still prefer for at least music, the generic plastic one, as the weaker signal and sound, sounded more natural to me if that makes sense. It comes down to preference. If anyone is looking for these at a good price, please contact me here & I'll even give you a
    free 7 day period to return them if you're not happy. I'll probably still use them for my TV but
    for my music purposes I prefer the weaker plastic one. Will sell the 6.5 foot glass optic cables for $30 each postpaid in the US.
    Last edited by EdwardGein; 07-02-2005 at 04:28 PM.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Exactly what about the plastic or glass would make a digital signal better or worse for short lengths such as home audio?

Hershon, you've compared 2 cables, one example of glass and plastic, don't ya think it's a bit early to be stating you've found the differences?

Forum Regular
    if all the 0 and 1 go through.... how can the signal change in a plastic or a glass fiber???

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by popolz
    if all the 0 and 1 go through.... how can the signal change in a plastic or a glass fiber???
    First of all irregardless of what I'm saying about the cables, your 0 and 1 premise is naive though I believe it is shared by a majority of people on this board. Most if not all people professionally involved in high end audio or recording studios will tell you what is produced is more than 0 & 1's- no I don't understand the technical reasons why but people who believe you're just producing 0 & 1's clearly don't know anything about audio sound. Yes I'll go on record as saying that. I think if you'd contact most recording studio engineers as well as manufacturers of audio equipment they'll tell you the same. But I fully expect you guys to put me down for telling you the truth.

As far as the technical reasons why the cable sounds better here is what ROYPHIL345 posted on another thread:

"In my experience a glass optical cable sounds better. I compaired a modestly-priced glass cable ($30.00) from eBay to a plastic Monster Cable that costed a little more. I heard a very noticeable difference between the two. Seemed some of the 1s and 0s were getting lost in the plastic cable. Less bass and detail.

I had it explained to me that the plastic cables are quite wide and jitter is caused by light going straight through the cable and light reflected off the walls of the cable arriving at slightly different times. I was told that a better DAC would correct the jitter. My equipment is pretty modest.

The glass cables are thinner to begin with and made up of many smaller strands, so there is much less jitter. I have seen a plastic cable that was made up of many small strands. My guess is that this cable would also perform well. It was expensive though."

Based on his comments & how the seller advertised his glass cables on Ebay, I decided I should check this out. You ask me how I can say I noticed an immediate difference. Easy. Unlike a bunch of people here who are to scared of what their peers think, I'm at least willing to go on record with a statement. I played the same CD, same tracks back and forth with the different cables and same settings , and I noticed a night and day difference. The glass cables had a stronger, more pronounced powerful sound, but for my own personal tastes, I prefer a less in my face type sound.

Then again, 2 months ago you swore up and down that a $199 All-In-One JVC system was the best sounding thing on the planet at any price and you called anyone who disagreed a "f*cking moron" becuase you knew better and we didn't know squat. That was about the time you were banned the first time.

Such idiocy tends to call into question your knowledge of the subject.

Your optical cables sound identical because it's optical. The difference is, you WANT to hear a difference. If you really gave a crap, you'd get better speakers.

Forum Regular

As usual your taking things out of context but if it makes you feel good

As usual you're distorting and taking things out of context. What my brother Hershon said at an earlier time was that his JVC RX-DV31SL when combined with Orb Audio speakers produced the best sound he ever heard- the JVC retailed for $450 not your $199 figure & that when he tried High end receivers and DVD/CDplayers they did not sound as good with the speakers. Finally he did notice significant improvement in the sound when he combined a Denon 3801 receiver, a Harmon Kardon 31 DVD player and an optical cable together & he said as much. At the time many people on this board stated categorically, I don't remember if you were one of the people, that Hershon was limited by his speakers which he loved and that no receiver or DVD/CD player would change the sound so much. Well they were wrong and Hershon had a witness to this.

In regards to the 0's and 1's argument, discussing this with you is like trying to discuss things with the OJ jury- even if they saw him do the crime on video they still would aquit and say there was not enough evidence to prove his guilt.
    Last edited by EdwardGein; 07-02-2005 at 06:56 PM.

Uhh..yeah. Just how many 'alter egos' do you have?

I'm starting to worry about your mental state there, Phil. You might want to lay off the crystal meth.

I'm fairly well convinced you're just a simple troll by now. Nobody can actually be as stupid as thinking there is a difference in sound of a beam of light that transmits a digital signal. Anybody with half a brain knows that digital has two states...on or off. There is no inbetween. Either the signal gets there or it doesn't. There is no 'some 0's get there before other 0's' like you think.

So, you either:
    1) Are a troll and just like to start these pointless arguments because you need attention.
    2) Have no grasp on reality.

Either way, you and 'your brother Phil' are a danger to society. Which of your multiple personalites will be responding next? Your Daddy Jacko? Remind me to keep my kids away from you.

cam
    Hey ed/hersh/gein, one thing that I have found out that makes a dramatic improvement in your system that I thought I would share with you and your daddy Jacko, hook up your entire system to the lower plug in of your receptacle. That's where all the power is because electricity is so heavy that it produces more power to the lower plug in. If you use the upper plug in with that denon 3801 then you would be lucky if you got 8 watts x 7 all channels driven, while the lower plug in will give you about 575 watts x 7 all channels driven. Trust me, this is totaly true. Tell as many people as you can. Now get to it.

Adding to that, you want to make sure your house wiring comes DOWN the wall from the celing and not UP from the floor to the receptacle. Because as everyone knows, electricity flows downhill and if the wire goes down from the ceiling all the juice pools up at the receptacle and you get better power. Think of it as getting that last sweet-ass chicken wing that was at the bottom of the pile and has been sitting in the sauce the whole time soaking it up.

Forum Regular
    To quote Mr. T, I pity the fools.

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardGein
    Despite what many sell appointed audio geniouses insist here,
    Next time you want to bless us with your endless wisdom and superior intellect, learn how to spell first.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    Next time you want to bless us with your endless wisdom and superior intellect, learn how to spell first.
    Rather mispell than deliberately distort the truth!

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by cam
    Hey ed/hersh/gein, one thing that I have found out that makes a dramatic improvement in your system that I thought I would share with you and your daddy Jacko, hook up your entire system to the lower plug in of your receptacle. That's where all the power is because electricity is so heavy that it produces more power to the lower plug in. If you use the upper plug in with that denon 3801 then you would be lucky if you got 8 watts x 7 all channels driven, while the lower plug in will give you about 575 watts x 7 all channels driven. Trust me, this is totaly true. Tell as many people as you can. Now get to it.
    Good advice cam, but if he really wants to minimize the crosstalk and maximize performance, he should plug the receiver in to its own auxiliary outlets and run it in passive mode. The 3801 has 480 + watt power supply, more than enough to run the receiver...

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Dont worry about someones spelling,please.
    Look & Listen

Well normally I DON'T worry about someone's spelling as I don't bother to correct my mistakes on here either.

HOWEVER, in this case I find it freaking hilarious that this guy is here trying to tell us how he's so much smarter than everyone on this board and everyone but him is an idiot...and he can't even spell 'genius'. Plus, it's not like it's a typo..every time he explains how smart he is he misspells 'genius' (this isn't the first time he's been on his high horse...I guess 'high' is the operative word here!).

Don't you see the irony here?

Digital

A transmission method employing a sequence of discrete, distinct pulses that represent the binary digits 0 and 1 to indicate specific information, in contrast to the continuous signal of analog.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular
    "Most if not all people professionally involved in high end audio or recording studios will tell you what is produced is more than 0 & 1's- no I don't understand the technical reasons why but people who believe you're just producing 0 & 1's clearly don't know anything about audio sound."

it is just 1s and 0s. You do know that right. There's no ifs, ands, buts, or anything else. That's what digital means. One component sends a series of signals, in the case of an optical cable flashes of light, signifying 1s and 0s. These ones and zeros are then interpreted as a sound wave by what is essentially a small computer in your reciever. All your reciever or pre gets from any digital source is a series of 1s and 0s. In fact, digital material, such as cds and dvds, is already just a series of 1s and 0s, in the form of small pits on the disk. Any data or programing in a computer is, at a very basic level, interpreted by the computer as a series of 1s and 0s, switch on or switch off. Even numbers are written in binary. The ONLY way the signal could change is if the 1s and 0s are somehow changed. Is it possible that a few ones and zeros could be changed? I guess. Now, I personally don't see why glass vs plastic would make a difference, but that's another matter.

Well normally I DON'T worry about someone's spelling as I don't bother to correct my mistakes on here either.

HOWEVER, in this case I find it freaking hilarious that this guy is here trying to tell us how he's so much smarter than everyone on this board and everyone but him is an idiot...and he can't even spell 'genius'. Plus, it's not like it's a typo..every time he explains how smart he is he misspells 'genius' (this isn't the first time he's been on his high horse...I guess 'high' is the operative word here!).

Don't you see the irony here?
    Nope! Imo,i think its rude.
    Look & Listen

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardGein
    even though the glass cable produced a significantly stronger signal with much more power in the sound, I still prefer for at least music, the generic plastic one, as the weaker signal and sound,
    Well, spelling and innuendo aside, what I'm curious about is your above statement. Just how exactly did you measure signal strength? If in a sighted personal trial with massive time lag to swap out cables you decided you preferred one over the other I still wouldn't place much faith in your conclusion, but I wouldn't argue it. It's making blanket statements suggesting there was some sort of scientific methodology leading to a factual conclusion that causes me concern.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by shokhead
    Nope! Imo,i think its rude.
    Oh well. Too bad you don't have a sense of humor.

FYI it's not nearly as rude (or childish) as YOU butting in with your whining. 'whhaaa..you shoudn't correct people's spelling..whaaaaa'.

If you can't grasp the joke, don't bother replying to it.

Forum Regular

Why Is this So Hard to Grasp

[QUOTE=Jim Clark]Well, spelling and innuendo aside, what I'm curious about is your above statement. Just how exactly did you measure signal strength? If in a sighted personal trial with massive time lag to swap out cables you decided you preferred one over the other I still wouldn't place much faith in your conclusion, but I wouldn't argue it. It's making blanket statements suggesting there was some sort of scientific methodology leading to a factual conclusion that causes me concern."

What is so difficult and hard to grasp about this. I connect 2 fiber optic cables, one glass & the other plastic, to my receiver & DVD player, don't alter the settings and play the same CD tracks back to back, each time plugging in and unplugging the 2 fiber optic cables. I immediately notice a night and day difference in the sound- to make an analogy like the difference between someone whispering to you and that same person screaming at you. Most people would notice the difference between a whisper and a scream. Likewise on these cables the volume goes up drastically, the sound is more powerful and more in your face. I don't know what is so difficult to grasp how I have the audacity to state the obvious on this board. Personally, I prefer the more subtle sounds of the plastic fiber optics cable, but that is my taste only, and I may be preferring that simply because I'm use to that sound.

You've got some serious equipment problems going on there, Hershon. There should be NO difference between the 'sound' of the optical cables.

I think you're a troll. If you were actually this anal you would have already upgraded the power cords on your equipment. Now THAT would improve the sound quality.

Forum Regular

Again You Show Your Ignorance You Do More Harm Than Good On this Board

You've got some serious equipment problems going on there, Hershon. There should be NO difference between the 'sound' of the optical cables.
    I think you're a troll. If you were actually this anal you would have already upgraded the power cords on your equipment. Now THAT would improve the sound quality.
    You're the ignorant one and I think you do more harm than good to people who listen to you here for the most part. The thing that gets me is you make blanket statements telling people
    that their claims are totally wrong and they're not hearing what they hear, without you being there to witness it, which is total ignorance and stupidity on your part. Your the troll as you seem to delight in trying to debunk peoples claims without knowing what your talking about.

No there are no equipment problems. You just are the most ridiculously close minded person I've ever encountered.

Okay, I think I'll just say this:

You're on your FIRST system that uses a digital optical cable. I was on MY first around 8 years ago. Since then I've installed at least a thousand of them. Who's ignorant now? You've seen ONE.

Up until recently you said we were all ignorant because we didn't believe your $199 JVC amp/receiver/dvd player/toaster was the best sounding system on the planet. Then you got a $300 receiver and realized your JVC sounded like crap, just like we all said. What makes you think you're not wrong yet again?

I guess everyone in the audio industry are 'closed minded morons' and you're doing something that no human has been able to do...defy the basic laws of physics. Either that, or you're just drunk again.

Oh well. Too bad you don't have a sense of humor.

FYI it's not nearly as rude (or childish) as YOU butting in with your whining. 'whhaaa..you shoudn't correct people's spelling..whaaaaa'.

If you can't grasp the joke, don't bother replying to it.
    Wow,if your not a joke then you've got a problem. Childish? Better go look in the mirror hadnt you? Geez.
    Look & Listen

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information