Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Forum Regular
    Don't "speak" plainer, E-S. Simply explain your comments. And I have not used any acronyms.... unless you refer to GpE which is Graphite-Epoxy.

So... get on with your comments. And remember that aluminum DOES NOT RUST.

Quote Originally Posted by Mash View Post
    Simply explain your comments. And I have not used any acronyms.... unless you refere to GpE which is Graphite-Epoxy.
    Yes, that is the acronym to which I refer. Do you really not understand why reducing weight is important to aircraft? It really is irrelevant (at least to me) for my cabling.

So... get on with your comments.
    Sorry if you don't understand my response.

Forum Regular
    Allow me to try, and I mean REALLY try, to educate you here, E-S.

The Boeing Company has derivatives for their aircraft design, and in order of importance, they are:

1. Purchase Price (Self-evident, I hope)
    2. Fuel burn (determnined by the efficiency of the engines).

Then, much further down, and I mean MUCH further down, because these modern wings are so very efficient, is

3. Aircraft weight. This is WAY behind Numbers 1. and 2.

GpE is used because it is more reliable than is AL, not because it is lighter. Also GpE can be "tailored" while AL cannot. Yes, E-S, I know my way around GpE.

Allow me to try, and I mean REALLY try, to educate you here, E-S.

The Boeing Company has derivatives for their aircraft design, and in order of importance, they are:

1. Purchase Price (Self-evident, I hope)
    2. Fuel burn (determnined by the efficiency of the engines).

Then, much further down, and I mean MUCH further down, because these modern wings are so very efficient, is

3. Aircraft weight. This is WAY behind Numbers 1. and 2.

GpE is used because it is more reliable than is AL, not because it is lighter.
    Now, bring this home to the relevance of audio cable design.

Forum Regular
    Well, as I recall, you were confused about aluminum being oxidized as opposed to rusted... so YOU brought airplnes into this. Now perhaps you are a little more grounded, as it were, about AL, GpE, and airplanes.

Audio cables? I thought I made that very clear. Al poses real issues when used for conducting electricity. Only Cu, Ag, and Gold can be "trusted" but Cu has proven adequate in all cases. Fu-Fu dust aside, OFC is used for generator armatures and stators with excellent results for very many years now, so why guild the lilly?

P.S. I love the trem "Audio Cable Design". This gives audio cables more gravitas than they deserve.

Al poses real issues when used for conducting electricity.
    Pardon me if I misunderstood your first response.

JPS Labs does not use AL as the conductor. It is simply one component of the multiple metal alloy. The resistance of the alloy is quite low - .016 ohms for the eight foot run of speaker cable I use.

Forum Regular
    Mixing metals is tricky business. With many unpleasant results that sometimes take time to rear their heads. Simple is better.

The issue with AL is not its resistance per se, but that its oxidants are poor conductors. Cu does not pose these problems. Ag's oxidants are excellent conductors. And gold simply sits there. Why mess with success?

Why mess with success?
    Exactly. I find empirical listening experience more valuable than armchair speculation.

Forum Regular
    Ahhh... but how do you know what you are really hearing versus what you think you are hearing?

Ahhh... but how do you know what you are really hearing versus what you think you are hearing?
    I really wish I could simply imagine the subtleties of music I (and other experienced ears I know) hear with finer systems using such cables.

It would most certainly be cheaper.

Aging Smartass
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    Emaidel are your TQ2 silver? .
    Yes, they are. Years ago, I spent what seemed to be a small fortune on a pair of Kimber, solid silver, twisted interconnects that were used between my CD player and preamp. I ultimately found them excessively bright, harsh and with little bottom end. Perhaps the silver in the AlphaCore cable is somehow different, because it sure sounds a whole helluva lot better.

But then, cables don't make any difference anyway, as we've been told. When will we ever learn?

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by emaidel View Post
    Yes, they are. Years ago, I spent what seemed to be a small fortune on a pair of Kimber, solid silver, twisted interconnects that were used between my CD player and preamp. I ultimately found them excessively bright, harsh and with little bottom end. Perhaps the silver in the AlphaCore cable is somehow different, because it sure sounds a whole helluva lot better.

But then, cables don't make any difference anyway, as we've been told. When will we ever learn?

You have to stop listening with your ears and listen with your speculations.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Forum Regular
    Someday when I grow bat ears I won't have to speculate.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poultrygeist View Post

I see you more in Spock ears. Less ear hair by the way.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Suspended
    @ Mash and PG

Stating the other side of the story is fine. It should have simply been "in my experience with my equipment, I have not seen the benefits of cables vs tubes or other upgrade and tweaks."

You have also missed plenty of cable arguments at AK. I have been involved in some myself there as well as at AVS.

Lets be real honest here too. For the sake of the OP, the first and best upgrade for him would be a real amp to drive the Audience, not sure which he has. They are a tough line to drive no matter what model and most mass market HT receivers will NOT drive these speakers to their fullest potential.(again not sure of model) I have 3 of them myself so can speak from first hand experience.

He may be able to alter his sound by swapping out the ICs between source and receiver more so than with speaker wire.

Just because you don't/can't hear the same differences as others still does not mean it doesn't exist. It just does not exist for you in your experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Poultrygeist View Post
    You can then echolocate!

Forum Regular
    If you wire fans were actually feeling secure in your wire religion you would not have the need to disparage people like me who disagree with you, now would you? Of course you would not. I do not disparage you, unless you view my non-acceptance of you wire religion as disparagement. E-S would often be overbearing and abusive but I always explained nicely why he was wrong. Perhaps he learned a few things.

From time to time I look back at my life to review what I have contributed to the world. This Jan I searched on my name and I learned that I am described as an inventor. This is true but it is also a small piece of what I did. Some patents are for the world's first high-efficiency gas turbines for producing electricity. A few years back a gas turbine was good if it delivered 17% efficiency. The new base-load GT's my patents are for now demonstrate 60% efficiency in service while the new peak-load units deliver 50% efficiency in service. These are big steps toward slowing global warming. But these are only a small part of what I did and they will be continuing to slow global warming long after I am dead.

So what are you wire-folks doing to contribute to the world? I mean, besides spending time listening to wires.

Perhaps he learned a few things.
    Yes. Boeing plans to save 35% maintenance time using fiber structures over aluminum with the 787 in addition to burning less kerosene.

Your theories about cabling? Zilch! Perhaps some day you'll join those with experience.

Forum Regular
    It is nice to see that your world is so wide, E-S.

I think the subjects that I have mastered have carried me far further and provided me with far more satisfaction than your area of interest has provided you.

I actually feel sorry for you.

I think the subjects that I have mastered have carried me far further and provided me with far more satisfaction than your area of interest has provided you.
    Since you so enjoy talking about yourself, do tell us more!

Does everyone know about your incredible retirement? Here, I'll enrichen the lives of others as well.

Remember, I achieved ...

edit: You never did reveal what part of the Russell links you find significant.
    Last edited by E-Stat; 06-10-2012 at 10:02 AM.

Suspended
    If you wire fans were actually feeling secure in your wire religion you would not have the need to disparage people like me who disagree with you, now would you? Of course you would not. I do not disparage you, unless you view my non-acceptance of you wire religion as disparagement. E-S would often be overbearing and abusive but I always explained nicely why he was wrong. Perhaps he learned a few things.

From time to time I look back at my life to review what I have contributed to the world. This Jan I searched on my name and I learned that I am described as an inventor. This is true but it is also a small piece of what I did. Some patents are for the world's first high-efficiency gas turbines for producing electricity. A few years back a gas turbine was good if it delivered 17% efficiency. The new base-load GT's my patents are for now demonstrate 60% efficiency in service while the new peak-load units deliver 50% efficiency in service. These are big steps toward slowing global warming. But these are only a small part of what I did and they will be continuing to slow global warming long after I am dead.

So what are you wire-folks doing to contribute to the world? I mean, besides spending time listening to wires.
    I don't see how I disparaged you. You jumped in the thread claiming that anyone who believes that cables can have an effect on the sound is an idiot, in so many words.

Most everyone else described their personal experiences with cables up to that point.

What do I do besides listening to wires, which there sure are lots of around here since I have 5 decent systems.

My wife and I volunteer at a local Senior Center even tho we cannot be members and are both only 50. I take care of my home and 1/2 acre, my mothers cabin in the poconos, and my mother in laws house in Jersey all while we take care of my father in law who suffers from dementia in a lousy nursing home.

So what are you looking for? A big AR pat on the back?

And what does any of that have to do with the fact that you cant, or don't hear any differences in any wires? And you are free to believe in that as long as you don't trash others who think differently. If you lived close enough, I could easily demonstrate it with ICs.

Aging Smartass
    My wife and I are retired, and are both active in our church. I sing in the church Chancel Choir, and have even performed a couple of solos. The choir also performs whenever there's a funeral service, whether or not we knew the person who passed away.

I also sing in the Spartanburg Festival Chorus, which puts on a performance of at least one great work twice annually. Having been a member of the SFC allowed me the opportunity to travel to Prague last year, and sing (along with 263 others) in the Prague Choral Festival at Smetana Hall.

I also record books for an organization called, "Learning Ally." Its former name was "Recording for the Blind and Dyslexic," so that should give anyone a fairly good idea who uses the material we read. Thousands of students across the country have managed to achieve college degrees as a result of our efforts.

And then too, I purchase new cables and speaker wire, and listen to - and appreciate - the differences. So one can make a difference for others in this world, and still hear the difference between cables.

Suspended
    And how do you know we are not really hearing anything? You don't.

Suspended
    Now I understand.... Those of us who cannot hear differences amoung cables are defective. I guess we should junk our soundsystems....
    Maybe you should join up with Smokey who claims that if any cable does change the sound in any way is defective....

Suspended
    Give it up, Pg. You are arguing a religeous question. People will hear what they want to hear.

I have read so much nonsense about wires I am forced to wonder how people can have so much free time and money for this.
    This is another problem with Nay Sayers. All they do is read and most of them never even try and experiment for themselves which makes them sheep in the religion of nay sayers.

I don't know what your reference system is but maybe it won't matter for you and that's great because nobody told you to go buy anything.

The last cable thread at AK that was closed was in the TOL forum and was about the fact that even when like minded people who choose on their own to experiment with and talk about real experiences, why do the nay sayers always feel that they have to chime in and save everyone from themselves.

That is what I see you doing here. The OP asked 2 things. If there were significant developments in the last 10 years, and if anyone thought he should upgrade his cables.

Again, if you had nothing in your own experiences to add or to say that you cannot hear any changes when you tried cable x or y, then really all you can add is that you Read something that someone else who didn't try anything wrote.

Also, some of us come by decent cables in odd ways. I got over $2K worth of Synergistic cables when I purchased a whole system for $300. The cables bested what I had so of course I use them.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information