Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Suspended

Exclamation Cryo-Parts Interview........................

Buyer Beware.

Pay special attention to item number six...

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/...lesnakeoil.php
    Cary Audio Designs SLP-05 Preamp [Sylvania 6SN7GTB]
    Cary Audio Designs CAD 500 Monoblocks
    Cary Audio Designs 303/300 HDCD [Mullard 12AU7s]
    Rotel RCD-1072 HDCD
    Luxman T117 Tuner
    Magnepan 3.6Rs
    JL Audio Fathom F110 subs

"Can any of this measured?"

It's a fact the cryo treatment does change the molecular arrangement but apparently the accoustic effect cannot be measured by know objective methods.

Personally, I do believe that the human ear can hear differences we don't yet know how to meassure. But unfortunately human hearing is unreliable, given to hearing differences that are not there, (not hearing those that are). Human hearing is also subject to being influenced by non-accoustic factors such as price, brand name, and (not-)invented-by-me.

DBT tests, properly conducted and subject to peer review, are objective but cannot provide the the negative thesis, that is, that the are no differences. Nevertheless they are indicative: ultimately, if supposed difference can't be heard in DBT, how important can they be? Your answer please! Some people say differences that aren't apparent in the short term, (as in a DBT), are significant in long term listening, but again, this isn't proven.

Suspended

Exclamation

Here's a interview from Crag Goff of Kryophysics.........Cryo-Treatment........... http://www.positive-feedback.com/Iss...finterview.htm

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Then of course...

...one must ask the sixty-four cent question:

Why do many of those folks who believe in cryo-treatment also subscribe to the practice of "burn-in"?

jimHJJ(...but it's all science, we just dont understand it yet...yeah, right...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Loser
    ...one must ask the sixty-four cent question:

Why do many of those folks who believe in cryo-treatment also subscribe to the practice of "burn-in"?

jimHJJ(...but it's all science, we just dont understand it yet...yeah, right...)
    It isn't science, it is psychology...

THE ANTI-BUYER’S REMORSE PRINCIPLE:

The longer the time period between parting with the cash to make a purchase and actually evaluating what you have bought, the greater the likelihood of keeping the purchase and not returning it for a refund.
    Rotel RCD-1072 HDCD
    Luxman T117 Tuner
    Magnepan 3.6Rs

Suspended

Exclamation

Here's what they think about this over on Audio Asylum Forum....... http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/twe...es/124269.html

If someone suggested...

...that having a framed 8X10 of Fatty Arbuckle on prominent display in one's listening room would improve the mid-range bloom(whatever THAT is) many folks over at AA would be searching the clip-art and photo archives...

Without even reading the latest spate of posts I can say only one thing...the only name I am familiar with is that of jneutron, who is most likely the only voice of reason in attendance.

Cryo treatment is great for tools, etc. but what it does on an elemental level runs counter to every argument I have seen the audiopile-types give with regard for "micro-crystalline structures", "diode effect" and the all the other hoo-ha including "burn-in"...

jimHJJ(...but I guess some of us CAN have it both ways...)

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

The Collector
    if you cant measure a change then there was no change and no difference will be heard. Also when a molecule is frozen it will return to its natural state when it returns to its nomial temp. And what is the deal with the cryoed cd's or any cd treatment you cant change the way something reads 1's and 0's its either there or its not.

Suspended

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by pelly3s
    if you cant measure a change then there was no change and no difference will be heard. Also when a molecule is frozen it will return to its natural state when it returns to its nomial temp. And what is the deal with the cryoed cd's or any cd treatment you cant change the way something reads 1's and 0's its either there or its not.
    I trust my ears and they sure tell me that Cryo treatment really works!.... just cryo one of your CD's over at cryo-parts FOR $6.00 and your sure find out REAL quick that it does improve the sound of that CD.......talk is cheap!

Well for one thing...

...there is ZERO relevance to the cryogenic treatment of tool steel and the like on the molecular and subatomic levels to that of copolymers and the polycarbonate of your CD...You must understand how steel is forged and quenched and how it affects it's physical structure. Cryo goes a step further by "removing" unwanted "impuities" left in the end product...It results in a harder and more crystalline structure, the better to take and hold an edge as in the case of cutting tools. Curious thing is that some cryo folks say such treatment actually makes metals like copper more maleable...hmmm, something seems askew there!

HOWEVER, CDs are merely a data storage medium and as such the cryo scheme would somehow have to make the polycarbonate "clearer" to improve the light transfer characteristics. To my way of thinking, somehow increasing covalent "density" does not go hand-in-hand to that end.

The laser is spec'd to be able to read the "pits and lands" in the sputtered aluminum substrate...it's zero's and one's, on or off; the entire basis for digital anything rest on this simple premise...no gray areas. Sound is not "produced" in the same sense as it is in an analog medium and it's not even done in realtime.

The laser is kept on track and in focus by various control programs and once the data has been read, the math is done and any errors seen in it are corrected for by CIRC(Cross Interleaved Redundancy Code)...you either get program material or you don't, again no gray areas. After sufficient coherent data are stored in the buffers, it then goes through the D/A processors and the player's analog output circuitry. Here is where all, if any, sonic anomolies take place...

Given the potential for stress fracturing when exposed to temperature extremes, the fact that a CD can withstand DCT and still play at all, is a testament to it's hardy chemical composition and should be a reminder of "...if it ain't broke, don't fix it..."

But heck, if you can get someone to pay a coupla' hundred bux to have an already overpriced $79 Oyaide AC outlet subjected to the big chill, what's another $6 per CD?

jimHJJ(...I see the outlet eliminates "micro-arcing"...whatever that's supposed to be...)

I live in NY. Can't I just through my system out the window for a few days in January?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Well...

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    I live in NY. Can't I just through my system out the window for a few days in January?
    ...even if you took wind chill and any residual lake-effect into consideration, I don't think it would be quite cold enough...

jimHJJ(...and besides it requires the proper technique...)

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Loser
    ...even if you took wind chill and any residual lake-effect into consideration, I don't think it would be quite cold enough...

jimHJJ(...and besides it requires the proper technique...)
    How about if my wife gives it the cold shoulder?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Now that's...

How about if my wife gives it the cold shoulder?
    ...a whole 'nother kettle of fish...

jimHJJ(...in MY experience, Gorton's perhaps...)

Suspended

Exclamation

I wonder if these things are Cryo-Treated too...... .... http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/v...ic.php?t=22961

Mutant from table 9
    Nice Fatty Arbuckle reference. Fatty... the true trial of the century. And, he really was innocent.

I got yer cryo treatment right here. Soak your garbage in a bowl of Listerine for five minutes before rubbing one out and it will feel like someone else is doing it.

I wonder what...

Quote Originally Posted by Soundideas
    I wonder if these things are Cryo-Treated too...... .... http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/v...ic.php?t=22961
    ...the proper pronounciation is...sonic-rock or soni-crock?...

It's all out there...from harmless and cheap DIYs like sand filled zip-locks to Mpingo blocks and unconscionably-priced "audiophile-grade" wooden control knobs...caveat emptor.

jimHJJ(...my fave is still the proprietary substance that was once called "stardust"...)

Suspended

Exclamation

That sonicrock on top of your component really does work but you don't have to spend $49.00 to find out. I took 4 ceramic tiles and put them on each of my speakers....I then played some music for awhile and the sound really started to change for the better!.......I'm trying this on all my components now.....video too............

That sonicrock on top of your component really does work but you don't have to spend $49.00 to find out. I took 4 ceramic tiles and put them on each of my speakers....I then played some music for awhile and the sound really started to change for the better!.......I'm trying this on all my components now.....video too............
    You are either incredibly naive or just a run-of-the-mill troll.

Internet Troll
    Rotel RCD-1072 HDCD
    Luxman T117 Tuner
    Magnepan 3.6Rs

Suspended

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by LeoFenderBender
    You are either incredibly naive or just a run-of-the-mill troll.

Internet Troll
    Your just a NON-BELIEVER!......... That's all!...... And your just MAD too because you think you might be missing out on something...........

And I have found...

...lining my walls with aluminum foil stops the rays...

jimHJJ(...whadda' YOU lookin' at...)

Eveyone has to admit one thing. No matter what anybody says, this guy never seems to get upset. Points for that.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Eveyone has to admit one thing. No matter what anybody says, this guy never seems to get upset. Points for that.
    Yes and we miss a good heated argument. We need to get RGA and Florian going at it again.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

We could post that B&W's are the best speakers ever made and that nothing even comes close at any price. That might bring both of them out with one fell swoop.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information