Thread: Marantz PM7200

nightflier

Marantz PM7200

What is the general concensus on this amp? I've read online that it is warm but not very dynamic or fast.

Also, will it be able to drive 4 ohm / 87dB speakers?

nightflier

Marantz PM7200 vs. NAD C320BEE?

How does it compare to the the NAD C320BEE? I know they are very different amps, but has anyone heard them?

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

According to...

...the Marantz Europe site, it will provide 155WPC@4Ohm in class AB operation...

All in all a really nice product IMO with good switching functions and a phono pre-amp...it's only drawback(at least for my particular application) is it's lack of "pre-out/power-in" jacks. It does, however have a processor loop for an EQ, etc.

Insofar as the other "descriptive" terms, it's all just "audiospeak" gobbledegook...left best to the listener to characterize for himself...

jimHJJ(...and then there is that class A operation...)

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    What is the general concensus on this amp? I've read online that it is warm but not very dynamic or fast.

Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

nightflier

RCA Outs are not for an external amp?

RL,

I like the fact that it has switched outlets (unlike the NAD), but are you saying that the RCA jacks on the top left on the back are not pre-amp outs? If so, then this may not be the integrated amp for me.

I was also wondering about the heat this unit produces. I've read in several places that it runs very hot (like you could fry an egg on it). Has that been your experience?

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Here's the deal...

...I was in the market for an integrated, but wanted to use it for a system pre-amp connected to my HK Citation 19 and the Marantz's amp section to drive my rears...unfortunately the Marantz sites don't have any PDFs for a users manual, only a product data sheet...soooo...I called Marantz csr. svce. and the guy really couldn't give me an answer re: the "processor loop" vis a' vis pre/pwr. He did however connect me with another guy's voicemail and a coupla' days later I did get a return call.

Unfortunately, I was told it is only a processor loop, as it is merely a disconnect point for the signal path which comes before, and whose output is not affected by, volume or tone controls...bummer, and I told him so, being of the opinion that there would be more of a market for pre/power jacks than that sort of signal path access. I got the impression their marketing team is of a different opinion.

If you do download the product sheet, you will see those jacks are referred to as a "processor loop" and if you look at the printed features further along "processor loop" is marked with a big, black dot(which indicates that it is a feature) and "pre-pwr" gets a -/-(meaning NG).

Perhaps the unit runs hotter in the 25Wpc Class A mode which as I recall is typical of that operational mode, as the output transistors never turn off...in the Class AB mode they take a rest and tend to run cooler.

Both Denon and HK have receivers wich supply the required switching options AND pre/pwr jks...but they are receivers... I think Parasound has a reasonably priced pre- with a phono stage, but I'd still prefer an integrated.

jimHJJ(...I'd probably buy one if it had that feature, as it stands it's still a good unit IMO, just not right for my app...)

RL,

I like the fact that it has switched outlets (unlike the NAD), but are you saying that the RCA jacks on the top left on the back are not pre-amp outs? If so, then this may not be the integrated amp for me.

I was also wondering about the heat this unit produces. I've read in several places that it runs very hot (like you could fry an egg on it). Has that been your experience?
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

nightflier

No tahnks then.

RL,

I agree. A processor loop instead of pre-outs is a deal breaker for me (Marantz, are you reading this?).

Now if only that Denon PMA-2000IVR was in the same price range... I guess I'll keep searching for a capable integrated that won't break the bank.

Check this review of the PM7000, the amps are very similar in specs.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/marantzpm7000_e.html
    Dynaudio Audience 60
    Audio Refinement Complete Integrated
    Sony DVP-NC685V CD/SACD/DVD
    Audioquest Viper Interconnect
    14AWG OFC Speaker cable

"hey dreaming it up accounts for half the fun - and time"

nightflier

Pm7000

Ah yes, but the PM7000 does not have the magic class A/B switch that everyone is raving about.

,,,and it still does not have pre-outs. I just bought a NAD C320BEE, instead. Can't wait to hook it up. If there was a way to get that Denon PMA-7000IVR at a discount, I would have bought that instead.

AR Newbie Registered Member

Post does good old amp...

I have more trouble with my Marantz MP-7200.
    At the first ~10 min the stage and the bandwidht is fine but after both of them are degraded dramatically (for me dramatically). I tryed modify 7200 and separete the PWR amp and drive it with preamp of other manufacturer. The result is same so the problem located in pwramp. The result are same at A and at A+B mode.
    Of corse the idle current and the DC offset well adjusted. The supply voltage (DC) is fine too.
    Only anomaly I can detect the shield for the drive part of PWR amp (7251, 53, 55, 57, 59 and 7252, 54, 56, 58, 60) is very hot independently from output power.
    Anybody has the same problem like me and maybe has solution for?

Thread Information