Page 23 of 44 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: New Finds

Audio Hobbyist Since 1969 Glen B's Avatar
    What's going on with this site of late ? I posted the following infomation earlier and the post did not appear. Also had various other problems yesterday and again today.

Following are bluebook prices. I did not find anything on the Sony reel-to-reel, but information I came across suggests it is a low level model that is now not worth much today.

Mac MR67: $860
    Mac MA-5100: $430
    Syncro-Lab 95: $30.00

Chicago IL
    Well I haven't posted anything new here so today I came up with 2 new thing!

Harman Kardon 330A and Yamaha R-90

Since I have the higher model 330C I will add the 330A to the stack, the Yamaha sounds all right but something bothers me in the sound, I think it will have to be recapped. Here are the pics!!!

Forum Regular
    Yesterday I picked up a pair of EPI-70's ( TE version ) for $10 at a local thrift store. The surrounds were shot but I've already purchased some new foams off ebay. I really enjoy bringing old speakers back to life. When I make that first critical incision into the old dust cap it's like performing heart valve surgery.

Never pay the asking price on thrift store speakers. Ater I show the clerk the rotten surrounds and can usually get a pair for $5 to $10. Most folks incorrectly assume the drivers are no good and must be replaced when the foam surrounds turn to powder.

I recall coveting a pair of EPI-100's back when I was a kid and couldn't afford them. I became a big Cat Stevens fan when I heard his "Catch Bull At Four" played on a pair of EPI-100's.

I've read that some folks like the EPI-70 better than the EPI-100. EPI is short for Epicure, a great old speaker company from the golden age of sound. Can't wait to get those new surrounds in the mail.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poultrygeist
    Yesterday I picked up a pair of EPI-70's ( TE version ) for $10 at a local thrift store. The surrounds were shot but I've already purchased some new foams off ebay. I really enjoy bringing old speakers back to life. When I make that first critical incision into the old dust cap it's like performing heart valve surgery.

Never pay the asking price on thrift store speakers. Ater I show the clerk the rotten surrounds and can usually get a pair for $5 to $10. Most folks incorrectly assume the drivers are no good and must be replaced when the foam surrounds turn to powder.

I recall coveting a pair of EPI-100's back when I was a kid and couldn't afford them. I became a big Cat Stevens fan when I heard his "Catch Bull At Four" played on a pair of EPI-100's.

I've read that some folks like the EPI-70 better than the EPI-100. EPI is short for Epicure, a great old speaker company from the golden age of sound. Can't wait to get those new surrounds in the mail.
    Congrats and good luck on the refoam. i have heard a couple of the TE series and they are pretty good but I would not trade my EPI 100's for them.

Suspended
    That's great you are able to do the re-coning.

Sony TC-KE500S

Not as nice as either of my Naks but a 3-Head deck for $7 was too good to walk away from.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Finds-sony-tc-ke500s-1e.jpg  

Chicago IL
    I scored a Marantz model Twenty Six! Not much of power but the sound is good!

Love those silver face recievers. Looks like it's in mint condition. Nice!

I don't know what the difference in rating for power was between the 70's and now, but I do know 14 watts from that period was more powerful. Perhaps they had more current back then rather than voltage? (I X V =watts)

Chicago IL
    I know my friend "Thekid" is a big fan of the Sony ES series so I got a C67ES cd player in the shop so I decided to take a pic and post it here for him

Quote Originally Posted by luvtolisten
    ..... (I X V =watts)

You do know that formula is only good for purely resistive circuits, right? Adding capacitance or inductance changes things a lot.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

ISCET CET, FCC CTT, USITT Dual-500's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    You do know that formula is only good for purely resistive circuits, right? Adding capacitance or inductance changes things a lot.
    Yes indeed. And since we're moving this towards correctness let me add:

The formula is P = I * E

P = Power as measured in Watts
    I = Current as measured in Amperes
    E = Electrical Potential as measured in Volts (in this case volts RMS)

The original poster made his point - power ratings were more conservative back in the day and the amps/receivers in general had more headroon or dynamic power.

Last edited by Dual-500; 11-12-2010 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dual-500
    Yes indeed. And since we're moving this towards correctness let me add:

The formula is P = I * E

P = Power as measured in Watts
    I = Current as measured in Amperes
    E = Electrical Potential as measured in Volts (in this case volts RMS)

The original posted made his point - power ratings were more conservative back in the day and the amps/receivers in general had more headroon or dynamic power.

Thank you! I had Sony receiver from the late 70's (35 watts/channel). It finally died in the 90's. I was happy with Sony and bought a new receiver in the 90's at 55 watts/channel. The old one had more punch and a much fuller sound whereas the new one sounded tinty and lacked the bass the old one had. I was wondering if they reached that 55 watt/channel spec by increasing the voltage and decreasing the current? Excuse my ignorance, but I take it that current related to headroom?

Quote Originally Posted by dakatabg
    I know my friend "Thekid" is a big fan of the Sony ES series so I got a C67ES cd player in the shop so I decided to take a pic and post it here for him
    I know I speak in the minority, but I like the fact it's a changer too.

ISCET CET, FCC CTT, USITT Dual-500's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luvtolisten
    Thank you! I had Sony receiver from the late 70's (35 watts/channel). It finally died in the 90's. I was happy with Sony and bought a new receiver in the 90's at 55 watts/channel. The old one had more punch and a much fuller sound whereas the new one sounded tinty and lacked the bass the old one had. I was wondering if they reached that 55 watt/channel spec by increasing the voltage and decreasing the current? Excuse my ignorance, but I take it that current related to headroom?
    Basically. It's a bit more complicated than that. The old school stuff, in general, had the capacity to deliver more current. There are many differences inherent in the basic design in terms of then and now. The main being in the power supply. Old school stuff stored more energy in the power supply. Whereas newer designs use more state of the art power supply technology to reduce size and increase overall design efficiency. That's the trade off - size, cost and efficiency -vs- ballz out capacity.

I don't want to skew this thread into discussion that could get lengthy and really belongs somewhere else.

Daks

Thanks for thinking of me...

I have a C77ES as the CDP in my ES set-up, I think you will be very happy with the C66.
    All of my Sony DVD remotes have worked with the C77 so you may consider stopping by a thrift and picking up a cheap remote so that you can take full advantage of the changer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dual-500
    Basically. It's a bit more complicated than that. The old school stuff, in general, had the capacity to deliver more current. There are many differences inherent in the basic design in terms of then and now. The main being in the power supply. Old school stuff stored more energy in the power supply. Whereas newer designs use more state of the art power supply technology to reduce size and increase overall design efficiency. That's the trade off - size, cost and efficiency -vs- ballz out capacity.

I don't want to skew this thread into discussion that could get lengthy and really belongs somewhere else.

Understood, thanks for the explanation.

Chicago IL
    Here are few new vintage speakers! Kennys LS-890 and Realistic Optimus 7B

Nice! I have the 7B's myself, I had to replace the tweeter on mine, (one was frozen the other leaking fluid) and adjust the crossover to suit them, but not a bad speaker.

Chicago IL
    They are good speakers, I like their highs! Very musical. The Kennys are not bad too maybe even better!

They are good speakers, I like their highs! Very musical. The Kennys are not bad too maybe even better!
    I agree. They're from the time period when Radio Shack had them made with good quality Japanese drivers, before the China rush. I'm not familiar with the Kenwoods, but they look like they could put out some serious bass.

Chicago IL
    The Kennwood speakers will be good for party speakers! They sound good but the sound is kind of hard, nothing warm or neutral! I tried it with a Marantz and Sansui and still the same! There is a lot of bass and high, the mids are very bad, you barely hear them!

dak, try stuffing one or both ports in each speaker...May help in the overt bass. Also put some stuffing in them. Just may help!
    Audio exploits of the past year
    :D
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/budgetaudio6/

even more here!
    http://s574.photobucket.com/home/budgetaudio6/index
    and yes its been a slow but full 3 or 4 years yet!

Chicago IL
    I will try them in the morning to see what change it will make! Thanks for the info!

Sony CDP CX-355 CD Juke-Box

I know the purists out there will shun this piece but I was getting tired of finding CD's laying out as my wife pulled discs out of my CD holders or piled them up on my TT. I spotted this one on CL and got a good deal on it from the original owner. Photo does not do it justice and it has been operating flawlessly for the past several hours. Not a high end player but matched with my DAC it actually produces very good sound. It has a cool feature that allows you to hook a keyboard directly to the player and type in the titles. I will have to sit down this weekend and get all the data entered and set up a few listening programs. I also made a deal with my wife that I will leave her favorite discs in a CD book and everything else goes into the changer. Hopefully this will eliminate the problem with CD's piling up......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Finds-sony-cdp-cx355-1e.jpg  

Chicago IL
    That is a good find, I have similar one for 200 discs and I am not that impressed by it. Well as long as you like it, that's what matter.

Page 23 of 44 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 ... LastLast

Thread Information