Page 20 of 44 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: New Finds

Chicago IL
    Well I am back today with another minty vintage piece! Kenwood KA-6000 like new. I gave it a good cleaning and cleaned the pots and switches. Sounds great, surprisingly it has bigger capacitors than the other Kenwood amps that are more powerful than this one! Here are few big pictures!!!

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Thanks Pops.
    I was trying to find it myself just to see what chips were in the Sony. I am sure you or others more versed in chips and CD tech could explain it but I find it a bit odd that the Sony could be considered an average CD player but be so well thought as SACD player. Not going to loose sleep over since I have Sony 77ES for regular CD's.

Chicago IL
    Another score today. Pioneer SX-650 Receiver.

Daks

Put another notch in your belt.
    I love the SX line from that era.

Welcome to the 650 club!!! Poppa and I love ours. It has a huge
    warm tone and the phono stage is great, especially for acoustic and jazz.
    I like the look too! Top build, The classy orangish glow, much better then 680
    or any of the 80's series. I like how all the inputs are laid flat on their own panel.

Good find!!

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Indeed, great find dak. That receiver has a special sound, open and airy, just a bit warmer than neutral. Very listenable.

Chicago IL
    I like it but there is one thing that bothers me, it has many scratches at the top and the wood case is falling apart on the back. I know the sounds matter the most but I like all my gears to be mint or near mint. I will keep it for now till I find a better Pioneer. Not many for sale here in Chicago's craigslist

Suspended
    I've seen some 750's & 850's on our local CL but people are asking crazy money for them.

Chicago IL
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I've seen some 750's & 850's on our local CL but people are asking crazy money for them.
    Same story here, they as way too much

Quote Originally Posted by dakatabg
    I like it but there is one thing that bothers me, it has many scratches at the top and the wood case is falling apart on the back. I know the sounds matter the most but I like all my gears to be mint or near mint. I will keep it for now till I find a better Pioneer. Not many for sale here in Chicago's craigslist
    I know the case configuration is not quite the same as on my 850 but you might want to try and build your own. It might make a nice DIY project. If the top only has some scratches you might want to try some 0000 steel wool and Howard's Restor-A-Finish. It will not remove deep gouges but it works miracles on light surface scratches.

Chicago IL
    Quote Originally Posted by thekid
    I know the case configuration is not quite the same as on my 850 but you might want to try and build your own. It might make a nice DIY project. If the top only has some scratches you might want to try some 0000 steel wool and Howard's Restor-A-Finish. It will not remove deep gouges but it works miracles on light surface scratches.
    Thanks thekid but there are very deep scratches on the silver face at the top!

Center Channel find

Could not help myself when I saw this Infinity CC-3 sitting on the shelf for $20. Solidly built and it has small footprint so I am going to give it a shot in the main HT set up to see how it works. Has tone controls on the back so I think I can tweak it some to match the tone of the DCM's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Finds-infinity-cc-3-1e.jpg  
    Last edited by thekid; 09-24-2010 at 04:45 PM.

Chicago IL
    Nice score. I had a set of Infinity surround speakers and the center was very simiral if not the same with the one you just got. You would love how they sound. I ended up selling the whole set to a friend.

Name:  bos 2.2.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  10.0 KB
    I bought these Bose 2.2's Friday at a garage sale for $3. (Picture stolen from ebay). They are in great shape, and sound half way decent, like the older Bose. My first system back in the early 70's I had a pair of 301's. A year and a half ago I bought the 301 series V (sentimental reasons I guess) online and was very disappointed with the sound as well as the build quality (mostly plastic). I ended up giving them to my girlfriend's son. ((even though I gave him a choice between a pair of Infinity Beta 20's, Paradigm Titians, or Polk Monitor 40's). These sound a lot more similar to my original 301's, not great, but not terrible either. Just fun!

Chicago IL
    For $3 and Bose speakers, many people will say wow, only 3 bucks. You can't beat the price. I will agree with you regarding the Bose sound quality. I have owned 301 IV Series, 601 towers, 141 bookshelfs and I never liked the sound of Bose. Many people say they are great speakers and they like them but not me.

That's because they are not great speakers. At best they are mediocre.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Suspended
    I can't remember how much the original 301's were but I thought they were decent bookshelf speakers, an actual 2-way with the dial on the side to tilt the tweeter up or down. Back then I was way too young to know what good sound was but the 301's were better than what I had at the time. My first actual hi fi set up was a Realistic receiver and a set of those cheap Centrex speakers built by Pioneer.

I'm not a Bose-basher, but I do think all their products are GROSSLY overpriced.
    Mr. P, I remember I paid $178 pr for my 301's in the 70's (with the vane). The receiver I bought was a Sony STR 7015 (18 watts) and a BIC 960 turntable with a Shure M91ED cartridge. My first system from the ceramic cartridges. Everything I bought was a "Best Buy" from a leading consumer magazine, except the receiver.which was a Harman Kardon 330. They were back ordered at the time, but I was happy with the Sony.
    Last edited by luvtolisten; 09-26-2010 at 11:34 AM.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dakatabg
    This is my first touch with the brand Lafayette model LR-2200. I have seen it only online but today I grabbed a receiver! Very nice warm sound! Does anyone know if this brand is good and what is the history?

New member here so first post, but I had to comment on your find. I grew up with this receiver and remember many years worth of fond memories enjoying music through it. In fact, I was rummaging through the garage cabinets of my mothers house recently trying to find it, because it's a shame to waste, but she has no idea what happened to it and I couldn't find it unfortunately. Hopefully someone's enjoying it.

Enjoy!
    Troy

Sansui 7500a for 20 bucks

Tannoy Mallorcans for 50 bucks. Gold in them i say!

M&K sub/sat for 54 bucks? Heck yeah their coming home!

But the best one is the Mallorcan. And to think i didnt have the money for them. Had an hour to come up with the funds!
    Audio exploits of the past year
    :D
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/budgetaudio6/

even more here!
    http://s574.photobucket.com/home/budgetaudio6/index
    and yes its been a slow but full 3 or 4 years yet!

Quote Originally Posted by budgetaudio76
    Sansui 7500a for 20 bucks

Tannoy Mallorcans for 50 bucks. Gold in them i say!

M&K sub/sat for 54 bucks? Heck yeah their coming home!

But the best one is the Mallorcan. And to think i didnt have the money for them. Had an hour to come up with the funds!

Congrats- Sansui from that era is something special.
    Please post pics when you get everything home.

Chicago IL
    Yeah, post same pictures, I would like to see the sub and the Sansui receiver!

ive had the sui for about a year or so now. And the tannoys in the last two weeks.

ill go about posting photos after a while. Gotta figure out which photos they are.
    Audio exploits of the past year
    :D
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/budgetaudio6/

even more here!
    http://s574.photobucket.com/home/budgetaudio6/index
    and yes its been a slow but full 3 or 4 years yet!

This is the kind of vintage find I like!

Threshold 800A

If I had money to burn, I'd love to have one of these (no connection to seller!). I vividly remember this innovative first design of Nelson Pass back in 1975. The dealer who taught me quite a bit when I was in high school (and later worked for) had one of these. It was a unique combination of workhorse drive-any-load-you-can-throw-at-it (including the poster child for torture, the Dayton-Wright electrostatic) with a level of refinement unknown to high powered solid state amps at the time. It introduced the concept of sliding Class A operation commonly used today. With its forty-eight 150 watt device output stage, protection circuitry (and its audible effects) was rendered unnecessary after discovering that removing it had no effect on reliability.

More about the 800A.

rw

Chicago IL
    200wpc that is a lot of power! I wouldn't mind one too E-Stat!!!!

Page 20 of 44 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 ... LastLast

Thread Information