Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    RGA
    Forum Regular
    Particle board is likely Since AN prefers it to MDF. I believe they use the AN K drivers -- so VIFA drivers and a FOSTER not a fostex tweeter (though the K may also be a VIFA). AN isn't the most spectacular when it comes to appearances so that is no surprise here...so far I've yet to read complaints about these speakers sonics wise. Bass isn't overly deep to about 35hz - that board with the glue is in the center of the box which goes down to another opening at the bottom ( I have seent he AZ three in person just not listened to it). It's similar to the PMC cabinet that has a center board. It seems to be with the reference to panel speakers that like panels it is best avoid the driving rock music as the large port has a fast roll-off.

This guy seems to note the design a little http://www.audionote.co.uk/imagehifizero.htm

And this review -- Well I just find it funny http://www.audionote.co.uk/reviews/t3systemreview.htm

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Birch ply over MDF is justifiable and arguable...I can see many cases where good quality plywood is superior to MDF.
    Particle board, unless it's high-density (essentially the same as MDF), would only offer benefits to the bottom line, not to the sound especially for larger cabinets. I'm going to assume this HDPB.
    The Woofer looks like a Vifa paper cone woofer...I almost built my towers off one of those but went with a 7" wood/fiber cone from Vifa instead

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock789
    is that what bose does with their wave radio?
    The Bose Wave Radio actually uses several very resonant pipes to boost apparent bass response.

The first product I saw from them that did this was a PA speaker with two ported chambers with very high Q. (No stuffing or lagging inside at all.)

You get a tremendous boost, but only at the frequencies the pipes are tuned to. Think of organ pipes.

I suspect it could be rather complicated to design something like this, but a clever design doesn't always equal accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    It may very well be and Bose may call it by a different name -- many do. The difference is PMC knows what they are doing when designing and building loudspeakers - Bose knows what they are doing marketing and selling loudspeakers.
    They're certainly good at marketing and selling, but there's also some real talent there.

For instance, they're excellent at getting the most from really cheap drivers.

The end result isn't what I would call accurate, but they didn't design for that...

Companies like Bose and Polk follow a different design philosophy, and it isn't at all what the high-end industry strives for. Nevertheless, they're good at what they do, and they're competent at doing it.

Perhaps I'd put it this way: "Bose speakers are, in my opinion, crap, but it's very well done crap."

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Transmission lines are technically suppose to be a speaker with an enclosure that routs the back-wave of a speaker through a long tunnel that eventually exits via the front of the speaker (though I've seen other, oddball designs that have the "port" elsewhere with much success). The theory of the transmission line is to make a line length equal to 1/4 or 3/4 of a wavelength, therefore the front and rear waves will add to each other upon exiting the front of the line, instead of subtracting...this is good...Awesome bass accuracy, realism, tightness, phase, etc...!!!
    Resonance (Helmoltz) gets to be a problem problem in the low end of T-Lines though, and is very difficult to predict even with good software programs, which makes these designs quite difficult to produce. But when they're done right, there's no substitute IMO, it's as close to reproducing the soundwaves an instrument makes (ie: low bass frequency cancellation, better attack/decay, response, etc...).
    Well... no.

A pipe closed at one end and open at the other is a 1/4 wavelength pipe. Make it longer and it's a 1/4 wave pipe for a lower frequency.

If done correctly, low frequencies pass completely through the line and arrive in-phase with the front wave from the woofer. You normally would want the line terminus to be on the front baffle (in the same plane as the woofer) so that the outputs are indeed in-phase.

Some t-lines are actually designed to competely lose the back radiation from the driver...

Research by King and Augspurger now allows t-lines to be designed pretty easily, and with good results.

Fried talks about "resistive" speakers, as opposed to "reactive" ones. (In other words, there is no resonant system to store and release energy.) Good horns and t-lines are "resistive," while most bass reflex and sealed boxes are reactive.

A t-line can add the mass of the column of air in the line to load the back of the driver and actually reduce the driver's resonance frequency. T-lines also reduce the magnitude of the impedance peaks. Other types of enclosures don't provide these benefits.

I'm still working my way through King's work, but it's very interesting in that it applies to bass reflex, Voight pipes, and horns, as well as t-lines.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information