Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Forum Regular

Upgrading Magnepans

I am currently running Magnepan MGIIa speakers. I personally still love these things!! They are getting a little rough and it is getting time to replace in the near future. I have always wanted a new pair of Magnepans. I have had my eye on the Magnepan 3.6s. Anybody out there running 3.6s? I am looking for some feedback on them. A new pair is quite salty, but my current maggies lasted me quite a long time with great sound so I cant complain. I have tried dynamic speakers and the bottom line is I am a planar guy period. Thanks in advance for your time! I look forward to your input! Jim

I've got the Q1.6's and wish I had bought the 3.6's when I had the chance. The 3.6's like lots of clean power, 200wpc and higher. You won't be disappointed. I've heard those and the MG20's plenty of times.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Thank you for your input... I am planning on running my Ampzilla II on them. the amp has been fully refurbished and very clean. 200 wpc is the rating. I have a feeling I will love what I hear!!

Is that at 4ohms? I think the ampzilla is 400wpc at 4ohms if I'm not mistaken. Don't forget, Maggies are 4ohm. I'm running 225wpc of high current power at 4ohms on my 1.6's and I would like to have more. The 3.6's would really do well with 300wpc but should be able to drive them ok with 200watts. There's some one on this forum who has the 3.6's and I think uses a Musicalfidelity integrated with 500wpc.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

I had two pair of 3.6's, great value! Plenty of power is needed, but before choosin some bruiser amd or some class D, i would look for an amp with good resolution and sound. :-) They require a good size room with good acoustics also.
    Cheers
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Amplifiers

Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    I had two pair of 3.6's, great value! Plenty of power is needed, but before choosin some bruiser amd or some class D, i would look for an amp with good resolution and sound. :-) They require a good size room with good acoustics also.
    Cheers
    Florian has been there and done it. So have I to a lessor degree; I have just the MG 1.6, but I can assure you that any Magneplanar will exploit a great amp. For many years I used a Phase Linear 400, including with the Magneplanar MMGs. The PL 400 put out close to 400wpc @ 4ohms, like the Ampzilla, but what a revelation it was to go first to a NAD C270, (200wpc but a significant improvement), then to Monarchy SM-70 Pro's, (120wpc and a very big improvement).

I suspect blackraven is right that 300watts is the minimum optimal with the 3.6's, but that 200 would do, however it depends how loud you listen.

In any case my advice to BOXMAN, as it is to blackraven, is up grade your amp before you go to the 3.6's.

Forum Regular

Upgrade my amp?

Cheers

I really appreciate your input from both of you. Florian, I am a little stunned on your words though...... You are running a Krell on top end and you just asked me to upgrade my amp......?? Krell is decent, but I have heard plenty of Krell, there is no advantage over an updated GAS Ampzilla. I look at krell as a decent midline for component set ups.........

Sure there is a little better out there.... but the big price tag can also work as a great placebo to think it is that much better... Thanks again for your input sir.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Florian has been there and done it. So have I to a lessor degree; I have just the MG 1.6, but I can assure you that any Magneplanar will exploit a great amp. For many years I used a Phase Linear 400, including with the Magneplanar MMGs. The PL 400 put out close to 400wpc @ 4ohms, like the Ampzilla, but what a revelation it was to go first to a NAD C270, (200wpc but a significant improvement), then to Monarchy SM-70 Pro's, (120wpc and a very big improvement).

I suspect blackraven is right that 300watts is the minimum optimal with the 3.6's, but that 200 would do, however it depends how loud you listen.

In any case my advice to BOXMAN, as it is to blackraven, is up grade your amp before you go to the 3.6's.
    The 3.6s are 4 ohm I believe... therefore an Ampzilla II would be at 400wpc. I would suspect that would be enough...... and I dont understand why you guys are saying upgrade my amp..........I feel the GAS and Maggies combo is very nice

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by BOXMAN
    The 3.6s are 4 ohm I believe... therefore an Ampzilla II would be at 400wpc. I would suspect that would be enough...... and I dont understand why you guys are saying upgrade my amp..........I feel the GAS and Maggies combo is very nice
    LOL... Don't take it personal.... from my very very basic understanding of planars... more watts and larger planars are generally better.... as a result, most planar lovers seem to toss out the 'upgrade your amp' line as a default response (more often than not it maybe correct, but not always)... If you really like the syngery between your amp and the maggies (and it clearly seems to have the watts), then just get bigger maggies...

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    LOL... Don't take it personal.... from my very very basic understanding of planars... more watts and larger planars are generally better.... as a result, most planar lovers seem to toss out the 'upgrade your amp' line as a default response (more often than not it maybe correct, but not always)... If you really like the syngery between your amp and the maggies (and it clearly seems to have the watts), then just get bigger maggies...
    Cheers to you my friend

What we are implying, sir ...

... Is that these old amps, in general, sound like sh!t. There is more to amplifiers than wattage and Magneplanars need more than watts.

I await Flo's response

I really appreciate your input from both of you. Florian, I am a little stunned on your words though...... You are running a Krell on top end and you just asked me to upgrade my amp......?? Krell is decent, but I have heard plenty of Krell, there is no advantage over an updated GAS Ampzilla. I look at krell as a decent midline for component set ups.........

Sure there is a little better out there.... but the big price tag can also work as a great placebo to think it is that much better... Thanks again for your input sir.
    BOX, if you believe all amps sound the same, you need to clean out your ears. As I alluded to above, I had this personal revelation a few years ago, having lived with a ghastly vintage amp for decades.

Krell make incredible amps as of what I've heard and read about them

This should go over like a fart in church.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular
    BOX, if you believe all amps sound the same, you need to clean out your ears. As I alluded to above, I had this personal revelation a few years ago, having lived with a ghastly vintage amp for decades.
    I do not think all amps sound the same... I am aware of the differences. what I am saying is an updated Ampzilla II can hold its on versus a Krell...... as I mentioned a Krell product is a decent midline component. If you take an upgraded Ampzilla II and run some planars you would be very surprised...... We all have our preferences as well

If you want top notch... (in my eyes) run an Audio Research tri amped system with tubes on top and a set of tympani's..... now that would be worth upgrading to in my opinion....

nightflier
    Feanor,

I've dipped my toe in the planar pool with the MMGs and decided the water was too cold (& didn't really see what all the hoopla was about), so I am still "boxed-into" a box speaker, as the planar folks like to say. That said, I'm still very interested in the topic.

What I'm wondering is how the Monarchy SM-70 performs with those Maggies. Logic would suggest that an 80/120w amp isn't going to have the grunt to push those speakers to their full potential. I would have opted for the SE-100s, at least. Now don't get me wrong, I haven't heard the Monarchy amps, and I've read nothing but good reviews about them, so I may be way off here, but I'm just wondering how this is working - there seems a to be a logical disconnect from what everyone else is saying about how much power these speakers require.

Boxman, I'm a big fan of PS Audio amps and while they do have a sound that isn't to everyone's liking, they certainly aren't lacking in the power-reserve department. PS Audio amps sell used for less than half the new price (esp. the newer GCC amps) and the older generation amps sell for much less. Hence my belief that they are an excellent value. I have a pair of Classic 250 monoblocks that I picked up for nearly nothing and they are amazing amps for the money - you can find them every once in a while on Audiogon and eBay for $500/pair or thereabouts. The HCA-2 is a 150/225w amp that despite it's class-D roots actually sound quite warm and seems to be popular amp to pair with Maggies. Of course, if you can find a GCA/C-250 or 500 amp used, that would be my suggestion, but the HCA-2 is a very nice amp for $600 used, if the others are too "salty."

Anyhow, that's my 2 cents. If the Monarchy Audios are as good as Feanor says, then they definitely deserve an audition.

How much power?

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    Feanor,

I've dipped my toe in the planar pool with the MMGs and decided the water was too cold (& didn't really see what all the hoopla was about), so I am still "boxed-into" a box speaker, as the planar folks like to say. That said, I'm still very interested in the topic.

What I'm wondering is how the Monarchy SM-70 performs with those Maggies. Logic would suggest that an 80/120w amp isn't going to have the grunt to push those speakers to their full potential. I would have opted for the SE-100s, at least. Now don't get me wrong, I haven't heard the Monarchy amps, and I've read nothing but good reviews about them, so I may be way off here, but I'm just wondering how this is working - there seems a to be a logical disconnect from what everyone else is saying about how much power these speakers require.

Anyhow, that's my 2 cents. If the Monarchy Audios are as good as Feanor says, then they definitely deserve an audition.
    'Flier,

Perhaps it's of academic interest to you if you're not really interested in Magneplanars ... but a lot people would agree that 200wpc is the "minimum" for the 1.6's, or 300wpc for the 3.6's. The 120wpc Monarchy SM-70 Pro's are working great for me with the 1.6's, but let me explain.

My listening room is a small medium, 12' x 20', although it has a lot of furniture and drapes. The bigger factor is that I don't listen to loud music. I listen to classical mostly, and an average level of <70dB. Of course peaks are much higher, but the SM-70's 60,000uF per side helps with that, no doubt.

I bought the SM-70 Pro's instead of the SE-100's because (1) I saw deal for the former, (2) some pundits said that the former sounded slightly better, especially if run as fully-balance monoblock, and (3) I had a preamp with fully balance operation.

Fair enough

I do not think all amps sound the same... I am aware of the differences. what I am saying is an updated Ampzilla II can hold its on versus a Krell...... as I mentioned a Krell product is a decent midline component. If you take an upgraded Ampzilla II and run some planars you would be very surprised...... We all have our preferences as well

If you want top notch... (in my eyes) run an Audio Research tri amped system with tubes on top and a set of tympani's..... now that would be worth upgrading to in my opinion....
    I'm glad you acknowledge that amps sound different. While I would probably lean to the ARC system myself, I'd waiting for Florian's reaction to your Krell evaluation -- might be fun

Boxman, your estimation of an ARC tri-amp setup is spot on. I've not heard this setup on the Maggies (although I heard several maggie systems which sounded very good), but I have heard an ARC tri-amp setup on another speaker system (ARC d'Triamphe so to speak). The sound quality was breathtaking .I'll be setting up a fully tri-amped system in due course, using Mark Levinson No 27 (2 bridged as monoblocks) for the bass, ARC Classic 150 monoblocks for the mid-bass, and ARC Classic 120 for the midrange and tweeters. I've just tried tri-wiring, and was astonished by the results!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    This should go over like a fart in church.
    Couldn't have put it better

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Shag
    Boxman, your estimation of an ARC tri-amp setup is spot on. I've not heard this setup on the Maggies (although I heard several maggie systems which sounded very good), but I have heard an ARC tri-amp setup on another speaker system (ARC d'Triamphe so to speak). The sound quality was breathtaking .I'll be setting up a fully tri-amped system in due course, using Mark Levinson No 27 (2 bridged as monoblocks) for the bass, ARC Classic 150 monoblocks for the mid-bass, and ARC Classic 120 for the midrange and tweeters. I've just tried tri-wiring, and was astonished by the results!!!
    Glad you also think so!..... I will one day build an ARC system with maggies.... but I am really happy with GAS equipment. Maybe they match real good with maggies.... I dont know, but it works out nicely. I will admit I put a set of dynamics on the Ampzilla, and I quickly said.... man I got to hook my maggies back up!! and by the way, I like your amp set up you have!! Classic 120 should go nice on the top end!! If you ask me, the older equipment is the real deal!

nightflier

Not academic at all...

'Flier, Perhaps it's of academic interest to you if you're not really interested in Magneplanars ... but a lot people would agree that 200wpc is the "minimum" for the 1.6's, or 300wpc for the 3.6's. The 120wpc Monarchy SM-70 Pro's are working great for me with the 1.6's, but let me explain.
    While I am fairly happy with what I have, I also know from hearing other systems, that this isn't anywhere near where I want to be as far as speakers. I haven't settled on a pair yet and one of the attractive features of the Maggies to me is that when not in use, I can push them against the wall, which is not so easy with my current speakers. What is not attractive is having to power them with amps that take up more floor space than the speakers themselves (not to mention suck electricity right out of the wall and act like furnaces to boot). Your choice of Monarchy amps is a refreshing alternative opinion.

As far as your taste in music, your room, and the price point, we probably have a lot in common. I guess what I was asking is how do they really sound? Do you hear the limitations of the amp during passages with a wide dynamic range (e.g. Hovhaness, Strauss, Khachaturian)? Have you experienced any clipping? Is there compression in the frequency extremes?

As a side issue, did you try any class-D type amps? Of so, what did you or didn't you like about them?

The Ampzilla should work nicely. I confess that I'm not a big Krell fan having heard a couple. Clean, but too sterile for my perception of live. Back in the 70's, D'Agostino used to be a rep for Dayton-Wright electrostatics and Dunlap-Clarke amps. Those amps share a similar house sound to the Krell stuff I've heard. I'd focus on speaker placement and room treatments.

f you want top notch... (in my eyes) run an Audio Research tri amped system with tubes on top and a set of tympani's..... now that would be worth upgrading to in my opinion....
    That's how I heard my first Maggies back in '74. Tri-amped T-IIIs with an SP-3a and three D-76as. Got me hooked on planars. I had a pair of MG-IIs myself back in the 70s. You should enjoy moving up to 3.6s. The true ribbon tweeter is really sweet.

Good luck!

rw

Your comment is like saying that you have heard one electrostatic, did not like it, so all electrostatics are not to your taste. ^^ There is Krell and then there is KRELL. A small KSA is in no way in the same league as a KAS or a MRA. I run 8 amplifiers actually, the Krell Audio Standard (old style pure class a master reference series) is only for the tweeters (2m long ribbon from 9Khz up, fully active made for this driver by Todd Eichbaum from Krell).

I understand your liking of the Ampzilla, i personally had 2x Ampzilla 2000 Monoblocks and Stereo. I sold them, but i had them :-) Nice milky foggy kinda sound. Good for beer and music.
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Forum Regular
    Your comment is like saying that you have heard one electrostatic, did not like it, so all electrostatics are not to your taste. ^^ There is Krell and then there is KRELL. A small KSA is in no way in the same league as a KAS or a MRA. I run 8 amplifiers actually, the Krell Audio Standard (old style pure class a master reference series) is only for the tweeters (2m long ribbon from 9Khz up, fully active made for this driver by Todd Eichbaum from Krell).

I understand your liking of the Ampzilla, i personally had 2x Ampzilla 2000 Monoblocks and Stereo. I sold them, but i had them :-) Nice milky foggy kinda sound. Good for beer and music.
    I can appreciate your love for the KRELL equipment..... and I can agree with you that they sound decent..... but for a person the runs Krell, and asks me to upgrade my amp.... I must laugh! Like I said before, Krell makes good midline components. This isnt ARC or Mark Levinson were talkin about...... and you can have that Ampzilla 2000 stuff. I have a fully updated 1978 Ampzilla II, and I promise you it isnt good for just beer and music. It is good for pushing maggies and letting the guys who just bought into the $8K "modern amps placebo" start crying. Hopefully one day you will see past the big price tag equipment that usually isnt that much better.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information