Forum Regular

Angry Sub-woofer "POPS" when turning off

My AR Sub "POPS" when it shuts down automatically

WHY????

it is soo annoying when listening a lower volume part of a track for a while and then all of the sudden "POP" the sub lets me know he just shut off

Any ideas, or experiences, or anything???

the sound is good thou.

F1
    Return, Repair???
    It seems the muting relay is not functioning properly.

Forum Regular

Sub making "POP" sound when shutting off autmatically

I did returned and the new one does the same thing..it is design defect I think

AR Newbie Registered Member
    I had the same problem. I bought a line coditioner that switches components in a certain order so there is never a "pop". I think it turns on reciever then sub and turns off the opposite. May have backwards?? I am not sure if there is an inexpensive (<100) component that does this. Have you tried plugging the sub in the receiver's switched outlet?

Forum Regular

Unhappy Sub-woofer "pop"

I'll try anything ........I even ask the sub gently...."Please can you shut down quietly?" ......no response so far........

Forum Regular
    You might have to do a chant and dance
    Maybe even a sacrifice.

Forum Regular

sub-woofer "POPS" when shut off automatically

hahahaha......I'll try the dance but no sacrifice.........all type of life is too valuable to do that stupid crap.

F1
    Quote Originally Posted by sware
    .... Have you tried plugging the sub in the receiver's switched outlet?
    Not a good idea. That switch is normally rated up to 100W only or you may end up blowing the fuse.

Forum Regular
    I have a Klipsch SW8 sub and have replaced the amplifier once (with an amp from an SW10), both amps "thump" when shutting down. Usually I shut it down after my other gear if off. If I forget, then after a while don't remember if it off or not, the "thump" lets me know it's off. I believe it happens because powered subs have high-wattage power supplies with big capacitors. When powered off the caps discharge through the speaker.

A better design would be to have the power supply connect to the speaker through a double-pole/double-throw relay. When powered on, the relay's normally-open contacts close supplying power to the speaker. A high-wattage bleed-off resistor is connected to the normally closed contacts. When shut off, the relay shuts off opening the contacts to the speaker, but closing the connection to the bleed-off resistor. The capacitors discharge through the resistor and dissipated as heat, stopping the "thump". I'm not really bothered by the thump, so I haven't really tried this, but the concept should work. Similar to picture-tube bleed-offs. What I would really like is a circuit to reduce the 60Hz hum present in almost all powered subs I've heard.

I use the SW8 for upper/mid bass in my bedroom system and enjoy it, but my other sub is passive and driven by a Marantz M700 amp which doesn't thump. Also in my main system I have my Legacy Focus woofers biamped through a Yamaha M-65 amp with no thump.

Thread Information