AR Newbie Registered Member

How Do I know If the tweeter or woofer of a speaker is blown?

Hi, I would like to know how does a blown tweeter and a blown woofer sound and look when they are blown, because I think the woofer of my B&W N 805 are blown, the lower bass doesn´t sounds as they were news, and I´m having doubts of the tweeter too.

Thanks for the help.

Forum Regular
    its easy if you have a mono switch on your amp...switch it on and see if both speakers sound different of the same.

Otherwise you will need to go near the speaker put you year to it and hear for any crackle on the woofer,,if so your cone or your voice coil may be damaged...its very easy really...

A bad Tweeter will sound rough and grainy and a totally conked one will not play at all. You'll just need to go near the tweeter and woofer and compare it with the other channel to find out.

It just may be a loose or bad speaker connection externally or internally and there may be nothing wrong with the drivers themselves....a dry solder perhaps ?

Wink It has a big smile on it's face!

borrowed from another poster, if I could access the old forums I'd give credit where credit is due.

Forum Regular

Hmm.

Sorry to change subject, but I have a Quest Q610 speaker and I listen to music with low bass I hear a noise like something is rattling in the cabinet. I removed the woofer and discoevered the noise is coming from the woofer? Is it blown? When I listen to rock music its not noticable because the other frequencies block the noise out. I do not believe it was always like this. But when I first got these I didn't listen to them a lot but I do now that we have a new reciever and surround sound, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by michelescov
    Hi, I would like to know how does a blown tweeter and a blown woofer sound and look when they are blown...
    Easy. There is no sound emanating from the driver. "Blown" to me implies having fried the voice coil wiring. As for their appearance, one would need to look at the raw driver to "see" that.

I have also seen woofers damaged such that the voice coils no longer travel freely within their range of excursion. They work but "rattle". You should be able to gently push a woofer back without any drag or friction.

rw

Thread Information