Thread: B&W Question

Forum Regular

Post B&W Question

Can anyone explain me what is the difference between B&W 603 S3 and CM4?
    They more or less have same technical spec excepts minor changes. Which is the better one for all purpose(music only/movies) home listening?
    Do they vary in price a lot?

The CM series was designed as a decor-friendly lineup of speakers. They cost more than the 600 series, but they don't necessarily outperform that series. Do your own listening and see which one you'd prefer.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Some peopkle like the CM better - but I agree with Woochifer that these were designed for appearance - As for what they were designed for - well if the speaker maker has a matching center and sub - you know the answer to that. That does not mean they can't do both.

The CM line is considerably more expensive. I like the 600 series better than the 700 series for value and in many ways for sound as well.

But as usual it will come down to your taste when you listen to the two. Appearance and decor are important for lots of folks.

Yup, I agree with Wooch and RGA. The CM's are 600's with a pretty dress and pumps. Go with the 600's.

Like topspeed said, Wooch and RGA are correct. I have the B&W 600 series and they are only available in black ash and sorrento (light oak). The CM4 comes in real wood veneers maple, rosenut, and black ash. I looked at both and decided to go with the 604's because it is a 3 way (compared to the 2.5 way CM4) for $100 less a pair ($700 each for 604's and $750 each for CM4's).

Overall, like mentioned before and you will hear a lot on this site (which I feel is really good advice), go and listen and make up your mind then. Personally, I thought that the 604's sounded better than the CM4's and would rather go with a 3 way over a 2.5 way with a better looking finish.
    "I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em." -Jimmy V

Forum Regular
    Thank you all for the response.
    Looks like 600s have good value for money and great sound too. I am certainly planning to go for an audition in coming week-ends.
    Also thinking of KEF Q5 series as it has great reviews too. Any idea how those are?

RGA
    Forum Regular
    I can't stress this enough - DO NOT GO BY REVIEWS. I posted some reviews on this site largely because I have no ties to any maker or magazine but I have gone and listened and directly compared them. And I found that I had some striking variations between a lot fo stuff they rave about - sometimes I agreed. That does not mean you should go by my review eaither but was meant to tell people that just because somethig gets a great review does not mean you will like it. Virtually everything gets a great review - and No not everything is great.

Also, I would suggest you spend a couple of months listening to speakers - First find out what dealers carry - go home and write down the brands. Then phone them and set up a time where you can listen to several of the sepakers they carry - AND LET THEM make a suggestion - they may introduce you to a smaller brand which you may love way more than the big ones. You may not - but you won't know until you try. Also don't rule out standmount speakers - you may find there are certain advantages that trump deeper bass. Plenty of speakers have deep bass but not high quality bass. I would rather the speaker that does less but does it better.

There is a notion that because you have X dollars you can only affford X sound. spend the time and listen to a wide array of recordings - find the speaker that doesn't make the soudn sort of gel - where the soundstage is similar across every recording where the same kind of bass is presented all of the time. The better speaker will reeal the differences in recordings better and end up sounding more interesting longer.

I think the B&W's are an excellent place for you to start and you may end there, but a big part of the game is marketing and spinning and name dropping --- all in order to push your wallet open without actually seducing you with the "sound." Patience will lead you to better speakers OR at least less likely to buyer's remorse.

Thread Information