Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Scored!!

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    BTW Byron, I will be at AKFest tommorrow and Grant have a room booked. I plan to spend some extra time in there as it is.

I want to hear the Opera Consanance LP 6.1 table that they retail at $1K. JoeESP9 put me onto the value, and after some researching I have concluded that it's a HUGE value. We have been working OT at the shop like slaves, and I have been stashing money for an upgrade.

If that pre is in the chain, I'll be sure to evaluate it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Hey Frenchie, good to hear from you as always. I would love a copy of that. I have Let Freedom Ring on vinyl and it's a great album. I thought you were talking about the Grant buffer itself. Yes I think that pre amp is a fantastic piece at a great value.

The sonic benefits will be many and I don't think an SS pre can keep up with a tube pre. All the nonsense about "colour" and "soft bass, rolled off highs" is exaggerated. Once in your chain, the last thing you will be thinking about is measurements or decreased dynamics. As a jazz fan you will be floored by the improved imaging/stage, and the exceptional tone of instruments like the tenor sax.

I have Lou Donaldson's Blues Walk on right now, his sax sounds so incredibly sexy. My Kenwood Basic C1 couldn't even come close to what the EICO can achieve.

Concerning if I've heard it or not, no not personally. AudioKarma has an entire room for Grant and its moderated by Ian Grant himself. The feedback for that piece is positive.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=164

What did you have in mind?
    Grant have a great return policy, so why not try it out and see?
    http://grantfidelity.com/site/P307

I dont know about that poppaC....my Rotel pre with the XRAY is pretty sweet. The XRAY is kinda sweet sounding and warm by its lonsome and was made for tubes. Musical Fidelity makes tubed gear as well as SS gear and some of their SS seems to have a tubed characteristics. I dont know if you know any thing about Canton speakers but they are pretty dynamic in themselves and have a way of drawing you into the music. They are in no way boring speakers....I once took them over to Peabodys and he said he had never heard box speakers do what they can do....He thought they had a sound similar to electrostats. Then the A+ cables and speaker wire makes for a nice system...its not really hard and edgy like SS and not as rounded as tubes but it does lean that direction as it is.

Yeah...Blues Walk is great, but have you heard Dexter Gordons version...it will blow your sox off. Its on the Album "Gotham City". I use to have the album years ago, but it got away from me and now they don't even make it any more....I can figure out why. If you run across it, grab it in a heart beat. Its got Dexter Gordon on sax, Percy Heath on bass, Art Blakey on drums, Cedar Walton on piano, Woody Shaw on trumpet and George...yes George Benson on guitar. This album is just a killer for any hard bop fan....if you find a copy snatch it up.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The XRAY has an external tube DAC...the XDAC V8 that can be had for about $1500 new if you can find one. Used they run about $750-800 on Audiogon if you can find one there. I really dont want to fork out $800 on a used DAC. When I took the XRAY CDPV8 over to Peabodys and connected it with his Conrad-Johnson tubed gear it was a match made in heaven...so, im just think that the P-307 can be used as a tube buffer between my XRAY and preamp or between the pre and amp.

frenchmon
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

BTW Byron, I will be at AKFest tommorrow and Grant have a room booked. I plan to spend some extra time in there as it is.

I want to hear the Opera Consanance LP 6.1 table that they retail at $1K. JoeESP9 put me onto the value, and after some researching I have concluded that it's a HUGE value. We have been working OT at the shop like slaves, and I have been stashing money for an upgrade.

If that pre is in the chain, I'll be sure to evaluate it for you.

Ok thanks

frenchmon

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Frenchie I have been auditioning a Scott Nixon TubeDAC for about a week now. Wonderful product and priced quite well. So incredibly detailed with real strength to the subtleties.

Suspended
    I have the Heresy back on the CJ gear and I'm really leaning toward them maybe bettering the Forte in midrange but I need to figure out some way to do a shoot out. Both side by side may not be best but it is the only way I know of to go back and forth some what quick. I've been using my Vanessa Williams CD on each set. It's funny you'd think that brass might be overwhelming with the Klipsch but that's an area where the Heresy really shines. It's a bit embarrassing to admit but the brass in the background of one song can be heard with the t2.5's and it's brassy but through the Heresy it's more defined, more like a real horn would sound in the room, it has more form, resolution.

The Forte, maybe due to the rear firing radiator, is sensitive to placement. I hooked them to the Krell in my workout room, the space was more enclosed, and the bass was stronger. I need to play with placement because the Forte aren't impressing in that situation.

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon
    I dont know about that poppaC....my Rotel pre with the XRAY is pretty sweet. The XRAY is kinda sweet sounding and warm by its lonsome and was made for tubes. Musical Fidelity makes tubed gear as well as SS gear and some of their SS seems to have a tubed characteristics. I dont know if you know any thing about Canton speakers but they are pretty dynamic in themselves and have a way of drawing you into the music. They are in no way boring speakers....I once took them over to Peabodys and he said he had never heard box speakers do what they can do....He thought they had a sound similar to electrostats. Then the A+ cables and speaker wire makes for a nice system...its not really hard and edgy like SS and not as rounded as tubes but it does lean that direction as it is.

The XRAY has an external tube DAC...the XDAC V8 that can be had for about $1500 new if you can find one. Used they run about $750-800 on Audiogon if you can find one there. I really dont want to fork out $800 on a used DAC. When I took the XRAY CDPV8 over to Peabodys and connected it with his Conrad-Johnson tubed gear it was a match made in heaven...so, im just think that the P-307 can be used as a tube buffer between my XRAY and preamp or between the pre and amp.

frenchmon
    I don't know what to tell you. Clearly you've heard the awesome ability of the tubes in a pre function. It's always impressive with digital.

All the qualities you lust for, I think the tube pre will help to bring out BEYOND your current Rotel. I have heard several Rotel combo's, possibly even your pre. They do indeed sound nice.

All I'm saying is that a guy who likes vocals and jazz should at least TRY OUT a proper tubed pre. I know that you understand better than this, but alot of guys fear that their sound will turn into mush if they have tube/tube-pre/amp.

I suspect they would also add a real immediacy through your Cantons by the sounds of it. I think your view of immediacy is emotion, which is a damn great description. I was lacking a serious chunk of my system's output before putting on those speakers.

Anyhow, I hope you don't think I'm trying to start the ol SS vs Tubes nonsense. If you were going to audition a full out pre amp with tubes, you would have to step up from that particular Grant unit, and look for something a little better to best your Rotel.

I haven't heard any Canton but after your description, I think they'll be on my list. I have no local dealer but perhaps I can head into Detroit or someplace. Be careful when comparing them to panels or electrostats, those guys just may show up at your door, prepared to hurt you. lol. Which models can you suggest I look at?

OK Byron I have to head into the shower and then I'm off to your beautiful country for AKFest.

Suspended
    The reference to Frenchmon's Canton's sounding like electrostats was in reference to how they gave sort of a 3D feel to certain midrange instruments like organ, the Canton projecting the image like it was right in the room. That's what got me interested in checking out a pair of floorstanders but none around.

I don't know what to tell you. Clearly you've heard the awesome ability of the tubes in a pre function. It's always impressive with digital.

All the qualities you lust for, I think the tube pre will help to bring out BEYOND your current Rotel. I have heard several Rotel combo's, possibly even your pre. They do indeed sound nice.

All I'm saying is that a guy who likes vocals and jazz should at least TRY OUT a proper tubed pre. I know that you understand better than this, but alot of guys fear that their sound will turn into mush if they have tube/tube-pre/amp.

I suspect they would also add a real immediacy through your Cantons by the sounds of it. I think your view of immediacy is emotion, which is a damn great description. I was lacking a serious chunk of my system's output before putting on those speakers.

Anyhow, I hope you don't think I'm trying to start the ol SS vs Tubes nonsense. If you were going to audition a full out pre amp with tubes, you would have to step up from that particular Grant unit, and look for something a little better to best your Rotel.

I haven't heard any Canton but after your description, I think they'll be on my list. I have no local dealer but perhaps I can head into Detroit or someplace. Be careful when comparing them to panels or electrostats, those guys just may show up at your door, prepared to hurt you. lol. Which models can you suggest I look at?

OK Byron I have to head into the shower and then I'm off to your beautiful country for AKFest.
    Thanks for the kind reply poppaC...Yeah I think the tubed preamp is where im headed but I was looking for something soon that would feed the need for my lap top as well. Dont know when I will be able to pull the trigger on the tubed pre I really want. It was LeRoy who helped me see the need for Emotion and passion from a speaker and he was spot on...the Cantons had all of the emotion and passion and where not ho hum or boring at all. and it was MrP who helped me see that the Cantons are special...I thought it was in my head at what they could do until I took them to Peabodys and without him saying it, he confirmed everything I thought was just in my head. But they take forever to break in. They have a large dispersment of sound....and a large and wide sound stage, it is why Canton recommends no toe in with any of their speakers. When they do break in...you will be rewarded...Im a Canton fan-boy for life. But they are so Dam expensive...and im cheap! As far as the tubed thing vs SS...to me its like Chevy and Ford...subjective. But that's not to say you can't get excellent result with SS because I know we can.

frenchmon

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon
    Thanks for the kind reply poppaC...Yeah I think the tubed preamp is where im headed but I was looking for something soon that would feed the need for my lap top as well. Dont know when I will be able to pull the trigger on the tubed pre I really want. It was LeRoy who helped me see the need for Emotion and passion from a speaker and he was spot on...the Cantons had all of the emotion and passion and where not ho hum or boring at all. and it was MrP who helped me see that the Cantons are special...I thought it was in my head at what they could do until I took them to Peabodys and without him saying it, he confirmed everything I thought was just in my head. But they take forever to break in. They have a large dispersment of sound....and a large and wide sound stage, it is why Canton recommends no toe in with any of their speakers. When they do break in...you will be rewarded...Im a Canton fan-boy for life. But they are so Dam expensive...and im cheap! As far as the tubed thing vs SS...to me its like Chevy and Ford...subjective. But that's not to say you can't get excellent result with SS because I know we can.

frenchmon
    Frenchie check out my AKFest post. I was able to listen to the P-307 as a phonostage with the Opera Consanance hooked in. An amazing sound. Smooth and seamless. The thing is Byron, it was inputted through a wonderful tube integrated with audiophile tubes.

It would be a lie for me to say that didn't have alot to do with what I heard. However, the LP 6.1 table is a real high end beast and was the P307 not up to the task, it would have been evident. I think the P-307 is a great value, especially for someone like yourself who doesn't want to commit to any heavy tube sound.

I saw a few diffeent tubed CDPs. Have you thought about that route at all?

Grant has a one day special on the P307 - $300 or the TubeDAC 09 - $200. Crazy cheap, if you have cash in hand you should buy up the DAC. For that price, if you decide you don't like it, you could make money on the resale to cover your shipping and it would have cost you zero!!

http://grantfidelity.com/site/Grant_...ty_Tube_DAC-09

Forum Regular
    Hey frenchmon,

I think you should check out Space Tech Lab in Vancouver, BC: http://www.space-tech-lab.com/.

The owners name is Albert and he has been helping me with my 2 channel system. He makes all of his gear, from all kinds of tube amps to speakers to tube rectifiers to CDP's,etc. His gear ranges from very affordable to fairly expensive but everything he does is hand built and he takes a lot of pride in what he does.

Albert is amazing to talk to and he will return emails ASAP and talk to you on the phone for as long as you need to get the information you are looking for. His knowledge of electronics is amazing and he can steer you in the right direction based on the current gear you have and the musical preferences you have.

He has spent hours with me going over some tube gear that will work for my 2ch setup. He is a one man show and relies on word of mouth and his website to advertise his gear. I have never seen a bad review of his gear and even his entry level tube pre-amp, at $480, is supposed to be really nice. He also builds DACs and tube buffers for CD.

Check it out and let me know what you think. He has been amazing with me and he has answered all of my questions and he seems to know the sound attributes and quality of all kinds of gear in the audio market.

I will be getting a pre-amp from him in July. I have to wait until then because he lives about 8hours from me and I don't want to ship. I will be going in July to see my sister's newborn so I can kill two birds with one stone. I am hoping to get one of his tube power amps shortly thereafter.

Hope all is well with you and Mr. P.

Quote Originally Posted by devuonoste
    Hey frenchmon,

I think you should check out Space Tech Lab in Vancouver, BC: http://www.space-tech-lab.com/.

The owners name is Albert and he has been helping me with my 2 channel system. He makes all of his gear, from all kinds of tube amps to speakers to tube rectifiers to CDP's,etc. His gear ranges from very affordable to fairly expensive but everything he does is hand built and he takes a lot of pride in what he does.

Albert is amazing to talk to and he will return emails ASAP and talk to you on the phone for as long as you need to get the information you are looking for. His knowledge of electronics is amazing and he can steer you in the right direction based on the current gear you have and the musical preferences you have.

He has spent hours with me going over some tube gear that will work for my 2ch setup. He is a one man show and relies on word of mouth and his website to advertise his gear. I have never seen a bad review of his gear and even his entry level tube pre-amp, at $480, is supposed to be really nice. He also builds DACs and tube buffers for CD.

Check it out and let me know what you think. He has been amazing with me and he has answered all of my questions and he seems to know the sound attributes and quality of all kinds of gear in the audio market.

I will be getting a pre-amp from him in July. I have to wait until then because he lives about 8hours from me and I don't want to ship. I will be going in July to see my sister's newborn so I can kill two birds with one stone. I am hoping to get one of his tube power amps shortly thereafter.

Hope all is well with you and Mr. P.
    Nice to hear from you devuonoste. I will take a look at his site. I am doing well by Gods grace, and I think MrP is well also. HO wis your XRAY??? Do you still have it? Did you get it all worked out...Let us know.

frenchmon

Forum Regular
    Hi frenchmon,

I still have my Xray but have not upgraded my 2ch system yet, as I have to wait until July before I can do some critical listening because that is when I get my tube pre-amp. I initially purchased an integrated tube amp but it had some hum issues and it wasn't the best fit for my speakers so that is what led me to Space Tech Labs.

I can't wait to get my 2ch system up and running. I think in the future I will also purchase a tube buffer for the x-ray and then my 2ch system will be complete.

Hope you and Mr. P. are enjoying your systems and I can see that Mr. P. is playing around with some different gear. My cousin has Klipsch Heresey speakers and I have always enjoyed the sound of his system.

I will let you guys know my impressions of my 2ch system, hopefully later this year.

Take Care

Frenchie check out my AKFest post. I was able to listen to the P-307 as a phonostage with the Opera Consanance hooked in. An amazing sound. Smooth and seamless. The thing is Byron, it was inputted through a wonderful tube integrated with audiophile tubes.

It would be a lie for me to say that didn't have alot to do with what I heard. However, the LP 6.1 table is a real high end beast and was the P307 not up to the task, it would have been evident. I think the P-307 is a great value, especially for someone like yourself who doesn't want to commit to any heavy tube sound.

I saw a few diffeent tubed CDPs. Have you thought about that route at all?

Grant has a one day special on the P307 - $300 or the TubeDAC 09 - $200. Crazy cheap, if you have cash in hand you should buy up the DAC. For that price, if you decide you don't like it, you could make money on the resale to cover your shipping and it would have cost you zero!!

http://grantfidelity.com/site/Grant_...ty_Tube_DAC-09
    I have not thought of upgrading to a tubed CDP as of yet. I keep hoping that I will find a good used X-DACv8 on audiogon with a good price. The X-DAC v8 is a tubed DAC and is made for the X-RAY CDv8. I know im going to hit the jack pot with that one. I don't really think I would want to use the P-307's DAC section as I think the X-RAY CDP would have a better DAC...but if I could use it with my lap-top and maybe just a tube buffer that would be fine.

frenchmon, please click the link I sent you. The tubeDAC-09 can be switched to function as a pre-amp, simple jumper switch. They can do it for you before shipping. Anyhow, keep me posted if you start actively pursuing something outside of the XDAC.

Thanks poppaC....yes i've seen that DAC as well. There is another guy who also sells that same DAC under a different name.....I saw it last week but cant remember where. I msure I will get a tubed DAC sooon....I ve got just to much music stored on my hard drive.

frenchmon

Suspended
    You would not believe what popped up on CL last night! A set of Cornwalls. Boy, I'd like to hook them up to hear them and see how big they actually are. The guy sounds like he's all business and no playing around though. If those were on there before I bought the Forte..... I guess life will go on.

and on and on and on....

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    You would not believe what popped up on CL last night! A set of Cornwalls. Boy, I'd like to hook them up to hear them and see how big they actually are. The guy sounds like he's all business and no playing around though. If those were on there before I bought the Forte..... I guess life will go on.
    What is he asking for the Cornwalls?
    If it is a good deal I'd get the Cornwalls and flip the Forte's.
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700
    Rogers BBC Monitors LS3/6

Suspended
    He's asking $1199.00 and they are Cornwall II made between 86-90 so I'm not certain how good of a deal it is. If I got a speaker that large it would be more than a difficult fit and I'd have to commit over to them totally. That's not so big a hurdle but before jumping I'd sure like to hear them on my system first. The II's do not use titanium. I'd be more tempted if they were III's. that way a Heresy would make a great center channel. Could even rig the other Heresy as a rear center. Those Cornwalls are about 90 lbs. each.

Mr. Peabody, last night I was at an AK member's home and heard a wonderful pair of modded K-Horns. They were visually stunning as he had found mint grills and badges, and had refinished the wooden boxes. The speakers were being driven by some fantastic Stromsburg tube gear, I forget the topology. We listened to a Pioneer PL-512/Ortofon SuperOM-20 into a DIY phono stage.

Impressive would be an understatement. Superb detail and amazing highs. Although a bit rolled off from the amp, I couldn't believe how thick and tonal they were. We threw on some rock and listened to most of a Pretenders LP, it was a real pleasure.

He rescued the speakers for $300 and presumably put as much or more into refurbing. Anyhow, I thought you would like to know that K-Horns could be a great option for your Klipsch journey.

Forum Regular
    Here's a thread from another forum with some pretty cool K-Horn restoration work:

http://horen.lifeme.net/klipsch-klip...berts-t242.htm

and a bunch of crossovers he built for various Klipsch speakers too:

http://horen.lifeme.net/crossover-pi...overs-t250.htm

Very impressive work...
    Tim Evans
    East Street Audio
    Onix, Melody, & ACA

Suspended
    Poppa, the Khorns are beasts and require more roaming room than I have but I'd love to have a pair of Cornwalls. I don't have room for them either but would figure something out.

A place in town is going to have some Palladiums in for an event coming up in June.

Well Peabody, I may be following in your footsteps. There is a local seller who has both KG3 and KG4. Both pairs are in excellent condition. He lives out of town but has welcomed me to come and listen. I am trying to establish if the KG4 is worth the extra money. I figure my ears will end up being the best judge. They share very similar specs, with the KG4 edging out on power handling.

Anyhow, I was romancing a used pair of Dahlquist bookshelves. They are at my local shop from a trade in. I hooked them into a 35wpc Shanling and they sounded quite lovely, reminiscent of my current pair. I also have Tekton on the brain.

I think I will be going the Klipsch way. Excited actually. I love the aluminum horn of my Sound Dynamics, but the 15 is alot to push in my room. The smaller woofers sound much better.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Pops

Good luck on the pursuit of the KG's! A pair comes up around here from time to time but usually at a premium price.

My daughter decided to take some summer classes so my plans for the Heresy's have been put on hold a little longer.........
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700
    Rogers BBC Monitors LS3/6

Suspended
    I'm not familiar with the KG series. Let me know how it went? There's a pair of LaScalla II for sale $1500.00 in my area. I really really wish I had the room.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information