Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    AR Newbie Registered Member Zodd61's Avatar
    The crackling noise is when I adjust the controls on the back of the speakers (HPM-40's) I think I'm going to try and find a good repair shop and have the 100' and the 40's recapped. I don't think I can handle the job. I have a few other things that need repairs too. Marantz 4415 needs left "B' power and a few lights. Hartley Zodiac 78's need refoamed(mabey caps too), Sansui 210 needs cleaned and a few lights. It's just a matter of finding someone near to me that does good work.
    Last edited by Zodd61; 12-14-2011 at 05:50 PM.

Forum Regular
    great insight here

AR Newbie Registered Member

Thumbs up HPM-100 is really good for listening classical music

I listen classical music. I got a pair of HPM-100 free from the local craigslist about one year ago. The speakers are very intact, and look like new. The only problem is that one of the two tweeters was burned up. So far I have used a replacement of Sony tweeter. It works just fine, and the sound is still amazing. Thare are the best speakers that I have ever heard. I like it very much. I wish I could have a chance to buy an original teweeter.
    Last edited by C-Karl-L; 12-14-2011 at 09:05 PM. Reason: have several typos

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Karl-L View Post
    I listen classical music. I got a pair of HPM-100 free from the local craigslist about one year ago. The speakers are very intact, and look like new. The only problem is that one of the two tweeters was burned up. So far I have used a replacement of Sony tweeter. It works just fine, and the sound is still amazing. Thare are the best speakers that I have ever heard. I like it very much. I wish I could have a chance to buy an original teweeter.
    You may be aware of this already but E-Bay will have at any given time, @ 5 pairs of tweeters up for bid. If you are patience, you can find your exact model (** that should be listed on the back of the magnet ) at a fair price.

** model number should look something like this ( example: 45-711B ), there are several different models of tweeters in the HPM line.

What are differences among different models?

Quote Originally Posted by cjpremierfour View Post
    You may be aware of this already but E-Bay will have at any given time, @ 5 pairs of tweeters up for bid. If you are patience, you can find your exact model (** that should be listed on the back of the magnet ) at a fair price.

** model number should look something like this ( example: 45-711B ), there are several different models of tweeters in the HPM line.
    Hi thanks for you suggestion. My question is "What are differences among different models?" Could you please provide more information? I found my model number is 45-711A, Is this different from the model 45-711B? Thanks so much!

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Karl-L View Post
    Hi thanks for you suggestion. My question is "What are differences among different models?" Could you please provide more information? I found my model number is 45-711A, Is this different from the model 45-711B? Thanks so much!
    I wish I could tell you the difference but I can't without guessing. I do know there were 2 types of HPM 100s. One was the 100 watt version and the other was the 200 watt version which will have a silver trim ring @ the speaker's port. ( just below the cone tweeter )
    The two models seem to have no difference in the crossover values but the 200 watt version does use higher wattage rated components in some areas.
    I have read some post about the difference in woofers/ mids/ tweets on the various HPM models but there is no Technicial Info to prove anything that I have ever ran across.

There could be a difference or they may be exactly the same with the B model being made later in time of the production run. It's really hard to say.

I have a pair of Pioneer HPM-100 speakers in the plexigalss cabinet that I have owned for 30 years. They are pretty much original. I had one woofer that had a chair fall aginst it and tore it and one tweeter that had been pushed in by a child (what is it about the center cone on speakers that makes kids want to push them in?). I replaced both speakers with replacements I bought on eBay. Everything else is original and except for a little discoloration on the speaker material, they still look and sound great. They are still the main front speakers on my surround sound setup. Anyone have any idea what a pair of these with the plexiglass cabinets are worth?

Forum Regular
    nice man i have pair of pioneer 700 hpm

Pioneer HPM-100 Restoration

Quote Originally Posted by Zodd61 View Post
    The guy I bought the HPM 100's had them sence new, but they had been sitting in a garage from many years. He let me have them for $80.00. I can tell a little difference when I adjust the knobs on the front of them. I found a walk through on changing them out. Never tryed this kind of thing before so I'm a little tense about it.
    For the 100's
    2x 005-10 Mills 10 Ohm 12W Non-Inductive Resistor
    2x 027-419 Dayton DMPC-4.34.3uF 250V Polypropylene Capacitor
    2x 027-220 Dayton PMPC-3.0 3.0uF 250V Precision Audio Capacitor
    2x 027-462 Jantzen0.15uF 1200V Z-Superior Capacitor
    Could'nt find a walk through on the HPM 40's or any parts numbers. They have some crackling when I adjust the knobs on the back.

Zodd61,
    I am trying to restore my HPM-100 and being first timer DIY er , would sure appreciate help from you and others here.
    I wish to change or upgrade caps, resistors , binding posts,
    internal wiring, add Deflex elastopolymer panels .
    My spkrs are 200 watts , so type C crossover.
    I read on crossover the following values on caps and resistors:
    Capacitors : 4.4 K 100 V , 3 K 100 V , 0.15 uFD 63 V ,
    Resistor : 10 ohm 5 watts

I do not know how to convert K into uFD . So what value of uFD
    caps I should buy ?
    Help , suggestions will be appreciated.
    Thanks , this is my first post on the forum.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Radni View Post
    Zodd61,
    I am trying to restore my HPM-100 and being first timer DIY er , would sure appreciate help from you and others here.
    I wish to change or upgrade caps, resistors , binding posts,
    internal wiring, add Deflex elastopolymer panels .
    My spkrs are 200 watts , so type C crossover.
    I read on crossover the following values on caps and resistors:
    Capacitors : 4.4 K 100 V , 3 K 100 V , 0.15 uFD 63 V ,
    Resistor : 10 ohm 5 watts

I do not know how to convert K into uFD . So what value of uFD
    caps I should buy ?
    Help , suggestions will be appreciated.
    Thanks , this is my first post on the forum.
    The cap values are 4.4uf at 100v, 3uf at 100v, 0.15uf at 63v and a 10 ohm resister at 5 watts. Good luck on your restore!

Thanks for the lead. Very much appreciated. I have 4 HPM-100's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information