Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    AR Newbie Registered Member

pioneer hpm-100's are they that great? help

I am a new member, I have 3 good receivers. A sansui g-9700, a kenwood kr-9600 and a kenwood kr-9050. I have 3 pairs sansui sp-x9000 speakers and 2 pair of 300 and 350 watt kenwoods. I have read that the sansui's do not have very good sound, they kick the kenwoods butt! I have been reading alot about pioneer's hpm-100 -200 watters. Are they really that good of speaker? I also understand you can throw anything at them. Do they make anything new at a good price that will compete with these vintage speakers using with my receivers? I am 47 and still like it LOUD, THANKS FOR ANY INFO THAT WILL HELP ME!

Suspended
    I had a pair of HPM's, I can't remember which model, they had a 10" woofer, a midrange, tweeter and super tweet. They also had controls on the back for mids and highs. If you can get them cheap and only use them with a lower power receiver you are probably alright. I blew the woofers out of mine by over powering them with a large Kenwood integrated, so, no, you can't throw anything at them.. I'd say you could probably find better speakers today for not a lot of money. The HPM's are not collectors items or "classics".

Kenwood had some decent stuff occasionally, tuners or amps, but not speakers. Some of the old vintage Infinity were pretty good, the RS series when they used IMG woofers, the black ones, or the Kappa series. The larger Kappa's need some serious current though. These will take some power to get loud but will sound good.

Depending on price, there are many today for you to listen to. The Insignia and Athena get good press here for cheap. Paradigm and entry B&W for a step up. If you aren't a critical listener and want really loud, give Klipsch a listen.

in addition to the sound advise from Mr Peabody,
    i've heard HPM-100's sound awful and i've heard them sound wonderful. the difference was in room tuning and eq. without the latter the HPM-100's are not going to sound good.
    AR MGC-1, AR C225 PS, M&K V-1B, Pioneer VSX 47TX, Oppo BDP-83, Squeezebox v3, Vortexbox Appliance.

Forum Regular
    There is a cult following that surround the HPM series speakers, many people believe that these are just the best speakers for Rock and Pop. There is around 50 people who own the HPM 100's and other HPM series speakers at a forum called ( Audiokarma.org ). These guys could give you a detailed description of what the strenght and weakness is of the whole HPM line.
    Good Luck!

Having owned these speakers for a few years now, I would have to say, if you listen
    to Rock and or want an extremely detailed sound, you can't go wrong. These were
    designed by the same guy who designed JBL's monitors in the 70's. JBL pissed him
    off, so off to pioneer he went. The power rating has been a non-issue for me. I've
    driven them with a few hafler amps of over 300wpc. I recently re-capped the crossovers,
    and they sound like carpet was pulled off the grills, it was a big shock in sound. These
    speakers are all around performers, at home with Mozart, priest you name it. They
    also more than hold there own as HT main speakers, you don't even need a sub. Mine
    has never been set above 20hz. Of course they were built to rival JBL's 4312/l100 line
    up, some say they do the job, some would never say it, all I know if you want a Rock
    speaker that plays extremely loud, with no fall off in sound, can handle gobs of power
    and can be had for about $200-$500, there a no brainer. Be advised, they are VERY
    heavy for a bookshelve speaker, about 60LBS each, so plan your shipping carefully.
    Good luck, if you have any questions, let me know.
    Sunfire TGP-5 Pre/Pro
    Carver A760-x
    Carver TFM25
    Carver TFM15 x 2
    Sunfire Signature "True Sub"
    JBL Studio L890(Front)
    JBL Studio L830(Rear)
    Infinity PC350(Center)
    Oppo Digital 983H
    Panasonic Viera TH-46PZ85U
    Panasonic DMP-BD50 Blu-ray Player
    Power Protection/Filters-Monster HTS 5100 MKII
    Canare Interconnects

Suspended
    Likeitloud, did you read my earlier post? Does it sound like I had HPM's? If yours handled Haflers, I'm wondering which model I had. I'm sure they were HPM's. The Kenwood amp I had was a beast, I never ran it into distortion, but I did blow the cones right off the basket. Well, actually the cracked all apart. There could have maybe been some hidden damage when I got them but they sounded alright. Of course, this has been many years and nights of sleep ago, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Likeitloud, did you read my earlier post? Does it sound like I had HPM's? If yours handled Haflers, I'm wondering which model I had. I'm sure they were HPM's. The Kenwood amp I had was a beast, I never ran it into distortion, but I did blow the cones right off the basket. Well, actually the cracked all apart. There could have maybe been some hidden damage when I got them but they sounded alright. Of course, this has been many years and nights of sleep ago, too.
    Actually, I have heard of the midrange or tweeter failing, I can't imagine what it would
    take for that to happen, other than distortion or clipping. As with all speakers, we can't,
    go to crazy, with speakers 25 yrs old, it goes without saying. I know my pair, have been
    very durable, and sound excellent, Ive had a few current/new sets borrowed from
    friends, and these always go back on duty, there's nothing out there under $500, that
    compare, IMO, I listen to Rock/Metal, and these are a perfect fit.
    Sunfire TGP-5 Pre/Pro
    Carver A760-x
    Carver TFM25
    Carver TFM15 x 2
    JBL Studio L890(Front)
    JBL Studio L830(Rear)
    Infinity PC350(Center)
    Oppo Digital 983H
    Canare Interconnects

Suspended
    The mids and highs hung in there, it was the woofers that blew. Was the 100 a 10" with controls and super tweet? Actually, I put a set of Proton 10" car subs in the cabinets and used them in the basement for a long time and eventually gave them to a friend.

The mids and highs hung in there, it was the woofers that blew. Was the 100 a 10" with controls and super tweet? Actually, I put a set of Proton 10" car subs in the cabinets and used them in the basement for a long time and eventually gave them to a friend.
    They have a 12" driver and are 4 way speakers, with a ribbon supertweeter, the woofer
    is made of a kind of carbon fiber material, not paper, and there's no foam. I have
    heard the voice coil is the weak link, but have'nt had a problem, yet. They do have
    mid/high attenuators much like JBL monitors of the day.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Sunfire TGP-5 Pre/Pro
    Carver A760-x
    Carver TFM25
    Carver TFM15 x 2
    JBL Studio L890(Front)
    JBL Studio L830(Rear)
    Infinity PC350(Center)
    Oppo Digital 983H
    Canare Interconnects

Forum Regular
    Hi jevuichard; around 1983, my friend wanted some speakers so we went into a store. We A/B/C/D/ a bunch of floorstanding stuff there, but the winners PERIOD were the HMP-100s. How we got those things back to his place, I cannot remember. They are particular to the type of equipment run on them but these speakers will sing and dance any kind of music with audio amplifiers etc, that seem to be the most compliant to their sound. They played wonderfully on a Pioneer SA-7700 int. amp.@60 watts per channel. They surprisngly worked well with a 1980s low power Scott receiver. My friend still has them, but uses them in a secondary house on his property. Note that the woofers have paper surrounds which seem to last forever over many of the rubber surround types that wilt away. IMHO one of the best floorstanding speakers that were ever made for the money. Heavy, they are, and heavy they play.............

Suspended
    Mine definitely had 10's. I bet maybe I had a model down from the 100's.

You had HPM 60's, 3 way, 10" woofer, I've heard a pair, a kick ass speaker from back
    in the day!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Sunfire TGP-5 Pre/Pro
    Carver A760-x
    Carver TFM25
    Carver TFM15 x 2
    JBL Studio L890(Front)
    JBL Studio L830(Rear)
    Infinity PC350(Center)
    Oppo Digital 983H
    Canare Interconnects

superdougiefreshness

My HPM-60's are 4 way speakers folks

Quote Originally Posted by likeitloud
    You had HPM 60's, 3 way, 10" woofer, I've heard a pair, a kick ass speaker from back
    in the day!
    The HPM-40's were the only 3-way driver configuration in the HPM line up folks. As I type this I am sitting right in front of my own pair of HPM-60's and they are originally configured as 4-way's ONLY. The HPM-60's are rated for 60 watts and maximum input is 120 watts, yeah they blow baby. I have never heard these played on anything with more power then my 40 watt NAD receiver, so I am sure if I really powered these babies I would be jamming big time for a small bedroom. I have a different pair of midrange in my pair since I bought them with one blown, soon to replace with another to have the original design to listen to. I love these speakers for the heavy bass, and everyone is correct I never use a sub for movies because these babies play pretty darn low and this seems more then enough for my small listening space. The 3-way picture here is not the HPM-60's - just to keep things correct - not to brag or anything of that nature. Thanks to all of you for this cool thread - and exactly where do we draw the line on what year something turns vintage ? I have these HPM's which were made from 1977-1979 years only, and the oldest speakers I have recently seen in retail thrift stores are running as old as 1969-1970. I thought I had vintage pioneer's I may be wrong, when we buy older cars I though 22 years made it official in some states as historic plate material. Please comment here on that topic - would love to hear everyone speak on that for a while. Oh by the way when that dude left JBL to make the Pioneer HPM's he must of been very pissed off to have made such a nice sounding speaker that people still love after 30 years - for sure. I would love to listen to newer equivalent speakers if I knew what to go an find on the market, but I am so satisfied with HPM sound, only on rock and heavy material. I listen to other material on true British bookshelf's for a true jazz sound or classical image.

Later Dudes - thanks for letting this audio geek ramble on like a bass drum.

SuperDougieFreshNess - San Diego,CA - Heaven on Earth - Espechilly in March !

superdougiefreshness

Pioneer HPM Speaker Info; Dudes the 70's Rocked

Hi everyone, Just to help clear things up with Pioneer HPM "1970's" speakers. This original series had several priced models with a higher end evolving from the HPM-150's into what was "Pioneers superior Pro division TAD (Technical Audio Devices)."
    http://www.thevintageknob.org/PIONEER/HPM150/HPM150.html

HPM-40's are 3 ways with what looks like no midrange, just the tweeter and super tweeter and 10" woofer--strange but possible that there is not a regular tweeter and just a small midrange. This would need some clarification by others here within the forum.
    http://members.aol.com/KDresch/hpm-40.html

HPM-60's are 4-ways with the addition of a midrange driver also 10" woofers
    HPM-100's are 4-ways with 12" bass woofers.
    http://chambana.craigslist.org/ele/317520572.html

HPM-150's are also 4-way speakers with different and even larger woofers probably a 15" and the super tweeter is very different.
    http://www.classic-audio.com/pioneer/hpm0150.html

The only difference between the 60's and the 100's was the woofer/cabinet size's and the power they could handle.

And yes I love my HPM-60's
    Hope this info helps.
    SuperDougieFreshNess - San Diego,CA
    Last edited by superdougiefreshness; 05-04-2007 at 01:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by superdougiefreshness
    Hi everyone, Just to help clear things up with Pioneer HPM "1970's" speakers. This original series had several priced models with a higher end evolving from the HPM-150's into what was "Pioneers superior Pro division TAD (Technical Audio Devices)."
    http://www.thevintageknob.org/PIONEER/HPM150/HPM150.html

HPM-40's are 3 ways with what looks like no midrange, just the tweeter and super tweeter and 10" woofer--strange but possible that there is not a regular tweeter and just a small midrange. This would need some clarification by others here within the forum.
    http://members.aol.com/KDresch/hpm-40.html

HPM-60's are 4-ways with the addition of a midrange driver also 10" woofers
    HPM-100's are 4-ways with 12" bass woofers.
    http://chambana.craigslist.org/ele/317520572.html

HPM-150's are also 4-way speakers with different and even larger woofers probably a 15" and the super tweeter is very different.
    http://www.classic-audio.com/pioneer/hpm0150.html

The only difference between the 60's and the 100's was the woofer/cabinet size's and the power they could handle.

And yes I love my HPM-60's
    Hope this info helps.
    SuperDougieFreshNess - San Diego,CA
    My Bad, you have it right, hell, my surrounds are HPM 40's, to much Bud and Jack the
    other night, Thanks for the run down, now, gotta go Crank some tunes.
    Sunfire TGP-5 Pre/Pro
    Carver A760-x
    Carver TFM25
    Carver TFM15 x 2
    JBL Studio L890(Front)
    JBL Studio L830(Rear)
    Infinity PC350(Center)
    Oppo Digital 983H
    Canare Interconnects

Suspended
    Thanks for the info. I definitely had the 60's. If I had known they were going to be sought after some day I might have treated them better and hung on to them. I over powered them. As far as I know, the guy I gave them to is still using them with a small Kenwood receiver. They don't have the same woofers though.

superdougiefreshness
    Thanks for the info. I definitely had the 60's. If I had known they were going to be sought after some day I might have treated them better and hung on to them. I over powered them. As far as I know, the guy I gave them to is still using them with a small Kenwood receiver. They don't have the same woofers though.
    Hi Peabody,
    Have your friend look into and maybe contact Oaktree for the correct woofers for the HPM-60's, he may be impressed with the original old stock sound they are so sought after for. And can you let me know what new drivers he is using for the woofers he has replaced and the model #s ? I would like to look at the stats for down the road with my pair as well.
    http://www.oaktreeent.com
    Thanks
    SuperDougieFreshNess

Suspended
    I know this will make you cringe. I blew the woofers out way back in the late 80's or early 90's. I worked at an audio store then. We got a good buy on some Proton 10" car subs which had aluminum baskets and a grill over the front. I replaced the HPM's with a pair of Infinity Kappa 7's, so I just was going to replace the woofer with something cheap, but decent, and use them in my basement on a second system. I chose the Proton's because of the power handling, price, and I thought with the grill on front the HPM's would look cool without a grill. The sound of the HPM's were certainly not the same but not as bad as you'd think either. The friend I gave them to was a good friend who helped me with a lot of stuff so I gave them to him. I felt sorry for him because he had a cheap pair of Kenwood's which blew and he replaced them with whatever he could find at Radio Shack. He was happy to get the HPM's but I doubt if he'd ever spend money on the real woofers.

superdougiefreshness

Yeah I have switched out drivers before on other speakers !

I know this will make you cringe. I blew the woofers out way back in the late 80's or early 90's. I worked at an audio store then. We got a good buy on some Proton 10" car subs which had aluminum baskets and a grill over the front. I The sound of the HPM's were certainly not the same but not as bad as you'd think either.
    I have a question about damping the cabinets a bit or much more on my HPM-60's. Sometimes when I play them a little harder the cabinet sounds hollow, what is the most effective way of dealing with this since this is a ported design ?

Thanks
    SDFN "short for" SUPDOUGFRSHNESS

Suspended
    Though it's ported you can still add some insulation material inside the cabinet. If the sound is reflections caused inside the cabinet this should help. If you are hearing noises caused by the port itself, I'm not sure if there is anything that will help that. The cabinets are fairly heavy but you could also try additional internal bracing to see if that helps.

Forum Regular
    I looked at a pair of HPM 150's at the Goodwill the other day...

The thing I saw is how the carbon-laminate stuff the cones are made from can fail over time. They became brittle and failed, they almost fell apart when I flexed them. That is probably why the earlier poster claimed he "blew" his up.

Otherwise, I wanted to bring them home with me.

jocko

superdougiefreshness

Yeah dude the HPM-150's were higher powered

Quote Originally Posted by jocko_nc
    I looked at a pair of HPM 150's at the Goodwill the other day...

The thing I saw is how the carbon-laminate stuff the cones are made from can fail over time. They became brittle and failed, they almost fell apart when I flexed them. That is probably why the earlier poster claimed he "blew" his up.

Otherwise, I wanted to bring them home with me.

jocko
    Dude,
    I have never seen the HPM-150's in person just pictures and they are more space age kind of looking. Did ya give um a try ? Even blown foams can play. I think they were rated at max 400 watts so I am sure most people who had these never powered them correctly and just blow them to hell with distortion as they clipped their 100 watt receivers. You might have picked them up at about $50 bucks and just re-foamed any drivers that had failed. The top had very odd looking super tweeter if I am not mistaken. What price were they selling them for at the thrift store if I could ask? Just the low end bass drivers alone where probably running in the same pressure levels that todays modest subs perform and that was easy for those bad boys. I am pretty sure that all the larger drivers in the pair of HPM-150's you saw were different in that they had real rubber foam around the driver instead of the paper that looks tar coated like my HPM-60's. For that reason the failed foams might have been made out of entirely different materials than my pair of 60's, you see my pair of speakers have no rot at all and they are just as old "30 years now" as the pair in the thrift store you saw. Dude you should of bought them just for the parts like the crossovers and such I know that Oaktree would of loved to have had the parts to sell by piece to others owners. Thanks for letting us all know that the bargains are still out there for the DIY fixer uppers like myself.

Dude check out the rack of Pioneer Silver Face 70's stuff and look through the pictures of the HPM-150's this guy had on e-bay, very cool indeed..........back in the day my friend...........back in the day..........!!!

LINK : http://cgi.ebay.com/PIONEER-HPM-150-...em#PicturePack

Later
    SuprDugiFrshNis - Saanday Eggo,
    "Arnold would say" Calli Fornia dudes - Heaven on Earth
    Last edited by superdougiefreshness; 05-10-2007 at 01:38 AM.

2 channel lover

hpm 100's

Quote Originally Posted by jevuichard
    I am a new member, I have 3 good receivers. A sansui g-9700, a kenwood kr-9600 and a kenwood kr-9050. I have 3 pairs sansui sp-x9000 speakers and 2 pair of 300 and 350 watt kenwoods. I have read that the sansui's do not have very good sound, they kick the kenwoods butt! I have been reading alot about pioneer's hpm-100 -200 watters. Are they really that good of speaker? I also understand you can throw anything at them. Do they make anything new at a good price that will compete with these vintage speakers using with my receivers? I am 47 and still like it LOUD, THANKS FOR ANY INFO THAT WILL HELP ME!

ive got a set an i wouldnt trade them for any other speaker! yes, they can take a certain amount of abuse, ive had mine as loud as 150 watts with no distortation or clipping!! a higher wattage amp will "open" them up, they seem to just absorb the power and love it !! im now working on tryin to get a set of 1500's hpm's but in order to run these the high way you need to have a high powered amp not a low powered one as clipping and fring them will occur
    I BELONG TO A REAL AUDIO
    FORUM

Quote Originally Posted by 2325fan
    ive had mine as loud as 150 watts

??????
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Quote Originally Posted by 2325fan
    ive got a set an i wouldnt trade them for any other speaker! yes, they can take a certain amount of abuse, ive had mine as loud as 150 watts with no distortation or clipping!! a higher wattage amp will "open" them up, they seem to just absorb the power and love it !! im now working on tryin to get a set of 1500's hpm's but in order to run these the high way you need to have a high powered amp not a low powered one as clipping and fring them will occur
    You may have the speakers run by an amp with 150wpc, but you DID NOT crank a
    steady 150watts into them, first you'd be deaf, second the speakers would be toast.
    Sunfire TGP-5 Pre/Pro
    Carver A760-x
    Carver TFM25
    Carver TFM15 x 2
    JBL Studio L890(Front)
    JBL Studio L830(Rear)
    Infinity PC350(Center)
    Oppo Digital 983H