Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar

Sound Dynamics 1200 SMT

Well, I am leaving right now to go pick up my mint condition Sound Dynamics. I have bought them for $100, a fantastic deal. The seller is the original owner and an audiophile.

Of course, these aren't the "end all" in speakers. However, they are much more than a frathouse speaker. They were crafted originally to compete with the growing west coast speaker market, JBL, Cerwin Vega and the like. I have bought them to pair with my Golden Tube SE-40. They have a horned tweeter and are extremely easy to drive.

A few months ago, a buddy of mine decided to repair his set of this exact model. One of the surrounds had deteriorated. As I have a friend who's a tech, I took them in for him. When the work was complete, Mike the tech had these hooked up along with a pair of his Paradigm Reference Studio 60. We did some A/B testing with various jazz and rock recordings. Of course, the Paradigms were way better in terms of stage and transparency, but let me tell you, the Sound Dynamics kept up. I actually couldn't believe it, one 12" and a tweeter was making so much beautiful music.

Suffice it to say, I never figured I would find a decent pair, but here I am. I'll post some pics when I get back. The Golden Tube will be ready in a couple of weeks, so I'll give some feedback then.

I am in the selection process of building a pair of frugal horns. Materials have to be just right.

Thanks for checking in and I would love to hear any thoughts you guys have.

Chubbs

Sounds ambitious Poppa, I hope you're up to the task. You better have done your homework
    Is this your first speaker building project? Mine went ok but i'm not crazy about the results. I used 'full range' Tang Band 4" drivers but they definitely need tweeters and probably some kind of a filter to clear up the midrange. That will probably be my next project. I promised some pics just need to upload them here.

If you're pairing the Sound Dynamics with the Golden Tube, what are the Frugals going to be driven by?

Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    Sounds ambitious Poppa, I hope you're up to the task. You better have done your homework
    Is this your first speaker building project? Mine went ok but i'm not crazy about the results. I used 'full range' Tang Band 4" drivers but they definitely need tweeters and probably some kind of a filter to clear up the midrange. That will probably be my next project. I promised some pics just need to upload them here.

If you're pairing the Sound Dynamics with the Golden Tube, what are the Frugals going to be driven by?
    AA, how are you doin'? Hope your holiday went well. I will be using the Metronome design which is about as simple as it gets. One full range speaker in each. Check it out, you can view the plan also...http://www.frugal-horn.com/metronome.html

The Metronomes will be for the Golden Tube. I'll worry about what to do with the Sound Dynamics later. I may possibly run a "B" pair from the Golden Tube, to the other end of the room, as a second option. Who knows. For $100, it was far too good to pass up. I can easily re-sell them for a small profit of $25 - $50. I certainly won't need to take a loss.

Photos...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sound Dynamics 1200 SMT-dsc02723.jpg  

More..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sound Dynamics 1200 SMT-dsc02724.jpg  

Another
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sound Dynamics 1200 SMT-dsc02725.jpg  

Pics...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sound Dynamics 1200 SMT-dsc02726.jpg  

last one...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sound Dynamics 1200 SMT-dsc02727.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    AA, how are you doin'? Hope your holiday went well. I will be using the Metronome design which is about as simple as it gets. One full range speaker in each. Check it out, you can view the plan also...http://www.frugal-horn.com/metronome.html

The Metronomes will be for the Golden Tube. I'll worry about what to do with the Sound Dynamics later. I may possibly run a "B" pair from the Golden Tube, to the other end of the room, as a second option. Who knows. For $100, it was far too good to pass up. I can easily re-sell them for a small profit of $25 - $50. I certainly won't need to take a loss.
    I'm well, thanks. Had a great Christmas + new year with the whole of the family (siblings + spouses) unfortunately most of them have left now. I head back to the UK mid Jan.
    How about you?

It appears the Metronomes can be used with a variety of drivers, which one are you looking at? I heard the 8 inch Fostex was a bit weak in the extremes, but then that probably is very much cabinet dependent. That was in a ported (bass reflex) enclosure. It probably does better in a horn enclosure. I'm guessing the 6 inch would de better than the 8 inch in the highs but wouldn't be as good with the lows. It's a tradeoff really.

That's where I'm at right now. I have decided everything else except the driver. It's a tough choice, and the more reading I do, the harder it gets. I'll let you know before I decide. I'm listening to these SD's right now through my SS set up with some vinyl...wow...

Chubbs, you are amassing quite a collection of audio equipment. Your wife must be a doll!
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    Chubbs, you are amassing quite a collection of audio equipment. Your wife must be a doll!
    I plan to dump a bit of gear actually. I will sell off some speakers and a couple of amps. You're right, I have too much, but a deal is a deal, hard to pass up.

As for my wife, ya she's great. That's why I married her. She gives me the space I need to enjoy my hobbies, she will also sit through an entire kung fu movie w/ subtitles. Try to find a chick who'll do that!?!

As I buff my aluminum tweeters to perfection, I am thinking about how they sound. Alot of words are used when describing these and similar styled, metal dome tweeters. Mostly with a negative implication,,,bright, fatiguing,etc. I willl agree that they are not to everyone's liking, and indeed can be bright and fatiguing.

Overall, the SD 1200 isn't a very transparent or accurate speaker. The best description I can find to sum them up is...sweet. It does well with stage imaging, but not amazing. The midrange is easily its weakest area, although present the sound lacks detail, particularily when having to process several instruments.. The lows are great with it's 12 " woofer. And of course, IMO, the highs shine most on this giant, vintage beast.

Why? Back to the impeccably shiny aluminum dome tweeter. On the Sound Dynamics 1200 SMT, the tweeters have continuous gain control, in the form of a knob located in the cable enclosure. It's a fantastic feature which eliminates most issues people have with this variety of tweeter. In the high range dept., these speakers have an incredible leg up. With the gain set correctly, and speakers placed in a Cardas Golden Cuboid, the highs are magnificent. Extremely detailed and present. Shimmery yet never shrill or annoying.

I would sum these tweeters up with one word. Realism. This is best exemplified with brass instruments. A trumpet for instance, is nothing short of breathtaking. It quite literally sounds as though the musician is blowing into the back end of the tweeter itself. Every breath involved in each note is audible, making an extremely intimate performance. Joe Henderson's Inner Urge is remarkable. His fingers can be heard pumping each note in addition to his breathing and the music itself.

Aside from detail, the tone provided is exceptional. Extremely high and harsh notes from a horn scream out of the speaker, yet never cross the threshold of piercing or distorted. I could go on and on.

Overall I am quite happy to live with these speakers. They are a great match for my Golden Tube, as intended. I will however, upgrade in the near future. For now, I will enjoy my metal dome tone.

For now, I will enjoy my metal dome tone.
    I am also enjoying my 'Nautilus' metal domes

... my Golden Tube SE-40.....

Chubbs
    Speaking of your Golden Tube, when we gonna hear it, eh??

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Speaking of your Golden Tube, when we gonna hear it, eh??

Thanks for asking Bill! I would say it's ready to go. I have a handle on it's sound now, and the caps have all burned in most excellently. Evident from a dramatic increase in bass response and all around detail.

I am on day shift this coming week, this weekend is no good as we're having my Mother over.

I'll email you and lets try to do it. I want you to hear the TDA1543 DAC as well Bill. If you're interested, I have some DIY solid core speaker cables that I have made. I'll bring them and if you like them, they're yours. John Micheal sent me some audioquest solid core, so I have an extra set.

Chat soon...

Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    I am also enjoying my 'Nautilus' metal domes
    Try to get a copy of Henderson's Inner Urge Tony. Also, Sonny Rollins sax style is very "breathy", just amazing for metal dome. I would suggest Saxophone Collosus.

Try to get a copy of Henderson's Inner Urge Tony. Also, Sonny Rollins sax style is very "breathy", just amazing for metal dome. I would suggest Saxophone Collosus.
    I found them on Spotify, I'm listening right now

Forum Regular
    Hey Poppachubby, I didn't realise you had the knowledge to make this stuff. Impressive. The photos of your speakers in a way remind me of Klipsch Heresy's. By any chance, have you ever listened to them? Audiophiles over here are crazy about them

Quote Originally Posted by klif570
    Hey Poppachubby, I didn't realise you had the knowledge to make this stuff. Impressive. The photos of your speakers in a way remind me of Klipsch Heresy's. By any chance, have you ever listened to them? Audiophiles over here are crazy about them
    That's one speaker I have not heard. They are still on my radar, and have been for some time. I have a tube amp, and Heresy's are a nice match for a SET amp like mine.

When it's all said and done, I think I will build. I really want a pair of Frugal horns. Did you check out the link in this thread? I am also very partial to the open baffle design. Open baffle are VERY easy to build. If you are interested, I can post some links for your consideration.

Interestingly enough, Klipsch now own Sound Dynamics. Of course, SD are not even a shadow of what they used to be. They do build decent speakers, but more for the H/T crowd. Sound Dynamics, Energy, Athena and Mirage were all made by API, a great Canadian speaker manufacturer. Klipsch bought out these brands from API.

Forum Regular
    Oh the more I read threads like this the more I want to go back to 2 channel stereo. But I think 5.1 still suits my room better due to limited space.

Anyway, if or when you get a chance to listen to the Heresy's, please do share your thoughts. I don't like very bright speakers like Klipsch, but the Heresy's, those are classic!

Hey Pops, I'm thinking my next project will be open baffle. I'm very interested in the dipole sound and as you say they look very easy to build. I've been reading a lot on them recently. There's a forum for Open Baffle at audiocircle.com
    Another good link is http://www.enjoythemusic.com/diy/0709/open_baffle.htm

If you have the room, why not give it a shot?

Forum Regular
    hello everyone. Does someone have the doncumentation on spesc 1200 smt sound dynamics of the 12s-120s model ... is there some who know or trouverles parts for speakers (cone)! if not available on that model trust me another company? sound synamic s series or smt is extra ordinary definition sound. it may as well play metal blues, country, dance clubbin `as classic (Mozart).
    The other speaker that I love are the realistic mach one. It nice speaker. by cons has been a difference of sd amp 120RM it takes to enjoy. with a 75rms the sound is good. by cons with more power, they have the power they need!

Forum Regular
    hi! The sound dynamics is really impressive! You know the difference between (sound dynamics 1200 smt MKII) and the 1200 SMT)? i have smt 1200 mkII. The visual difference is smt mkll have a raised base! I do not have two thumbs down. think, I hope you find a pair!
    Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby View Post
    As I buff my aluminum tweeters to perfection, I am thinking about how they sound. Alot of words are used when describing these and similar styled, metal dome tweeters. Mostly with a negative implication,,,bright, fatiguing,etc. I willl agree that they are not to everyone's liking, and indeed can be bright and fatiguing.

Overall, the SD 1200 isn't a very transparent or accurate speaker. The best description I can find to sum them up is...sweet. It does well with stage imaging, but not amazing. The midrange is easily its weakest area, although present the sound lacks detail, particularily when having to process several instruments.. The lows are great with it's 12 " woofer. And of course, IMO, the highs shine most on this giant, vintage beast.

Why? Back to the impeccably shiny aluminum dome tweeter. On the Sound Dynamics 1200 SMT, the tweeters have continuous gain control, in the form of a knob located in the cable enclosure. It's a fantastic feature which eliminates most issues people have with this variety of tweeter. In the high range dept., these speakers have an incredible leg up. With the gain set correctly, and speakers placed in a Cardas Golden Cuboid, the highs are magnificent. Extremely detailed and present. Shimmery yet never shrill or annoying.

I would sum these tweeters up with one word. Realism. This is best exemplified with brass instruments. A trumpet for instance, is nothing short of breathtaking. It quite literally sounds as though the musician is blowing into the back end of the tweeter itself. Every breath involved in each note is audible, making an extremely intimate performance. Joe Henderson's Inner Urge is remarkable. His fingers can be heard pumping each note in addition to his breathing and the music itself.

Aside from detail, the tone provided is exceptional. Extremely high and harsh notes from a horn scream out of the speaker, yet never cross the threshold of piercing or distorted. I could go on and on.

Overall I am quite happy to live with these speakers. They are a great match for my Golden Tube, as intended. I will however, upgrade in the near future. For now, I will enjoy my metal dome tone.

Forum Regular
    Hi poppachubby! Do you know how many rms to have 1200 SMT?
    Do you know how is the frequency response? 20-20,000 Hz or 20-25,000 hz?
    I'm not sure if that is some writing on the web!

Thread Information