Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Oops I did it again...

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar

Oops I did it again...

...and I am having fun.

I became interested in a speaker. A speaker of a type in the past I would not consider. An inexpensive speaker that does not detract from my dream speaker budget. This speaker received 5 stars in What Hi-Fi. They described it as fun sounding yet refined and I have been in need of fun. I purchased the JBL Studio 530 stand mount speaker.

This is my first speaker with a horn loaded tweeter. The tweeter is crossed over to the mid/woofer at 1,500 Hz and the mid/woofer is 5 1/4 inches. The speaker is not a high efficiency design as it is rated at 86 db. The enclosure is slightly over 18 inches tall and about 8 1/2 inches wide and 9 inches deep. The cabinet is made from 3/4 inch mdf. There are no parallel sides but the sides are not curved. The speaker is bi-wireable which I am happy about so I can use my best cables. Due to the height of the speakers they look better on my 22 inch stands.

My initial response to the speakers is Wow. There is nothing to the sound that has bothered me about horn loaded tweeters in the past. Sweet and detailed and combined with the mid/woofer great imaging. I know horns can control dispersion and in my small room the lack of reflections adds clarity. As good as I thought the OML1's image the JBL's are better. The detail and layering are very good. Bass sounds as extended as the OML1's but not as deep as the MA RS6's. The JBL's bass is good and quick with a little more snap than the OML1's. The Studio 530 has good instrumental textures.

I have found a fun and musical speaker at a budget price. I will write more as I listen to the speakers. I am impressed by what $600 will buy with modern speaker design.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oops I did it again...-002-smaller.jpg   Oops I did it again...-jbl_studio5308_frontseitlich3.jpg   Oops I did it again...-jbl_studio5308_tieftoenerausgebaut3-woofer.jpg   Oops I did it again...-jbl_studio5308_frequenzweiche1-x-over.jpg  
    luvvintage likes this.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

They look like an interesting option. I'll look forward to your further impressions.

If you like the violin you would like these speakers. I have a cd of violin and piano where both instruments sound natural. The naturalness of the sound makes it easier to hear the music but also follow each instrument. The better focus and imaging creates more space and air between the instruments.

JBL suggests that the speakers be placed further apart and toed in more than I have done in the past. I must say it works. More complicated music holds up as well as small scale performances. The soundstage sounds larger but still has air and space around individual instruments.

I like the looks of the speaker with the speaker grills in place. Sadly it is not very transparent but JBL provides a solution. The top of the speaker grill is solid to complete the tweeter horn. Removing the grill would change the dispersion of the horn but a supplied solid panel can be used to complete the horn leaving the mid/woofer exposed. Even though the speaker is more attractive with the full grill the sound is better with the half grill.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    If you like the violin you would like these speakers. I have a cd of violin and piano where both instruments sound natural. The naturalness of the sound makes it easier to hear the music but also follow each instrument. The better focus and imaging creates more space and air between the instruments.

JBL suggests that the speakers be placed further apart and toed in more than I have done in the past. I must say it works. More complicated music holds up as well as small scale performances. The soundstage sounds larger but still has air and space around individual instruments.

I like the looks of the speaker with the speaker grills in place. Sadly it is not very transparent but JBL provides a solution. The top of the speaker grill is solid to complete the tweeter horn. Removing the grill would change the dispersion of the horn but a supplied solid panel can be used to complete the horn leaving the mid/woofer exposed. Even though the speaker is more attractive with the full grill the sound is better with the half grill.
    Presumably they will sound best with the horn exposed. Given the type of music I listen to that includes large orchestra and choral, I wouldn't accept anything less than maximum transparency.

I think it's correct to say that control-directionality speakers are generally intended to be aimed right at the listening position. As you mentioned, this also reduces first reflections which is something that always improves sound.

I think they are attractive with the horn exposed but no doubt some will object, (e.g. those with spouses who aren't sound enthusiasts).

The horn is never covered. The grill that conceals the mid/woofer is what caused a lack of transparency. The grill is on in the pictures. If you look closely you may be able to see the top of the grill is also the bottom of the horn. If you do not want the grill covering the mid/woofer you need to complete the horn using a half panel to maintain the geometry of the horn. It fits from the below the compression driver to above the mid/woofer. The mid/woofer is recessed in a shallow horn and I am curious if this time aligns the drivers?
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

I can't see the pictures. What's up with that?
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9 View Post
    I can't see the pictures. What's up with that?

I can only see them on my iPhone.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Huh! I don't understand what you mean.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9 View Post
    Huh! I don't understand what you mean.

I am unable to see the pictures on my computer but when I use my smart phone and go to AR I can see the pictures.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Suspended
    I see them using firefox, must be a smart fox

The amazing clarity of the Studio 530 is still amazing clarity and has not become brightness. The speakers are incredible with well recorded jazz. Large choral ensembles are wonderful to hear. I am still impressed by the sound of well recorded piano and violin.

Attack and decay sounds correct. Bass is beginning to open up nicely. That little woofer is working hard but the sound is well balanced. The enclosure is large for a driver that size and the low efficiency creates for better bass than one might expect.

For many this speaker would be an ear opener. A great speaker for $600 a pair that many could afford. A good speaker for someone who previously did not like horn loaded drivers. I doubt they will be going back. Are they perfect? Of course not but damned enjoyable in a small room with most types of music
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    I guess my question is, How much will the $600 that you put out for these speakers delay you in getting your perfect pair of speakers? We all know you JM and how changable you are when it comes to speakers. Personally I would buy a nice tube integrated and hook it up to your existing speakers and I think there is more than a fair chance that you would love the sound more than what you're hearing from the JBL's.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    I guess my question is, How much will the $600 that you put out for these speakers delay you in getting your perfect pair of speakers? We all know you JM and how changable you are when it comes to speakers. Personally I would buy a nice tube integrated and hook it up to your existing speakers and I think there is more than a fair chance that you would love the sound more than what you're hearing from the JBL's.

$600 spent is not a delay and I do have the option of sending them back. Having time to shop and travel to other cities to hear speakers multiple times is the delay. Spending $600 on a speaker because of a review is much easier than parting with $2,500 for a speaker I was only able to hear briefly. The JBL's are merely a listening experiment on a type of speaker I had never considered. At the $600 price point I also have thought about picking up a pair of small Maggies. I have not heard a planar speaker in too long a time.

As far as amps I am sticking with the Krell. I enjoy it's neutrality and lack of noise. I obsess enough over cables, speakers, tweaks and when you throw tubes into the mix I would not have time to listen to music.

Seriously I am tweaking much less these days since the Planar 2 has the new motor and speed control. The new Rocket 44 speaker cables are damn good cables and the best soundwise I have owned. I do find it interesting that I am enjoying a $600 pair of speakers wired with $400 speaker cables and driven by a $2,500 integrated amp.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    $600 spent is not a delay and I do have the option of sending them back. Having time to shop and travel to other cities to hear speakers multiple times is the delay. Spending $600 on a speaker because of a review is much easier than parting with $2,500 for a speaker I was only able to hear briefly. The JBL's are merely a listening experiment on a type of speaker I had never considered. At the $600 price point I also have thought about picking up a pair of small Maggies. I have not heard a planar speaker in too long a time.

As far as amps I am sticking with the Krell. I enjoy it's neutrality and lack of noise. I obsess enough over cables, speakers, tweaks and when you throw tubes into the mix I would not have time to listen to music.

Seriously I am tweaking much less these days since the Planar 2 has the new motor and speed control. The new Rocket 44 speaker cables are damn good cables and the best soundwise I have owned. I do find it interesting that I am enjoying a $600 pair of speakers wired with $400 speaker cables and driven by a $2,500 integrated amp.
    I wasn't suggesting replacing the Krell, I just thought by adding tubes to the mix you would give the OML1's and the RS6's a different sound that you might really find appealing. It would also be something that you could use down the road when you find your ultimate speaker.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

I am not sure how I could work tubes into my system since I am happy with everything in my system. I am listening to Lucinda Williams' "Blessed" cd and her voice is centered and focused in the soundstage. The horns really deliver the sounds of electric guitar as well as organ and keyboards. Lucinda is now singing softly with background singers and the band continued to play at the same level but her voice was never lost in the mix. Love the clarity.

The JBL Studio 530's offer a lot of performance for $600. Will they please long term? Well I guess we will have to wait and see. In the Studio 5 series there are towers with multiple bass drivers and the same great horn

I am feeling a little SVI with more expensive speakers in the closet and I am listening to some inexpensive JBL.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

I have always had trouble listening to the Hot Club Of Detroit's "night town". It always sounded like a bunch of musicians but not music. I thought here was a good test for the Stuido 530's so I dropped it into the player. Now I was hearing them make music. For the first time I was moving with the music. Yo Yo Ma's "Soul of the Tango" also has come to life. I think the side wall reflections were interfering with the timing of some music.

I had another thought as to why this inexpensive speaker might be sounding as good as it does. Correct me if I am wrong. The speakers efficiency is 86db and I always thought horn loaded drivers were very efficient. Of course in this case I am sure output was reduced by the crossover to match the woofer. My thinking is that the compression driver is working below what it is capable of and therefore the highs are so clean and clear. I would think the driver would be making much smaller excursions and therfore more clean accurate sound.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Charm Thai™
    Not my cup of tea bit just goes to show you never know what the ear will perk up to. Glad you are lovin the JBL's JM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHills44060 View Post
    Not my cup of tea bit just goes to show you never know what the ear will perk up to. Glad you are lovin the JBL's JM.

Yes I never thought I would be saying I am enjoying a horn loaded pair of JBL's. When I first saw them I liked the looks. Then I read the What Hi-Fi review and they received 5 stars. I thought wow they like a JBL and a horn loaded one at that. Between the looks and some specs I found interesting I ordered a pair. They are a fun listen that seems to be growing on me. Bass is surprisingly good for a 5 1/4 inch mid/woofer. This is a very good $600 speaker.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Today the Studio 530's are amazing me with solo piano works.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Here is a video I watched on Youtube after reading a review on another site.

The New JBL Studio 5 Loudspeakers. Advanced Technology with Classic JBL Sound - YouTube
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

I would not mind hearing a pair of the floorstanding models, I have used JBL pro sound speakers for DJ and sound reinforcement over the years but have only heard a hand full of their home speakers and have only liked a couple of them. To me their home speakers were always on the bright side but any company can change for the better when they come out with new products and their are horn speakers out there that do sound good.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

The Studio 530's are not bright but they are very coherent. I am so impressed by the high frequency detail. Detail and extension without brightness is a wonderful thing. I am also impressed with the overall balance between of the speakers. As good as the highs are the low frequencies from the small woofer are impressive. In my room they do a nice job with detail in the bass.

The bass in Rickie Lee Jones "Showbiz Kids" is very detailed, textured and fast. Vocals are incredible especially harmonies. This speaker in my room is better than the MoFi OML1's and MA RS6's. No they do not have as much bass as the RS6's but they integrate easier in my room.

If I had a bigger room I would send them back and buy the towers. Years ago I sold JBL, Bose and AR and I always preferred AR. I am surprised by how much I am liking a JBL and a horn loaded one. This is not the horn I would avoid like the plague.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Tonight I am listening to Orff's "Carmina Burana" and I am impressed. The chorus and choir along with the soloists are filling the room with their voices. When they sing softly their voices are as clear and easy to follow as when they are singing full out. The interplay among voices and orchestra is never lost. My other speakers would become congested and confused. Or once again I wonder if it was early sidewall reflections that robbed the other speakers of this level of clarity.

At this point I can not imagine sending these speakers back.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

I am working but I would rather be home listening to music. I have been listening to a lot of music that I own but did not enjoy. The timing and clarity of the Studio 530's are allowing me to enjoy music I had not before. Tonight I am going to give Bela Bartok another try. I am pleased with the ability to explore and appreciate music I had not appreciated before.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

I also have to say that in my room the Studio 530's image and have a better soundstage than my RS6's or OML1's.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information