Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Oops I did it again...

Suspended
    JM speaks the truth and keep trusting your ears. What JBL is doing with horn loaded speakers is a game changer, if they had the distribution Klipsch would be in trouble, except for the efficiency thing. I heard the LS series with different electronics than the Studio, I like the LS a bit more but not sure if it was the speakers or electronics. I was not a JBL fan until hearing these speakers mentioned, and in addition, the Array. The horns JBl are using are the real deal, smooth and refined nothing like we used to think of horns. And, as JM mentioned these are a steal at the price per performance ratio. I haven't heard the 530's but have heard the floorstander with two 6" drivers.
    JohnMichael likes this.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Mr. P yes they are far different from horns of the past. I was surprised by What Hi-Fi giving an American designed speaker, let alone a JBL with a horn loaded tweeter. I just had to try a pair. I am so glad I did.

In my small room the bass is balanced but I do think of sending them back for the towers. Of course I do remember the trouble making the RS6's work in the room. I also think some of the great detail is due to the small mid/woofer. I am sure that cone of the 5 1/4 inch woofer is very low in mass and quick. In some aspects the bass sounds better because I do not think I am having any room interference.

I never thought a $600 pair of speakers wired with $400 speaker wires to a $2,500 int. amp could sound incredible. Between the design of the speakers and they being a good match to my room is making some beautiful music.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

One aspect of the speakers that I have failed to mention is that they are good with both attack and decay. They are a nice mid point between the OML1's and RS6's.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

I was listening to an sacd of Joshua Bell last night. As I was listening the sound of his violin the sound was so natural. Other violinists fared as well. I hear the violin as it is being played rather warm and resonant, sweet and delicate or aggressive depending on the music. The Studio 530's never make the violin sound strident unlike the metal dome tweeter in the RS6's.

I am enjoying all my music with these speakers. I just need more time to listen to them. I am confident they are broken in now and sounding very good. What a great budget speaker for a small room. Actually a good speaker regardless of budget.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Just getting caught back up on some threads now that this site's new look has got my attention, so sorry JM for the late response.

Those speakers look awesome!

I know JBL does not always get the respect of the audiophile community but they have had some good speakers in there line-ups through the years and it sounds like you found a pair. Congrats again!

Quote Originally Posted by thekid View Post
    Just getting caught back up on some threads now that this site's new look has got my attention, so sorry JM for the late response.

Those speakers look awesome!

I know JBL does not always get the respect of the audiophile community but they have had some good speakers in there line-ups through the years and it sounds like you found a pair. Congrats again!

Thanks the speakers sound better than they look. I am not sure what aspect of the design makes them so succesful in my room but something is working well.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

As impressed as I am by the Studio 530's when I purchased them for $599 a pair I am even happier that they are now selling for $479 a pair. I am also pleased with Crutchfield who is crediting my account for $120. These are absolutely killer speakers for $479 a pair. The tower models have also been reduced in price.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Congrats on the new speakers...especially when they send you money back.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    Congrats on the new speakers...especially when they send you money back.

I ordered them out of curiosity and never expected to like them so much. Now I need to sell the Monitor Audio RS6's and the Mobile Fidelity OML1's. They work so well in my room and give me all that I was looking for in a pair of speakers.

I budgeted $2,500 for a pair of speakers but now have no interest in shopping since I would rather be home listening. They do not do loud or very low well but in the range I listen they are just right. The RS6's could easily drown out the neighbors by playing the Black Eyed Peas and the Studio 530's are heard but they compress and will not shake the walls. Oh but they do music so well.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

as long as you are happy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Yes I am very happy with the Studio 530's. I was listening to Beethoven's 9th and it sounded so good. That little 5 1/4 driver is pretty amazing. Of course this is my first speaker with no parallel surfaces with the top angled down and the sides angle in towards the back of the enclosure. The cabinets use 3/4 inch thick mdf and bracing but sadly no real wood veneer. I guess they had to reduce costs somewhere.

I will still shop for speakers when time permits
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

I began to notice that the 530's could use a little more sparkle. Using the Micropurls the upper range was a little dry. I pulled out the DNM Reson IC's and hooked them up. All the benefits of the speakers I had posted with more open high frequencies were on hand.

The Resons were okay with the Mobile Fidelity OML1's but not good with the RS6's. They seem to be a good match with the JBL's. Back to a night of Dwight Yoakam Live.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Suspended
    Wow, JM, I would have never guessed you a Dwight fan. I guess we all have to deal with our inner honky tonk man occasionally .

I enjoy a little twang and early country music. I have attended many Blue Grass festivals in my day. Growing up I watched Hee Haw and the Grand Ole Opry. I loved Minnie Pearl and the tag hanging from her hat. Of course I watched Lawrence Welk, Andy Williams, Jackie Gleeson and any show with music or dancing. Oh and the Porter Wagoner show with Dolly Parton. As I grew older there was the Ed Sullivan show. The Beatles, Janis Joplin and many others. If a show had music I watched it.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

I am glad I tried the DNM Reson IC's to connect the SA 8001 to the Krell S-300i. The slight increase in treble openess kicks the performance up a notch. Oh and one thing the speakers have returned to their higher price.

Tonight I am listening to Bernstein: The Best Of All Possible Worlds. This is a cd I did not enjoy when it first arrived but with the Studio 530's I am enjoying the music. Bernstein's conducting Copland's "Fanfare For The Common Man" is incredible. I must say the Studio series does a fine job of making sense out of the music
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Well the switch to the DNM Reson's was not an improvement after all. Yes it gave more extension in the highs but what it gave to the highs it took from the lows. The Studio 530's make it easier to decide which cable is better.

Not only was the sound tilted up male vocals were sounding thin. The Micropurls are a much better match in my system. Now the overall balance is more to my liking.

I am still enjoying these speakers. I am listening to a wider range of genres and listening more often. One of the traits that first impressed me was the solid imaging and it is still the best imaging I have had in my room.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Suspended
    JM, do you still have your Anticables? If so, you should give them a try. I went with AC's Reference line and I love them, I prefer them over my Siltech or some very expensive Clarus I've tried.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    I enjoy a little twang and early country music. I have attended many Blue Grass festivals in my day. Growing up I watched Hee Haw and the Grand Ole Opry. I loved Minnie Pearl and the tag hanging from her hat. Of course I watched Lawrence Welk, Andy Williams, Jackie Gleeson and any show with music or dancing. Oh and the Porter Wagoner show with Dolly Parton. As I grew older there was the Ed Sullivan show. The Beatles, Janis Joplin and many others. If a show had music I watched it.
    Dang JM...how old are you??? In your 60's?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    Well the switch to the DNM Reson's was not an improvement after all. Yes it gave more extension in the highs but what it gave to the highs it took from the lows. The Studio 530's make it easier to decide which cable is better.

Not only was the sound tilted up male vocals were sounding thin. The Micropurls are a much better match in my system. Now the overall balance is more to my liking.

I am still enjoying these speakers. I am listening to a wider range of genres and listening more often. One of the traits that first impressed me was the solid imaging and it is still the best imaging I have had in my room.

JM....my dealer has the JBL Studio 570's. He is running them with in a system with the new Onkyo Reference separates, and using all Clarus cables...and the system sounds fantastic, He let me borrow the a set of Clarus Aqua inner connects and the power cord. These are fantastic cables.....you may want to look into them. Clarus Audophile Collection Introduction

Also JM...on another note....I was suppose to let you borrow that Grado Phono amp, but it malfunctioned on me and damaged my tweeters. Lucky the folks at Canton replaced the tweeter free of charge and sent me new ones from Germany.....and my dealer let me return the Grado and he gave me the new Creek OBH 15 MK 2. Its been out less than a year and I pick it up Thursday....man the ceramic tweeters in the Cantons are very clear....Me and Peabody had a nice listen to them last Sunday....we also listened to the Monitor Audio GX 100's GX 300's JBL Studio 570's and Revel Salon 2's....and the thought of the Cantons being out of place with the Revels never crossed my mind at all.....great stand mount speaker.....Makes me wonder what the Floor model Canton Vento 870's can do.....That may very well be my next speaker down the road.
    Last edited by frenchmon; 12-19-2012 at 05:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    JM, do you still have your Anticables? If so, you should give them a try. I went with AC's Reference line and I love them, I prefer them over my Siltech or some very expensive Clarus I've tried.
    I do still have the AC's and you are right they are good and I do need to try them with the JBL's.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Dang JM...how old are you??? In your 60's?

Hope to be one day. I am 56 but liked music from an early age. My father would sing "You Are My Sunshine". Another early song went "I'm looking over a four leaf clover that I overlooked before". An early love of music along with an early realization that I have no talent.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Frenchmon I would like to hear the Studio 570's. I do find the balance of the 530's to be great in my room. The 570's might earn me more complaints from the college princesses who live below.

This morning I was listening to Yo Yo Ma's "Soul Of The Tango". What achingly beautiful music. What a good recording. Last night I listened to the musical "In The Heights" which is a favorite but the JBL's do not let me forget it is not the best recording. None of my music is unlistenable but you are aware of compromises.

Sorry the Grado did not work out long term but I will enjoy reading about the Creek. The cables look interesting. I will read more when I am in front of my computer. I will not be buying anything new until next year since my dog thought I needed a new watch for Christmas and he borrowed the money from me. He is so thoughtful.

JM....my dealer has the JBL Studio 570's. He is running them with in a system with the new Onkyo Reference separates, and using all Clarus cables...and the system sounds fantastic, He let me borrow the a set of Clarus Aqua inner connects and the power cord. These are fantastic cables.....you may want to look into them. Clarus Audophile Collection Introduction

Also JM...on another note....I was suppose to let you borrow that Grado Phono amp, but it malfunctioned on me and damaged my tweeters. Lucky the folks at Canton replaced the tweeter free of charge and sent me new ones from Germany.....and my dealer let me return the Grado and he gave me the new Creek OBH 15 MK 2. Its been out less than a year and I pick it up Thursday....man the ceramic tweeters in the Cantons are very clear....Me and Peabody had a nice listen to them last Sunday....we also listened to the Monitor Audio GX 100's GX 300's JBL Studio 570's and Revel Salon 2's....and the thought of the Cantons being out of place with the Revels never crossed my mind at all.....great stand mount speaker.....Makes me wonder what the Floor model Canton Vento 870's can do.....That may very well be my next speaker down the road.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Suspended
    LOL, let's hope the dog has good taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    LOL, let's hope the dog has good taste.

He did an excellent job shopping.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oops I did it again...-3600015w_459x715_1-movado.jpg  
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Dang JM! Thats a very nice watch! Think you pet can send me one? Thanks for mentioning th eYo Yo Ma CD...I will have to get that one.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information