Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Oops I did it again...

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    JM, do you still have your Anticables? If so, you should give them a try. I went with AC's Reference line and I love them, I prefer them over my Siltech or some very expensive Clarus I've tried.

Mr. Peabody I now have the AntiCables in place. Since I am bi-wiring that extra copper over the Rockets bi-wire is filling out the low end. I like them better with the JBL's than I did with the RS6's. I am looking forward to more music and how they fair in the long term. I have always liked them and thought they were great value for the money.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

I had not listened to "Adagio d'Albinoni" in a few weeks so I thought I would check it out. The Studio 530's wired with the AntiCables in bi-wire configuration and driven by the Krell S-300i was a surprise. The recording sounded good previously with other cables but the organ was a little recessed. The double bass produced by the 5.25 inch mid/woofer was more like the cello. The AntiCables moved the organ forward in the mix and I was now hearing the double bass. What a beautiful recording. I am now getting my $50 worth of entertainement from the recording. It is interesting which combination of equipment will move the bar up higher.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Suspended
    It is, interesting how different gear and cables seem to have synergy, or not. For me, once I got used to the clarity of the AC's I am not happy with other cables any more.
    harley .guy07 likes this.

Forum Regular
    JM, I just wanted to say that in part because of your reviews, and in part because I too noticed the unusual design choices made by Mister Greg Timbers when these came out... I just took delivery of my 530's on Friday. My system is hugely more modest than yours, but I like it and its within my budget. I had budgeted $1000 for new speakers in my 2 channel system. For the last several months I looked at every conceivable option and although there are plenty of amazing speakers in this price range, none of them peaked my interest like these.

At any rate, thank you for providing a first hand account of an enthusiast who dared to be an early adopter. In the past JBL has done just as much to hurt their home audio reputation (see previous studio series and everything they put out in the 90s) as they have done in ultra-high end audio (Array, K2, some other mountain in Nepal). It took someone not concerned with JBL's "Just Basically Loud" reputation to have the guts to check out something that contradicts conventional opinions. Kudos!
    JohnMichael likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Thriftstore Cowboy View Post
    JM, I just wanted to say that in part because of your reviews, and in part because I too noticed the unusual design choices made by Mister Greg Timbers when these came out... I just took delivery of my 530's on Friday. My system is hugely more modest than yours, but I like it and its within my budget. I had budgeted $1000 for new speakers in my 2 channel system. For the last several months I looked at every conceivable option and although there are plenty of amazing speakers in this price range, none of them peaked my interest like these.

At any rate, thank you for providing a first hand account of an enthusiast who dared to be an early adopter. In the past JBL has done just as much to hurt their home audio reputation (see previous studio series and everything they put out in the 90s) as they have done in ultra-high end audio (Array, K2, some other mountain in Nepal). It took someone not concerned with JBL's "Just Basically Loud" reputation to have the guts to check out something that contradicts conventional opinions. Kudos!

I am glad you are enjoying them as much as I am. Lately I was switching my other speakers in and out of the system. They all had their benefits but for midrange purity, high frequency detail and the most tuneful bass if not the deepest the JBL's win. My tower speakers had deeper bass and greater musical scale and the other standmount speakers had a warmer sound that could limit detail. The JBL's might be a little lacking in dynamics but whenever the midrange is right you have music.

Oh and welcome to AR.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Forum Regular
    Thank you! And you're right, there are lots of options for making great sounding, highly entertaining music in the home, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. Have fun enjoying the tunes!

Lucky me, I got to go to Greg Timbers' house a couple of times, the last time to buy some speakers he built for himself that have been replaced by the next big thing. He let me listen to his new creations, which were astounding and better than what I bought, naturally, though what I got is better than anything I could buy out of the current JBL catalog.

Anyway, leaving his place there were some "new" speakers in his secondary listening room. When I inquired what they were, he said they were Studio 570s which "sound really good, better than they have any right to." He's rightfully proud of the Studio 530, 570, 580, and 590. He'd be really happy to hear how much you're enjoying them.

Thanks for highlighting your experiences
    I like sulung tang.

Quote Originally Posted by filecat13 View Post
    Lucky me, I got to go to Greg Timbers' house a couple of times, the last time to buy some speakers he built for himself that have been replaced by the next big thing. He let me listen to his new creations, which were astounding and better than what I bought, naturally, though what I got is better than anything I could buy out of the current JBL catalog.

Anyway, leaving his place there were some "new" speakers in his secondary listening room. When I inquired what they were, he said they were Studio 570s which "sound really good, better than they have any right to." He's rightfully proud of the Studio 530, 570, 580, and 590. He'd be really happy to hear how much you're enjoying them.

Thanks for highlighting your experiences

If you get the chance tell him I said thanks. I have been thinking about the 570's since I think they would work well in my smaller room. If he is impressed with them I am sure I would be pleased. I am thinking the Studio 5 Series will catch fire.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Sure will.
    I like sulung tang.

Listening to the Cowboy Junkies "Cause Cheap Is How I Feel" I realized how these speakers have opened up. In the past I had considered the tweeters to be accurate but on the dry side. As I have been listening the compression drivers had been breaking in right in front of me. Either I am a slow listener or these speakers have taken so long to bloom.

They certainly sounded good out of the box but more in an analytical way. They still have good detail and imaging but they are more musical. Gordon Lightfoot is singing now and his songs are soothing and comforting. Detail and soul. I knew I was liking these speakers more but until tonight it had not dawned on me why. Should I be enjoying speakers so much that is this inexpensive?
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    John, I'm not sure if you should. We see people come on the forum and talk about their great sounding Infinity, Polk, Bose and the likes and I'm sure most of us just figure that they haven't really heard what a hi-end sound system can do for your music appreciation. In your case, that's not the way it is. You've been around long enough and I'm sure you've heard your share of great sounding systems. I think you may just be settling for what you have and enjoying it, the some way I do when I'm in the car listening to the symphony channel on XM Radio. It sounds good at the time and you just sort of go with it. You might not know what you're missing until you get a different pair of speakers in and set them up next to your JBL's. Just my thoughts.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

I am always speaking in context to price and how they fair with other speakers I own. Oh yes I have heard wonderful speakers and many way out of my price range. There are many speakers I would like to hear that are not available in an hours drive from my home. Another aspect of the speakers is they work well in my room. An average speaker that works well in a room in my opinion can sound better that a top quality tower with good bass that would have peaks and cancellations in my room.

I would love to hear a pair of Magico's, the newer Wilson's and newer Vandersteen's. In my budget I still want to hear the Nola Boxers, KEF LS50 and a Totem model. Oh and the Pro Ac Tablette is on my short list. I also plan on listeneing to the Focal 807's that has been making someone very happy on another site.

Sadly my job keeps me very busy and I rarely have two days off in a row. I do hope to do some listening this summer. If you get a chance give the Studio 5 series a listen as you might be surprised.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Forum Regular
    First, I think cost is sometimes a bit arbitrary. For the most part in audio, you typically get better performance when you spend more. However, these speakers are more popular in Europe and Japan where they cost nearly twice as much and compete with a different level of speaker than they do here. Personally, I haven't found a speaker under a grand that I enjoy more than these. They create such a rich, full-bodied sound stage and the HF driver sounds refined but with great dynamics that never compresses, even with the most complex musical passages. Plus, they straight up boogie. This morning I was listening to some old Thievery Corporation and it was so involving that I really hated to leave. There are a lot of great speaker options available, but there is no shame in enjoying these special creatures.
    JohnMichael likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Thriftstore Cowboy View Post
    First, I think cost is sometimes a bit arbitrary. For the most part in audio, you typically get better performance when you spend more. However, these speakers are more popular in Europe and Japan where they cost nearly twice as much and compete with a different level of speaker than they do here. Personally, I haven't found a speaker under a grand that I enjoy more than these. They create such a rich, full-bodied sound stage and the HF driver sounds refined but with great dynamics that never compresses, even with the most complex musical passages. Plus, they straight up boogie. This morning I was listening to some old Thievery Corporation and it was so involving that I really hated to leave. There are a lot of great speaker options available, but there is no shame in enjoying these special creatures.

I think much of the affordability of the speaker is due to it being built in China. If it was still made in this country the price tag would be higher. A higher price tag might make some happier.

I agree with your description of the sound. The horn loaded compression driver is pretty special without any of the colorations I have heard from some horns. I was never a big JBL fan but this speaker is a different animal. Someone looking for a pair of speakers in this price range should surely listen to these. As you mention they are enjoyable and I find myself sitting and listening instead of just having background music playing.

When I find a speaker that beats these on many counts I am sure they will be quite expensive.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    I am always speaking in context to price and how they fair with other speakers I own. Oh yes I have heard wonderful speakers and many way out of my price range. There are many speakers I would like to hear that are not available in an hours drive from my home. Another aspect of the speakers is they work well in my room. An average speaker that works well in a room in my opinion can sound better that a top quality tower with good bass that would have peaks and cancellations in my room.

I would love to hear a pair of Magico's, the newer Wilson's and newer Vandersteen's. In my budget I still want to hear the Nola Boxers, KEF LS50 and a Totem model. Oh and the Pro Ac Tablette is on my short list. I also plan on listeneing to the Focal 807's that has been making someone very happy on another site.

Sadly my job keeps me very busy and I rarely have two days off in a row. I do hope to do some listening this summer. If you get a chance give the Studio 5 series a listen as you might be surprised.
    The main trouble with the JBL's is the only place that carries them is Best Buy.
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    The main trouble with the JBL's is the only place that carries them is Best Buy.

My local BB does not carry them. When I learned of them Crutchfield and JBL was the only place I could order them at the time. I do fully understand how the reputation of a store can elevate or reduce thoughts of a product. At one point I think I felt a little SVI buying some moderately priced JBL's but they are a different animal from all the budget titanium tweeter/quasi horn loaded speakers.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Last night I decided to pull out the OML 1's to give a quick listen. I have been living with the JBL's and thought a comparison might be needed. A young couple down the hall stopped by and I asked for their impression of the OML 1's. I thought they sounded bright in contrast to the JBL's. They listened and he said they were crisp. So after they left I brought the JBL's out and back on the stands. Oh yeah the music is back.

I can understand why Mo Fi used the OML 1's as mastering speakers. I think they are more high fidelity and the JBL's are more about the music than analysis. My neighbor wants to listen to some vinyl so I will look forward to his reaction to the Studio 530's.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

I would never think the OML-1's would sound bright compared to the 530's. We are talking silk doom tweeter vs titanium tweeter right? You may just prefer the more detailed sound of the metal tweeters. My salesguy at my hifi shop does. He's not crazy about Sonus Faber and Vienna Acoustics that he sells and much prefers Paradigm. I'm running into more people that prefer solid state amps to tubes and I didn't see that coming.
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

Suspended
    Vienna Acoustics is toward the bottom of my speaker list along with Vandersteen. I don't like Sonus Faber either but they are more acceptable, some where around B&W on my list. I like Paradigm pretty well but I haven't heard many amps capable to drive the bass in them, odd since they are efficient but something in their curve requires some current.

The JBL like JM has may be titanium but it's smooth, the horns JBL are using in some of their speakers are some of the best I've heard and definitely the best I've heard in home speakers, very refined. I really liked the LS series too. The Array are awesome but that goes without saying. IMO the JBL Monitor are smoother highs than the Paradigm Studio. Can't say about the Signature, haven't heard them.

I would never think the OML-1's would sound bright compared to the 530's. We are talking silk doom tweeter vs titanium tweeter right? You may just prefer the more detailed sound of the metal tweeters. My salesguy at my hifi shop does. He's not crazy about Sonus Faber and Vienna Acoustics that he sells and much prefers Paradigm. I'm running into more people that prefer solid state amps to tubes and I didn't see that coming.

The JBL Studio 530's do not use titanium. They are using a true compression driver. My point was that these are not the budget JBL speakers of the past that used the bright titanium driver. This speaker's high frequency driver operates down to 1,500 Hz. The woofer is slightly recessed and judging by performance they are time aligned. The enclosure panels ar 3/4 inches thick with no parallel sides and well braced. The woofer has a cast aluminum frame and not pressed steel. This speaker is not well known yet but it is very good sounding. You might want to google it because I think you are picturing other JBL's of the past.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

The 1 inch diaphragm and surround material is made from Teonex. It is reported to have better vocal articulation and I can attest to that statement.

I would like to thank Mr. P and Thriftstore Cowboy for their comments based on their actually listening to the speakers. Judging a product unheard has little value.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

I was just going by what the salesman at Best Buy said. He said it was a compression driver similar to what is used in Klipsch, which he had to play for me also. Not the best environment to listen to speakers. Neither speaker was to my liking, but that could be attributed to lots of things like associated equipment and room acoustics.
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

I was just going by what the salesman at Best Buy said. He said it was a compression driver similar to what is used in Klipsch, which he had to play for me also. Not the best environment to listen to speakers. Neither speaker was to my liking, but that could be attributed to lots of things like associated equipment and room acoustics.

Best Buy does not carry the Studio 5 Series. They also do not sound anything like Klipsch. BB carries one JBL bookshelf that is a different Studio series but not in the league of the Studio 5 series. You might want to try listeneing to them if you ever actually are in a store that carries them.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Again the Best Buy saleman must have shown me any pair of JBL's that he had on the floor. He figured if I like them I'd buy them. That's the trouble, nobody carries them. The HiFi stores say they can't sell them because they're not hi end. They used to sell Bose a while back and they just didn't move. I don't have a Crutchfield around here. Even the HiFi magazines don't review them.
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

What Hi Fi reviewed them and gave them 5 stars. Many products never get reviewed. So you have never heard them or read about them but you are able to disparage them. I think that is what is wrong about audio forums. Baseless opinions.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information