Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Oops I did it again...

Quote Originally Posted by tom1967 View Post
    Are giving smaller 130s away at New Egg at $129/pr........are they also good?
    They are nice little speakers, but nowhere near the quality of the Studio 530s.

The Studio 1 Series models have CMMD tweeters in a bi-radial waveguide. This gives them fairly broad dispersion and a less precise, slightly "raspy" MR and HF response compared to the Studio 5 Series. If you never heard the Studio 5 Series, you wouldn't appreciate the distinction, but if you heard both, you get it right away.

The Studio 1 models have a weird design, IMO, but they perform very well despite the looks; nonetheless, the engineering and design in the Studio 1 models is somewhat outdated, and they're definitely entry level models.

The Studio 5 models are far more representative of JBL's forward-looking "all horns all the time" philosophy, which is now in all of its top end and midrange models. They cost more, and they're worth every penny and then some.

OTOH, if I only had a couple hundred bucks to spend long-term on some speakers and wanted excellent bang for the buck, it'd be hard to go wrong with Studio 130s. If I was just going to spend a couple hundred bucks on impulse for a pair of speakers knowing I'd be upgrading in a year or so, I'd save my money.
    JohnMichael likes this.
    I like sulung tang.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I have really been enjoying my recordings of the Emerson Quartet. The Studio 530's do such a great job with stringed instruments. I am so glad I took a chance on my JBL's.

I recently checked settings on my turntable and the Studio 530's are revealing of changes to tracking force, antiskating and choice of platters.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Crutchfield has low stock and showing the price at $479.20 a pair.

http://www.jbl.com/images/media/STUDIO530_PI_EN.pdf
    Last edited by JohnMichael; 04-23-2013 at 05:37 PM.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    Crutchfield has low stock and showing the price at $479.20 a pair.
    That's not bad considering this (and it's for 1 speaker):

JBL Studio 530 Home Audio 5 1 4" Bookshelf Speaker 050036312776 | eBay

For posterity:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oops I did it again...-screen-shot-2013-04-24-3.00.29-pm.jpg  
    I like sulung tang.

I was watching Glee last night, yes I watch Glee, and one of the characters sang REM's "Everybody Hurts". As soon as the recording was over I had to pull out the REM disc with that sing. I am still surprised when I play a cd through the Studio 530's for the first time. REM never sounded so good. The lack of sidewall reflections must be the reason the band sounds so coherent. The midrange clarity really shows off Michael's vocals. It is very easy to form a mental image of sitting in the center of a club watching and hearing them.

This is a great speaker for a tough room. The 530's are also a great bargain.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Nice to see you are having fun and enjoying the 530's!

When playing vinyl, do they let you know when you have a bad recording like not enough bass or mids or to much treble and so forth? Also I sware it seems like some times I can hear them messing with the sound board during some recordings.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    Nice to see you are having fun and enjoying the 530's!

When playing vinyl, do they let you know when you have a bad recording like not enough bass or mids or to much treble and so forth? Also I sware it seems like some times I can hear them messing with the sound board during some recordings.

I have to admit that since I added the Michael Lim top and bottom braces I have only been listening to my better records. Oh and the Grado Statement Sonata is more lush than analytical.

I can say they reveal the difference between cd's quite readily. As I have said before I would like to know if the speakers were time aligned? The mid/woofer is recessed and the voice coil of the mid/woofer looks like it would be in the same plane as the compression driver. Some cd's sound better and some worse but none are unlistenable. I can sometimes hear when the vocalist is singing in a booth.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Forum Regular
    I once read that cohesiveness is what makes a speaker "musical" and the 530's are one of the most cohesive speakers I've listened to. That usually comes from good time alignment. What they may lack in ultimate bass weight and authority they more than make up for in timing and speed. I think that's one trait that makes listening to them so absorbing. Well, the massive dynamics and holographic soundstage certainly don't hurt either
    JohnMichael likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Thriftstore Cowboy View Post
    I once read that cohesiveness is what makes a speaker "musical" and the 530's are one of the most cohesive speakers I've listened to. That usually comes from good time alignment. What they may lack in ultimate bass weight and authority they more than make up for in timing and speed. I think that's one trait that makes listening to them so absorbing. Well, the massive dynamics and holographic soundstage certainly don't hurt either

Yes they are amazing speakers for the money. The same speaker with a different name and a higher price would be getting raves in the press. I think timing is what I noticed first. Complex music is easier to enjoy when the band is in time with each other.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

The princesses moved out yesterday. To celebrate the young couple from down the hall visited and we drank wine and played some tunes. He was impressed with vinyl playback in my system. He said "records are sounding like cd's but better". What he seemed to mean by that was the absence of surface noise and I think the speed stability also is impressive. Of course the Michael Lim braces further reduced mechanical noise. I think I am pleased with sounds like cd's but better.

The Studio 530's kept us entertained. It was nice hearing them at a reasonable volume. Who knew they could play loudly? Actuall when the girls were gone for holidays I did crank them. The Krell does a nice job driving them. Who knows but if I get my neighbor interested maybe I can sell some equipment. It would be nice to turn him into an audiophile and have an audio bud down the hall. I also like his girlfriend and they just rescued a dog. Oh and they are educated and can converse on a number of issues.

Looking forward to hearing some music tonight.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    It's nice to have neighbors that have similar interests and maybe a future audio enthusist. I usually have to go to the local HiFi shop to talk audio. Are the princesses gone for good, or is that too much to ask for?
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    It's nice to have neighbors that have similar interests and maybe a future audio enthusist. I usually have to go to the local HiFi shop to talk audio. Are the princesses gone for good, or is that too much to ask for?

Yes the princesses are back to their castles for the summer. I pity the men that marry them. Their parents did not do them any favors. At least staff from the rental office do not have to make as many trips to my building to listen if the music is too loud. I will miss all the slamming of doors and the tv at full volume.

I forgot to mention my neighbor has played in a band. I will share audio knowledge and I am sure he can introduce me to new music. I introduced him to Traffic last night and he liked the music. The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys!
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

He must be young if he hasn't heard of Traffic. When I bought my turntable the owner threw in a 200 gram LP of John Barlycorn. It's nice to see the next generation appreciating music that is not on an Ipod with a wire running up to the ears.

I was going to ask when the princesses graduate, but they may be majoring in "Finding a Rich Husband"
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post

I was going to ask when the princesses graduate, but they may be majoring in "Finding a Rich Husband"

We have an Ohio State branch in town where students can do their first two years before they hit the massive main campus. Since there is little in the way of student dorms they move into apartments in town. I do know their apartment has been rented already so they will not be back
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

That is good news
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

I still find myself making short lists of interesting speakers. I sit at work and look at magazines. When I am home since I have toe-in perfect and discovered the IC's problem I really like these Studio 530's. I am ready to relax and enjoy them.

Now the other speakers will be up for sale. The Monitor Audio RS6's and Ascend CBM 170SE will be the first to go. I may keep the MoFi OML1's but who knows.

I am confident that these speakers sound as good as they do. I received good advice to trust my ears. They may not have audiophile panache but they are singing to me.
    Thriftstore Cowboy likes this.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Had a fun night last night. A little wine, Lucinda Williams "Live @ The Filmore" and a fair amount of volume. What a great live set. I have not played it since all the complaints started rolling in and the music does encourage more volume. The soundstage was large and I easily heard the different guitars and pedal effects. I sat in my chair for the entire concert. Well I did make a few trips to the concession stand for wine refills.

Odd that a speaker keeps me in my seat for such a long time. Another plus is low levels of listener fatigue. My dog would leave the room when the RS6's were in the system but he sits with me now that the Studio 530's are in the system. My dog and I are in agreement over the JBL's.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    JM, do you still have your Anticables? If so, you should give them a try. I went with AC's Reference line and I love them, I prefer them over my Siltech or some very expensive Clarus I've tried.

Mr. P you are so correct about the AntiCables. Since the hard drive died in my computer I grabbed the AC's to hear how they sound with the Studio 530's. Better than the more expensive AQ Rocket44's. I am glad you are enjoying the AC's and I am glad your comments made me want to give them a listen.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Suspended
    Good deal. Some cables I've tried do some things different but I keep gravitating back to the pristine presentation of the AC's.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    Mr. P you are so correct about the AntiCables. Since the hard drive died in my computer I grabbed the AC's to hear how they sound with the Studio 530's. Better than the more expensive AQ Rocket44's. I am glad you are enjoying the AC's and I am glad your comments made me want to give them a listen.

Peabody....did you sell the Siltech?
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Suspended
    No, I am using the IC's in the 2nd system and the speaker cables in the girl's system. Might as well use the stuff, no one wants to pay you a fair price. I've been trying to sell some pieces on Audiogon and only people who answer are those who ask you to give it away.

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    Peabody....did you sell the Siltech?

I am using the AntiCables bi-wired. Any complaints of dryness or lack of sparkle in the highs has been remedied. I liked the Rocket's with the OML1's but they held back the Studio 530's. Who knew that my budget speakers would sound so good with less expensive cables?

I do not think music in my room has ever sounded this good. The Marant SA8001 and the modded Rega are great sources. The Krell S-300i is neutral to the point of being difficult to describe. The Studio 530's are one of those rare designs that sound better than could be imagined. Greg Timbers is a genius.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Charm Thai™
    Nice. Never realized you had a SA8001.

Suspended
    It's nice to have your system to where you can really enjoy listening.

You never quite get the full Krell effect until using a Krell disc player connected via the XLR. The matched pair provide transient response and control I've not heard achieved separately. Since our local shop quit carrying Krell I haven't kept up with what's new, I wonder if they are offering the stand alone DAC's. Any one who isn't by now is missing the boat from what I hear..

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    It's nice to have your system to where you can really enjoy listening.

You never quite get the full Krell effect until using a Krell disc player connected via the XLR. The matched pair provide transient response and control I've not heard achieved separately. Since our local shop quit carrying Krell I haven't kept up with what's new, I wonder if they are offering the stand alone DAC's. Any one who isn't by now is missing the boat from what I hear..

I would have a hard time spending $2,500 on a cd player that does not play SACD's. The combo might be wonderful until I want to play a disc it will not.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread Information