Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Suspended

Kid, Klipsch owners, biamping etc.

I have a second system in my workout room and that's where my Heresy III are. I finally got around to playing with biamping, here's the set up and result, it's lethal. Kid you have to biamp your Heresys, you have enough amps to do it and I am amazed at the improvement. My advice for any other Klipsch owner as well, at least try it.

I am using the Emotiva USP-1 & ERC-1, from the sub out I have an Emo Ultra 12 crossed at about 60 Hz, from the full range outputs I have a Bryston 3b-st to the Heresy 12's and from the high pass outputs I have a Parasound hca-750 to the mid & high horns. The 750's gain is backed off a bit from full so the horns are better balanced with the 12" driver. This set up is a monster with serious, dangerous, SPL that hits hard and remains clear.

I don't know if every speaker made to biamp can be improved on by doing so but my Heresy's sure did. It really helped to get better balance between the horns and woofer but I also seem to have some overall improvement in clarity. The USP-1 is ideal for this with all the preamp outputs, it has to be an improvement over using "Y" adaptors, each amp gets full signal strength with no splitting.

Suspended
    Just as a side note, I used Linn RCA's from preamp to each power amp, Bluejeans from CDP to pre, Tara Labs speaker cables to horns and Transparent speaker cables to the woofers. This is sounding good as is, the only thing I will try is to see if a set of Audio Note RCA's are an improvement over the Bluejeans. I'm just using what I have around.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I have always heard that true biamping requires an external crossover. Preamp to crossover and the highs to one amp and the lows to the other amp. Using Y adaptors the full siganl is going to the tweeter and the full signal is going to the woofers. so the benefit of biamping is still dependant on the internal crossover of the speaker.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Suspended
    True biamping would require an external crossover upstream of amplification but that would require going into the speaker and eliminating, or totally bypassing, the internal crossover. I didn't want to take it that far and not many I know do. I'm not sure how different a typical crossover is from one that is in a speaker that allows biamping. Since the straps between sets of terminals have to be removed for biamping I suspect the woofers and horns have there own separate filters. The provided method by manufacturers isn't optimum but still allowed for improvement for these speakers and some custom adjusting of the sound.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Bi-amping a speaker that is already uber efficient is a waste of money and time.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Suspended
    Whether to biamp has nothing to do with the efficiency of a speaker both high and low efficiency speakers come with the option. The type of biamping JM was referring to is mostly in the Pro realm and most of those are high efficiency. It was not a waste of money as I already had the equipment nor a waste of time as the result was quite good, and as such it still wouldn't have been a waste if I had spent more money.

Biamping any speaker can produce good results if done correctly with the right quality equipment and is not a waste of time. Yes a more efficient speaker will generally get more than loud enough for almost anyone with a single amp setup but biamping gives the amps room to breath and to do their thing with ease which can produce a more ease of presentation and let the equipment run at its best without as much heat build up and such.. And as Mr Peabody said he was able to turn the horns down in order to balance things out so in his case it helped in more that one way.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Mr. P

Sorry I have been away a bit and just noticed your post.
    I have 2 sets of Heresy's the Hersey I's are the fronts of my HT system powered by my Pioneer VSX-815. While I do listen to them at times for music I am not sure there would much point in Bi-amping them though I have thought about using the pre-outs on the Pioneer to add an amp just to see if it adds a little oomph to the system.

My Heresy II's are currently hooked up to my Fischer X-100-C tube amp. I am not if I should/could use the tube amp to bi-amp them. The other option would be to put them back with my Adcom system. The 545II is the main amp there but I have a 535L that is sitting with a minor problem. I think that would be a real possibility though I am a bit ignorant on how exactly I would biamp this set up. My pre-amp is an Adcom 555 if that helps.
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700
    Rogers BBC Monitors LS3/6

Suspended
    Hi Kid, it does add more punch or impact, especially if you have an amp on the horns with a gain control. Biamping alone seemed to help but bringing the horns volume down slightly to give a more balanced presentation really made them hammer. It makes them give you more of a hit in the chest feel.

Your Fisher receiver would be a cool set up if it had preamp outputs. The Fisher could run the horns while one of your solid state amps could run the woofers.

Using the 555, first remove the metal straps from between the terminals, hook the more powerful amp to the woofers, bottom set of terminals, then the other amp to the top set of terminals to drive the horns. The 555 probably only has one set of preamp outputs so you will have to use a "Y" adaptor with the single end to the preamp, run one leg of the left to bottom amp and the other left to top amp, then do the same with the right. The 545 on woofers and 535 on horns should make a nice combo but as mentioned being able to adjust one amp or the other gain really helps tailor the sound.

If you try it let me know what happens.

Since the Heresy only plays down so far I'd set the main speakers of your HT to "small" and let the sub carry the low end up to about 60Hz or so. This may help there. Out of curiosity what are you using for a center channel speaker? If interested I have an Academy in great condition.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Okay things are a little clearer. You can bi-amp Heresy III's easily because of the two sets of terminals. My Heresy II's only have one set of terminals so I guess I would either need an external X-Over mentioned earlier or change the existing X-over to accomodate the extra terminals for the HF. Probably not the easiest thing for someone of my limited tech skills.

I'd love to take the Academy off your hands but resources are limited as child #2 starts college next month. I am currently using a Klipsch Synergy C1 that I got off of CL as my center. It is capable for the room but I know I could do better. There is a KV series center on CL in my area and I tried to swap my Marantz 2245 for it but the owner wants cash. As for the settings on my HT I do have the Heresy I's set to small and feed the bass to my NHT SubOne. If you are standing next to my house when it moves air you can feel it a bit..........
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700
    Rogers BBC Monitors LS3/6

Suspended
    Oh, I assumed all the Heresy were biampable. With one set of terminals it probably isn't worth the effort. I'd be interested in knowing any difference in crossovers in the I, II & III.

Quote Originally Posted by harley .guy07 View Post
    Biamping any speaker can produce good results if done correctly with the right quality equipment and is not a waste of time. Yes a more efficient speaker will generally get more than loud enough for almost anyone with a single amp setup but biamping gives the amps room to breath and to do their thing with ease which can produce a more ease of presentation and let the equipment run at its best without as much heat build up and such.. And as Mr Peabody said he was able to turn the horns down in order to balance things out so in his case it helped in more that one way.

The simplest solution is to buy one amp with enough power that you have the headroom "to let the system breathe", and to give the sound that ease of presentation. There is no audible advantage to bi-wiring any speaker, the internal crossover is still at play in this case. .

Personally, I don't think bi-wiring is the cure for a poor inter-driver balance - a problem with some models in the Klipsch line. Rather than bi-wiring, there are a number of crossover and driver upgrades for the Heresy that are cheaper and easier to pull together, with definite sonic benefits. One cheap way I have read about involved stuffing a bit of toilet paper in the midrange horn. I read that on the Klipsch forum a long time ago.

Real bi-amping requires a bypass of the internal crossover, and active or passive filters to keep the highs out of the bass driver(and amp), and lows out of the tweeter(and amp). The crossover should be set before the amplification. This is not the setup the OP is describing, so I am doubtful of the conclusions. Powered professional monitors provide true bi-amping as they operate exactly like the before mentioned.

The OP has bi-wired his speakers, not Bi amped them. There is a difference.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

I remember the Powered Advent Speaker which was truly bi-amped. You would run an interconnect from the preamp to the speakers. The crossover would divide the signal and send the upper frequencies to the tweeter amp and the lows to the woofer amp. The tweeter amp was of lower wattage than the woofer amp. As I remember a very powerful and dynamic sound.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kid, Klipsch owners, biamping etc.-adventloudspeaker.jpg  
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible View Post
    The simplest solution is to buy one amp with enough power that you have the headroom "to let the system breathe", and to give the sound that ease of presentation. There is no audible advantage to bi-wiring any speaker, the internal crossover is still at play in this case. .

Personally, I don't think bi-wiring is the cure for a poor inter-driver balance - a problem with some models in the Klipsch line. Rather than bi-wiring, there are a number of crossover and driver upgrades for the Heresy that are cheaper and easier to pull together, with definite sonic benefits. One cheap way I have read about involved stuffing a bit of toilet paper in the midrange horn. I read that on the Klipsch forum a long time ago.

Real bi-amping requires a bypass of the internal crossover, and active or passive filters to keep the highs out of the bass driver(and amp), and lows out of the tweeter(and amp). The crossover should be set before the amplification. This is not the setup the OP is describing, so I am doubtful of the conclusions. Powered professional monitors provide true bi-amping as they operate exactly like the before mentioned.

The OP has bi-wired his speakers, not Bi amped them. There is a difference.
    I actually think that he was referring to bi amping not bi wiring since he is using multiple amplifiers to separately drive his low end and high end and even though he is still using the internal crossovers what he is doing is true bi amping its just not with active crossovers he is still using the passive crossovers in the cabinets which is fine if you are satisfied with the crossover point and have not done a lot of modifying of the speakers. Yes passive crossovers do drain some power but there are not very many active crossovers in the home audio world that are very clean when used with high end equipment and most pro sound unit make you switch all the connections going from RCA to XLR unless all of your home stuff runs XLR connectors already then it changes things but I would say you would have to go with quite a pricey pro sound unit for it not to ad distortions or be as quiet as the rest of the components.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

I actually think that he was referring to bi amping not bi wiring since he is using multiple amplifiers to separately drive his low end and high end and even though he is still using the internal crossovers what he is doing is true bi amping its just not with active crossovers he is still using the passive crossovers in the cabinets which is fine if you are satisfied with the crossover point and have not done a lot of modifying of the speakers. Yes passive crossovers do drain some power but there are not very many active crossovers in the home audio world that are very clean when used with high end equipment and most pro sound unit make you switch all the connections going from RCA to XLR unless all of your home stuff runs XLR connectors already then it changes things but I would say you would have to go with quite a pricey pro sound unit for it not to ad distortions or be as quiet as the rest of the components.

Yes he is using two amps but true biamping is preamp to crossover and highs to one amp and lows to the other amp. Then the output of the high frequency amp to the tweeter and low frequency amp to the woofer. A 3 way speaker would need to be triamped. He is doing a pseudo biamping.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    Yes he is using two amps but true biamping is preamp to crossover and highs to one amp and lows to the other amp. Then the output of the high frequency amp to the tweeter and low frequency amp to the woofer. A 3 way speaker would need to be triamped. He is doing a pseudo biamping.
    You are correct JM, pseudo biamping, but more appropriately bi-wiring.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

bi wiring still only uses one amp and he uses two amps so it is bi amping he is just not going the full distance that bi amping can do with active crossovers that completely separate the frequencies that each amp and driver receive and does not use passive crossovers inside the speakers, This is true bi amping but but it not used in home audio very much because most people do not have the knowledge and don't want the fuss of matching levels and all that is necessary for full bi amping but what Mr. Peabody is doing is a form of bi amping not biwiring which would only use one amplifier.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

Before I worked selling high end home audio I worked in a car audio shop installing car audio components and bi amping and tri amping was the norm especially seperating the bass from the midbass and higher frequencies with electronic crossovers(active crossovers) so I know what these kind of setups are and the difference between biwiring and biamping.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

Since both amps are receiving the full frequency range it is not biamping. One of the advantages of bi or tri is the amps can be tailored to the frequency driver it will be driving. The woofer needing the most power, the midrange a little less and the tweeter needing the least. Maybe the correct term should be biwiring with dual amps. If the Y connectors are not of high quality I wonder if they will offset any chance of improvement when using two amps?
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Suspended
    JM, I was happy with pseudo. I gave the set up in my original post, I am not using "Y" adaptors. The USP-1 has a sub out with crossover, high pass out with 50-250hz and a full range. Cool features for a preamp. I'm not handy with a solder iron nor do I wish to diminish the value of my speakers by tinkering with them but I could almost do a true biamp with this preamp. Well I could do a 2-way without a sub. The amp I have on the mid/high horns also has a gain control.

Well i understand that both amps receiving a full range signal is not conventional bi amping but using two amps to drive a system, one for the bass end, and one for the treble end, even though the amps are receiving a full range signal the amps themselves are only powering drive units that are crossed over to run certain frequencies. and while it is not as good as actively crossed over bi amping in its conventional form due to the obvious reasons there can still be benefits to what Mr P has done in some systems and have seen this for myself and I have had extensive work in bi amping, Tri amping, with or without and electronic or (active) crossover before the amplifiers. So in a nutshell in a conventional sense he is not truly bi amping because the lack of a active crossover but he is getting an added sonic and dynamic effect by running separate amps for the low end and tweeters on his two way speakers through the passive crossovers which can add to the dynamic ability of the system no matter how you look at it.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

Well i understand that both amps receiving a full range signal is not conventional bi amping but using two amps to drive a system, one for the bass end, and one for the treble end, even though the amps are receiving a full range signal the amps themselves are only powering drive units that are crossed over to run certain frequencies. and while it is not as good as actively crossed over bi amping in its conventional form due to the obvious reasons there can still be benefits to what Mr P has done in some systems and have seen this for myself and I have had extensive work in bi amping, Tri amping, with or without and electronic or (active) crossover before the amplifiers. So in a nutshell in a conventional sense he is not truly bi amping because the lack of a active crossover but he is getting an added sonic and dynamic effect by running separate amps for the low end and tweeters on his two way speakers through the passive crossovers which can add to the dynamic ability of the system no matter how you look at it.

The Klipsch Heresy is a three way speaker with a cone woofer and horn loaded midrange and a horn loaded tweeter.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

well that being the case then he has one amp powering the woofers and the other powering to two horns for midrange and treble. I think I got them confused with another model but the same principle applies except that the highs amp runs 2 drivers a midrange and tweeter horn.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

I fully comprehend what he has done. I also understand why it provides a benefit. My only problem is with our limitations of audio terms. It is somewhere between bi-wiring and bi-amping but it is not bi-amping in the truest sense of the word.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    I fully comprehend what he has done. I also understand why it provides a benefit. My only problem is with our limitations of audio terms. It is somewhere between bi-wiring and bi-amping but it is not bi-amping in the truest sense of the word.
    In this case there is no limitation. The OP is bi-wiring not bi-amping. Bi-amping places the crossovers before the power stages, and there is quite frankly no way to bi-amp the Heresy. There are very few speakers that allow bi-amping, but plenty that support bi-wiring.

http://www.audioforums.com/forums/sh...wire-vs-Bi-amp
    Last edited by Sir Terrence the Terrible; 07-08-2011 at 02:14 PM.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp