Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Internalizing the WAF

I've loved my Magneplanar MG 1.6QR's for several years now but there is a problem: they have to reside in the living room. That room is the only room adequately dimensiones and laid out to accomodate them, but it's also the formal area for receiving quests. Even so, my wife is very tolerant of the appearance of the MG 1.6's, (bless her heart), but not so much the space they hog, i.e. the 3' wall clearance.

What I'm considering, (I think), is a pair of 2-way, probably stand-mount speakers that can be placed within 1' of the wall and cost under $1200. For sound I prefer neutrality, clean detail, and precise imaging. With these speakers I intend to continue to use my passive preamp and my very neutral & transparent class D amp -- although I would considered active speakers too.

Folks, I need you help because I've been disregarding the state of the market for the type of speakers I've described" Your advice and suggestions, please!

A friend just picked up a set of these........

....PSB Sync one BS. Great neutral sounding speakers and a fairly decent bottom end.

Synchrony One B - PSB Speakers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Internalizing the WAF-img%5B3%5D.jpg  

Ajani
    The only monitors I could recommend, retail for $2K; Revel Performa M22... However, I'm sure I've seen a few of them recently on A'gon within your budget...

The Revels have controls on the back for choosing between operating in free space or close to walls...

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues View Post
    ....PSB Sync one BS. Great neutral sounding speakers and a fairly decent bottom end.

Synchrony One B - PSB Speakers
    The Sync One B needs to be on my short list, that is, provide I can get a little closer to my budget of $1200 than the MSRP of $2000.

I would expect to continue to use my current subwoofer, an older PSB Subsonic 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani View Post
    The only monitors I could recommend, retail for $2K; Revel Performa M22... However, I'm sure I've seen a few of them recently on A'gon within your budget...

The Revels have controls on the back for choosing between operating in free space or close to walls...
    The Performa M22 is certainly the type of speaker I'm interested in. At $2k MSRP, availability of a used pair is a big consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    The Sync One B needs to be on my short list, that is, provide I can get a little closer to my budget of $1200 than the MSRP of $2000.

I would expect to continue to use my current subwoofer, an older PSB Subsonic 5.

I have gotten good deals from John. He may even have a demo pair availiable. 'Course the shipping might add to many pesos to the bill.

John Hope
    Visual Sound Store
    #8 - 625 Cliffe Ave.
    Courtenay BC V9N 2J6 250-338-5177
    250-338-9907 (fax)

I recently heard the Focal Chorus 807V at a dealer and I really thought it was impressive. Crystal clarity and very revealing, but smooth. It had really great controlled bass not muddled or boomy. I have heard that they can be unforgiving of bad recordings or crappy upstream gear, but from what I remember of your posts that I have read you have neither. You might like them especially since you have the passive pre and Class D. Which by the way, that combo is what I am striving for now, hopefully I will be able to put a system like that together.

The Focals sell for way under a 1000 on Audiogon (I think there is a pair now for $600) They have an aggressive look that might have a WAF issue.

Left -field recommendation is a pair of Snell J V.2 on Ebay ($300) right now. I have a pair of Snell Type Q's (I have way too many speakers right now) and they are the most neutral and ruthlessly revealing speakers I have ever heard. RGA can chime in on this, he knows more than me about Snell. They have however the most "ruler flat" frequency response out of almost any speaker.

Hope this helps.

Feanor,

If you are set on the Revel 22's someone is selling them on Audiogon for $1200.

Just a FYI

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Enochrome View Post
    I recently heard the Focal Chorus 807V at a dealer and I really thought it was impressive. Crystal clarity and very revealing, but smooth. It had really great controlled bass not muddled or boomy. I have heard that they can be unforgiving of bad recordings or crappy upstream gear, but from what I remember of your posts that I have read you have neither. You might like them especially since you have the passive pre and Class D. Which by the way, that combo is what I am striving for now, hopefully I will be able to put a system like that together.

The Focals sell for way under a 1000 on Audiogon (I think there is a pair now for $600) They have an aggressive look that might have a WAF issue.

Left -field recommendation is a pair of Snell J V.2 on Ebay ($300) right now. I have a pair of Snell Type Q's (I have way too many speakers right now) and they are the most neutral and ruthlessly revealing speakers I have ever heard. RGA can chime in on this, he knows more than me about Snell. They have however the most "ruler flat" frequency response out of almost any speaker.

Hope this helps.
    I have a pair of older JM Labs speakers before they switched the name to Focal. They are very fast accurate and revealing. Detailed but not very deep bass. Only complaint I have is the Titanium Tweeter that can get irritating on overly bright recordings. Overall, Focal or JM Labs speakers are not far behind Dynaudio, and most models at that time still lacked bass.

Forum Regular
    Art Dudley of Stereophile loves these and owns a pair. They're small ( great WAF ) and take up less space than a stand mounted speaker. Read the reviews on this forum as well as the HSH website.

the horn shoppe

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues View Post
    I have gotten good deals from John. He may even have a demo pair availiable. 'Course the shipping might add to many pesos to the bill.

John Hope
    Visual Sound Store
    #8 - 625 Cliffe Ave.
    Courtenay BC V9N 2J6 250-338-5177
    250-338-9907 (fax)
    Thanks for the tip, LDB.

Inexpensive option

...but not so much the space they hog, i.e. the 3' wall clearance.
    My suggestion is to buy some of this. Mark the speaker position and simply push them back towards the wall when company arrives. Most likely, they don't realize Maggies are speakers anyway.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    With regards to the Snell J - Art Dudley had them and regrets having sold them. But I doubt the OP is willing to listen to anything outside the box of usual suspects. Any pun a fortunate coincidence.

The list of speakers in the $1200 price range is very deep. The Audio Note AX Two at $700 is versatile enough to front $40,000 front end stereos and not seem out of place sonically. Works with 5 watt amps ant 200 watt amps - is a nearfiled monitor that works near walls and corners. The cheaper version sounds better than the sig version so I would recommend it over a use sig version. The floorstanders are good but absolutely must be hard positioned in corners - they sound unbalanced and coloured out of corners. A Magneapn 1.6 lover / reviewer favourably compared the AZ two which is why I bring it up.

I would suggest the Sonist speakers as they have ribbon tweeters and if it's the type of treble you're used to then perhaps this is the best route.

Nevertheless - a corner loaded speaker solves room WAF issues since they don't take up 1/3 of the living area if they have to be 4 feet into the room then it doesn't matter if it's a panel or slim Totem or a fat Magnepan - all the space behind them is wasted regardless and they are obtrusive.

The new AZ Two is in this price range bu Hi-Fi Choice magazine as part of a system review - but IME they must be placed in corners to get away from colourations - though this is a newer model so perhaps some things have been altered. Page 2 of the Hi-Fi Choice review talks about the speakers here Audio Note Zero System review | from TechRadar's expert reviews of Audio systems
    The AX and AZ speakers are built in anew plant in Denmark that can actually get products out the door. I am planning to buy a set of one or the other here in Hong Kong at some point.

I hear Roksan's complete system and enjoyed it - They have a standmount speaker likely in this price range that uses a ribbon tweeter Best Loudspeaker If it sounds as good as the bigger floorstander I heard at $3000 then this may be worth considering as well. But I have no clue how close to the wall you can put them.

Various sealed box designs usually don't have issues with close to wall positioning - Older Celestion and NHT models might be acceptable. The latter may have the kind of imaging desired.

Few speakers will meet the request that like close to wall positioning that also sound good, also are $1200 and under - so I can't recommend many speakers I like as a result because I am not sure how they would handle near room boundaries.

At least with panels - they are easy to shove over to the side when you have guests - big hulking heavy speakers not so much.

C'mon Feaner - you know you have to get a pair of AN E's in your house and stick them in the corners - look at the space you will have :-) Audio Note $1,000,000 loudspeakers.mp4 - YouTube

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by RGA View Post
    The Audio Note AX Two at $700 is versatile enough to front $40,000 front end stereos and not seem out of place sonically.
    Seriously? That statement doesn't strike you as being perhaps a touch over the top?

RGA
    Forum Regular
    You should listen to it with $40k worth of gear. Granted there is a large segment that always supports the source first philosophy so such gear should in theory help out any decent loudspeaker.

Though I was surprised at how much better it sounded with better and better gear - often there is an early stopping point with numerous loudspeakers (which is usually why we hear the DBT crowd not hear differences in amplifiers and CD players - bad speakers won't separate the better gear. The AX Two does and that is partly why I will likely buy them.

And the bonus is gear is cheaper here due to tariffs and no tax.

EDIT: Although I would say I would not create such an unbalance system when there are better speakers available
    Last edited by RGA; 12-01-2011 at 01:05 AM.

I second the PSB's but how about some Fritz speakers

Fritz Speakers Loudspeakers Sound System Designs

Or the Paradigm Studio 20's, a very clean sounding speaker vs the warmer sounding PSB's.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    I've loved my Magneplanar MG 1.6QR's for several years now but there is a problem: they have to reside in the living room. That room is the only room adequately dimensiones and laid out to accomodate them, but it's also the formal area for receiving quests. Even so, my wife is very tolerant of the appearance of the MG 1.6's, (bless her heart), but not so much the space they hog, i.e. the 3' wall clearance.

![/I]
    Poor poor Feanor!

It depends on the room of course but mags dont need 3ft wall clearance. I know I know.

If you can try a sideways setup like the one in the pict with the speakers facing each other, then try it before throwing money away. I have the speakers 1ft from the sidewalls and they sound great in this tiny room with no option to get them 3ft from the walls.

Just in case the mags are the big lines above the amps! Ignore all that stuff flanking the bed. I was trying to figure out a sub placement and I decided to build a stand and put them under the mmgs:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Internalizing the WAF-maggie_setup_10.22.091.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnrazor View Post
    Poor poor Feanor!

It depends on the room of course but mags dont need 3ft wall clearance. I know I know.

If you can try a sideways setup like the one in the pict with the speakers facing each other, then try it before throwing money away. I have the speakers 1ft from the sidewalls and they sound great in this tiny room with no option to get them 3ft from the walls.

Just in case the mags are the big lines above the amps! Ignore all that stuff flanking the bed. I was trying to figure out a sub placement and I decided to build a stand and put them under the mmgs:
    I have positioned Maggies as close as 1.5 feet from the wall. I've done this using this configuration (with the closer distance) ...

The results are acceptable in that there is no "dopler effect" or such artifacts, but you do shrink the soundstage and loose some ambiance.

Quote Originally Posted by RGA View Post
    The list of speakers in the $1200 price range is very deep. The Audio Note AX Two at $700 is versatile enough to front $40,000 front end stereos and not seem out of place sonically. Works with 5 watt amps ant 200 watt amps - is a nearfiled monitor that works near walls and corners. The cheaper version sounds better than the sig version so I would recommend it over a use sig version. The floorstanders are good but absolutely must be hard positioned in corners - they sound unbalanced and coloured out of corners. A Magneapn 1.6 lover / reviewer favourably compared the AZ two which is why I bring it up.
    Various sealed box designs usually don't have issues with close to wall positioning - Older Celestion and NHT models might be acceptable. The latter may have the kind of imaging desired.

Few speakers will meet the request that like close to wall positioning that also sound good, also are $1200 and under - so I can't recommend many speakers I like as a result because I am not sure how they would handle near room boundaries.
    I'm not vehemently opposed to the AN's but these and some of the other speakers you mention are not readily available around here; I'd at least have to go to Toronto.

The AN ought to be placed in the corners but I'm not sure that this is viable option in our rooms.

It's interesting that you mentioned closed-box designs. I agree that these are more suitable for near-wall placement due to their more gradual bass roll-off. This is obviously true for older designs that were designed for actual bookshelf placement. I've I were to build my own speakers, (could still be an option), I would build a closed-box, however this does limit the choice of drivers because the majority of drivers available have Qts < .4 which is too low for closed boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    I second the PSB's but how about some Fritz speakers

Fritz Speakers Loudspeakers Sound System Designs

Or the Paradigm Studio 20's, a very clean sounding speaker vs the warmer sounding PSB's.
    The Fritz speakers look quite appealing, actually: sound, basic designs with high-quality drivers. Availability is a problem: if nothing worse, it's expensive to ship large, heavy, expensive objects from the US to Canada.

Paradigm Studio 20 are high on my consideration list. It's a bonus that they are made in North America, (more precisely, Canada).

Ajani
    I'm not vehemently opposed to the AN's but these and some of the other speakers you mention are not readily available around here; I'd at least have to go to Toronto.

The AN ought to be placed in the corners but I'm not sure that this is viable option in our rooms.

It's interesting that you mentioned closed-box designs. I agree that these are more suitable for near-wall placement due to their more gradual bass roll-off. This is obviously true for older designs that were designed for actual bookshelf placement. I've I were to build my own speakers, (could still be an option), I would build a closed-box, however this does limit the choice of drivers because the majority of drivers available have Qts < .4 which is too low for closed boxes.
    I do find the notion of closed speakers that can be placed against the wall or in corners to be appealing... From a practical perspective it makes more sense than speakers that need 3 feet of wall clearance...

If you want drivers with QTS > .4, you should check with Poultrygeist as those are the kind he uses for his open baffle designs...

I'm sure Poultry would regard this as heresy, but I've been tempted to take one of his OB designs and use it in a sealed box, so I could place it against the wall....

Call me crazy, but at this point I'm giving some serious consider to professional style, active monitors. The best alternatives have serveral or all these useful features:
    • Built-in, custom tweaked amplifiers
    • Bi-amplification with tweaked, high-order crossovers
    • Bass level adjustment to accomodate near-wall and corner placement
    • High frequency level adjustment
    • High-pass bass filter which can make subwoofer integration easier.
    • Controlled dispersion, making early reflections easier to control
    • High output with relatively low distortion
    • Compact size
    • Inherently neutral frequency balance.
    An example that has all these features is the Mackie HR624 MkII, (here or here); a pair of these runs about a grand, new. These Mackies also have servo-controlled bass.

Dynaudio also makes a few models such as the BM5A, (here), that is also about a grand the pair.

Last edited by Feanor; 12-01-2011 at 07:39 AM.

Ajani
    Nothing wrong with Pro Actives... Especially if you just want accurate sound... I think the only issue is that you already have a nice Class D amp... so unless you plan to sell it, it seems a waste not to make use of it...

In addition to the Mackies, I've read a lot of good things about the Focal CMS line of actives... The CMS50 is within your budget:

Focal CMS 50 | Sweetwater.com
    Last edited by Ajani; 12-01-2011 at 07:29 AM.

Sophisticated Red Neck manlystanley's Avatar

What I'm considering, (I think), is a pair of 2-way, probably stand-mount speakers that can be placed within 1' of the wall and cost under $1200. For sound I prefer neutrality, clean detail, and precise imaging. With these speakers I intend to continue to use my passive preamp and my very neutral & transparent class D amp -- although I would considered active speakers too.

Folks, I need you help because I've been disregarding the state of the market for the type of speakers I've described" Your advice and suggestions, please!
    Look on e-bay for Jamo speakers. I recently read that some guy bought: 2 C809's and the C80 center for $450! Makes my deal on them look like I got took. The C809's originally sold for $1,000 each.

My WAF has been high for these speakers.
    Listening/Movie Room: ADCOM GTP-500, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Denon AVR-687,. Projector: Sharp XR-32X.

Family Room: Denon avr-687, Denon CD player, Klipsch RB-5II

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani View Post
    Nothing wrong with Pro Actives... Especially if you just want accurate sound... I think the only issue is that you already have a nice Class D amp... so unless you plan to sell it, it seems a waste not to make use of it...

In addition to the Mackies, I've read a lot of good things about the Focal CMS line of actives... The CMS50 is within your budget:
    Focal CMS 50 | Sweetwater.com
    Yep, the Focals certainly meet my criteria for pro monitors.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information