Linear Guy

Black Bag anyone?

I have asked this question before but I will assume many more new members now to help me. I have a pair of "Black Bag" Speakers. They are a 6 inch 2 way and they are innefficient
    ( 87dB ). They have been in daily use in a bedroom system for 27 years. They are magnificent in the near field and maybe sort of average from 10-12 feet away. .
    My only memeories are that they came in a black plastic bag, had an insignia of a crumpled bag and were only available in black. the construction is thick plywood and fit and finish is excellent so I assume they were high end. Cloth tweeter and rubber edge woofer. I thought I remember something about them being Canadian, but after contacting practically every speaker maker, no shop would claim it. Is this stirring up any memories?

Thanks and a joyous Christmas to all. I still enjoy the audiotalk on this site when it is gentlemanly.

Daviethek

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by daviethek View Post
    I have asked this question before but I will assume many more new members now to help me. I have a pair of "Black Bag" Speakers. They are a 6 inch 2 way and they are innefficient
    ( 87dB ). They have been in daily use in a bedroom system for 27 years. They are magnificent in the near field and maybe sort of average from 10-12 feet away. .
    My only memeories are that they came in a black plastic bag, had an insignia of a crumpled bag and were only available in black. the construction is thick plywood and fit and finish is excellent so I assume they were high end. Cloth tweeter and rubber edge woofer. I thought I remember something about them being Canadian, but after contacting practically every speaker maker, no shop would claim it. Is this stirring up any memories?

Thanks and a joyous Christmas to all. I still enjoy the audiotalk on this site when it is gentlemanly.

Daviethek

I was thinking they were from England.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Linear Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    I was thinking they were from England.
    Maybe JM, I'll start a fresh search there. Cheers, Dave

AR Newbie Registered Member
    I purchased my pair of Black Bag speakers back in 1987 from "For The Groove" in Toronto. The retailer was also listed as the distributor so it may have started as a house brand. The pair I have does not even have a product label on the back. From what I was told and after some research, it appears these speakers use the same Polydax drivers as the Spica TC50.

Here is the information from an old Canadian buyers guide.

1" Dome tweeter, 6 1/2" Woofer
    60Hz - 20kHz +/- 3db, 86 dB Sensitivity
    Nominal Impedance: 4 ohms
    Min/Max Power: 25w / 150w (1987 edition of guide), 15w / 100w (1989 edition of guide)
    Notes: Near-field Pro Monitor, 18db/octave crossover
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Black Bag anyone?-p1150305.jpg  
    Last edited by infinitebit; 01-15-2012 at 12:59 PM.

Thread Information