Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

I got my Swan Diva 6.1s....** Review **

I was in the market for some $600 speakers, but then I increased the budget to $1500; I started to audition B&Ws, Paradigms, Energy veritas and Connosseuir, Axiom M60 and M80, Rockets 750, and a few others...anyway:

After all the research, I decided on the Swan Diva 6.1 mains and the Swan Diva 3C Center:

and

I am just completely blown away by these speakers (they arrived yesterday), so I will put a small review here.....pics to follow in the next couple of days:

Packaging
    As soon as I got home, I knew this thing was up to a good start, because the 3 boxes arrived on top of a wooden Palette, each box made of really thick carton, and the whole thing wrapped in plastic so it doesn't get wet, etc.... I started to open the center channel box (which was huge for the size of the center channel iitself) and removed all the foam bricks and corners just to realize there was another box inside! I took the inner box out, and again, there was plenty of foam bricks and corners, and the foam molds holding the thing in place!

I pulled speaker out (it was HEAVY! ) but it was wrapped in an anti-scratching white fiber bag. There were two small gloves made of thin material on the top as well, so I used them to handle the speakers and remove the bag. When I pulled it out, my jaw dropped at the finish of this thing....(see below)

I did the same thing with the mains, which were much bigger, and needless to say, the packaging on them was even more impressive than the center...it took me about 20 min to take each freaggin thing out!

Visuals, Finishing
    If you are in the market for a $5000 speaker look at sub$1000 prices, this is the speaker for you!!!! When I took these speakers out, the first thing I stared at was the Lacquer finish (truly it was Grand Piano quality) and the details. The floor studs where heafty, the connectors in the back where HuGE and solid...they are bi-wire capable and they have a solid plastic cover so that they don't get dinged or anything. I thought I had pretty thick IXOS speaker wires, but when you connect them to these speakers, they look tiny

Once the speakers were setup around my TV, they are just a BEAUTY to look at....truly, I looked at them for about 10 min before I even turned them on, because they were such an impressive and fine looking piece of furniture....

During the last few months, I was able to see several speakers, some at much higher price as well....I saw the B&W 603s, 704s, Nautilus 804s, as well as auditioning the Rockets 750 (in South miami....Thanks Enrique! ), the Energy veritas 2.4, and some Paradigm Studios.....In true honesty, I can sit here and tell you that they don't come Close to the finish and look of these Swans! The Nautilus was the only one that I was equally or more impressed by than the swan 6.1s.

Musical Sound
    These speakers need about 100 hours to break in, so this is not an accurate assesment, but if they are going to get better with time, I cannot fathom how much better they can sound!!!
    I started by playing a mozart CD, a Jazz CD, then some MP3s from my iPod, followed by Norah Jones SACD, Pink Floyd, and then my AIXrecords' DVD audio sampler (all of these thru my Denon 3910 player, except the iPod). The musical accuracy was AMAZING!....these speakers produced sounds I have not heard on my CD's. I still have my Infinity IL10's as my surrounds, and they are overshadowed big time by the mains...they are just stunning and so clear.

The 3 things that surprised me the most are: very tight yet musically deep bass, crispy highs (perhaps too much for some, but I love them), and just astounding depth and acoustic resonance in the mids and voices. I will let them run for a couple of weeks, before giving my full review, but they are off to a blazing Start!!

HomeTheater Sound
    I started by testing the levels using THX tests on the incredibles....the center channel had a louder level, but I left it like that for now. I then played LOTR-ROTK battle scene, Shark Tale 2 chasing scene, and Fifth Element Ultimate Edition last fighting scene....one word:WOW! The voices coming off that center channel were life-like, with depth and strenght! They had like a 3D spacial effect on them...wierd to explain....just like in the theaters! The mains did a Superb job in doing the effects and the sounds when needed...but the Center channel here was the one who stole the show....

Again....more detailed info when I get a chance to dive in for more rigorous tests when these bad boys break in a little....

Initial conclusion

With the exception of B&W 704s, which were very close in sound quality, and the Nautilus 804s which I think did sound a little better, there is no speaker out there that has the combination of Sound, finish, and quality that the Swan 6.1s have, specially at this price range.

My colleague and neighbor has a set of B&W 603 S3 paired with a Denon 4803 Rx, and he came over to the house to check them out last nite... he was amazed at them as well, and told me that although it hurts to admit it, these bad boys are the better speakers musically (he didn't stay for the HT tests I did).

To all of you considering upgrading your mains (or your center channel) to something $2000 or less, I will tell you to give the Swan Diva 6.1s a test and I will guarantee you that it will be the speaker you end up choosing, specially when you realize they sound better, and are cheaper than a lot of speakers with much higher prices.

Finally, I will post pics in the next couple of days.....haven't had a chance yet, but I will

Forum Regular

Congrats! ...

...they look great. Nothing like a new toy, eh?

They seem to have many similarities to the B&Ws... never heard them, though.

Have fun, and let us know what ya think in a few weeks...

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Don't forget to post to the REVIEW section too.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

First post is a love letter on Swans, eh? Color me skeptical.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say congrats on finding musical nirvana.

Enjoy!

Forum Regular
    Yes, this is my first post here....so, I guess that's a bad thing in your opinion to be very happy with a product you bought and share it with others as a "first" post????

you sure make people feel welcome here....thanks!

ps- no wonder there is not a lot of movement in this forum, because of people like you! I think I will stick with avsforum.com, and feel free to check that I have more than "1 post" over there!

pss- for those who asked me, here are some pics:

Last edited by ssabripo; 04-28-2005 at 05:30 AM.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I've never heard Swans speakers, but I have heard a few of the Hi-Vi Research (parent company, big driver manufacturer) woofers in some other designs and don't doubt for a minute for a minute these speakers are a good buy. One in particular was mated with a Morel tweeter and was pretty darn nice sounding.

Hi-Vi wisened up a few years back and started a speaker company to help sell the drivers.
    I have a feeling that this is going to be the future of speakers...China and Japan are among the highest consumers of hi-fi equipment (apparently much more so than home) and have the production facilities and capacities to make things very inexpensive...I don't know about all companies but Hi-Vi has a good rep for quality. I suspect as we're seeing elsewhere, many of the crappier companies will start to dry up.

The funny thing about Swans is all the knock off companies that are starting up selling speakers using the same drivers, cabinet size,etc...A lot of people suspect the production plant employees start up their own little side business or something.

Energy was the latest company I've heard of this year to move a lot of production to China from Canada....cheaper labor, better production facilities, lower costs etc...I don't think it'll be too long before some other bigger names start to feel the pressure too. Designing stage seems to remain abroad however (in this case USA).

I guess there's good and bad...loss of jobs, but cheaper prices...someday when China's economy catches up and the labor capacity approaches maximum, things will level out. I hope.

Talking 4 years ago Swan Diva's

were all the RAGE here. Swan Divas an nOrh 9.0s were all anyone could talk about. They weren't being skeptical of your love of your Diva's they just thought you might have been a company shill. But the pics of your home system have put any doubts I had to rest. Enjoy. I almost bought a used pair of those myself...

Da Worfster

Forum Regular
    duuuude, nice !@#$ing setup man. Those speakers look sweet, especially with the rest of your theater.
    "Flouridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face."
    --Gen. Jack D. Ripper

Quote Originally Posted by ssabripo
    you sure make people feel welcome here....thanks!
    I try !

ps- no wonder there is not a lot of movement in this forum, because of people like you! I think I will stick with avsforum.com, and feel free to check that I have more than "1 post" over there!
    As Worfster said, there are such things as shills and lord knows we see them everyday. Generally, first posts that extoll the irrefutable virtues of "X" product warrant a bit of skepticism, wouldn't you agree? As I said before, congrats on finding musical nirvana. Believe it or not, I was actually serious.

Forum Regular
    ok, well in that case, thanks....I wouldn't say i have found nirvana yet; I'm kinda anal like that. Gimme a nice set of Nautilus 803s, some Krell amps, some flat silver wire, and then we are talkin....

Canuck!
    Those Swans sure are nice looking, I was very curious about their sound when i first saw them, but having to deal with importing them into Canada i decided to pass... what did you replace with them?

Gershman Acoustics X-1/SW-1 / Odyssey Stratos Extreme Monoblocks / Edge Electronics Si-1m Preamplifier / Sony DVP-NC555ES Transport Modded Caps and Opamps / Pro-Ject Debut II with Shure M97xE / Carver TX-11 Tuner / SonoCable and Harmonic Tech Cabling / Monster Power HTS1000 MKII / Monster Power HTS3500 MKII / Audio Note AN-K/Spe / Radii MSKT88 Monoblocks / SonoSilence One / Akai Reference Master

Forum Regular
    I replaced a set of Infinity IL10 bookshelfs, and an infinity IL25C center channel....

Not tempted by Swans, BUT ...

Quote Originally Posted by corwin99
    Those Swans sure are nice looking, I was very curious about their sound when i first saw them, but having to deal with importing them into Canada i decided to pass... what did you replace with them?
    I am tempted to do a DIY project using Hi-Vi ribbon tweeters. Hi-Vi drivers are available in Canada from Solen.ca

congrats on the new speaks...

I heard the swans about four years ago and though they were a great buy...I enjoyed reading your post more for the excitment I felt from the review rather than as a pure review...because I know how I feel/felt when I'm playing new equipment...fun fun fun!

Peace, Pogue
    • Mark Levinson No. 27
    • Musical Fidelity 308cr
    • Martin Logan Prodigy's
    • Ariel Acoustics 10-T
    • Rega Planet CD
    • CJ Premier 9 DAC
    • Linn LP12 - Basik Plus - Valhalla
    • Benz Micro Cart.
    • Akai GX 747 Reel to Reel
    • Straight Wire Virtuoso Interconnects

Hey Ssabripo,

Welcome, and what a beautiful setup! very elegant.

Hey, could you post your review in the reviews section, and your photos in the gallery? THat would be great. Feel free to leave this stuff here.

Thanks,
    Eric

Unhappy Dang man...

That set up looks schweet though... Congrats... Just keep lookin' at dem drivers. I've a pair of those that were shoehorned into a pair of vintage Epicure 15's. Best bookshelf I own right now...

Da Worsfter

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    That set up looks schweet though... Congrats... Just keep lookin' at dem drivers. I've a pair of those that were shoehorned into a pair of vintage Epicure 15's. Best bookshelf I own right now...

Da Worsfter
    Really Worf? I've been toying with the idea of ordering some of these to put into a large tower - something like the pics here, but just a standard 3-way...how would you describe the sound?

The price sure is right on the drivers.

Canuck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    I am tempted to do a DIY project using Hi-Vi ribbon tweeters. Hi-Vi drivers are available in Canada from Solen.ca
    Solen.. good idea. I always forget about Solen when i think of getting Speakers. Mostly i think because they don't have a real online shopping cart and its somewhat hard to use. I picked up a pair of Dayton Planar/Ribbon tweeters from a guy for $25US a while back so I'm interested in slapping something together with those one of these days too.

Gershman Acoustics X-1/SW-1 / Odyssey Stratos Extreme Monoblocks / Edge Electronics Si-1m Preamplifier / Sony DVP-NC555ES Transport Modded Caps and Opamps / Pro-Ject Debut II with Shure M97xE / Carver TX-11 Tuner / SonoCable and Harmonic Tech Cabling / Monster Power HTS1000 MKII / Monster Power HTS3500 MKII / Audio Note AN-K/Spe / Radii MSKT88 Monoblocks / SonoSilence One / Akai Reference Master

Very smooth and refined Kex....

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Really Worf? I've been toying with the idea of ordering some of these to put into a large tower - something like the pics here, but just a standard 3-way...how would you describe the sound?

The Epicure I have these drivers in has the ceramic, inverted tweet, the smooth 6" main and a 10" passive. They're now being powered by my vintage Akai 1030 receiver. When I want to listen to pure 2 channel... these are the speakers I listen to. I think these drivers would be great in any project. The only thing that concerns me is that since they're not built like conventional drivers, repair or surgery could be far more complicated. I'd go for it personally...

Da Worfster

Forum Regular
    Hi Ssabripo, and thanks for the kind words. Happy customers make us happy!

I'd also like to say that ssabripo has been a very kind and gracious customer, insofar as we somehow inadvertently shipped him a B-stock 6.1 and are replacing it at our expense as I write this. And may I further say that as a past long-term AudioReview sponsor, The Audio Insider doesn't endorse "shilling" in any way, not here, not anyplace. Nor do we need to.

Ssabripo, if I can help further, please let me know!
    Jon Lane
    The Audio Insider.com

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Please excuse our members for skepticism

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Lane
    Hi Ssabripo, and thanks for the kind words. Happy customers make us happy!

I'd also like to say that ssabripo has been a very kind and gracious customer, insofar as we somehow inadvertently shipped him a B-stock 6.1 and are replacing it at our expense as I write this. And may I further say that as a past long-term AudioReview sponsor, The Audio Insider doesn't endorse "shilling" in any way, not here, not anyplace. Nor do we need to.

Ssabripo, if I can help further, please let me know!
    But I hope after reading the thread in total you can clearly see that nobody EVER put down your customer for liking his speakers. Actually I think what grabbed peoples attention first, at least mine, was how sophisticated the review was. Use of multiple pics, fonts, and animated smiles is NOT a hallmark of a first time poster. It's obvious that besides liking his speakers, the reviewer knows his way around computer code.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Yeah, I gotta admit, with all the talk about internet/factory direct speakers this week, and knowing the quality of drivers in these, I'm anxious to hear some. If anyone in li'l ol' Canada has a pair (or more) lemme know...I'm in most major centers every month, lunch on me!!!

Take a look at these Kex

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc

http://www.partsexpress.com/projects...p-3/index.html

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    But I hope after reading the thread in total you can clearly see that nobody EVER put down your customer for liking his speakers. Actually I think what grabbed peoples attention first, at least mine, was how sophisticated the review was. Use of multiple pics, fonts, and animated smiles is NOT a hallmark of a first time poster. It's obvious that besides liking his speakers, the reviewer knows his way around computer code.
    That's an interesting idea, Geoffcin, however ssabripo probably does what I do and just uses the forum HTML (or whatever its called) to post pics.

I know he spent a long time getting comfy with us and the product and it looks like he's happy enough to share, for which we're, naturally, thankful.
    Jon Lane
    The Audio Insider.com

Forum Regular

I'm not buying it...maybe

I'm gonna catch a lot of heat for this post, but I simply had to speak my mind.

First, I'm not accusing the original poster of exagerating or lying. Since I haven't heard the Diva 6.1's I can't comment directly on them. They look great, and likely sound good, but when we start comparing to B&W designs like the 704/804 which ave exellent mid/high end integration, we need to get a reality check.

Here's my problem: the drivers on the on the Diva 6.1 are rather cheap and can be purchased from Parts Express for $300 - retail, for both speakers. The tweeter for instance on the 6.1 is a $12 driver -retail.

Again, I've heard good speakers using these level of parts, but not great ones, and speakers built with drivers in that price class tend to sound dramatically less even and more choppy than the proprietary driver designs that B&W uses, or the best DIY drivers like ScanSpeak, etc.

Which brings me to the conclusion that if the 6.1's can hold their own against the 704's, then B&W is yanking us and I'll buy the parts for the Diva 6.1 tomorrow. I'm not saying it's not the case, but being reasonably skeptical. The dark side of me hope's it's true.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information