Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    It's just a hobby
    Quote Originally Posted by LVMF
    Spent last weekend with the Joseph Audio RM7Si's, and they deliver a very fine reproduction...a wide soundstage that is enjoyably realistic...a midrange that I would describe as smooth...female vocals are silky smooth and clear...percussion can be a bit harsh, but not overly so...their only shortcoming is the low end; they just can't seem to get there as compared to other speakers in this price range...overall, they have beat the other speakers I've heard to date overall.
    thanks for posting your impressions.

Tuna Lover
    I hooked up my old KEF Reference 102's with a sub and without their equilizer and they sound better than anything I've listened to yet...and I haven't had these out of their box in 10 years! Still waiting onthe de Capo's.

AR Newbie Registered Member

AVI Neutron IV?

http://www.avihifi.co.uk/NuNeutron%2...tron%20IV.html

I just heard these this past weekend, and I was absolutely floored. They may be hard to listen to for you unless you live in the southeastern MI area though.

Has anyone else heard these speakers yet? My local HiFi dealer just started to carry the AVI brand. I believe these speakers are in the $1,000 range.

Quote Originally Posted by LVMF
    I'm looking for recommendations for bookshelf speakers up to a max of $3k...that's the budget, but as we all know more expensive doesn't always mean better with speakers. Unfortuneately I don't have room for floorstanders or a sub-woofer, and don't really need the shake the house bass, but by the same token don't not want something close.

Power is coming from a Musical Fidelity X-150...and they will be used 95% of the time for music, all genres.

I've spent the past 3 months demo'ing Monitor Audio S2's and Gold 10's...they were too sterile for me, at least with the MF amp. I also spent a couple of weeks with the B & W 805's, and they didn't sound as good at home as in the store.

I prefer a warm sound (who doesn't for the most part) and have determined to get this right, no reason to hurry.

So what would you recommend as options...and thanks for the help!!

Tuna Lover
    100 hours into break-in of de Capo i's...so far they are hands down winners, without reaching the $3K threshold...more to come

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Very nice speakers indeed - the Reference 3a.

Forum Regular
    I'm in the same boat as you man. Except that I don't have quite as much cash. I have been auditioning all kinds of bookshelfs in the $1,000.00 range and today I think I found what I was looking for. I heard the Quad 11L and 12L and I was blown away. These are both extremly musical speakers, they seemed to reproduce each sound in the music just as it had been recorded, without added characteristics. The 12L was most impresive to me because, in addition to its lower frequency extension, it had a more open and less congested sound. And, just to top it off, these speakers are gorgeous. They come in several different wood grains, all with high gloss finishes. The cabinets are well constructed and are of resonable size. I was impresed and I think you will be too. I highly recomend you take a listen.

Also, I have been impressed with the ProAc Response 1SC. It was a bit out of my price range, but it seems to fall into yours, so you might want to take a look.

Goodluck.
    -Shwamdoo

Tuna Lover
    The 'musical' aspect seems to be lost on most speaker manufacturers, but it's obviously in the 'ears of the listener' as well. Most of the speakers I demo'd had vocals way out in front of the rest of the sound, and for the life of me I can't figure out why.

I had listened to a pair of used Quads, but they were almost out of my budget; the room didn't help the sound and they wouldn't let me have them for a weekend, so....they lost.

I didn't listen to the Reference 3A's smaller moniter, the Dulcet, but it's in your price range. Audiogon has a used pair of the 'original' de Capo's at a great price as well.
    Internationl Audio/Video Review speaks of them here...
    http://www.iar-80.com/page65.html

Most of the speakers just didn't sound like I was listening to the original recording or instruments...but hey, that's why there's oranges and apples! Good luck.
    Last edited by LVMF; 02-21-2005 at 03:22 PM. Reason: add url

Tuna Lover
    Well, the Reference 3A De Capo's it is...review to follow.
    Thanks for all your suggestions, not a bad one in the bunch!
    ...better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt. Abe Lincoln

Tuna Lover
    What a long strage trip its been...The de Capo's are boxed up and ready to ship.

The wife didn't like them and made me go buy some floorstanders, ended up with Jamo D450's. Sold the MF-150 and X-ray, ended up LOVING tubes. Now that system is being powered by an Eastern Electric M 520, with too much $$$ in tube upgrades.

A basement system started up with the last youngin' living in the big city, waiting on a 2A3 to be built. Power by either a Sonic Fronteirs SFS-40 or AES Super 25, Melos Sha-Gold preamp, and First Horn speakers by Atelier Audio in Canada. The de Capo's weren't quite efficient enough for the DIY 2A3 I tried, and probably should have kept them as one day I'll want them back and I'd bet the amp was the problem. The First Horns are a nice full range single-driver speaker, love the single-driver sound.
    Thanks to everyone who made recommendations....

L'wood
    ...better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt. Abe Lincoln

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information