Forum Regular

Best smaller Sub under $300 (used ok) for use with NHT Super Ones

I almost got an Energy e:XL-S8 off ebay for around $130, but I lost (barely). There are no more up for sale at this time, so i'm considering other options (hopefully better subs). I've been considering the HSU Research STF-1, which is $315 including shipping direct from HSU. I know this sub is better than the Energy, but I'm not sure over double the price (of a used Energy) is worth it. Also i liked the fact that the Energy was so tiny, since this system will be in my bedroom.. Both subs have similar specs, although i'd bet that the HSU sounds better. I can't justify to myself to spend over twice as much for something that is not significantly better, so I'm kinda stuck at this point. Any recommendation for a smaller sub under $300 (new) or under $250 (used from ebay, shipping included) that would be a good match for my NHT Super One speakers. By the way, this is for a setup devoted 95% of the time to music (mostly metal).

Forum Regular
    wat mostly makes a sub good is its ability to react very fast to music....i think that in general for smaller rooms small 8 or 10 inch subs work very well. a small sub has the ability to have a low power amp and still be able to be controled well, becuase of its smaller size. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...Name=WDVW&rd=1 i dont own this sub but i have a set of e80s and plan on getting the 12" model of it....i have herd very good things about this sub. hope this helps

Forum Regular
    Any other opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by eighthcircuit
    Any other opinions?
    HSU STF-1 driver is at the bottom ,where your bedroom ? Its a good price for it if there no problem.I have a small JBL PB8 and the driver is at bottom (this one is in basement) .Got it for free at Best Buy when I bought a pair of Jbl bookself speaker .Pat.P

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by PAT.P
    HSU STF-1 driver is at the bottom ,where your bedroom ? Its a good price for it if there no problem.
    I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. Are you asking whether a downfiring sub will be a problem for my bedroom?

Quote Originally Posted by eighthcircuit
    I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. Are you asking whether a downfiring sub will be a problem for my bedroom?
    Thats what Im asking ,if your bedroom on top of another room is this going to be a problem?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by PAT.P
    Thats what Im asking ,if your bedroom on top of another room is this going to be a problem?
    Oh ok. No, that won't be a problem.

Thread Information