Thread: Super Bowl

Super Bowl

I think everyone I talked to thought Philly would be here - I had a feeling Carolina could beat them, but nobody I talked to agreed. Well, now we've got a another parity-bred Super Bowl with two teams that weren't supposed to be there. Who picked Carolina or the Patriots to be here at the beginning of the year? Wasn't it supposed to be Tennesse/Colts/Pittsburgh vs Philly/Rams/Bucs? I love this - Philly, the media darlings got kicked in the groin (or should I say the ribs), and showed once again that being a media darling doesn't make you a Super Bowl participant. I must say I do feel bad for the fans. That's gotta suck. To have the entire sports world praising your team all year, only to have it all ripped away from you at the end from a team that nobody even talked about all year.... hey, gotta love the underdog.

Now, for the Super Bowl prediction - as well as both defenses played, you gotta give the edge to the Patriots. They held an offense that seemed to be the most dangerous to only two touchdowns. I'm not sure the Panthers could do that. Carolina doesn't have a frightening offense, and I think New England will show that. However, I also think that Carolina will do a great job against the Patriots. Though I think the Patriots should win this game, I'd have to root for Carolina - partly because I'd love to see Brady's team get burned by a "tuck-rule"-type of call, and partly because I like to see new teams do well against the odds. It's nice to see fresh stars emerge.

JSE
    Patriots: 27

Panthers: 17

JSE: 12 (beers)

Good guess - I'd say maybe a little closer. Maybe 24-20, Patriots. But I could also see Panthers pulling out a 24-21 upset! I don't know... should be fun to watch.

Forum Regular

Angry Chris, you're right, being an Eagles fan does suck!

It's not just the Eagles though, it's all Philly teams. Can't win the big one. I'm used to it by now, and I actually expect to lose at some point. I wouldn't have been surprised to lose to Green Bay last week. Being a fan of a Philly team, you know they won't win it all, it's just a matter of when will the lose. I feel worse for my three teenage sons, who don't understand yet why Philly always has to lose. I just tell them to get used to it. I have to give credit to the Panthers. I told my sons at halftime of the Rams/Panthers game that I was rooting for the Rams because they would have been an easier opponant, IMHO. That being said, I also told them that it didn't matter who won the championship games, the AFC would win the Super Bowl. I think either the Pats/Colts could beat either the Eagles/Panthers. I'm sticking with that, although I wouldn't say the Panthers don't have a chance. I will say that if these two teams played 10 times I think the Pats would win 7or 8 of them. However, on any given Sunday......

My Pick:

Patriots- 17
    Panthers- 10

Hey man, I do sympathize for the Eagles fans - you keep getting let down by your team. At least you have some good management that puts good teams together every year. It seems you guys are just missing one piece somewhere - and a little bit of luck. I would be happy that you have a good quarterback worth building around, and that every year, you guys have something worth looking forward to.

Imagine being a Raiders fan (like myself) and knowing that the team owner wouldn't think twice about moving the team if he could, we'll likely not have another contending team for some time, we let go the only coach who could probably have helped us win the super bowl, and no other good coaches want to coach our team.... be happy man. Only one team can be the best every year - you guys are right near the top - that's nice to know in itself. I know it sucks when you don't win it all, but Cardinal/Jaguar/Charger fans sure can't see why you're so down. Most people just want their team to be in contention year in and year out and regarded highly like the Eagles have been. At least there's a reason to go to the games - some excitement every year for you. With free agency, you guys can come back again next year, as long as you have key players to build around like McNabb and your running backs. My team is hurting at every position, and our salary cap-guru GM just left. I'd love to be an Eagles fan right now!

Forum Regular

So there is a ray of hope.

I firmly believe that the Eagles are capable of getting to this point....and lose again next year. Our great QB is not so great in big games. 3 NFC championship games: 5 INTs, 3 fumbles, 1 touchdown pass. Not such great stats. I'm not laying all the blame on McNabb, but he's a big boy in a big spot and he can handle it. McNabb and Peyton Manning will never really get any respect until they win big. They both can play great until all the marbles are on the table. It seems the current blueprint to win in the NFL doesn't favor a 'star' quarterback. Gone are the days of Montana, Elway and Farve. The current fade is to get a great defense and a QB who doesn't make mistakes. The QB position no longer has to make big plays, just limit mistakes. Manning and McNabb (M&M) get the press, but Delhomme and Brady are playing in the Super Bowl. M&M go out and try to make big plays, like they do during the season. When they run into a great defense, they make critical mistakes trying to make a play. Delhomme did nothing special, but he didn't turn the ball over. Just like Dilfer, Brady, Warner and other unheralded QB's in recent Super Bowls. Offense puts fans in the stands, but defense wins championships. The Patriots and the Panthers have proved that once again.
    In today's NFL, with free agency, the window of opportunity opens and closes very quickly. You either take advantage of it or you don't. There is no guarentee that the Eagles won't tank next year (unfortunately like your Raiders). The NFC East is getting tougher with the Cowboys coming on, and Joe Gibbs and Tom Coughlin coming in to rebuild the Redskins and Giants respectively.

At least the Raiders have won a Super Bowl, even more than one. I remember the Eagles made it to the Super Bowl....once.....and lost.....to those f$&*ing Raiders. LOL. What does it feel like to win it all? I'm 43 and still don't know. Will my kids?

Regards,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    Who picked Carolina or the Patriots to be here at the beginning of the year?
    I did!

I'm a lifelong Pats fan, so I'm feeling pretty good right now. I agree about "on any given Sunday"... football can be a crazy game, and a few miscues or bad bounces can derail the better team. Even bad teams upset good teams throughout the season... and these are both good teams. Whats amazing about this Pats team is all the injuries to great players they've had this season.... more than ANY other NFL team, and by a large margin, yet they've overcome all that. In pre-season I thought the Pats could be one of the top-10 teams in the NFL, make a post season berth, and have a shot at the SB. But after the Milloy trade and opening 31-0 loss to the Bills, I wondered if 8-8 might be more realistic.... LOL. You have to give em credit, even though some of those wins were toss-ups.

Quote Originally Posted by Justlisten2
    The QB position no longer has to make big plays, just limit mistakes.
    I'll agree that limiting mistakes (turnovers) is THE most important stat when it comes to wins losses. But I disagree that you still don't also need your QB to make big plays... perhaps not a slew of em... but he (postseason success QB's) still has to be way above the average QB when it comes to making very difficult passes, whether they be exact timing patterns or throwing to the 3'rd or 4'th option on a broken play, or gunning a pass between 2 defenders in crucial 3'rd down situations. Those QB's often get overlooked because they don't have the bigger stats. Perfect example is Brady vs Manning. Manning probably has more outright talent, but Brady gets 100% out of himself. Montana & Flutie (& Larry Bird) played the same way. There's was a high mental edge they played with & were always at 100% in concentration & emotion... a tough task even for many pro athletes.

The current fade is to get a great defense and a QB who doesn't make mistakes
    I don't think that's new at all, certainly isnt' a fad... but it might seem that way because it's very difficult to get enough good players and a coach/system to impose such a defensive style. If you can get the players to run it up the gut for 5 yards every play... that's what you'll do... if you can get the players to pass almost every down, that's what you'll do; but there just aren't enough players that you can accumulate on one team to do either of those 3 things, so most teams try to do all 3 the best they can. Any sports fan knows defense is THE most important part of winning in any sport, always has been, period.

I agree you have to take advantage of the opportunities cause you just don't get many. Brady is very hip to that... as young as he is, he's wise enough to realize that (& has taken the steps & work to be 100% ready). If NE plays their A-game they'll be OK... but doing that isn't always so easy. Just one more guys! Go Pats!
    You don't know... jack

Forum Regular

While in Vegas...

I put money on the under, I won.

Carolina: 10
    New England: 24
    Remember, different isn't always better, but it is different.
    Keep things as simple as possible, but not too simple.
    Let your ears decide for you!

At least the Raiders have won a Super Bowl, even more than one. I remember the Eagles made it to the Super Bowl....once.....and lost.....to those f$&*ing Raiders. LOL. What does it feel like to win it all? I'm 43 and still don't know. Will my kids?

Regards,
    John
    Well, the excitement of your team making it there is awesome! Having them win it? Hell, I remember it being great, but that was 20 years ago... kind of tough to remember.

Thread Information