Page 59 of 129 FirstFirst ... 9 49 57 58 59 60 61 69 109 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,475 of 3221
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: What is spinning?

Chuck Prophet: Soap and Water

Odd one here. I used to like Chuck's old band, Green on Red, but never knew who the members were or anything back then, so had no idea there was a connection to this fella until seeing it mentioned recently. I figured I outta give him a listen eventually and got a nice Easter surprise when a family member handed me this disc yesterday. He still sounds a bit ragged and rough....still doesn't quite fit into either the country or rock field...seems to throw even more into the final mix these days...and so far I'm still liking the guy.

Sounds interesting and got my to pull my only Chuck Prophet disc to give it a spin. And very nice it is. Quality songwriting throughout. I've heard this album referred to as Swamp Rock, and I think that is a pretty good description for a work that is in a genre all of its own.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

You just never know what you arre gonna find out there...

I hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Peace out!

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    You just never know what you arre gonna find out there...

I hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Peace out!
    Sweet!!!!
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Got back from a weekend soujourn to find the mailbox packed with goodies...just to be added to the rest. Probably thirty or so new shiny discs to be heard...I don't think it'd go over to well taking another few days of vaca, but it's gonna be a good week nonetheless.
    Thanks to those who contributed. The day has consisted of Herbie and Bela, Mum and "Glarious", and now a little avantgarde jazz a la Eric Dolphy-meets-Kraftwerk in the form of The Chicago Underground Quartet.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    Sweet!!!!
    It's a great album, and gotta love a clean slab of wax on Verve. i have yet to be dissapointed. Well maybe Arthur Prysock. Just didnt find his voice seductive.

NP: The Kajmere Sound Vol. 1

This is probably the best Neo-Soul/Funk Compliation I've heard in a while. I think I'll check out their label for more.

Speaking of Funk, anyone heard of Lonnie Liston Smith?

JRA

Earl Klugh

I was out yesterday rummaging thru some vinyl at a second hand book store and came across Earl Klughs "Late Night Guitar". I have never heard much from him in the past but his acoustical guitar work on this is amazing. Not fast or fancy, just played to perfection IMHO

BTW, where are you guys getting the album art to post, inquiring minds wanna know????
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Luvin Da Blues; 04-03-2008 at 09:13 AM. Reason: add art work

I was out yesterday rummaging thru some vinyl at a second hand book store and came across Earl Klughs "Late Night Guitar". I have never heard much from him in the past but his acoustical guitar work on this is amazing. Not fast or fancy, just played to perfection IMHO

BTW, where are you guys getting the album art to post, inquiring minds wanna know????
    Google Image Search... Whatchu use? I had to take a pic of Lane Renaud cuz no one listens to that crap....it's actually nice.

Earl Klughs? I had a couple of LP by him, but it's in that..."I Might Get to it One Day" pile. I think I'll spinning it if I have enough time tonight.

Peace out

Google Image Search... Whatchu use? I had to take a pic of Lane Renaud cuz no one listens to that crap....it's actually nice.

Earl Klughs? I had a couple of LP by him, but it's in that..."I Might Get to it One Day" pile. I think I'll spinning it if I have enough time tonight.

Peace out
    Thanks Kazoo, I'm not using anything, that's why I ask.

Iffen ya likes smooth acoustical fusion jazz, Klughs your man.

Cheers Mon Ami.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    I'm going to start viewing this thread. If for no other reason than to help it reach 100,000 views! It's getting close to 50K now.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    A little Sally Ellyson seemed like the thing to do today...sincere and evocative.

So I'm a little late to the party...I LOVE that album.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I'm going to start viewing this thread. If for no other reason than to help it reach 100,000 views! It's getting close to 50K now.
    Kewl, come on in, kick back, put your feet up and enjoy.

LDB

BTW, finally staring to warm up a bit out east eh.

Kewl, come on in, kick back, put your feet up and enjoy.

LDB

BTW, finally staring to warm up a bit out east eh.
    Thanks. Its 9C right now and supposed to reach double digits on Saturday and then stay there (well, during daylight anyway). Tomorrow's forecasted rain should rid us of the last of the snow. At this rate we'll be golfing by the end of the month. It's been a long winter this year.

Now spinning, a Riverside demo that someone burned for me. Fusiony progressive rock putting me in a nice groove as I put the finishing touches on a new marketing piece that I'm working on.

OK....I'll help grow that number...

Talking Heads: '77

This sparse tense debut along with Fear of Music are my favorite Talking Heads albums by a band that covered a whole lotta ground in their time. Psycho Killer is their first little mini-masterpiece of a song.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    The more the merrier. I've gotten alot of strong album recs from this thread. OTOH, you can find great stuff all over the site, like Ray Davies' Working Man's Cafe, which came from Tamer or one of those other characters. Great stuff.

Pink Moon by Nick Drake.

Man, you guys gotta go grab this box set while you still can. One thing though, it looks like guys at pressing plant has been playing with grease... Good thing I steam clean my LP.

Last night, I enjoyed:

Schhradaze by Leopold Stokowski and London Symphony Orchestra on London Decca.

JRA

Suspended
    Steam clean? You're joking right? It would seem like that method, if it exists, would cause some warping. If you aren't joking, how do you do that?

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Pink Moon by Nick Drake.

Man, you guys gotta go grab this box set while you still can. One thing though, it looks like guys at pressing plant has been playing with grease... Good thing I steam clean my LP.

Last night, I enjoyed:

Schhradaze by Leopold Stokowski and London Symphony Orchestra on London Decca.

JRA

I am going to Wal Greens to get my steam unit. It looks just like the one in the MapleShade cataloge or catalogue for FA. Good tip and thanks JRA.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Suspended
    I've got one listen of Mike Oldfield's, Music of the Spheres behind me. This is his latest and it's a Classical piece. It does have signature influences from Tubular Bells. Nice Classical guitar in places, some serious low bass from percussion in a couple places, and even a bit of choral and female vocals. I read her name some place but forgot, very good suprano. I liked it and you all might find it interesting. After I threw on TB while in the Oldfield mood.

Yesterday I listened to a new CD Phideaux, Fiendish. I liked them quite a bit. I don't know much about them, my first album from the band. Sort of a Alternative Prog Folk?

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Andreas Scholl

Wayfaring Stranger

Folksongs

Orpheus Chamber Orchestra

This cd is so beautiful. The voice of an angel. The face of Adonis.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Forum Regular
    Photobucket

Forum Regular

Oooops, meant to write on the last post.

Just trying to figure out how to post the images, with the help of the teenaged son of course.

Anyway, a college kid at work turned me onto this and I dig it. Harkens me back to 901 and Phil Manzanera, Fripp and eno electronica.

What ever happened to that guy? Manzanera that is.

thereyet

Forum Regular
    Oh geeez, did I say 901, I must have been thinking about blue jeans. Meant to say 801.

Just googled P. Manzanera and he is apparently working on a soon to be released instrumental album Firebird VII. I will have to look out for that.

thereyet

Has anyone here had any luck on getting older Soloman Burke on LP that is not severely damaged? Oh well.

I highly recommend:

Lonnie Liston Smith

Wanda Jackson: The Very Best of the Country Years

Sure, Wanda's the Queen of Rockabilly and deserves her reputation as a woman who could rock it out before women were rocking it out. But, she was also a fine traditional country singer for most of her career. While lots of compilations dig out all the rockabilly tunes, often buried in releases of mostly country tunes or featured on split singles with a country tune on the other side, this one focuses on her country material. The songs here range from 1958 to 1972, skipping some of her earliest work. If you've become a fan through her rockabilly side, you may wanna hear what else she was up to and what she actually spent more time recording than the handful of straight up rockabilly tunes she's become known for, and that's not even mentioning her gospel records. They do toss in a live version of Let's Have A Party at the end to make sure you remember who this is. And, those of you ladies trying to watch your booze intake, check out A Girl Don't Have To Drink To Have Fun.

Page 59 of 129 FirstFirst ... 9 49 57 58 59 60 61 69 109 ... LastLast

Thread Information