Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr MidFi
    Unless you're a schoolish pedant with an overweening sense of numerical propriety, this decade will be drawing to a close in just a few short months. I, for one, can't believe it's gone this quickly. But now comes the time to put up or shut up... your Top 10 Discs for the Decade of the Aughts!

I can't do it.................................first, I've got to figure out if you are telling me the first decade was years 1 through 9.

42 Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterCylinder
    I can't do it.................................first, I've got to figure out if you are telling me the first decade was years 1 through 9.
    Jan. 1, 2000 thru Dec. 31, 2009.

I mentioned the schoolish pedantry thing because some folks don't consider it a proper start of the decade until Jan. 1, 2001.

But that's the sort of foolishness up with I shall not put.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Forum Regular
    But that's the sort of foolishness up with I shall not put.
    Is that so ?.......................Your "join date" reflects that you have been putting up with foolishness since Jan., 2003.

42 Regular
    I've always been puzzled by that "join date" in my profile. Because I know I've been here far longer than that.

I hung out for years on the General board before I started posting here. I remember I was a regular there when 9/11/01 went down, for example.

Anyway, I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment. And I apologize to the ghost of Winston Churchill for stealing his "up with I shall not put" line.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    I've always been puzzled by that "join date" in my profile. Because I know I've been here far longer than that.

I hung out for years on the General board before I started posting here. I remember I was a regular there when 9/11/01 went down, for example.

Anyway, I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment. And I apologize to the ghost of Winston Churchill for stealing his "up with I shall not put" line.
    The system changed a couple of times back then. For one of the major changes I think we had to re-register which gave many of us a new "join date".

Yeah, I've been here since 1849 . . .

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin
    The system changed a couple of times back then. For one of the major changes I think we had to re-register which gave many of us a new "join date".

That sounds correct.................I got here sometime in early 98.
    I found the forum looking for reviews on gear.............and found it.

Mine shows 11/03 and I was also around on 9/11/01...

...and recall J's lengthy posts describing the scene in and around ground zero. As best I can recall, I was here several years prior to that. Perhaps 1998 or 1999. Too bad they couldn't preserve our original registration dates, just for the sake of knowing.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    ...and recall J's lengthy posts describing the scene in and around ground zero. As best I can recall, I was here several years prior to that. Perhaps 1998 or 1999. Too bad they couldn't preserve our original registration dates, just for the sake of knowing.
    yeah, I remember those posts. I don't think they're even in the archive now. What a shame. Even though not audio related, they provided unique perspective on an historical event and were very much worth saving.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    yeah, I remember those posts. I don't think they're even in the archive now. What a shame. Even though not audio related, they provided unique perspective on an historical event and were very much worth saving.
    They might still be around. I think Dusty or Finche pulled 'em up a couple of years ago...I remember reading those threads and being a mess afterwards...it would be a shame if you were gone.

You're right Deano, I remember those as being some very poignant firsthand accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    They might still be around. I think Dusty or Finche pulled 'em up a couple of years ago...I remember reading those threads and being a mess afterwards...it would be a shame if you were gone.

You're right Deano, I remember those as being some very poignant firsthand accounts.
    I ran a couple of searches (nothing too involved, mind you) using "world trade center" and "twin towers" as search terms which didn't return anything older than 2003.

Might have to pm a mod about accessing archived posts.

(p.s. sorry to all for going so far off topic)

Well, I wasn't exactly IN Ground Zero, but I did write up a couple of emails that I guess would be similar to what we now know as blog posts. I was only down here a couple of times in the weeks following 9/11, but obviously something like that makes a rather profound impression. No more or less so than the shock most felt, regardless of the distance, by what they saw on television, but heck, seeing it with one's own eyes while the fires were still burning...I still don't really have words.

Now that I live here, around the corner, let's just say the frustration is multiplied that not only can nothing be built, they still can't seem to take down the two buildings that were too contaminated to save. That there was a fire in the Deutsche Bank Building was an absolute disgrace; that two firefighters died because the hoses had been cut is enough to make one rather angry, let's just say.

I wrote a lot of things in emails following 9/11, to friends and family, all of it archived; I have not looked at most of it in a long time. The two pieces from when I came down here in the weeks following the attack are fairly easily accessible and I could share them upon request, if anyone wants to read that sort of thing. I also have a photo of 5 WTC when it was still standing,, but that's the only one, as I wasn't too into bringing the camera down with me from uptown, where I then lived--too ghoulish. Obviously this board, and this thread in particular, aren't the place for this sort of thing, but if you have interest in what I've got, send me a PM. My only request would be that you refrain from re-posting--I'm not particularly interested in seeing this stuff put up anywhere in particular. It just wasn't what I had in mind. But I'd be happy to share what I've got if anyone wants to see it.

The photos I have from recent years that I do actually enjoy sharing are of the annual "Tribute In Light," which is beamed from the top of the Battery Garage, across West St. from where I live. It's an impressive sight.

I don't like others.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    I also failed to list The Thrills - So Much for the City, a cd that few on here, if any, ever mentioned, but I think they caught lightning in a bottle.
    Interesting that you mention that. I tried to get a few people here interested in The Thrills when Let's Bottle Bohemia came out. I thought that it would be right up people's alley, but it just never seemed to garner much interest.

I haven't heard So Much for the City.

sunshine came softly Monkey Bones's Avatar
    I ran a couple of searches (nothing too involved, mind you) using "world trade center" and "twin towers" as search terms which didn't return anything older than 2003.

Might have to pm a mod about accessing archived posts.

(p.s. sorry to all for going so far off topic)
    If you google the following you can access the 9/11 threads from the old pre-vBulletin archive ...

wtc "sep 11, 2001" site:archive.audioreview.com

Or just click http://www.google.com/search?q=wtc+%...udioreview.com

BTW, that new Richmond Fontaine "We Used To Think The Freeway Sounded Like A River" record I mentioned up above someplace has been snaking up towards best of the year for me. Excellent, probably my favorite from these guys yet. Good mix of their earlier and more raucous alt-country sound, with the more fleshed out lyrics and storytelling from their later ones. Some very cool musical touches too, as always with some of that mariachi flavor, maybe integrated even more in this one. Very cool, even some saw on a couple songs providing an eerie backdrop. Quality stuff from one of the best Americana bands around, and the music on this one just seems so well integrated with the words and vocals. Highly recommended if you like Wilco and Calexico and Lucinda Williams and all that load, and don't mind stories you know right away probably aren't gonna have anything like a happy ending.
    Last edited by Monkey Bones; 09-17-2009 at 08:37 AM.
    Here comes midnight, with the dead moon in its jaw ...

Love the avi, Monkey-D...been enjoying the leaks released by the Sloshy one...gonna have to grab that one...

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    been enjoying the leaks released by the Sloshy one...
    must be nice

Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Love the avi, Monkey-D...been enjoying the leaks released by the Sloshy one...gonna have to grab that one...
    Yea, know what you mean. I'm a huge Califone and RRM fan, and I really do love it all, but this is one of their best yet, combining all the crazy weird-ass shit they do so well, with pocketfuls of cool laidback tunes. Choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Bones
    No argument from me, nice list.

Was just reading the NPR review of Signal Morning. Pretty nice words, and they have all the tracks up there for a listen too. "Obliterated guitars", love it

Opening para...

It took nearly eight years to make, but Circulatory System's breathtakingly inventive new album, Signal Morning, justifies the wait. The 17 new tracks, culled from hours of recorded material and meticulously pieced together in more than half a dozen different studios, are sonic wonders. Obliterated guitars rumble over strange, fluttering textures. Vintage synth lines and quirky found sounds tumble together amid psychedelic melodies and harmonies. It's a mysterious and mesmerizing world of orchestrated chaos that offers new discoveries with each listen.

Nice new 9/10 review up at PopMatters, it does take awhile to get [mal]adjusted to a record like this. Cool to see it catching on with many. Gold will stay.

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/review/...ignal-morning/

Quote Originally Posted by 3LB
    must be nice

Didn't think you'd be interested . Got The Black Heart Procession leak too. I would say keep this quiet but who looks at this site anyway?
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Quote Originally Posted by noddin0ff
    I wanted to propose an End of Decade compilation contest to run with the year end comps.

One or two songs per year, sequenced in chronological order. Any interest?
    Over the course of the next couple days I'm gonna take a look at this. I'm thinkin' I can come with something off-the-beaten-path, even in this off-the-beaten-path group...

Okay...I've examined the archives...pretty sure I can do a two-disc set of the "Remnants on Y2k"...and I can do it without touching any of Davey, Slosh's, or Tamer's picks...

...that should leave plenty of room for one or two dedicated individuals to produce some magic...I think it'd be cool if several folks hopped on this...might jumpstart us at least in the direction of the glory days...

..in any case, I'll be organising it with a mind to send the product out early next week.

You want in? Holla if ya hear me....

Wow...overwhelming response...

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Wow...overwhelming response...
    Ok, ok. Pitty click. I'm in.

Actually I'll be looking forward to it. Started mine already; it's dang hard to avoid previous comp picks though.

Lol...I can always count on Noddy for the pity-click...

Good to read that you're doin' yer own too...

I don't know how eager folks are to collaborate on comps with Moderators...

I don't like others.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information