Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MindGoneHaywire
    I don't know how eager folks are to collaborate on comps with Moderators...
    Seriously?

I have a couple year history of sending out well thought out, artistic, flowing pieces that peeps generally hate. Knock me around but I ain't that lawdawg...

I'm just the guy that deletes SPAM...

Yeah, but you've got Steve Borden in yr avatar & Swish sez you're a weirdo.

Just sayin'...

I don't like others.

Quote Originally Posted by MindGoneHaywire
    Yeah, but you've got Steve Borden in yr avatar & Swish sez you're a weirdo.

Just sayin'...
    LMAO!!...it's Brandon Lee, dammit...and Swish is a weirdo...lol, y'all do what ya want...there will be good music available...

I know I can knock out a bunch of these comps in no time flat. The problem is when you're talking about a best of decade mix then all the songs are well-known (at least by this group) and will generate zero interest.

A few days ago I had a little reunion with most of my college roommates and most of them were clueless per music released since we graduated so I filled up a CD-R with V0 mp3s yesterday in an attempt to bring them somewhat up to speed (97 songs).

I can't understand how anyone who likes music could not have heard of Spoon, Wilco, etc. especially when a few of them were in or had their own bands.
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    I know I can knock out a bunch of these comps in no time flat. The problem is when you're talking about a best of decade mix then all the songs are well-known (at least by this group) and will generate zero interest.
    :
    I don't know about zero interest. I recognize your point but at the same time would contend that a comp is a progression. Yes, I might already own a fair degree of the overall catelogue but take interest in the manner in which y'all mix it up.

I like to examine the choices and the flow of people's mixes. I prefer it when the selections are a bit out of the ordinary, complilations of songs that i might not necessarily put together myself. In any case, I choose to proceed....we gotta start somewhere...

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar

I can't understand how anyone who likes music could not have heard of Spoon, Wilco, etc. especially when a few of them were in or had their own bands.
    So what I hear you saying is you're not up to the challenge?

Aside from that dig, I like music but still could not name a single Spoon song with confidence. Granted, I'm not quite the livin'-in-the-river-of-music type that many on this board are. I don't get out much I suppose. But, I do think you've got a point in that this board has a set of focused musical interests that dominate. It's hard to step too far out side of the currents here.

Well...it's not hard, steppin out just gets ignored. critical mass and all. Still, the rare choice selections I find here drive a fair amount of my music purchases and I'm always game for something new, either sound or perspective. Hit me with you best shot, worst is it could be ignored. Lord knows, I put a bunch of my comps in that category.

Quote Originally Posted by noddin0ff
    So what I hear you saying is you're not up to the challenge?
    All right, here's the deluxe 2-disc set.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

Part 7

Part 8

Part 9

Part 10

Part 11
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

...and Slosh throws down.

Yeah, Big Daddy...that's what I'm talkembout...'course I expect a hard copy...and I'll extend you and erebody else the same courtesy.... gonna be a good year....

All right, here's the deluxe 2-disc set.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

Part 7

Part 8

Part 9

Part 10

Part 11

BTW...I can still make a two-disc compy, completely without any of your selections, tha at least one other person on the planet wil enjoy....mebbe even Swishy....

I can make a 1 disk mini CD that will please me. But, I remain undeterred.

Yeah, I'm stupid. Note to self: 2000 was the final year of the 20th century.

Yeah, I'm stupid. Note to self: 2000 was the final year of the 20th century.
    If that's the case, we're a year early on this discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    If that's the case, we're a year early on this discussion.
    Yes and no. This thread is really about the 00's thus 2000-2009 = ten years.

Yes and no. This thread is really about the 00's thus 2000-2009 = ten years.
    But the subject line said "decade". If the century starts in 2001, then surely the decade starts in 2001.

42 Regular
    But the subject line said "decade". If the century starts in 2001, then surely the decade starts in 2001.
    And the very first sentence of the OP says:
    "Unless you're a schoolish pedant with an overweening sense of numerical propriety, this decade will be drawing to a close in just a few short months."

I was really hoping to head off this sort of thing, because I had my fill of it 10 years ago. In common parlance, the "decade" is defined as those years within a century having the same digit in the second slot from the right. No one talks about 1980 as being part of "the 70s". Yes, I know the counter-arguments. And I'm still not interested, after all these years.

BTW... very nice looking set you got there, Sloshy. It includes several tracks that I would seriously consider for just such a comp. I'll get around to throwing one together someday, but not quite now. Too much going on.

Oh, and when I do, I'll be able to get it down to a single disc. Cuz dat's how I roll, man.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

I finally got around to burning these songs to CD-R yesterday. I had to alter the sequencing slightly to get everything on two discs. Disc 1 looks like this:

As you can see this will require a slight overburn (which Nero did without any fuss).

Disc 2 was a little easier:

Needless to say these must be burned gaplessly (which is how you should always burn anyway).

Am I pissing in the wind?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MidFi
    And the very first sentence of the OP says:
    "Unless you're a schoolish pedant with an overweening sense of numerical propriety, this decade will be drawing to a close in just a few short months."

I was really hoping to head off this sort of thing, because I had my fill of it 10 years ago. In common parlance, the "decade" is defined as those years within a century having the same digit in the second slot from the right. No one talks about 1980 as being part of "the 70s". Yes, I know the counter-arguments. And I'm still not interested, after all these years.
    Actually...I was only playing devil's advocate to Slosh's comment about the year 2000. This thread went off the tracks two pages ago. Can't see any need to single me out.

42 Regular
    Actually...I was only playing devil's advocate to Slosh's comment about the year 2000. This thread went off the tracks two pages ago. Can't see any need to single me out.
    Wasn't really serious, man. Sorry if I came off overly pissy!

I was going to jump on Slosh, but he's the sensitive type and I didn't want to upset his applecart. Besides, we're birthday buddies!
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EX6JCURJ

Well, alrighty then....played around with that Megaupload thingy and here we have the "AR y2k+ DEC"...I started off with two lists of ten--the "main" one and remnants--but elected to merge the duo into one comprehensive package...
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Just for the record, the playlist includes:

Loudon Wainwright ~ Prince Hal's Dirge
    Pinback ~ X.I.Y.
    Songs:Ohia ~ Blue Chicago Moon
    Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds ~ Bring It On
    The Pogues ~ Dirty Old Town
    Andrew Bird ~ Fake Palindromes
    Calexico ~ Nom de Plume
    Silver Jews ~ Party Barge
    Arctic Monkeys ~ Balaclava
    Woven Hand ~ Quiet Night of Quiet Stars
    Medeski, Martin & Wood ~ Partido Alto
    Dr. John ~ Monkey and Baboon
    Alison Krauss ~ Choctaw Hayride
    Damian Marley ~ Pimpa's Paradise
    Van Morrison ~ This Has Got To Stop
    Sharon Jones & the Daptones ~ Let Them Knock
    Eli "Paperboy" Reed ~ I'm Gonna Get You Back
    The Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band ~ You're Cousin's on Cops
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

I wanna get some of that juice Monkey Bones has running in the veins. But in the meantime, the Ex Lion Tamer is of course totally and inconrtrovertibly correct in saying that the Wrens put out one of the absolutely fucking greatest records of the decade. And if today is the playlist, Wrens are the player.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey View Post
    I wanna get some of that juice Monkey Bones has running in the veins. But in the meantime, the Ex Lion Tamer is of course totally and inconrtrovertibly correct in saying that the Wrens put out one of the absolutely fucking greatest records of the decade. And if today is the playlist, Wrens are the player.
    Hmmm. Well, I do like it, but not quite that much.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Swish View Post
    Hmmm. Well, I do like it, but not quite that much.
    Well yea, that's what I thought too, and maybe it was just a good day all around, but sure sounded nice. The beauty of music, there's always a new way to hear it, and sometimes a new appreciation comes when everything is in the right place.

Just realized this list was from the '00's.

Had my Ipod on shuffle while working in the yard today and a few songs rose to the surface and I gotta say they are as fresh as the day I unwrapped their shrink.

One was Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot - Radio Cure

Cheer up, honey, I hope you can
    There is something wrong with me
    My mind is filled with silvery stars
    Honey, kisses, clouds of fog
    Shoulders shrugging off

Tweedy's lyric are pure poetry.

And maybe someone can tell me which album included Mark Lanegan and Isobel Campbell's song, Ramblin' Man.

This song sounds timeless, much like songs by Nick Drake. But the only album in his discography that I slightly recognized was Field Songs from 2001. What is his best album?

Picking apples for kings and queens of things I have never seen
    Oh, distance has no way of making love understandable.

Snowbuns

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information