Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    dld
    Forum Regular

Super Bowl Half Tme Music/Super Bowl Game

Man, if this is the state of popular music these days its in one bad state. I never thougth I'd say the Britney/Backstreet Boys/Aerosmith show was better than anything but it beat this poop-a-rama. Kid Rock showed a little life (more than I can say about P Diddy and Nelly or Kelly or wtf his name is) but I'd rather he not have. BUT, the payoff of seeing Janet Jackson's right hoob pop out for the "climax" of the show was sort of a decent payback for the 20 minutes of sufferage. Thats right, at the end of her insipid "duet" with Justin Timberlake, he reaches over, pulls on her absurd gladiator or dominatrix or whatever suit, and out pops one Jackson hoob. CBS pulled away so fast I wasn't sure if what I saw was real. A few long distance calls confirmed from others what I'd thought. So this halftime show went from zero stars to, shet, how many? How do you rate this crap? On the bizarre scale, it would be way high. Anyway, Helluva game, prolly the best ever and that includes Pittsburg Hounds From Hell 35, Dallas Cowboys 31 in '77.
    Do I have to spell it out?

C---H---E---E----S----E

A--N--D

O---N---I---O---N---S

Oh No

I don't like others.

Suspended
    How did a black girl get a white breast? At first I thought I saw what you did, but I'm not so sure it was the real deal. Did ya notice, she has the same bad plastic surgeon as her brother. They both picked the same white nose from the picture book.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by MindGoneHaywire
    I think that pretty much proves it was intentional. Timberlakes actions are obvious, the outfit Janet had on was meant to tear away, and her freaking nipple is covered with a silver star. How typical of MTV.

How could you stand to watch that "entertainment"?

Quote Originally Posted by dld
    Man, if this is the state of popular music these days its in one bad state. I never thougth I'd say the Britney/Backstreet Boys/Aerosmith show was better than anything but it beat this poop-a-rama. Kid Rock showed a little life (more than I can say about P Diddy and Nelly or Kelly or wtf his name is) but I'd rather he not have. BUT, the payoff of seeing Janet Jackson's right hoob pop out for the "climax" of the show was sort of a decent payback for the 20 minutes of sufferage. Thats right, at the end of her insipid "duet" with Justin Timberlake, he reaches over, pulls on her absurd gladiator or dominatrix or whatever suit, and out pops one Jackson hoob. CBS pulled away so fast I wasn't sure if what I saw was real. A few long distance calls confirmed from others what I'd thought. So this halftime show went from zero stars to, shet, how many? How do you rate this crap? On the bizarre scale, it would be way high. Anyway, Helluva game, prolly the best ever and that includes Pittsburg Hounds From Hell 35, Dallas Cowboys 31 in '77.
    I had to turn it off when Puff Popstar, or whatever goofy name he goes by now, came out with his entourage. That was enough gag factor for me. You got a nice payoff with the Jackson boob, but she was already singing with one, aka Justin Timberfake. Anyway, I changed the channel and jumped on the internet during the halftime show. The "entertianment" has become way too bizarre for me.

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

dld
    Forum Regular
    Hey HyFi, I agree about the eerie resemblance. I was very uncomfortalble looking at her as she amd MJ (sorry Michael Jordan) look identical. Wonder if Michael has a pair of girly boobs? With metal star peircings? On the other hand, I think thats a little more detail than I reallly want to know.

And Jefferson, MTV was supposedly promoting, all day long, a shocking act that was going to occur at halftime. I doubt if the shocking act was Kid Rock wrapping himself in a flag. Thats so, yesterday.

C---H---E---E----S----E

A--N--D

O---N---I---O---N---S

Oh No

Forum Regular

They all suck bigger than Dallas

Aerosmith was crap. Did you see Joe Perrys haircut, he looked like a goob.

The halftime act was worse. I watched a little. Missed the boob.

They need to get Marillion to play next year.

Dave

Forum Regular
    Janet Jackson was singing (or was she lip-syncing) "Rhythm Nation", which is a really good song. And Justin Timberlake was singing (or lip-syncing) "Rock Your Body", which is another really good song, which of course although it's wildly popular, none of you guys have ever heard. The last line of "Rock Your Body" is: "I'm going to have you naked by the end of this song", and then there was the obviously staged tear-off of part of Jackson's outfit, but whatever. At least they weren't lip-syncing (or singing) crap (of which there's, of course, a lot of on the radio). "Mo' Money Mo' Problems" and "Hot in Herre" are also good songs. Of course, you won't like any of the songs I've mentioned if you completely write off the dance-pop, r&b and pop-rap genres, like most on this board. My point is not that it was some great half-time show: it was slick and fake and annoying. But at least they chose good tunes to be slick and fake and annoying with, and at least Evenescence, Faith Hill, Creed, Nickelback and Staind were nowhere to be seen! You guys need to lighten up.

Oh yeah, and by the way, I'm coming out of the closet on this: Kid Rock rules! Sorry guys.

Anyone want a Pop Singles 2003 comp for your enjoyment? I'll put one together. It was actually a pretty good year for pop singles.

Oh Darius, what am I gonna do with you?

JJ and JT song was good? I watched that mess yesterday and you're right, I'm not familiar with them. Those songs were NOT good. Vacant, empty and unimaginative. The only thing it has going for it is the contrived tit exposure. I like to see boobs as much as the next guy, but to try and pass it off as "ooooooh, it's so daring and shocking" is just pathetic. It's just a boob with a pastie on it ferchrissake! The song is so lame that they plainly HAVE TO pull a stunt like that or no one will remember WHAT song these puppets performed. And I don't need to see men in red panties and garterbelts dancing in the background of a SB halftime show ever again either. Welcome to Berlin, 1936. We ARE the Romans.

Coors shill, Kid Rock was boring. It's been done before, better.

Who was the wuss that sang the bad Barry Manillow-style song about the space shuttle before the game? I was at a party with 15 people and no one in the room had ever heard of the guy. He Sucked.

Forum Regular

We need to lighten up?

I'm enlightened.

I still didn't think the shows were any good.

I did, however, thoroughly enjoy the game.

But I'm a 43 year old codger who only likes prog.

Peace.

Dave

Forum Regular

Hot in herre - guilty secrets

was that the thing he did with Nelly, I liked that one quite a bit.

On the whole rightly or wrongly I can't stand rap it does nothing for me and some of that contrived manufactured pop-schmlop is even worse. But there's no denying if you cherry pick the r&b pop singles from last year there has been some good stuff from people like Jamelia, Kylie, LMC, Beyonce, Mis-Teeq, Black Eyed Peas to name a few.

I'd be interested to know what's the tracklist on your comp.

Cheers
    Mike

I'm gonna dust off my white boy from the suburbs duds and agree with Darius that the songs they were actually doing were pretty decent for today's standard pop songs. Rythym Nation was a pretty solid album from the older days of Janet (wasn't that early 90s?). And despite the simplicity and boorish message of Hot in Here, its a damn catchy tune. Same for P Diddly Daddio's song. Not much of a Timberlake fan, so i really didn't like his effort. And as Darius points out... Kid Rock kicks ass. Aside from Ms. Jackson's breastage, i was also rather surprised that most of the songs that were performed were not that current. I think that in and of itself is a better indicator of the sorry state of todays pop music than the annoyingly fake production of the half-time show. And thank God that Aerosmith, Shania, Sheryl Crow, and/or Brittney didn't weasel their ways into this thing. I'm sick of seeing their faces every time there's a "special" appearance due at some sporting event or tribute concert.

Oh yeah... and Darius, if you're really serious about that pop comp, i'd be interested. Mostly out of morbid curiousity. But also because there's a chance i've missed some good stuff.

T-

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    Oh Darius, what am I gonna do with you?

JJ and JT song was good? I watched that mess yesterday and you're right, I'm not familiar with them. Those songs were NOT good. Vacant, empty and unimaginative. The only thing it has going for it is the contrived tit exposure. I like to see boobs as much as the next guy, but to try and pass it off as "ooooooh, it's so daring and shocking" is just pathetic. It's just a boob with a pastie on it ferchrissake! The song is so lame that they plainly HAVE TO pull a stunt like that or no one will remember WHAT song these puppets performed. And I don't need to see men in red panties and garterbelts dancing in the background of a SB halftime show ever again either. Welcome to Berlin, 1936. We ARE the Romans.

Coors shill, Kid Rock was boring. It's been done before, better.

Who was the wuss that sang the bad Barry Manillow-style song about the space shuttle before the game? I was at a party with 15 people and no one in the room had ever heard of the guy. He Sucked.
    So uh,,,,,,,,,,,how do you really feel about it Troy? Funny stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson
    So uh,,,,,,,,,,,how do you really feel about it Troy? Funny stuff!
    Thanks, I'm here all week.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by tugmcmartin
    And thank God that Aerosmith, Shania, Sheryl Crow, and/or Brittney didn't weasel their ways into this thing. I'm sick of seeing their faces every time there's a "special" appearance due at some sporting event or tribute concert.
    Wasn't Aerosmith on the pre-game show? Thought I heard they were but I didn't see it.
    Last edited by Davey.; 02-02-2004 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey.
    Wasn't Aerosmith on the pre-game show? Thought I heard they were but I didn't see it.
    Maybe they were. I accidentally on purpose missed the pregrame BS. Was playing NCAA 2004 College Football on the XBox. Have my VA Cavaliers up to #5 in the polls after winning the Sugar Bowl the previous season. Yeah, i'm a loser.

T-

dld
    Forum Regular
    Wuss before the game = Josh Groban. Non offensive, but a tad too smarmy. But OK for the type material he sang. I hate Barry Manilow BTW. Groban gets decent reviews for his voice and debut album. Its nowhere near my buy list, either new or garage sale priced used. I believe he got his real commercial start on an episode of Ally McBeal a few years back. Just thought I'd throw that tidbit in.

And you're right Darius, I'm not that hip on today's pop, mainly because of what I see of it in format's similar to what I saw last night. Possibly it would grow on me with repeat viewings, but I seriously doubt it. I'll listen to your killer Byrds comp again rather than take you up on that Pop Comp offer. Maybe a 2004 one if this is a better year.

As far as Kid Rock, nahh. I agree he showed a lot of energy, but that ain't enough for me. Ryan Adams, Wilco, Sleater Kinney, The Strokes have energy, but also songs to match. And don't even get me started about the flag around his torso with the hole cut for his neck. Uh Uh. But, I'd rather see him than Sherly Crow propping up her way over rated career with another performance in a similar setting, will she please, please do the tributee artists a favor and quit appearing on their goddam tributes. Enuf already. On another subject, is anybody going to tune in to the Beatles tribute that was promoted last night, other than for the "watching a trainwreck" factor? Will a near definitive version of Here, There, and Everywhere come from Britney? I'm a trainwreck fan, so guess I'll watch (and have no excuse to complain later).

C---H---E---E----S----E

A--N--D

O---N---I---O---N---S

Oh No

am I alone or has the media milked this breast issue to death already?
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

Stop it!

Quote Originally Posted by DariusNYC
    Janet Jackson was singing (or was she lip-syncing) "Rhythm Nation", which is a really good song. And Justin Timberlake was singing (or lip-syncing) "Rock Your Body", which is another really good song, which of course although it's wildly popular, none of you guys have ever heard. The last line of "Rock Your Body" is: "I'm going to have you naked by the end of this song", and then there was the obviously staged tear-off of part of Jackson's outfit, but whatever. At least they weren't lip-syncing (or singing) crap (of which there's, of course, a lot of on the radio). "Mo' Money Mo' Problems" and "Hot in Herre" are also good songs. Of course, you won't like any of the songs I've mentioned if you completely write off the dance-pop, r&b and pop-rap genres, like most on this board. My point is not that it was some great half-time show: it was slick and fake and annoying. But at least they chose good tunes to be slick and fake and annoying with, and at least Evenescence, Faith Hill, Creed, Nickelback and Staind were nowhere to be seen! You guys need to lighten up.

Oh yeah, and by the way, I'm coming out of the closet on this: Kid Rock rules! Sorry guys.

Anyone want a Pop Singles 2003 comp for your enjoyment? I'll put one together. It was actually a pretty good year for pop singles.
    You're scaring me (almost as much as Janet's floppy breast)

BLECH!

~Slosh - I just gotta message that said, "Yeah, hell is freezing over."
    I gotta phone call from the Lord saying, "Hey boy, git a sweater. Right Now."

sigh

Quote Originally Posted by -Jar-
    Now that's an utterly predictable reaction

NP: Oxes

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    You're scaring me (almost as much as Janet's floppy breast)

BLECH!
    OK, it took a while but you and I are in complete agreement. At first I was thinking that it must be a fake-some kind of prosthetic created to shock because surely that can't be what's been pushed up under the clothes all this time. She looks so much better dressed, and even then...

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    OK, it took a while but you and I are in complete agreement. At first I was thinking that it must be a fake-some kind of prosthetic created to shock because surely that can't be what's been pushed up under the clothes all this time. She looks so much better dressed, and even then...

jc
    I hate to sound so superficial but since it's in spirit with the halftime show...

I tuned in to see a Super Bowl and wound up with a game For once a SB that lived up to its hype

dld
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by -Jar-

Ha ha, Jar said "Milk this breast".

Hey, it took me a while to get it.

C---H---E---E----S----E

A--N--D

O---N---I---O---N---S

Oh No

stupid entertainment/great game

Funny that this post was about the music and the game... and 95% of the posts don't even mention the game AT ALL. And then some of you complain about THE MEDIA making a big deal about the halftime nonsense ... all the while you're doing the same thing. Some of you guys call yourselves football fans???

1/ The crapola...

I can understand some of the public backlash of the halftime crap (more dumbing down of the culture), but it's no less insidious (IMO) than most primetime fare like "Friends" (lame), or MTV (more lameness), and MOST of the crap (overt violence or sexuality, when used without any meaningful plot reasons, simply for shock value) on TV. I'm not saying you don't have the right to watch that sorta stuff... just that there's a TON of it out there already, and not that inspiring for younger viewers. I just think you got this backlash from many parents of kids that don't let em watch much TV, and are more perturbed at how violence & sex is forced down their young kids throats against the values they're trying to impart to their kids. BTW, where are the NOW libbers, who used to get upset at the culture implication that assult is OK if it's "cute"... fine message for the kids who don't know any better. And we wonder why grammer school kids use the F-word.

The whole sexualization of prepubescent kids in our culture today is a little disturbing... and sadly, I don't have much in the way of insight or answers for it. Having said that, most football commercials are overtly sexy (Coors beer twins, etc), and this type of lame/sexy popular music is the norm today. I also see heaps of irony in Tagliabue professing outrage at the halftime show. In a sport where steroids, strutting, borderline humiliation, drugs, sex, criminal activity (Panthers), are all such a huge part of the sport, it sounded a pretty funny.

But why anyone would watch the so-called "entertainment" is beyond me. I watched a little of ESPN's pregame discussions at 11AM, but I didn't turn the TV on till kickoff at 6:30. I've been watching local weekly breakdown shows of the Patriots games since September, and I was more interested in The GAME than anything else. I didn't watch ANY of the halftime nonsense live.

Musically, what I saw in the replays was really shallow. Old tunes, and I heard much was lip-synched... TOTALLY unacceptable IMO. Fakers. That's the best we can do America today? Our culture is seen throughout the world for the superbowl, and that's the best those stupid CBS/MTV suits can come up with? Anyone remember the great PBS Blues series last year? Why not do a show that unites some of those classic oldtimer musicians and the new Blues generation... could have been spectacular IMHO. It never ceases to amaze me how most corporate types in the media etc are so tone-deaf to what's original or good. Or how they target everything at the teen market demographic, even though it was a minor part of that audience. It's gotta be the Peter Principal at work.

2/ Now, about the game... enough on the stupid "entertainment"...

I've followed the Pats since the 70's. For those that haven't seen the Pats much, that's exactly the type of game they've played most every week this season. Early lead... looks like they're the better team, yet the other team makes a run at the end... and the Pats are forced to make a furious last minute charge to pull it out of the fire. It's the type of season few fans ever get to enjoy, and it's been a long time coming.... finally a season where most breaks goe your way, and when they don't you still get another chance to redeem yourself. It's also special because we lost so many starters to injury this year, more than any other NFL team, yet still persevered.

I thought the zebra's were pretty good... don't think it effected the outcome anyway. Same with the Panther's decision to go for 2 pts... I thought it was an OK decision... but ya gotta use an "outta the box"play, and make it. Considering the Pats missed 2 "gimme" field goals, gave up a FG on a stupid squib kick before halftime(!), lost Rodney Harrison to injury (broken arm) which resulted in an 85yd TD by Carolina, and blew an easy 3 or 7pts with the intercept in the endzone near the end... I was glad the Pats came out on top -- would'a been a long offseason had they lost knowing they blew all those points (23). Altogether, a great game, with a couple of superbowl records (37pts in the 4'th Q!)

Did anyone see the replay tape of the streaker? Was on our local Boston sports show. Funny as hell... a near-naked dancin' & prancin' fool making an ass of himself... finally someone ran out to get him before Matt Chatham of the Pats drilled him to the ground with a nice body blow...BAM. I think the players were hardly in the mood for such nonsense at that point. What's hard to understand is how he got access to the field... lots of reporters with official credentials were totally barred from the lower field. And why'd it take so long for anyone to react to it?

We SHOULD be stronger next year, with the draft picks and players coming back from injury. But football rarely goes according to hoyle... and that's partly why it's such a great game. Congrats Pats... congrats Panthers.
    You don't know... jack

dld
    Forum Regular
    Jack, I totally agree with your analysis of the game. Personally, I was pulling for Carolina (since Dallas beat them this year, we could have claimed title to being a team that beat the champs). However, the non partisan sports fan in me wanted New England to come out on top. Hell, like you said, they flat gave away 23 points. End of story. To have lost that game would have been an injustice to the total effort they put forth. I just wish their fans knew how to celebrate a nationaL championship like our Tiger fans down here in beautiful (well, sort of) Baton Rouge. I guess we're more of a group of friendly drunks

Towards the end oft the game, I was getting a feeling similar to the feeling I had when LSU was in the position of having totally dominated OU in the Sugar Bowl, but faced the real possibility of OU scoring a TD against a very tired Tiger defense in the waning minutes, forcing an OT, and who knows what after that? Why Stoops abandoned the running game to go to the pass, after he had run our defense into the ground is beyond me. I'll forever be thankful for his decision tho.

As far as the dumming down of our culture, I just won't accept that as the norm. Call me idealistic, but just because its there doesn't mean we have to accept it. I read today the Beyonce lip syched the National Anthem. WTF???

As for Friends, I've grown rather fond of it in reruns. Certainly better than the basic sitcom fare gracing our airwaves. (none of which I've watched more than an episode or two, I'd rather watch bombs explode on the History channel). I only catch it for one reason, it comes on before the daily Simpson's rerun, so I usually see the final 2-5 minutes of it every evening after dinner. Perhaps in small doses like that its not so offensive???

C---H---E---E----S----E

A--N--D

O---N---I---O---N---S

Oh No

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information