Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Suspended
    I went to a record show today and picked up a few vinyls. Off the top of my head:

Jean Luc Ponty
    Brand X
    Styx II
    Marshall Tucker Live
    Jethro Tull, Minstrel in the Gallery
    Roger Daltry, Under A Raging Moon, this one was sealed.
    Rockets, the album with their version of Oh Well
    Rockpile
    Thomas Dobie, Blinded Me With Science. Impulse purchase, I don't know if this song was released on a full length album but the album I found only had five songs on it.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Mr.P

Nice pick-ups. I am not too ashamed to admit I like a few of Thomas Dolby's songs my self. I remember listening to one of his albums on one those new fangled things called a CD back in college that one of my better off friends had recently purchased. Can't remember the title, but some very infectious tunes.

Today's pickins.....

Yes-Fragile
    Moody Blues-A Question of Balance

Today's score was a bit fortuitous given the recent passing of Rick Wright.

Obscured by Clouds-Pink Floyd
    Blood Seat and Tears 3
    Windham Hills Sampler- 1984 ( featured artists; Michael Hedge,Mark Isham, William Ackerman,George Winston,Shadowfax,Alex de Grassi,Scott Cossu, Billy Oskay and Michael O Domhnail)

Suspended
    Can't believe you found some Floyd in the bin. The Windham Hills should have exceptional sound quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Can't believe you found some Floyd in the bin. The Windham Hills should have exceptional sound quality.
    Well it is not your normal Floyd LP. It is the the sound track from a French film they did back in 72. Have not cued it up but I figured it is a bit of a rarity.

I always pick up any Windham Hill sampler I can get my hands on. They are always in great shape - no nicks or scratches and come with that plastic sleeve that protects the record well.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by thekid
    Well it is not your normal Floyd LP. It is the the sound track from a French film they did back in 72. Have not cued it up but I figured it is a bit of a rarity.

I always pick up any Windham Hill sampler I can get my hands on. They are always in great shape - no nicks or scratches and come with that plastic sleeve that protects the record well.
    Obscured by Clouds was the album Pink Floyd recorded after Meddle. As you say, it was a soundtrack to a movie, which was called La Vallee. (I've seen the movie by the way, don't bother.) The album is not exactly a rarity, its quite readily available. Its quite a good album, actually (but the film is quite forgettable). Some good tracks on it, David Gilmour still plays some of them in his concerts.
    All we are saying, is give peas a chance.

The local thrift jacked their LP price up to $1.98 but still managed to find a couple of interesting LP's

Mongrel-The Bob Seger System * It was his 3rd Album before some solo LP's and the Silver Bullet Band.

Wild Life- Paul McCartney * Some consider this a solo album some say it is a Wings album.

Both LP's show some considerable wear but are rare enough that I thought it was worth a couple of bucks......

Also picked up Foxtrot by Genesis on CD.

Suspended
    $1.98 still isn't bad. Many stores that still carry vinyl used or otherwise have woken up to realize the stuff is selling again and jacking up prices. That would be interesting to see what that old Seger sounded like.

I just bought one of those album racks from www.amusicdirect.com . They are supposed to be pretty good and should be for the price, even at a close out it wasn't cheap. I haven't got it together yet to comment. You can get a MD-300 that hold about 600 lp's for
    $399.00 after $100.00 discount. You'll have to read about it to see why it's that high. I always wanted one so I felt I better get one while they still had them. I bouth an extra shelf to make it hold 900. I probably have that many. I have an old wood bookshelf thing holding my albums now and it's almost full. I have a bunch of vinyl laying around in bunches I have to go through to see what is worth keeping both in quality and in content. Too bad you didn't live closer I also have a bunch I need to sell or trade. I have been shipping them to a store that puts them on consignment for me. Then I use the money to buy more music .

I picked up these 2 XRCD's Doug MaCleod-COME TO FIND
    http://www.eastwindimport.com/album-...&ProductID=560

If you like acoustic Blue's, check him out! The recording is pristine as are most XRCD's. It was well worth the money.

and

BEST OF AUDIOPHILE VOICES

http://www.eastwindimport.com/album-...&ProductID=559
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

$1.98 still isn't bad. Many stores that still carry vinyl used or otherwise have woken up to realize the stuff is selling again and jacking up prices. That would be interesting to see what that old Seger sounded like.

I just bought one of those album racks from www.amusicdirect.com . They are supposed to be pretty good and should be for the price, even at a close out it wasn't cheap. I haven't got it together yet to comment. You can get a MD-300 that hold about 600 lp's for
    $399.00 after $100.00 discount. You'll have to read about it to see why it's that high. I always wanted one so I felt I better get one while they still had them. I bouth an extra shelf to make it hold 900. I probably have that many. I have an old wood bookshelf thing holding my albums now and it's almost full. I have a bunch of vinyl laying around in bunches I have to go through to see what is worth keeping both in quality and in content. Too bad you didn't live closer I also have a bunch I need to sell or trade. I have been shipping them to a store that puts them on consignment for me. Then I use the money to buy more music .

I should not complain about the price since it does go to charity. I have been looking for old bookshelves to store the LP's since I am coming up on 200 of them. Not sure the wife would go for a $400 audio rack but the wicker baskets there in now just ain't cutting it.

I travel all over the country so maybe next year I can take some of those LP's of your hands.........

Picked up the follow while on the road this week

Windham Hill- 86 Sampler
    National Lampoon's-Gold Turkey
    Thomas Dolby- Flat Earth

Not a bad day today at the local GW;

Heart -Bebe Le Strange
    Rod Stewart-Smiler
    CCR-Mardi Gras
    Patti Smith Group-Wave
    Little Steven and the Disciples of Soul-Men Without Women
    Souther/Hillman/Furay- Self Titled
    Linda Ronstadt-Heart Like A Wheel
    Genesis-Invisible Touch
    Tommy Tutone- (Sue me.. I love 867-5309/Jenny every now and then)
    The Marshall Tucker Band-Carolina Dreams

Suspended
    That's always a good way to pick up those 80's one hitters for cheap. And, you never know if there might be another song on the album worth a listen.

X-mas Additions

Well my older brother went up to his attic and pulled some vinyl for me for X-mas

8 to the Bar- Pete Johnson and Albert Ammons
    Jazz Sampler-Jazztone Records
    Sugar Blues-Clyde McCoy
    The Fabulous Bird-Charlie Parker
    Chicago Style
    The Count's Men featuring Joe Newman
    Barrellhouse and Blues-Sam Price
    Swinging with Ruby Braff

Fantasia-Leopold Stokowski with the Philadelphia Orchestra (On Vista Records and contains book/drawings from the film)
    Lyndon Johnson's Lonely Hearts Band- Earle Doud and Alen Robin
    Lord of the Rings-Bo Hansson
    Beethoven Edition-Deutsche Grammophon
    J. Brahms The Four Symphonies-Herbert Von Karajan & Berlin Orchestra
    Beethoven Complete 9 Symphonies-Josef Krips and the London Symphony Orhestra

I am not a big Jazz fan but we will see what we have. I am looking forward to the Classical records.

Its been awhile since I dragged out this thread. I have been collecting some of the usual 70's early 80's stuff since last post but thought I'd mention a couple of classical collections I picked up today. Scored a MHS recording by I Solisti Veneti of Vivaldi's L'estro armonico, OP. 3 and Mahler's Nine Symphonies on Murray Hill Records. All are in excellent to very good condition and it only cost $6.50....
    Last edited by thekid; 05-02-2009 at 03:46 PM.

Suspended
    Although I'm still into vinyl I tend to take after Feanor on Classical where CD I feel is a better medium. Too many places where there is supposed to be silence. It's rare to find vinyl quiet enough.

I went to a record show yesterday. Picked up a pretty good bunch of LP's for a $1.00. Here's what I remember:

Triumvarit - Spartacus
    Planet P - The one with Why Me
    A couple Motels
    Roy Orbison - double LP best of collection
    Gary Wright - Dream Weaver , can you believe I've never had this before?
    Fixx - ?
    Mama's Pride - I actually had to pay $4.00 for this but it's a rare title
    CD's
    I bought about 4 discs that you'd call World Music I guess. It was a variety of things from African artists.
    Buddy Guy - Damn Right I Got The Blues
    Johnny Winter - Bluesman, from 2004, it doesn't sound like he does his own vocals on this album and I'm not crazy about the guy who does. His voice is alright but don't seem to go with Blues. The copy I have is a promo so I didn't find a run down of who plays or does vocals.
    Megadeth - Cryptic Writings

I spent $6 on Sunday for:

Frida - Something's Going On
    Carole King - Simple Things
    Eydie Gorme - Greatest Hits
    Julie London - self-titled 1964 album
    Julie London - The End of the World
    Beethoven Symphony No. 3, which is old enough that on the liner they explain what stereophonic sound is

Suspended
    I've got that Frida album. Did you know Phil Collins does the drums? It's been so long since I've listened to it I can't remember if the rest of the album is notable. I'm thinking probably not so much or I would have a mental note back there some where

Nice pick ups guys!

I think "Dream Weaver" or another song on that LPmight have been the first R&R to go #1 that did not have a guitar on the track but I can't rememeber for sure.

I generally agree with you on Classical CD's but most of the time when I come across something that interests me I find the records are in very good shape with little to no popping or scratchiness. Also by using the Vinyl Restoration software I can burn a CD off of the the vinyl that is very near CD quality. Its a good way to get some of these older boxed set recordings that they want to charge a fortune on as a CD set

Went to pick my daughter up from college today and stopped by my fav record store in town while I was there. They were having a Sidewalk sale with many LP's going for as cheap as 25 cents. picked up a variety of titles;

Billie Holliday-Lady in Satin
    Bob Dylan-Slow Train Coming
    The Kinks-One for the Road
    Joe Jackson-Look Sharp
    Joe Jackson- Jumpin Jive
    Nicollette Larson-Nicollette
    Judy Collins- Whales and Nightingales
    the Fixx- Shuttered Room
    ELO- Face the Music
    Orleans-Before the Dance
    Pablo Cruise- A Place in the Sun
    Blood,Sweat and Tears- Blood,Sweat and Tears (have a copy but basically bought a new cover for a quarter...)
    3 Dog Night-Golden Bisquits
    The Dream Academy-The Dream Academy

Barely broke a $20 so not a bad day........

Suspended
    The price was right. At that price you can even take a chance on something you aren't familiar with.

The price was right. At that price you can even take a chance on something you aren't familiar with.
    Yeah about 3-4 of theose were in that category. Not too familiar with Orleans except for their 1-2 hits on Top 40 so picking up a double record set seemed interesting. I probably could have got a few more but my kids did not want to watch me pick thru 8 boxes of LP's.
    This is great place though to get vinyl and my son and I always make it a point to stop by when we go to Richmond. Used LP's go anywhere from a $1 to $15 depending on the artist and the rarity of the record.

Quote Originally Posted by thekid
    Also by using the Vinyl Restoration software I can burn a CD off of the the vinyl that is very near CD quality. Its a good way to get some of these older boxed set recordings that they want to charge a fortune on as a CD set
    Is this because you're cheap or because you think an LP through CD through restoration software sounds better than a CD?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevio
    Is this because you're cheap or because you think an LP through CD through restoration software sounds better than a CD?
    Budget is a factor. As Mr.P stated in his post above the price allows me to try some LP's that I might not otherwise pick-up. I am a bit of a novice when it comes to Classical but generally like Vivaldi so for $3.25 the price was right. As for the LP copied onto a CD the sound is very good and makes the music more portable and I have the best of both worlds depending on what I want to listen to on my system.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information