Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    That's the one! I've got that on vinyl, I believe I also have Closer To Home and the self titled red cover album. I had to buy the CD of the red album and I have the 3 disc collection. I should also have the live LP. Heck, I guess I should go take inventory
    Strip way some of the radio hits from some of the bands from 'back in the day' (GF, Steppenwolf, Bad Company, Ten Years After etc.) and you'll find some pretty decent music.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Snagged James Brown, Live and Lowdown at the Apollo and Burning Spear, Marcus Garvey today at a great yard sale...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Suspended
    I just got back from the almost quarterly record show. Here's what i can remember off the top of my head:

LP's
    Headboys
    Tycoon
    Jeff Beck live with Jam Hammer Band, I can't wait to spin this
    Shoot
    The Monkees, Best of
    A sealed copy of Commander Coty I've not heard of but sealed and $2.00 I'll take a chance. I like the disc I have with Hot Rod Lincoln, so this might be alright.
    Plus my friend brought me a box of vinyl he didn't want because he transferred them to CD. He's into mostly oldies and stuff I've never heard of but that's fun to put on something you've never heard of and see if it's good or not. One thing I pulled out already to spin is a Jim Stafford LP with all his hits, Spider & Snakes, Wildwood Weed and My Girl Bill which are the only ones I'm familiar with that I know of.

CD's
    Cranberries, the one with Zombie
    Smashing Pumpkins, Greatest Hits, a few songs I don't have already is on this.
    Counting Crows, Greatest
    Black Sabbath featuring Tony Iomi, I think this may be called Seventh Sign. Not a very well known Sabbath album but I remember I liked it. I believe it came out aroun 1985 or so.
    Redbone, Classics

Not my largest haul but a few new tunes to get me by

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Some nice pick-ups there Mr.P!

Redbone is ringing a bell......were'nt they a band of Native Americans but were marketed as a Latino or Lating flavored band?? I maybe confusing them with someone else though....

Suspended
    I don't know a lot about them except you are correct about them being American Indian. The biggest hit I'm aware of is the 70's song Come And Get Your Love. I haven't listened to it through yet but a scan tells me there's some..... let's just say interesting music on there.

The Henry Lee Summers album is pretty good. It has good sound quality as well. If you are familiar with Tycoon, Such A Woman, in my opinion, the only song worth listening to there. I was real disappointed in the Commander Coty, sucked out loud, it wasn't like prior stuff I've heard from him, it was like he was trying to do a very poor job of sounding like Dr. Hook.

Well my memory is not completely gone then........
    I confess to not knowing much about Commander Cody other than "Hot Rod Lincoln" but I know some people who are big fans and claim that there is a somewhat large cult following for the CC. Maybe I will take a shot at a couple of these tites if I see them in the $1 bin....

Thanks
    Last edited by thekid; 09-15-2009 at 03:21 PM.

I don't know a lot about them except you are correct about them being American Indian. The biggest hit I'm aware of is the 70's song Come And Get Your Love.
    Don't forget the forgettable 'The Witch Queen of New Orleans'

Suspended
    The Commander Coty and the Flying Airmen with Hot Rod Lincoln is a good album if you like over the top Country. It's a good album with fiddle and steel guitar but it's so Country I wonder if it's supposed to be a parity Great songs like Lost In The Ozone Again.

Today's garage sale/thrift haul....

Hot Tuna-Hot Tuna First Pull Up and then Pull down
    Emerson,Lake and Palmer-Works Volume 2
    Eric Clapton-History of Eric Clapton
    Cat Stevens-Catch a Bull at Four
    Gene Pitney-Greatest Hits
    Paul McCartney-McCartney II
    Poco- Rose of Cimmaron
    Art Garfunkel-Angel Clare

picked up a few other titles that I already but were in better shape. also came a across a Duane Allman Anthology on Capricorn Records but the seller would not sell the records individually and I was not going to buy 30 Andy Williams and assorted other junk title for one good LP.
    Last edited by thekid; 09-19-2009 at 08:52 AM.

Suspended
    What a jerk, one album out of the box wouldn't have made any difference. Spin that Hot Tuna, good band I feel under rated, maybe because they never charted or something. Good old boogie Rock.

Stopped by some thrifts and scored the following for about $3

Bob Dylan-Hard Rain
    Neil Young-Everybody Knows This is Nowhere (2nd copy)
    Steve Winwood-Steve Winwood
    George Thorogood and the Destroyers-Move it on over

What a jerk, one album out of the box wouldn't have made any difference. Spin that Hot Tuna, good band I feel under rated, maybe because they never charted or something. Good old boogie Rock.

I like your thinking. This is my fav HT.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rave recordings??-well at least pretty good...-burgers-3-.jpg  

No vinyl today but some good CD's

Bruce Springsteen- Live 75-85 (All 3 discs for $3 )
    Genesis-We Can't Dance
    George Winston-Summer
    Frank Sinatra-Classic Duets

Aynone heard any Brothers Johnson? I have an opportunity to scoop up 2 or 3 of their records. They're produced by Quincy Jones so they must be good. I will Google but would like some input.

I once won a local radio station "Name the Song" contest by naming "Strawberry Letter 23" in about 3 seconds. That tune and "I'll Be Good to You" are about their only songs that I could think of theirs off top of my head. If their other stuff is a good and as funky as "Strawberry Letter 23" they might be worth a closer listen.

Thanks kid! I did some reading, I guess the bass playing brother cut all the bass tracks for Thriller. That alone is enough for me. And of course, your fond memories, lol. I tried to capture this record in a photo but it's tough. Aerosmith Toys in the Attic. The cover is probably good condition at best,but the vinyl looks like its NEVER been played. I see no evidence of a stylus ever touching it. I got it at the same yard sale the Bro Jo albums were.

Apparently he has a stash of "good stuff". We'll see, he doesn't seem like the type who thinks he has a gem with a beat up copy of the White Album.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rave recordings??-well at least pretty good...-dsc02400.jpg  

Nice pick-ups.
    I e-mailed a guy on CL this morning that claims to have over a 1,000 LP's he is willing to sell at a $1 a piece so we will see what that brings.

Quote Originally Posted by thekid
    Nice pick-ups.
    I e-mailed a guy on CL this morning that claims to have over a 1,000 LP's he is willing to sell at a $1 a piece so we will see what that brings.
    Motherload indeed, that will require several days of review. Probably alot of doubles for a guy with your collection. Will you buy doubles or no? $1 a piece in the comfort of a guys house is ideal. Hope it works out...

Suspended
    Although Aerosmith hasn't done much in a while to get me excited I never get tired of Toys In The Attic, a definite classic.

Let's hope the guy didn't inherit his grandpa's records and have a bunch of Lawrence Welk and Johnny Mathis Well..... the Kid has listed stuff close to that genre Variety, is, the spice of life.

Although Aerosmith hasn't done much in a while to get me excited I never get tired of Toys In The Attic, a definite classic.

Let's hope the guy didn't inherit his grandpa's records and have a bunch of Lawrence Welk and Johnny Mathis Well..... the Kid has listed stuff close to that genre Variety, is, the spice of life.
    Yep, back when they were a cutting edge rock band, now they are a bunch of crooners. Wankers for sure!

I tend to think of The Brothers Johnson as a flash in the pan...about one song away from being a one-hit wonder. Others may see it differently, obviously. I like them, though.

I hit a garage sale yesterday with what they say was 18,000 records. All LP's were a dollar each. I ignored the 78's and 45's and flipped through the LP's at a rate of about one per second, I think. I was there for 2-1/2 hours and came away with 40 records...jazz, jazz vocal, big band, classical, folk. No acid rock, no hair bands. Perhaps another day.

Ouch!!!!!- Mr.P

Visited my favorite record store on visit to my daughter and picked up the following "crooners".....

The Yardbirds-Greatest Hits
    Poco-Deliverin
    Poco-A Good Feelin To Know
    Genesis-Seconds Out
    Peter Gabriel-Peter Gabriel

Not too bad for $5 IMO

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    I tend to think of The Brothers Johnson as a flash in the pan...about one song away from being a one-hit wonder. Others may see it differently, obviously. I like them, though.

I hit a garage sale yesterday with what they say was 18,000 records. All LP's were a dollar each. I ignored the 78's and 45's and flipped through the LP's at a rate of about one per second, I think. I was there for 2-1/2 hours and came away with 40 records...jazz, jazz vocal, big band, classical, folk. No acid rock, no hair bands. Perhaps another day.
    Man all you guys finding these great scores is makin me jealous. I've been having to work real hard lately...

Quote Originally Posted by thekid
    Ouch!!!!!- Mr.P

Visited my favorite record store on visit to my daughter and picked up the following "crooners".....

The Yardbirds-Greatest Hits
    Poco-Deliverin
    Poco-A Good Feelin To Know
    Genesis-Seconds Out
    Peter Gabriel-Peter Gabriel

Not too bad for $5 IMO
    NIce score on the Peter Gabriel, I love him on vinyl...

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    NIce score on the Peter Gabriel, I love him on vinyl...
    never tire of Solsbury Hill.....

Anyone here ever find themselves in Richmond VA you need to stop by Plan 9. Their selection of used Vinyl will amaze you. They even had a pair of KLH 23's that my wife had to shoo me away from......

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread Information