Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
    I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar

Added to the SACD today.....

I am sure this post will end in a debate about the viability of SACD but I am a fan of the format. I used some X-mas gift cards and ordered some new discs;

Bob Dylan- The Free Wheelin' Bob Dylan
    Bob Dylan- Blonde on Blonde
    Pink Floyd- Dark Side of the Moon
    Beethoven 5th &6th Symphony (Boston Symphony Orchestra/Charles Munch

Using my Oppo DV-981HD as the SACD player. Only listened to the Pink Floyd so far and it is very impressive.

I'm Jazzed......

Scored some nice vinyl today.
    Dire Straits-Communique
    Dire Straits- Love over Gold

And a little bit of unusual box set.
    Box is in great shape and the original booklet was inside. Records are all in excellent to near mint condition.

The Smithsonian Collection of Classic Jazz

Looking on some vinyl sites it has very positive reviews and seems to be selling in the $50 range so I guess I did okay for my $6.....

Beatles for Sale

Well actually it was a very good copy of Abbey Road at a local thrift for the princely sum of $1.......

From what I can tell this is a an original copy that dates to 1969.
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700
    Rogers BBC Monitors LS3/6

Suspended
    Good find, if you weren't one of us music junkies you could make money online reselling those LP's in other areas. I would think a mint copy of Abbey Road would fetch a decent price. Most of the time buying online the shipping is more than the LP though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Good find, if you weren't one of us music junkies you could make money online reselling those LP's in other areas.
    I am sure that is my wife's plan when I am no longer around......
    According to my album guide a near mint version (which this is isn't) would bring around $20. I do have some valuable records but prices are proportional to their condition and when you are talking about something where literally millions of copies were sold the appreciation rate is not so great. Of course that did not keep a local SA from asking $150 for their copy of "Off the Wall" (which just the week before was in the $1 rack) after Michael Jackson died.
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700

Suspended
    I have a Lenny Bruce LP that is probably worth the most in my collection. I'll get around to selling it one day. I unknowingly sold a Monty Python LP that was worth about $20.00. I sold it with some other LP's I didn't want for about $1 a piece. Then after the transaction the guy proceeded to tell me about the LP. I'm like, oh thanks. I should have told him I changed my mind and not let him out of the house, LOL. The unique thing about the LP it had two sides on one, depending on which groove the needle fell in is what you heard. Good thing it was only a comedy album this 2 on 1 thing would have sounded terrible for music.

At the same church yard sale where I scored the Paradigm Center channel I paid a $1 for a 1966 mono release of the The Trogs "Wild Thing" and Sly and the Family Stone's "Greatest Hits". Both in very good condition.
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thekid
    I am sure this post will end in a debate about the viability of SACD...
    What's there to debate? New releases are fairly frequent, good quality...if one likes the genre then invest, if not one can go elsewhere...

BTW, nice acquisition on the Smithsonian...there's some real nuggets of jazz gold in them there archival hills.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Invested in some CD's.....

I stopped by an estate sale today and found probably around 1,000 CD's. 99% of them were Classical or Opera but I found a few to my liking though I am not sure about some of the quality of these recordings. Perhaps those of you more versed in Classical can tell me if these are okay.

Vilvaldi 6 Concerti- I Solisti Italiani Denon

Telemann- The Paris Quartets / American Baroque Amon-Ra Records

Handel- The Water Music / George Szell London Symphony London

A Copland Celebration Vol1 & Vol 2 / Aaron Copland London Symphony and others Sony Classical

Other titles....

Alberta Hunter - Amtrak Blues Columbia
    The Best of the Chieftains Columbia
    Ian & Sylvia's Greatest Hits - Vanguard
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700

RGA
    Forum Regular
    I love the look back into pre 1970s music or for some pre 1870's music but how about some new stuff?

Picked up a new to me artist - first album 2011.

In the spirit of pop music and a couple of days before Lady Gaga's newest album is released and which will probably sell more than 12 million copies and get tons of attention for months - how about someone different. Ellie Goulding.

I enjoyed Ellie Goulding on SNL but she sure isn't your standard pop voice.

She's a kind of British pop singer - with not a pop singer's voice but a rougher whispier and "oddly" soulful voice infused with electronica. Not a bad recording quality either - somewhat compressed but plentiful "synth" style bass and the entire album should go over well in the nightclubs.

Nope - if you don't like pop you still won't like this. However, for pop it's a superior production, better than usual lyrics, plenty of toe tapping lines.

BubbleGum Pop - but with longer lasting flavour. http://www.accesshollywood.com/risin..._article_47661

Tell me what you think (Live version) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SsLn...feature=fvwrel
    Last edited by RGA; 05-21-2011 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RGA View Post
    I love the look back into pre 1970s music or for some pre 1870's music but how about some new stuff?
    I suppose looking at my postings on this thread you could get the impression that I do not listen to "new stuff" but that is not the case. Originally most of my posts here were regarding the vinyl I was picking up on the cheap which by default (until recently with new groups putting out vinyl) limiited the music to a certain time period. Besides my general interest in almost all music I have a teenage son and a twenty-something daughter who keep me pretty current. I just have made the choice for this post not to list when I have picked up some music from Flo and the Machine, Adele or someone else currently getting air play.
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by thekid View Post
    I suppose looking at my postings on this thread you could get the impression that I do not listen to "new stuff" but that is not the case. Originally most of my posts here were regarding the vinyl I was picking up on the cheap which by default (until recently with new groups putting out vinyl) limiited the music to a certain time period. Besides my general interest in almost all music I have a teenage son and a twenty-something daughter who keep me pretty current. I just have made the choice for this post not to list when I have picked up some music from Flo and the Machine, Adele or someone else currently getting air play.
    Sorry it wasn't really a comment to you or anything it was just a general statement. Kind of goes back to CES where all these rooms were playing Hotel California for the billionth time and the usual classical and Jazz standards. There is new music and many new artists.

I never quite understood the fascination with listening to 10 different interpretations of one piece of music. Well I do get it but I guess I want to hear what's going on with new artists and their take on things.

Sure I like Miles' Kind of Blue just like the next audiophile but I suppose I'm getting tired of seeing it and the likes of it pop up over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by RGA View Post
    Sorry it wasn't really a comment to you or anything it was just a general statement. Kind of goes back to CES where all these rooms were playing Hotel California for the billionth time and the usual classical and Jazz standards. There is new music and many new artists.

I never quite understood the fascination with listening to 10 different interpretations of one piece of music. Well I do get it but I guess I want to hear what's going on with new artists and their take on things.

Sure I like Miles' Kind of Blue just like the next audiophile but I suppose I'm getting tired of seeing it and the likes of it pop up over and over.
    No harm-No foul.

Never having been to CES I can not say anything about the choice of music but from what you are saying I understand it from a marketing stand point. Whenever testing new gear the experts tell you to listen to it using music you are very familiar with. In part because knowing the music well can help you determine if the gear is reproducing the music faithfully/accurately. Secondly by using familar music there is greater chance the listener will be focused in on the gear rather than the music itself. Finally the use of "standards" would be less likely to negatively influence a potential buyers opinion of the gear. Some people listening to new music that they did not like might attribute that negative opinion of the music to the gear and therfor less likley to purchase the gear.

BTW- I did just pick up a copy of Alison Krauss + Union Stations newest CD "Paper Airplane" for an Anniversary present. Highly recommend it! Recorded very well and her voice is as angelic as always.
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700

Struck some more CD gold at the Goodwill today....

Not sure if there are any Genesis fans around here but I found an interesting CD by Steve Hackett called "Watcher of the Skies: Genesis Revisited". Steve Hackett along with members of King Crimson, Yes, the Zombies and others rework some early Genesis tunes. Not all of them work but most of them are very good and I think would be welcome among the original Genesis catalog.

Also scored

Best of Miles Davis The Capitol/Blue Note Years- Miles Davis
    Dreams (Discs 1-4) - The Allman Brothers

Happy Father's Day to me.............
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700

Well it has been about a year and several hundred CD's and vinyl pick-ups since I last posted on this thread. I thought I'd post today's thrift store CD finds since it was a pretty good haul for about 15 minutes of my time.

For Everyman - Jackson Browne
    Jackson Browne - Jackson Browne
    The Pretender - Jackson Browne
    Are You Experienced - The Jimi Hendrix Experience
    The Ultimate Collection 1948-1990 - John Lee Hooker
    Freak Out - The Mothers of Invention
    Consolers of the Lonely - The Raconteurs
    Let It Bleed - The Rolling Stones
    Nebraska - Bruce Springsteen
    Born to Run - Bruce Springsteen
    Sand in the Vaseline - Talking Heads
    The Velvet Underground & Nico
    Back to Black - Amy Winehouse
    Ballads and Blues 1972 - George Winston
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700

Sealed Miles Davis "Kind of Blue"

So while stumbling around in the same storage locker that yielded a pair of KG4's and Pioneer SX-626 receiver at below bargain prices I aciddentally kick open a box of vinyl.

First record on top is John Coltrane's "Standard Coltrane". Encouraged I lift up the next record and there is a copy of Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue". I negotiate a $1 per LP and off I go. When I get back to my office I go to show everyone my vinyl and to check its condition further. I can't open the "Kind of Blue" LP because it is still sealed!!!!

Turns out it is a special 180G "Blue Vinyl" edition that came out 10 years ago.
    Somehow I think I did alright with my $1 on that one...........
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8