Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Global Village Idiot mad rhetorik's Avatar

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenH
    Zappa - Hot Rats

Out of all the Zappa stuff I've heard thus far Hot Rats is the most to my liking.

Somewhat jazzy, somewhat funky. Excellent guitar riffs from Frank. The music has a whimsical feel to it at times. Just an all around great album. It's got everything.

Son Of Mr. Green Genes rawks.

And I like Willie The Pimp too. This tune features Captain Beefheart on vocals. Pretty killer.

Darren
    Yeah! Totally excellent music. I don't know if it's his best considering that I like One Size Fits All and some of his early Mothers Of Invention material quite a bit (though Hot Rats is probably his most accessible album). Zappa released lots of great albums up until about '76, and even after that he had some good stuff here and there (like his last album Yellow Shark, which is one of the few classical albums that I can actually enjoy).

"Willie The Pimp" is one of my favorite Zappa tunes. Beefheart's vocals on that song rule--I've always thought that Beefheart's voice was a huge influence on Tom Waits, especially during his Swordfishtrombones and Rain Dogs period. Too bad a good deal of the Beefheart stuff I've heard is crap. Trout Mask Replica is about as enjoyable as a tabasco enema. Never understood all the hype for that particular album.
    "...and then at the end of the letter I like to write <i>'P.S. - this is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.'</i> "

<b>_R.I.P. Mitch Hedburg 1968-2005_</b>

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Anyway, like I said in the other thread, I'm really looking forward to the new Frozen Orange album next month. I'd also very much like to hear the 1991 Here Come The Cars album which is highly regarded as well. Hard (impossible?) to find over here though. Guess I need to find out what kind of itch Chris needs scratched lately.....or break down and actually buy something myself for once......
    You have a functional address other than toofreakinhot AZ?

NP The Magnetic Fields - i

Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisnz
    You have a functional address other than toofreakinhot AZ?
    On the road again, can't wait to get on the road again.......hey Chris! So I take it you have a copy of that first one, eh? I'm sure you know that I was just kind of kidding around but it is just about time for another one of our trades. I'm just here in toofreakinhot until the end of the month but that would probably be cutting it close for you since I'm starting to pack stuff up. I'll email you and we can talk more and you can let me know if there's something you wanna check out. As always, you can see what I've gotten in the last few years at the end of my online wishlist.

NP: Joe Henry Short Man's Room

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information