Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NP: (Now Playing Thread)

NP: Mr. Midfi's "Radio Free Batavia" - very nice comp. Normally I probably wouldn't be in the mood for this Patty Griffin song but it sounds real nice to me ("Change").. also, how can you not whistle along with the White Stripes' "The Air Near My Fingers". Yea, a little 80's a little 90's... I don't know when the Dylan song is from.. but overall a nice comp that's just about good rockin' tunes. Nothing too weird, but sometimes you don't want weird. Definately a great comp to play in mixed (musical taste) company.. lots for everyone to enjoy on here.

hey, there's a Batavia in Ohio too.. and New York. Interesting.. I wonder where the name comes from.

oh.. and wanted to metion.. heard two nice toonz on the radio while out getting lunch

Van Morrison: "Crazy Love"
    Neil Young: "Harvest Moon"

both very sweet..

-jar
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

Forum Regular
    Steve Hackett - to watch the storms

Porcupine Tree - On the Sunday of Life

Calexico- Hot Rail.

I need to make a desert run . . . baaaaad.

Damnit, the only thing I don't like about my new job is that I don't get to listen to music here. Usually, I don't get as much time online either, but today's an exception.

On the way in this morning I was listening to Horace Silver's Tokyo Blues though.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Johnny Cash, Unearthed -- hearing him cover "Rusty Cage" is pretty fun, but the real treat here (to me) is his lyrics. Dark, witty, literate...did I mention dark? I'm surprised more goth and/or death metal bands don't cover Cash.

Some of his tracks do tend towards samey, but that's a minor quibble.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Forum Regular

sounds

NP:

IN ABSENTIA

Pork Tree

Forum Regular

Well, well . . .

We haven't had one of these for a long time. Now playing:

Gang CHEN and Zhanhao He, The Butterfly Lovers Violin Concerto. Takako Nishizaki, violin; Fan Chenqwu, Shanhai Conservatory Symphony Orchestra. On Naxos 8.554334 Some other works as couplings on the CD as well.

Takako Nishizaki is really a very eminent violinist in the Far East and has made quite a lot of recordings of new and old music. She has made about 7 recordings of this work and millions have sold in China. Her husband is Klaus Heymann, the founder of Naxos.

The Butterfly Lovers is a very nice work, Oriental-Western programme music portraying boy and girl studying with same master. Girl disguised as boy, so nobody knows she is a girl. She is called home for an arranged marriage with a rich man. Boy misses friend, goes to the house and is told she is a girl about to be married. Boy falls into deep depression and dies. Girl visits tomb, begs it to open. It does, she jumps in and both lovers are transformed into butterflies and they fly away.
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

Rocket From The Crypt going on for me right now. Scream, Dracula, Scream! Always liked this one a lot but I only have the two big label Interscope albums, this one on CD and the following RFTC on vinyl. This is a damn fun Friday album and gives me a chance to bang my head some too

And ahead of that was some Girls Against Boys cruising your new baby fly self and before that some of Joy Division's unknown pleasures.

Davey's "Half Gone 2004"

more specifically, The Moonbabies tune. Thanks Davey.
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

Quote Originally Posted by Ex Lion Tamer
    Davey's "Half Gone 2004".....more specifically, The Moonbabies tune. Thanks Davey.
    Excellent choice, my "glow in the dark, boiling boy" buddy! I dare you to say "boiling boy buddy" five times fast without striking the cup. And if you can decipher that you're brain is working better than mine!

Hey, Moonbabies are pretty fucking good! Oops, guess I'm not supposed to say that on a "family" board like this. Sorry. Maybe the censor can take care of it later. That title track from The Orange Billboard is pretty cool with the big noisy "A Day In The Life" ending. No use reinventing the wheel if it still rolls, eh? How'd ya like that closing Honeydogs song? That's a pretty fine one too with a twist of tropicalia thrown in. Fun Friday tunes.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Rocket From The Crypt going on for me right now. Scream, Dracula, Scream! Always liked this one a lot but I only have the two big label Interscope albums, this one on CD and the following RFTC on vinyl. This is a damn fun Friday album and gives me a chance to bang my head some too

The young livers rule tonight.

That is a fun album and me likee a lot. Circa: Now! might be my favorite of theirs, but this is a good one. It's another album I haven't listened to in quite some time that I really want to hear now (in addition to a few mentioned on the CMJ site).
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

yeaaaaa we're alright
    we're just lazy and out of sight..

or something like that..

great sax in that song

Yea.. great album..though my very first impression when I got the thing (review copy for the zine I wrote for) was that it was sophomoric frat rock, but with some hints of good things here and there.. Then I learned they were the same guys as Drive Like Jehu and the whole thing made more sense.
    I never caught them live.. too bad. Never caught Drive Like Jehu live either. That would have been a treat.

-jar
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

Quote Originally Posted by Stone
    The young livers rule tonight.

That is a fun album and me likee a lot. Circa: Now! might be my favorite of theirs, but this is a good one. It's another album I haven't listened to in quite some time that I really want to hear now (in addition to a few mentioned on the CMJ site).
    Funny, I don't know that we've ever had a Rocket From The Crypt appreciation thread around here. I don't even know if they're still together, but I saw them once at a local club in Santa Cruz (I think) and they were absolutely fantastic. What a high energy, fun rock n roll show! Kind of like I imagined the Dismemberment Plan would be like after hearing Rae's descriptions of their shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Funny, I don't know that we've ever had a Rocket From The Crypt appreciation thread around here. I don't even know if they're still together, but I saw them once at a local club in Santa Cruz (I think) and they were absolutely fantastic. What a high energy, fun rock n roll show! Kind of like I imagined the Dismemberment Plan would be like after hearing Rae's descriptions of their shows.
    I saw RFTC maybe 5 years ago and they kicked ass. I also had the good fortune of seeing Dismemberment Plan twice, including their final show, and they were amazing as well. Completely different energy than RFTC, probably due to the difference in styles of music, but both knew how to put on a helluva live show.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone
    I saw RFTC maybe 5 years ago and they kicked ass. I also had the good fortune of seeing Dismemberment Plan twice, including their final show, and they were amazing as well. Completely different energy than RFTC, probably due to the difference in styles of music, but both knew how to put on a helluva live show.
    I forgot you were at that final D-Plan show in DC. That's so cool. Wish I'd been there too. You were part of rock n roll history!

House of GVSB drilling another hole in my head right now. Another drone in my head. It gets around your eyes...It gets around your head...It gets you hypnotized..........

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    After my recs to nobody earlier today, I had to give Jet a spin and then The Trews.

Seriously, if you like Jet, Kings of Leon and similar sounds, you have to give The Trews a listen. I can't say enough good things about them.

Zappa - Hot Rats

Out of all the Zappa stuff I've heard thus far Hot Rats is the most to my liking.

Somewhat jazzy, somewhat funky. Excellent guitar riffs from Frank. The music has a whimsical feel to it at times. Just an all around great album. It's got everything.

Son Of Mr. Green Genes rawks.

And I like Willie The Pimp too. This tune features Captain Beefheart on vocals. Pretty killer.

Darren
    Let the midnight special shine a light on me.

A change in style.

Katatonia - Last Fair Deal Gone Down.

A depressing mopefest to be sure but this is an awesome listen. I love this album. Dark and brooding and kick arse. Anathema's A Fine Day To Exit is another that's just as good. Hmmm.....I think I know what's next.

Darren

Left work early and had a little afternoon Jazz fest listening session all on vinyl...

Went through...

Monk: Misterioso & Monk's Dream
    Horace Silver: Song for my Father
    Charles Mingus: Blues & Roots
    Chet Baker: The Last Great Concert
    Miles Davis: Workin'

Gonna go put on the 12" of Radio Clash now so I can get a little more energy to kick off the weekend.

I'm listening to The Burden Brothers - Buried in Your Black Heart

This is ex-Toadie Todd Lewis and Taz Bentley (Rev. Horton Heat) doing what the Toadies always did so well. Just plain good rock-n-roll.

John

I'm on track 9 of Kingston Wall's II. Released in 1993.

Excellent band from Finland who often incorporated Eastern influences into their music. They were relatively unknown outside of their homeland.

By far, the best of the 3 albums they released although I like a lot of their music from the other two. Petri Walli was an amazing guitarist who's major influence was Jimi Hendrix. Listening to the music of Kingston Wall will certainly clue you in to this fact. Great great album.

Petri Walli commited suicide in 1994 shortly after the release of III (Tri-logy).

Another sad loss to the music world albeit an obscure one.

Darren
    Last edited by DarrenH; 07-16-2004 at 07:40 PM.

I'm late enough to the party that it prolly doesn't matter, dang this Left Coast time zone and no music at work. But anyway, I just gave a 1st spin to A. C. Newman's The Slow Wonder and I really liked this one. The 1st handful of songs reminded me of The Kinks (ok, so shoot me, no doubt there are a bunch of current indie-popsters that would make a better comparison, but I don't know that many). Very kewl music. I especially liked the trumpet that comes in on track 9, The Cloud Prayer, as it was totally unexpected based on the previous toons. Thanks, Stone. Unfortunately, I found out this afternoon that the package that should have gone to you on Wed. got blown off by my irresponsible kid. Be patient, it WILL get to you.

Moved on to a David Kilgour comp from dbi, etc. I like this a lot as well, but at track 4, I can't make even one of my shallow comparisons yet.
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

Quote Originally Posted by tentoze
    Moved on to a David Kilgour comp from dbi, etc. I like this a lot as well, but at track 4, I can't make even one of my shallow comparisons yet.
    Ah, another excellent choice my jangle rock loving buddy. The David Kilgour comp is his entire 1997 Heavy Eights album followed by about 2/3 of his 2001 A Feather In The Engine. Pretty hypnotic stuff. I also have Sugar Mouth from 1994 courtesy of my New Zealand pipeline for good music (aka chrisnz) and it's good but I don't think quite up to the same level as the two later ones. I especially enjoy the last one. He's doing some playing around with the melodies on it to keep it interesting, but it still has that mesmerizing guitar sound and somewhat mystical lyrics that I like so much about his music. Anyway, like I said in the other thread, I'm really looking forward to the new Frozen Orange album next month. I'd also very much like to hear the 1991 Here Come The Cars album which is highly regarded as well. Hard (impossible?) to find over here though. Guess I need to find out what kind of itch Chris needs scratched lately.....or break down and actually buy something myself for once......

Everything after Track 4 was very fine as well. Thanks for the disk. I'm in the middle ofa traumatic experience- packing cd's for the upcoming move. Choosing a handful to hold out ain't an easy thing to do.........

NP-Jesse Sykes and the Sweet Hereafter, O, My Girl, my new current favorite- her voice is captivating, kind of a blend of Marianne Faithful and Toni Childs, or something tlike that.

----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information