And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

So tell me Stone...

how would you describe their style of music? Which cd would your recommend the most to a goof like me? Inquiring minds want to know! I know they've been discussed on this board before, but I can't remember and I'm too lazy to do a search. I probably have a least one or two tracks on comps I have, but I'd have to dig through them to find out.

Swishy Washy
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    how would you describe their style of music? Which cd would your recommend the most to a goof like me? Inquiring minds want to know! I know they've been discussed on this board before, but I can't remember and I'm too lazy to do a search. I probably have a least one or two tracks on comps I have, but I'd have to dig through them to find out.

Swishy Washy
    I'm not the person to ask about which CD to recommend. The only album I have of theirs is Folklore, which I think is very good, but I'm not as enamored by it as some others around here. I do have a compilation that someone here (I think maybe it was Desade?) put together of their earlier stuff. The earlier stuff is pretty much straight ahead alt-country, and is very good, and Folklore is a much more brooding affair.

Hopefully some others will weigh in on their output for you.

Stone
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    I probably have a least one or two tracks on comps I have, but I'd have to dig through them to find out.
    Yeah, probably. There's an earlier track on A Decade of Alt-Country that I described as "scary hellfire and damnation" and there's a song from Folklore on Uncle Davey's Holiday Mixer, which was my year end comp in 2002. The first one is a fast-charging, dark song that typifies a lot of their earlier sound while the latter is a more slow and brooding acoustic affair, both cloaked in strong religious imagery. Quite a few people here really liked Folklore, I believe. Really nice sound to it. The recording captures the feel and emotion of the music extremely well.

I wonder if Jar will like (or even recognize) my new avatar?

EDIT: Oh yeah, they do a pretty cool version of Joy Division's "Day of the Lord" on the live Hoarse album, and I guess that would be a good place to start in describing their sound - a slightly twangy Joy Division
    Last edited by Davey; 04-22-2004 at 11:53 AM. Reason: for the love of joy division

Thread Information