OK guys...help me find some rock from 2004...

I've found quite a few things I've liked in 2004, the new Streets, the new Beastie Boys, Dizzee Rascal, Bonnie "Prince" Billy, Kanye West, Cee Lo Green is the Soul Machine, and some others, but very little strong rock stuff. The old folks have done OK with a strong new Morrissey disc and a solid effort from the Cure. I even like the new Prince.

I still haven't picked up the new McLusky, but figure that will help me out a bit once I grab it.

I'm not looking for anything fancy. Last year I really enjoyed releases by Kings of Leon, Jet, White Stripes, and some others to get my rock fix. The 80s influenced stuff like Hot Hot Heat and the Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs seemed to rock more than the more New Wave 80s influences showing up now.

This year, I've found plenty to like, the hip hop stuff listed above, some electronic stuff, Lali Puna, the Books, the new Deadelus and some other stuff, but precious little that kicks me in the ass.

What am I missing?

Or should I just keep picking up old Jazz LPs? (just found copies of Horace Silver's Song for my Father and a very good copy of Monk's Dream)

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Does it have to be 2004? A few great late in 2003 releases that you might like are:

The Trews - House of Ill Fame - this is a great Rock and Roll CD full of energy. I put this on at a listening station and my foot tapped non-stop the whole time I listened. If you like Jet and Kings of Leon, there's lots on here that you'll like. The music ranges from pop to blues to alternative. The lyrics are kind of lame and pretty repetitive, but the music rocks out nicely to make up for that. It's a fun CD.

Three Days Grace - s/t - More of a punk or post-grunge band. This is another rock disk that had me hooked from day one. This is a less clean rock sound. Of the bands that you listed in your post, I would say that the style is most like The White Stripes, only much more complex in the musical arrangements. Lots of bass and drums though. I had the pleasure of seeing these guys live, opening for Nickelback. They were an awesome live act. Very comfortable on stage for such a young act. Similar sound to bands like Nickelback and Staind (except Staind suck ).

Finger Eleven - s/t - This is somewhere in between The Trews and TDG. Another good rock effort. I'd even go so far as to say that a couple of the tracks border on the proggy side, but definately maintaining their metal-rock sound. Not as heavy as Three Days Grace, but certainly noisier than The Trews.

Thornley - Come Again - Finally, a 2004 release! Thornley is fronted by former Big Wreck lead singer, Ian Thornley. Of the little I've heard of Big Wreck, Thornley sounds nothing like them. For a description of the music, go back to my Three Days Grace description. Not surprising since the two CDs had the same producer.

Did you get a copy of my Canadian Toonies comp last winter? If so, there are tracks from The Trews and Three Days Grace on that. If not, I can put together a sampler of these bands for you if you're interested. Let me know.

Cheers!
    FA

Quote Originally Posted by nobody
    I've found quite a few things I've liked in 2004, the new Streets, the new Beastie Boys, Dizzee Rascal, Bonnie "Prince" Billy, Kanye West, Cee Lo Green is the Soul Machine, and some others, but very little strong rock stuff. The old folks have done OK with a strong new Morrissey disc and a solid effort from the Cure. I even like the new Prince.

I still haven't picked up the new McLusky, but figure that will help me out a bit once I grab it.

I'm not looking for anything fancy. Last year I really enjoyed releases by Kings of Leon, Jet, White Stripes, and some others to get my rock fix. The 80s influenced stuff like Hot Hot Heat and the Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs seemed to rock more than the more New Wave 80s influences showing up now.

This year, I've found plenty to like, the hip hop stuff listed above, some electronic stuff, Lali Puna, the Books, the new Deadelus and some other stuff, but precious little that kicks me in the ass.

What am I missing?

Or should I just keep picking up old Jazz LPs? (just found copies of Horace Silver's Song for my Father and a very good copy of Monk's Dream)
    I reeaaaly like the Les Savy Fav album Inches. Just picked up Secret Machines Now Here Is Nowhere, but I haven't formed an opinion yet. Did you get The Constantines album Shine A Light? It's not from this year, but I just got it and it's the most enjoyable new listen for me of the last few months.
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

I almost picked up that Secret Machines, but grabbed those jazz LPs instead since I had been looking for them for quite a while.

I'll have to check out the other ones you've mentioned as I haven't heard them.

I'll agree with the Thornly recommendation, great CD. Love it!

Also check out the new Tantric CD, After We Go. Not a slow moment on the whole disc. In fact, the weakest song (to me) is the cover of F'wood Mac's The Chain.

Also must get the new Dada, How to Be Found. The boys are back!

You might try The Icarus Line - Penance Soiree

It's not very original, but it does rock but good.

John

Thread Information