Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    Well that explains it nicely, thanks for that. Since that's the case, I'm a flamer all the way. I didn't really like too many without wood grain but I'm a wood grain kinda guy.

Good advice on the other things and to be sure, many other family members are getting him guitar related accessories as their gifts to him and I know for a fact that a stand in among them. The book on care isn't overlooked either since I want him replacing his own strings from here on out.

Regards,
    jc

Jim,

You are such a kind and thoughtful Dad. Through your posts through the years (and our emails), I have always felt you were the epitome of what a father should be. You sealed the deal with this thread. God bless you, and I just hope your family knows how lucky they are to have you.

Merry Christmas!
    Ag
    "And the three gifts of moving on are forgiveness, hope, and the great beyond, After that perhaps peace can come, Peace will come." -- Mary Chapin Carpenter (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by Audio Girl
    Jim,

You are such a kind and thoughtful Dad. Through your posts through the years (and our emails), I have always felt you were the epitome of what a father should be. You sealed the deal with this thread. God bless you, and I just hope your family knows how lucky they are to have you.

Merry Christmas!
    Ag
    Thanks for that, but the reality is that this one in particular is a better person than I will ever be. Little smarmy tale, but one that I'm proud to relate and it's even kind of music related. Condensed version: Every year Mason saves some money in an envelope labeled for poor children and uses it to buy Christmas gifts for the less fortunate. Yesterday we were stunned to learn that he had saved 130.00. 130.00 may not sound like a lot but he only gets 10 bucks a week from us. He called the City Mission and they said they could use watches and personal CD players. We went to BB and he asked for a price break so he could maximize his dollars and he bought 10 cd players and batteries to go with them and then he delivered it to the Family Christmas Store at the City Union Mission.

I don't recall if I mentioned it in this thread, but we were considering asking Mason to kick in a little towards his guitar since it was more than we originally planned to spend. After yesterday there's no way on God's green earth that this kid is going to pay for squat!

Merry Christmas and the best to you and your family too Mary. It's good to have you back around.

Regards,
    jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

PDK
    Forum Regular
    Thanks for that, but the reality is that this one in particular is a better person than I will ever be...We went to BB and he asked for a price break so he could maximize his dollars and he bought 10 cd players and batteries to go with them and then he delivered it to the Family Christmas Store at the City Union Mission.

I don't recall if I mentioned it in this thread, but we were considering asking Mason to kick in a little towards his guitar since it was more than we originally planned to spend. After yesterday there's no way on God's green earth that this kid is going to pay for squat!
    I've long believed that a man is ultimately measured by the character of his children. Bless you and yours!

My experience and two cents on the thread:

I've found that my first guitar was tremendously important. My first guitar: a "Grande" Les Paul copy. I got exactly what I paid for: Not much. However, it just whet my appetite to improve my playing and my equipment. Decades later, I've got a brother that is an Epiphone and Gibson dealer so I own several custom shop pieces from each but wish dearly that I still had that cheap, warped-neck, lightweight, tune-resistant piece of junk that suffered innumerable attempts at "Barracuda" on it. Tell your son to hold onto whatever you get him...

Let me know where to send my check...

Thanks for that, but the reality is that this one in particular is a better person than I will ever be. Little smarmy tale, but one that I'm proud to relate and it's even kind of music related. Condensed version: Every year Mason saves some money in an envelope labeled for poor children and uses it to buy Christmas gifts for the less fortunate. Yesterday we were stunned to learn that he had saved 130.00. 130.00 may not sound like a lot but he only gets 10 bucks a week from us. He called the City Mission and they said they could use watches and personal CD players. We went to BB and he asked for a price break so he could maximize his dollars and he bought 10 cd players and batteries to go with them and then he delivered it to the Family Christmas Store at the City Union Mission.

Merry Christmas and the best to you and your family too Mary. It's good to have you back around.

Regards,
    jc
    to help pay for his guitar or to add to his "City Union Mission" fund. If I'm too late, make sure you ask me next year. I'm not kidding. What a great kid.

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by PDK
    I've long believed that a man is ultimately measured by the character of his children.
    What ever you do, don't tell this to my father!!!
    There's an audiophile born every minute. Congratulations; you're right on time.

FREE RADICAL RADIO: Hours of free, radical MP3s!

OK... IMHO the kid deserves a better amp! Get 'em a Marshall stack or something, alright already?

Merry Christmas JIm, you've a fine son and you're a fantastic father. There's nothing more precious in life than that (assuming mothers go in there somewhere too).
    There's an audiophile born every minute. Congratulations; you're right on time.

FREE RADICAL RADIO: Hours of free, radical MP3s!

Regards,
    jc

Hi, Jim:

Just wanted to share with you an ironic story that occurred on Christmas Eve. My best friend, a single mom, called me late morning and said she had been able to put the money together and wanted to purchase an electric guitar for her 14-year-old son (who is her youngest...her oldest boy is in Iraq with the USMC at the moment). Rhett received an old, beat up guitar this past summer and had taught himself how to play. His primary request for Christmas had been an electric guitar, he had shown her numerous guitars on the internet but she hadn't paid much attention because she didn't think the funds were going to be available. Could I help? As a matter of fact, I might...but only because of this thread.

To make a very long story short, we were able to locate an Epiphone Les Paul Standard in ebony at the Guitar Center (this guitar was actually a little over her budget, but GC was out of the Les Paul 100). Here is the amp package she purchased:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/products..._103406674.jpg

The salesman threw in a case & guitar stand, and we were on our way at about 4:45 P.M. The store closed at 5:00 p.m.

Needless to say, Rhett loved his guitar and amp (I wasn't sure about the amp but Rhett felt like it would serve him well at this point in time). When she called me last night to report the success on this purchase, I could hear Rhett playing away in the background. It really made my Christmas to know this young man had been able to receive something that he truly deserved. Like Mason, Rhett is a thoughtful and caring young man, always trying to help others rather than seeking out things for himself.

Thank heavens for this thread...otherwise I wouldn't have had a clue nor would my friend! Thought you would enjoy the story...

Happy New Year, Jim!
    Ag
    "And the three gifts of moving on are forgiveness, hope, and the great beyond, After that perhaps peace can come, Peace will come." -- Mary Chapin Carpenter (2007)

FYI ~ Rhett's guitar looked exactly like this one:

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?...CollectionID=6

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Audio Girl
    FYI ~ Rhett's guitar looked exactly like this one:

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?...CollectionID=6

Cheers!
    That is absolutely awesome. What a good looking guitar, no wonder the young man is happy. I really didn't know that there were so many knowledgeable guitar people around here but with hindsight, I guess I should have known. This little joint is packed with information, some of it a bit more useful than other but that's one of the reasons this has remained my internet home over so many years.

Let's hope that somewhere along the line that some of these young people end up making some music that we all will enjoy. Mainly though, let's hope that those Americans still in Iraq can get out both safely and quickly.

Regards,
    jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information