Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Elton John Fans

Forum Regular

Elton John Fans

Hey yall...............there is a blurb on YAHOO this morning about Elton getting married soon to a cute guy 16 years his junior.......anybody know which one is the top ?

"Not that there's anything wrong with that."

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Hard to belive as he is openly gay and has had the same boyfriend for years now. Would be a nice change of pace.
    Look & Listen

I still think that 4-5 album run in the early 70s is brilliant.

He should have retired decades ago.

Forum Regular
    Troy...... you are right again.

Starting with TUMBLEWEED CONNECTION, he had a few years of amazing productivity of quality music.

Since then, he has been stuck in the unoriginal mode.

I mean, hey...........when Princess Diana died, he felt the need to re-hash an old song he wrote about Ms. Monroe (Norma Jean).

Quote Originally Posted by MasterCylinder
    I mean, hey...........when Princess Diana died, he felt the need to re-hash an old song he wrote about Ms. Monroe (Norma Jean).
    Unforgivable, IMO.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    Unforgivable, IMO.
    I agree. However, I watched a biography on him recently, in which he said that he was asked to do this for her funeral. He was given a choice of two songs...Candle in the Wind was one, I can't remember what the second one was. I also don't recall who it was that asked him to do it. Maybe her family. It was still a dumb song.

Tumbleweed was prolly his best....

Quote Originally Posted by MasterCylinder
    Troy...... you are right again.

Starting with TUMBLEWEED CONNECTION, he had a few years of amazing productivity of quality music.

Since then, he has been stuck in the unoriginal mode.

along with Madman. Yellow Brick Road had some highlight, but it wasn't my fave.

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Yes, but it wasn't as bad as that really stoopid...

Unforgivable, IMO.
    Sasson commercial where he altered the lyrics of his dreadful "hit" Sad Songs. Pure dreck!

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

Unforgivable, IMO.
    Somebodys lame and its not EJ.
    Look & Listen

Quote Originally Posted by shokhead
    Somebodys lame and its not EJ.
    Hey, if you want to talk about it, talk about it.

Snippy crap like your post is the truly LAME thing.

You can't tell me that it was cool for him to bastardize that song like that. I think it's just as lame as selling your iconic songs for shampoo or beer too.

You can't tell me that EJ has made anything after 1976 or so that holds a candle to the pre-'76 albums. Not from what I heard, and I've heard a bunch.

In the 70s EJ was a terriffic musician and showman. Now he's more interested in "celebrity" than music. Today, EJ's a bufoon, a cartoon.

Forum Regular
    You can't tell me that EJ has made anything after 1976 or so that holds a candle to the pre-'76 albums. Not from what I heard, and I've heard a bunch.
    In the 70s EJ was a terriffic musician and showman. Now he's more interested in "celebrity" than music. Today, EJ's a bufoon, a cartoon.
    You wouldn't find much of an argument from me on that. In fact I was thinking about picking up the Honky Chateau SACD and just got an e-mail from BMG with their latest specials. They're selling what little SACDs they have for $4.99 each. Hell, at that price I may pick up a few others as well.

Hey, if you want to talk about it, talk about it.

Snippy crap like your post is the truly LAME thing.

You can't tell me that it was cool for him to bastardize that song like that. I think it's just as lame as selling your iconic songs for shampoo or beer too.

Well ok. That bufoon and a cartoon comment is lame again. You're doing pretrty good. You must have more insight about EJ.
    Look & Listen

Well ok. That bufoon and a cartoon comment is lame again. You're doing pretrty good. You must have more insight about EJ.
    No, see, you're supposed to share your opinion as to why I'm wrong, not insult me because I insult EJ. Are you his publicist or what?

Why don't you think EJ is a cartoon and bufoon today? Why don't you think he's more interested in celebrity than in making compelling music?

(Again, this is from a fan. Tumblweed thru Piano Player, maybe Caribou are indispensible "must own" albums. Madman and GBYBR are 5 star records.)

CP dont seem to think he's a cartoon or bufoon. Concerts sell out for top ticket prices. Last CD was good,not great. Most the guys his age,EC,PM,BD, and most the others havent had ant great CD's as they had in the past. Plays as good as ever. Cant hold those notes but that happens and you should expect that when you see him.
    Look & Listen

CP dont seem to think he's a cartoon or bufoon. Concerts sell out for top ticket prices. Last CD was good,not great. Most the guys his age,EC,PM,BD, and most the others havent had ant great CD's as they had in the past. Plays as good as ever. Cant hold those notes but that happens and you should expect that when you see him.
    CP? Who is CP?

EC- Eric Clapton? Paul McCartney? Bob Dylan? Am I right about those names? I agree, none of these guys has done anything worthy of their press in 20+years. People buy their CDs because they are programmed to by pop culture and their memories of when these artists were good.

It's like the new Star Wars movie. The last 2 SW movies were cheesy cornball crap with incredibly bad acting and dialog. The plot is predetermined by the movies that follow in the timeline. Everybody knows what's going to happen in it. Everyone knows all this, and it will STILL do $100 million opening weekend because we are programmed dolts as a culture.

Popular does NOT mean good.

Selling out concerts doesn't necessarily mean that you are creating anything good TODAY or that you are not only trading on your past 70s glory.

I saw McCartney last summer and he was pretty blah. Going thru the motions.

All those guys you mentioned- they should ALL retire. They look silly, 50+ year olds prancing around, acting like teenage rockstars. They look like idiots. EJ is the worst of the bunch . . . except for maybe Mick Jagger.

Forum Regular
    Popular does NOT mean good.

Selling out concerts doesn't necessarily mean that you are creating anything good TODAY or that you are not only trading on your past 70s glory.

All those guys you mentioned- they should ALL retire. They look silly, 50+ year olds prancing around, acting like teenage rockstars. They look like idiots. EJ is the worst of the bunch . . . except for maybe Mick Jagger.
    True, popular does not necessarily mean good. If being good were the standard by which we judge music, 95% of the crap from any given era would never have been released. The 50+ year olds don't have the corner on that market by the way, not by a longshot, think Ashlee or Britney.

All those guys should retire? Why? Because you think they look silly? Perhaps they do but as long as they keep selling, (for better or for worse), they'll still be out there. And fwiw, I think Ashlee and Britney look just as silly - they just have less wrinkles. I guess I'd much rather see a boring and aged McCartney up on stage, singing Beatles' classics than a lip sync-ing Ashlee. But I'm probably a bit older than you.

I agree on the McCartney comment...

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye
    True, popular does not necessarily mean good. If being good were the standard by which we judge music, 95% of the crap from any given era would never have been released. The 50+ year olds don't have the corner on that market by the way, not by a longshot, think Ashlee or Britney.

All those guys should retire? Why? Because you think they look silly? Perhaps they do but as long as they keep selling, (for better or for worse), they'll still be out there. And fwiw, I think Ashlee and Britney look just as silly - they just have less wrinkles. I guess I'd much rather see a boring and aged McCartney up on stage, singing Beatles' classics than a lip sync-ing Ashlee. But I'm probably a bit older than you.
    as I wouldn't give those young chicks the time of day, but I can't see paying big $ to see McCartney either, and his tickets got for major bucks. I also agree with Troy about the aging rock stars trying to keep things goings until....whatever. I guess if I were in their shoes and still needed the money, I would take it too, but how can Mick Jagger still need money? He has to be worth more than some Third World Countries! Maybe his ego needs to be fed and that's why he's still performing. The Stones are one of the "older" bands I would still pay to see, but there aren't many others I can think of at the moment. Sir
    Elton John has been writing plenty of "hit" songs for years, but most are destined for MOR fm stations, along with the rest of the disposable pop garbage that fills up the airwaves. His best years are waaaaaaaay behind him.

Swish

I'll look silly for 30 million ayear anyday. They will keep going as long as the money is there and why not. C Palace.
    Look & Listen

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye

I'm 44. I guessing I'm older than you think . . .

Your "As long as they keep selling" comment is very telling. I comes back to my previous comment about the new Star Wars movie. People buy tix to these old fart's concerts because A) they are trying to relive their youth, B) they don't know that anything else is available, C) they buy into the whole cult of celebrity and are going to see these guys BECAUSE they are celebs, not because they think the music is great.

My comments were in no way a positive nod to the teenyboppers, believe me. You will find no fans of that stuff on the "Rave Recs" board. The point is, there are plenty of young, vital bands out there making music that is far more interesting and entertaining than the crap like a geezer Rolling Stones tour or some lip-sync-er teenaged sexbomb that the corporate hype machine force-feeds us. My point is that there ARE alternatives, but most people are perfectly happy fitting into the ABC list above.

Rock and roll is a young person's game. It's about counter-culture, revolution and pissing your parents and the establishment off. Multi-millionaire 57 year old rockstars touring 30 year old songs does not resemble in any way the whole ethos and mythology of what rock is supposed to be!

Well there's a lot more crap bands now then ever before. Can anyone carry a tune or hold a note? Nothing that i've heard. I'll listen to Jouney,beatles, EJ, and so on over and over before i'll even think about the radio.
    Look & Listen

bow down before the one you serve

Nothing that i've heard. I'll listen to Jouney,beatles, EJ, and so on over and over before i'll even think about the radio.
    Then you're getting exactly what you deserve.
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Question

Give me,oh say 5 bands of the last couple of years with either a lead singer that could hold a note or a band that can harmonize like the beatles or beach boys. Name them so i can check them out.
    I'm getting what i deserve,give me a break.
    Look & Listen

Give me,oh say 5 bands of the last couple of years with either a lead singer that could hold a note or a band that can harmonize like the beatles or beach boys. Name them so i can check them out.
    I'm getting what i deserve,give me a break.
    Hi Shok!

I'm really sorry you can't find any recent music to compete with Journey or even the Beach Boys. As for holding a note, the list I might come up with is too long. As for harmonizing, well the Beach Boys were special in that regard, after some studio tricks. Not that I expect any conversions here, but here's you a list of some of my favorites from the last coupla years that more than qualify in one or both of your criteria (and I'm an OLD mofo):

Sun Kil Moon
    Jason Molina in either of his guises as Songs: Ohia or Magnolia Electric Company
    Jesse Sykes and The Sweet Hereafter
    Neko Case
    Damon & Naomi
    Josh Ritter
    Jay Farrar

....O my, I went over the limit. Sorry. And that's a very small sampling. Hope you find something you like, whether it's from this list or on yr own! Have a great day!.
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

Forum Regular
    Troy, you're right, I wouldn't have guessed you are 44, I had you pegged for a bit younger, though I am still a few years older than you ;-) I still would go to see McCartney if tics were more reasonable, though quite honestly mostly just to say I saw a Beatle perform, since I was too young to see them back in the 60s. So (above), I guess I'd fall into category A and C, somewhat....but is that such a bad thing?
    I didn't take your comments as a nod towards "teenybopper" music, and certainly didn't mean to imply their "music" was your frame of reference. I was just trying to make a point that music and acts we find personally distasteful are out there, whether we like it or not. So it doesn't bother me, I guess, that Mick, Elton, and the old boys are still out there, I'll just do what any consumer does: vote with my wallet.

Swish, with Jagger, and a few others, I think its more than the money that keeps them returning. I think either they still feel they still have something relevant to contribute or possibly there's a fear of doing your last gig, your last album. Possibly a fear of their own mortality, though I guess that hasn't stopped them from dragging Keith Richard's sorry a$$ corpse up on stage all these years. I saw the Stones 20 or 25 years ago and wondered then why they were still doing it. I think the money is only part of it.

Troy:

>Bob Dylan? I agree, none of these guys has done anything worthy of their press in 20+years. People buy their CDs because they are programmed to by pop culture and their memories of when these artists were good.

I thought Time Out Of Mind was perhaps a bit overrated, but Love & Theft was the best Dylan rec I've heard since Blood On The Tracks. You're a Dylan fan? I have to disagree with you on this assessment. The irony is that it has everything to do with yr comments on the nature of r'n'r being a young man's game. It's the artists that adapt to age & don't keep trying to make the same r'n'r record that expose the Rolling Stones for what they are--a nostalgia act that'd fare far better if they made a reggae rec or a blues rec or, hell, an Oi! rec. Instead of the same mediocre original rock music recs they've been turning out for 25 years now. The Dylan rec is nothing of the sort.

BTW I don't have a big problem with artists selling their tunes for commercial use, whether you or anyone else find the tunes in question to be iconic or not. In some cases it's not even the artist's decision; in others it represents a better payday than they ever saw. Read up on some of Pete Townshend's exploits with BMI over the years. He also pointed out that if someone's view of one of his tunes is so 'iconic,' then it's pretty darned shallow of them to allow a commercial usage of the song to affect their memories of the song so profoundly--especially when the radio industry has boiled his career down to, oh, five songs or so. On the other hand, there seems to be a marked difference in recent years, probably because of cable systems, in how frequently commercials are presented when they're in heavy rotation. The same 10-second snippets of the same song we've all heard 500 million times is irritating after one viewing/listening. But that & the usage of My Generation nearly 20 years ago are two different things.

Shokhead:

>Well there's a lot more crap bands now then ever before. Can anyone carry a tune or hold a note? Nothing that i've heard. I'll listen to Jouney

Outside of pointing out that we don't all have to live by what you have or haven't heard, I'll leave that comment to stand by itself.

>Give me,oh say 5 bands of the last couple of years with either a lead singer that could hold a note or a band that can harmonize like the beatles or beach boys. Name them

Ask yr pal Brian Wilson about the Wondermints, okay? Then make sure you stay away from bands like Rooney, Fountains Of Wayne, the Ditty Bops, the Rosenbergs, Sweet Apple Pie...hey, Big Star's got a new record coming out. Do they count? Naw, & I guess the Posies don't qualify either, do they. Uhhh...you wanted someone who can hold a note? Cobain's dead 10 years, so don't pick up any Lucinda Williams recs, or Green Day, Madeleine Peyroux, Ray LaMontagne, Ben Folds, or Bebel Gilberto...and you don't want to hear Petra Haden Sings The Who Sell Out, really, you don't. Because...there just isn't any good music anymore. Nobody can sing or harmonize--thanks for the tip.

Boring.

I don't like others.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information