I agree. I don't see what was wrong with the jewel case which could easily be replaced if broken. I see more & more digipaks, which you can't do much with if the plastic part breaks or comes unglued, & packages that are even worse, where the disc slides into a tight sleeve, ensuring scuffs the first time you pull it out. It's pushing me more & more towards not caring about the packaging at all & getting more used to the idea of music on hard drives only.

I don't like others.

CD packaging - what are they thinking?

I just wrestled the Wolf Parade CD out of it's crappy little cardboard sleeve for the third stinking time and the disc already has a fingerprint and a scuff. Why on earth would anybody package a CD in such a crappy fashion? Arcade Fire pulled this crap last year, I"m afraid to see what that CD looks like after all the times I played it. The new Sigur Ros CD is very similar but at least it's crammed in the sleeve vertically which is actually a slight improvement. Of course those geniuses decided to go vertical with the entire package so it won't fit in the rack like all of the other CDs. Whoever decided it was a good idea to place the CD in a package where you can't remove it without touching the back of the disc and also have to drag that disc across the rest of the packaging should be banned from working in this or any related field for life.

Consider me annoyed and fed up.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Just don't ever put it back in -- put it in one of those slimline jewel boxes, and be done with it.

Although I hate Digipaks, I like some of those "homemade-ish" packaging (a la Constellation).
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

I liked being able to replace jewel cases

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    Consider me annoyed and fed up.
    me too

Now, my digi-pak Porky Tree Coma Divine is ok; it still has the clear plastic snap-on base on a cardboard frame, with the booklet in the sleeve. A few Yes remasters come with the same, reasonable digi-pak design, but my copy of King Crimson's Thrak is in one of those quasi LP sleeves, and it doesn't fit in any CD rack or holder, and it has a few scratches on it now.

I thought we were supposed to be saving the trees?

Personally I like the look and feel of digipaks. I love buying a new Pearl Jam album to see what they've done with the artwork and how the case is laid out.

I like Digipacks, they are a nice hybrid design allowing for clearer, more interesting graphics while still protecting the disc by holding it by the center-hole.

However, I own a couple of digipacks and the center spindle has broken tabs. The disc is just flopping in there and if you don't remember when you grab it off the shelf, the disc ends up falling on the floor EVERY time. Bad. And no way to replace the spindle. Really bad.

At least with Jewel cases, they are easily replaced when they inevitably shatter.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    I like Digipacks, they are a nice hybrid design allowing for clearer, more interesting graphics while still protecting the disc by holding it by the center-hole.

However, I own a couple of digipacks and the center spindle has broken tabs. The disc is just flopping in there and if you don't remember when you grab it off the shelf, the disc ends up falling on the floor EVERY time. Bad. And no way to replace the spindle. Really bad.

At least with Jewel cases, they are easily replaced when they inevitably shatter.
    I don't so much mind the digipacks with the center hole mounting (that just doesn't sound good, does it?) The sleeves remain the absolute worst idea ever, it never works.

jc
    yeah, still pissed.
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

The sleeve issue is one of my big gripes with the "mini-LP" covers that seem to be all the rage these days. I hate those packages.

However, most of them come with little teflon sleeves for the disc to live in. Maybe you should try to scrounge one up someplace, Jim. Still. I think they end up in a ball inside the sleeve (like they did with LPs) anyway.

When CD first came along, Aside from the size of the artwork, I was one of the only people on earth that actually LIKED the jewel case design. I still do.

CD packaging thoughts

If I had any say in the matter I would require the industry to go to the style hub relase that DVD's use. The push the center to release hub type. Manufacturing the insert tray with the hub would require a change in plastic material - polystyrene to polyproplyne? Its a question of a hard brittle plastic vs. a softer more pliable plastic. The same tray could be manufactured for DigiPaks also and just glued, bonded to the cardboard. Mostly though manufacturing & assembly the disc is pushed onto the styrene hub and the tabs sometimes breaks off . Or in the shipping procces these fingers will break off rendering the tray useless for holding the CD /DVD.
    For all you folks with cardboard covers and single/double digipaks the Japanese Mylar sleeves do offer protection to the artwork and rareity of the releases. Virgin reissues!!! I got a pack of 100 for 10 bucks and every one of my cardboards / digipaks that fit are stored that way. Small consequence to pay for perserving a music library. What did you do to vinyl when it was so precious??? Remember plactic sleeve covers. Those old albums in reasonable playing/ sound shape and that have clean, lightly worn outer lp jackets go for a lot of money in the used record exchanges these days.
    Just some thoughts -

Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    However, I own a couple of digipacks and the center spindle has broken tabs. The disc is just flopping in there and if you don't remember when you grab it off the shelf, the disc ends up falling on the floor EVERY time. Bad. And no way to replace the spindle.
    If you can figure out how to get the whole thing out, you can use these replacement backings. Otherwise, finish breaking off the rest of the tabs, and then put one of these hubs on (or this one). I can't vouch for the latter, as they tried to send me samples without protection, and they got smooshed in the mail.

Plus, you can always use them as fake nipples for Halloween.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Hell i cant get the stink'n plastic and that dam clear tape crap off.
    Look & Listen

Quote Originally Posted by shokhead
    to get the plastic off easily you can just very quickly drag the bottom of the case over a sharp corner (think formica counter top edge). It will shred the plastic for easy removal.

I've got no answer for the tape as it continues to challenge me a lot more than it probably should at this point.

jc

to get the plastic off easily you can just very quickly drag the bottom of the case over a sharp corner (think formica counter top edge). It will shred the plastic for easy removal.

I've got no answer for the tape as it continues to challenge me a lot more than it probably should at this point.

jc
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

sunshine came softly Monkey Bones's Avatar
    Once you peel off that edge label security (or whatever the stupid fuckin thing it's for) tape I've found a little bit of WD40 on a rag will get the residue right off with no ill effects to the plastic.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Bones
    Once you peel off that edge label security (or whatever the stupid fuckin thing it's for) tape I've found a little bit of WD40 on a rag will get the residue right off with no ill effects to the plastic.
    That's good to know. I tried nail polish remover once. Big mistake. It totally ruined the case.

What does that do to your formica, Jim? I would think that would wear grooves in it really quickly.

Taking off the tape at the top:
    Pop both hinges on the cover so that the sticker acts as the hinge. Then slowly peel each half. It comes off really clean with the added leverage. By your 3rd one, you'll be really smooth with it.

Sometimes you get really old discs, been on the shelf for years and the glue fails and welds itself to the case. It picks up carpet fuzz and stray nose hairs every time you set it down. At that point I prefer Bestine to WD40 because its really pure. Toxic as hell, but pure. But still, at that point I would just transfer the disc and paper to one of the 9000 clean spare cases I got laying around.

Quote Originally Posted by shokhead
    God, no sh!t.

Worst idea ever. If I ever met the guy who invented that, I'd put him in a room with YECH and a stereo blasting prog.

fp

If I can jump in here!peanut butter will take the residue off too and you'll have a nice snack too!

Alan

Although I like the look of Digipaks, they are not very durable, and don't fit into a lot of my CD racks (basically the ones with the single slots that are sized for a jewel case). For whatever reason, I've also found that the Digipaks melt in the car a lot easier than jewel cases do.

Forum Regular
    Mobile Fidelity has THE BEST CD packaging IMO. The CD is easily removed without bending the disc or pushing on a central hub and worrying about broken spindle pieces. It avoids the mandatory fingerprinting and eventual scratching of digipacks. When the case is closed the disc is 100% locked into place. The case itself even has a better locking feature than standard jewel cases.

It's the benchmark for the industry.

BillB

Quote Originally Posted by Stone

I have one of those (in blue) and it works fantastic.

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    From where?
    Look & Listen

Tower used to give them away for free at the counter when you bought something. I think they have to charge for it now.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    Tower used to give them away for free at the counter when you bought something. I think they have to charge for it now.

I think that is how I got mine. I ordered a bunch of CDs online and they included one for free.

Thread Information