My Morning Jacket Concert - Last Night in Toronto

Hey, Fellow RaveWreckers.

Last night I had the opportunity to take in the My Morning Jacket (MMJ) with my lovely wife.

The band began at 10:10 and played way past midnight.

I never realized what a great live band these guys are. There were great moments where all three "axe-men" were slashing away at their respective guitars, while facing their enthusisatic drummer - backs, of course, turned away from the audience.

Jim James has a wonderful voice that often became an instrument alongside all the other instruments. At times, the Sigur Ros influence was apparent as Jim sang only in sounds, not words. The sounds emanating from his vocal chords alone where mesmerizing and captivating.

Most of the time the band's music was awash in melodic reverb that enhanced, but never overpowered the music and the vocals.

Pretty well all of the new album "Z" was performed, as well as several gems off of "It Still Moves" and "At Dawn".

I, especially loved the way country whisps infiltrated the electric guitars to create something very unique -- not unlike, Wilco's recent experimentations with feedback on its acoustic numbers, as experienced on their last tour.

All in all, MMJ put on a great show that brought the new album alive, for us and heightened our appreciation of the genius' in this band.

For your pleasure,

audiobill (a-day's-old from Toronto)

Sounds nice! Still haven't heard the new one yet. Saw them on one of the talk shows awhile back after the last album and they did rock the place down. Keep it going like that much longer and them guys are gonna get popular, huh?

Forum Regular
    Sounds like a good gig Bill. I've been getting to grips with their latest release for the last few days which is quite different from their last with some poppy upbeat stuff. I'm still not sure if I like the way they record those Jim James vocals though they sound like they were recorded in an aircraft hangar at times but the songs really get under your skin.

Cheers
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    Sounds like a good gig Bill. I've been getting to grips with their latest release for the last few days which is quite different from their last with some poppy upbeat stuff. I'm still not sure if I like the way they record those Jim James vocals though they sound like they were recorded in an aircraft hangar at times but the songs really get under your skin.

Cheers
    Mike
    The sound on the last one is quite poor. In fact, I love the music on "Z" (perhaps more so than their previous one); yet, the recording suffers from low-fi indiitis.
    Man, the sound at the show was outstanding.
    If only they can capture that in the recording studio.

Cheers,
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Sounds nice! Still haven't heard the new one yet. Saw them on one of the talk shows awhile back after the last album and they did rock the place down. Keep it going like that much longer and them guys are gonna get popular, huh?

As with any band (and you know this well, Dave), there's that fine line between popularity and catering to the masses. I hope it's the first and not the latter that occurs.

You should try the new one - I think you'd like it.

Cheers,

Bill

Thread Information